2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just also received the same letter about applying to their masters program. Waitlisted 9/13 II session!
I’m on the waitlist (12/2 interview) but I haven’t received anything about the masters program. Besides the survey on workday, I haven’t received any communication from the school at all. I wonder why the difference? Was there an option to opt-in for communications somewhere that I’ve missed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m on the waitlist (12/2 interview) but I haven’t received anything about the masters program. Besides the survey on workday, I haven’t received any communication from the school at all. I wonder why the difference? Was there an option to opt-in for communications somewhere that I’ve missed?
Same thing here. I didn't get an email for the survey, I just happened to log into workdays and see it. Not sure if that was the same for other people

Reactions: 1 user
is there any way to make sure we have met all the matriculation requirements before the 5/1 deadline? do we just check the 'Actions' folder on Workday, and if its empty, does it mean we have met all matriculation requirements?
I received the following email:
"Title: Complete Admissions Onboarding
Dear xxx, this is to notify you that we have received all required information for incoming admissions onboarding requirements at this time. You will continue to receive additional requirements to complete for other departments prior to orientiation."
My inbox was also empty for a while but now it is populated with Financial Aid/Loan paperwork. Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email about finial aid/loan work. If I sign those papers, am I binding to anything?

Also, does that mean they’ve made me a financial aid package? I haven’t gotten any info from them since my A almost two months ago.

I got an email about finial aid/loan work. If I sign those papers, am I binding to anything?

Also, does that mean they’ve made me a financial aid package? I haven’t gotten any info from them since my A almost two months ago.
Not sure of the answer to your first question, but your financial aid package should be on Workday! Menu -> Finances -> View Financial Aid

• Love
i see the financial aid stuff. Can I wait to do the forms and accept the offer later since I’m waiting on some other WL schools?

Also, I think I didn’t even get a single scholarship :/ that’s wack…. and the COA is crazy

Will be declining my acceptance, hope this helps one of you guys out there!

Do you do 3rd and 4th yr rotations in the same hospital? Is it generally easy to get into your first choice?

Do you do 3rd and 4th yr rotations in the same hospital? Is it generally easy to get into your first choice?

For your first question, it depends where you're at, but usually no. For your second question, the trend the past two years has been yes. You just have to write an essay about why you want a particular spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have a new secondary fee show up on workday today?

Beyond the acceptance deposit and matriculation deposit?

Beyond the acceptance deposit and matriculation deposit?
I’m on the waitlist and today a new secondary fee popped up that hadn’t been there before (I paid the secondary app fee with my secondary app last September)

I’m on the waitlist and today a new secondary fee popped up that hadn’t been there before (I paid the secondary app fee with my secondary app last September)
You can ignore that. It was a system error

I’ve checked this damn website like 30 times today….absolutely silent

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist? Did you all send a letter of intent?

Just accepted of the waitlist for KC campus! I interviewed 1/26 and sent a letter of interest a few weeks ago. Super excited but confused because the email said accepted for the class of 2028? Maybe a typo?

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted of the waitlist for KC campus! I interviewed 1/26 and sent a letter of interest a few weeks ago. Super excited but confused because the email said accepted for the class of 2028? Maybe a typo?
Same! got into the Kansas city location too
I saw that 2028 too. That better be a typo lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted off waitlist for KC campus! Interview was 12/02 and sent a LOI/update letter literally 2 days ago haha

Reactions: 3 users
I also got off the waitlist and it said 2028 so I’m thinking a typo. Congrats to everyone that’s gotten off the waitlist!

Ill continue to wait 😔 one day my time will come! WL at 4 schools this cycle so hopefully one I'll get in!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I got off the waitlist but I will not be attending. Hope it goes to one of yall!

This part aint true most people who want to stay in KC for rotations get it and there are plenty of avenues for research you just have to look
Do you know if this applies to the Joplin campus as well (in terms of research)? I've heard mixed opinions on the research opportunities available

Are any KCU students on here? If so, do you get a few weeks off for summer between 1st and 2nd year? It's hard to tell from the academic calendar on the website. I'm wondering if there is sufficient time to do research over the summer

Please feel free to join the groupme. I was accepted last year but deferred my acceptance due to personal issues. I’m so excited to start this journey with y’all. Good luck y’all for the upcoming interviews! Feel free to dm me if you have any questions

You're invited to my new group 'KCU Class of 2027' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe
Would you mind DMing me about your experience? I'm in a similar situation.

meanwhile.. me sitting here giving myself til 5pm today to get off the waitlist or I have to wait till next week 9am monday and do it all over again. I love this game !

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
meanwhile.. me sitting here giving myself til 5pm today to get off the waitlist or I have to wait till next week 9am monday and do it all over again. I love this game !
I feel your pain, I'm right there with ya

• Care
Are any KCU students on here? If so, do you get a few weeks off for summer between 1st and 2nd year? It's hard to tell from the academic calendar on the website. I'm wondering if there is sufficient time to do research over the summer
Yes - we get 8 weeks between 1st/2nd year

I'd like to add my perspective on KCU's curriculum. Honestly, one of my biggest problems with this school is its ridiculous curriculum. I knew it would be bad once I heard the staff say that we have "board-style in-house exams" during orientation. What does this mean for you? It means for most classes, you can't rely solely on third-party resources to pass tests (most med students use Anking and other sources like pathoma and sketchy). This makes studying for exams quite difficult because you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time watching in-house lectures just to learn information that will never come up on board exams. On top of this, you'll find that most professors here are not good at teaching (except for a few absolute gems). Professors here tend to teach these subjects like we're getting PhD's in every biological science field, even though most of what we learn in lectures is completely irrelevant to boards and will never come up while we are working in clinical settings. There is also a stupidly high emphasis on embryology in this school and it's very poorly taught. Also KCU is not a true P/F system because we have a "high pass"(not a huge deal bc most PD's don't rank prelim classes as huge factors for accepting or denying you for residency, but it still adds a lot of pressure).

