2021-2022 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RD here submitted early July. No II yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! when were you guys complete, and also mind sharing stats? IS/OOS?

congrats! when were you guys complete, and also mind sharing stats? IS/OOS?
I dont remember when I was complete but I submitted within like 10 days of getting the secondary. IS. LM 70.3. ORM.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
damn looks like i dodged the II wave (IS completed june 30th ahhhhhh lm 73)

aaaaaaa ._.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who received a II, are you guys IS or OOS, RD or ED, and when did you submit your secondaries/when we’re you complete? TIA! Congrats!

also any advice on the interviews from past/ current students?

II yesterday, 512 mcat 3.6 gpa

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Guess I missed yesterday's II wave. So happy for those who did get one though!

Don't worry! Many people will continue to get IIs throughout the cycle even if you were complete early.

Current M1 at FIU here, it seems like a lot of people are freaking out about getting II already. R-E-L-A-X!!! FIU spaces out their interview invites. I submitted in July last year and didn’t get interviewed until January. I was accepted right away, I also have classmates who interviewed in September and those who interviewed in March. It doesn’t make a big difference so don’t get down on yourself for not getting an II yet!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Current M1 at FIU here, it seems like a lot of people are freaking out about getting II already. R-E-L-A-X!!! FIU spaces out their interview invites. I submitted in July last year and didn’t get interviewed until January. I was accepted right away, I also have classmates who interviewed in September and those who interviewed in March. It doesn’t make a big difference so don’t get down on yourself for not getting an II yet!
you the goat. thanks homie

For those with II, anyone else watch the Tour of FIU video on the dashboard? I swear I heard them say the medical library is open "180 hours a week" 😂

how'd interviews go for those that went today? was it conversational?

Hey all I’m an M1 here and I had someone message me asking a few questions about FIU and I wrote up a pretty long response that I think may be helpful for many more people in the thread so I thought I would share it here too!

Questions: Why did I choose FIU? What makes FIU different? Is FIU pass/fail?

I think what really sets FIU apart, and also my main reasons for choosing this school is the community here and FIU’s commitment to diversity and uplifting underserved communities.

FIU is 3rd most diverse medical school in the country. This is really great to be able to learn from your peers who may be different from you and allows you gain a well rounded cultural competence that will be needed to practice medicine in the 21st century. Likewise, learning to practice medicine in an extremely diverse city like Miami is also helpful for the same reasons, in the end I believe it will make my peers and I better equipped to treat future patients. Lookup the Neighborhood Help program, it is super unique to FIU! The other great thing here, that will be easy to see on your interview day, is the sense of family between students and our professors. The upperclassman and professors are super helpful in guiding us through our classes. Within the class it is a super collaborative environment, everyone shares their study guides, flash cards, and other resources with each other because we all want each other to succeed! Medical school is extremely hard and this support makes it so much easier! I interviewed at a couple “more elite” medical schools filled with gunners which were known be more cutthroat among classmates where they competed against each other to improve their residency applications and I knew I did not want to be in a toxic environment like that.
Despite FIU being a relatively new medical school you can look up their match results and they match exceptionally well, even with step 1 going P/F, FIU now has a reputation for doing well above average on the exam which will be an advantage when applying to residencies.

As for the curriculum, it is a hybrid P/F system. Some classes are true P/F, others you can have Honors/high pass/pass/fail. For most classes you still get a numeric grade that is not on your transcript for residencies to see but is used to internally rank for residency applications. FIU uses this to report what quartile you’re in (not your actual rank). This allows people who still want to go into competitive specialties like surgery to differentiate themselves. It also gives you wiggle room if you don’t do well in class for example if you have a 90 average in all your classes but get a 75 in anatomy, your transcript will show you passed all classes and they’ll never know you did poorly because your grade average would still be very high and likely in the top quartile which is all they would see. I know it’s a little confusing but hopefully the example helped!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all I’m an M1 here and I had someone message me asking a few questions about FIU and I wrote up a pretty long response that I think may be helpful for many more people in the thread so I thought I would share it here too!

Questions: Why did I choose FIU? What makes FIU different? Is FIU pass/fail?

I think what really sets FIU apart, and also my main reasons for choosing this school is the community here and FIU’s commitment to diversity and uplifting underserved communities.

FIU is 3rd most diverse medical school in the country. This is really great to be able to learn from your peers who may be different from you and allows you gain a well rounded cultural competence that will be needed to practice medicine in the 21st century. Likewise, learning to practice medicine in an extremely diverse city like Miami is also helpful for the same reasons, in the end I believe it will make my peers and I better equipped to treat future patients. Lookup the Neighborhood Help program, it is super unique to FIU! The other great thing here, that will be easy to see on your interview day, is the sense of family between students and our professors. The upperclassman and professors are super helpful in guiding us through our classes. Within the class it is a super collaborative environment, everyone shares their study guides, flash cards, and other resources with each other because we all want each other to succeed! Medical school is extremely hard and this support makes it so much easier! I interviewed at a couple “more elite” medical schools filled with gunners which were known be more cutthroat among classmates where they competed against each other to improve their residency applications and I knew I did not want to be in a toxic environment like that.
Despite FIU being a relatively new medical school you can look up their match results and they match exceptionally well, even with step 1 going P/F, FIU now has a reputation for doing well above average on the exam which will be an advantage when applying to residencies.

As for the curriculum, it is a hybrid P/F system. Some classes are true P/F, others you can have Honors/high pass/pass/fail. For most classes you still get a numeric grade that is not on your transcript for residencies to see but is used to internally rank for residency applications. FIU uses this to report what quartile you’re in (not your actual rank). This allows people who