To make matters worse, the scheduling is not conducive to a good learning environment. You will find that there's not much time to take breaks throughout certain parts of the year. Even when you do have breaks, there's no easing into the grove of things again. They expect you to be in a full sprint the moment you get back. The timing of ECOS exams, practicals, SPE's, and useless courses that admins force us to take, not only takes away time for you to study for your main exams, it doesn't allow you to develop a solid routine (it's kind of hard to explain how infuriating the schedule is unless you've experienced this schedule). One of the worst blocks we had was Cardiopulmonary and renal, in which after the first exam we had 3 weeks to study close to 25 lectures, and the very next exam, we had two weeks to study around the same amount. It was virtually impossible for most of us. We even had one professor during a lecture acknowledge that our curriculum was much more rigorous than that of most medical schools and that it did not allocate the proper amount of time to review lecture material. This problem could easily be alleviated if this school just switched to teaching exactly like board exams but so far they refuse to.

Going back to the criticisms of professors, many professors here are nice people, but they just simply are not good at presenting information in a way that is understandable. Their lecture slides are very wordy, concepts are often hard to visualize, and you will often encounter test questions on material that was never even presented on to begin with. Lecturers have gone past the allotted amount of time to finish lecture material even when given 2 hours to do so. It's very unprofessional. And that's not just me saying it, the president of our school himself said during orientation that a speaker going beyond the allotted amount of time is unprofessional. Oftentimes, the expectations that are set on students are not set for the staff and faculty.

The accumulation of all these factors and more has resulted in a lot of mental anguish personally for me and for pretty much all of my classmates that aren't consistently getting high scores. LOTS of first and second years are remediating 1 or two classes. A fair number end up repeating the first year. I know for a fact that in one year, 50 students had to remediate neuroanatomy. I'm quite sure that half of our class would not even pass these classes if it wasn't for the curve. If a medical school has such a significant number of students remediating and relies on curves to pass most of the class, then it's safe to say that either the exam questions are bad, the teaching is bad, or the scheduling is bad. At KCU, all 3 of these things are true.

I've got a whole other laundry list of problems with this school which I'm too lazy to type out in this post, but long story short, if you want to go to medical school and feel some semblance of sanity, try your damn hardest to get into an MD school. DO schools just have too much baggage (some more than others of course). If I was at an MD school, I would be killing it right now and so would most of my classmates. Overall, I would not recommend enrolling here. KCU students succeed in spite of this school, not because of it.

If you have other career options that allow you to achieve a lifestyle you're content with, I would honestly just go for those. Medicine is an incredibly exploitive field with hospital execs/admins raking in record profits while compensation for doctors has declined. Doctors have not had a cost of living adjustment since the 1990s. Tuition is being increased every year despite inflation. It is simply not worth the cost anymore unless you have nothing else going for you.
*Checks in on SDN first time in months*

*reads this nonsense*

*closes app*

2nd year here. Just like other schools- some professors amazing some arent.

Majority of students relying on the curve? Literally not true- class averages havent been that low.

School doesnt allow you to make a routine? Seems like a you problem....get into a routine.

As far as OMM- least amount compared to other DO schools.

I'd echo MD> DO for residency but take that post with a grain of salt

Reactions: 9 users
*Checks in on SDN first time in months*

*reads this nonsense*

*closes app*

2nd year here. Just like other schools- some professors amazing some arent.

Majority of students relying on the curve? Literally not true- class averages havent been that low.

School doesnt allow you to make a routine? Seems like a you problem....get into a routine.

As far as OMM- least amount compared to other DO schools.

I'd echo MD> DO for residency but take that post with a grain of salt
Third year at KCU here. I have never felt that KCU was actively harming my education at any point. Med school just sucks no matter where you go. I used the same Anking deck, Uworld, Pathoma and Sketchy my friends at MD schools used. Never felt like I was lacking in content/material going into M3 due to KCU's curriculum. Our pre-clinical OB-Gyn block was loaded with Step 2 material that actually ended up helping me on my shelf, but it was annoying to have to study that before step 1.

Also the general stress level and overall amount of studying gets better after pre-clinicals, much better in my opinion. The grass is greener on the other side of Step 1/Level 1. That's not to say it's all great but I feel like third year has been much more enjoyable, and my preceptors have all been great.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone complete the KCU masters? I’d like to get in touch with you please

Got off the waitlist today 5/8 by email. First of 3 waitlists! Hope for the best for the rest of you all and manifesting WL movement.

Reactions: 6 users
for current students, how late is too late when looking for places to live? I’m currently on a few other WLs but haven’t heard anything. I was going to wait until late May then start to look.

for current students, how late is too late when looking for places to live? I’m currently on a few other WLs but haven’t heard anything. I was going to wait until late May then start to look.

I'm pretty sure there was a guy in our class who lived in an airbnb the first two weeks of school

I'm pretty sure there was a guy in our class who lived in an airbnb the first two weeks of school
Lol gotcha but I’m asking how late would be late in terms of finding a spot. Is it pretty busy? Do places get booked quickly or is there always some decent place to lease come mid to late June?

It's not hard to find an apartment that has apartments available any time of the year but especially not during the Summer

The Joplin thread hasn’t been active since December, but for what it’s worth, they called me today asking for my spring grades (I’m in current masters program) saying they would “start looking at the waitlist for Joplin soon”

The way it was phrased sounded like they haven’t started moving / have only moved a couple people off the waitlist to the Joplin campus.

Reactions: 1 users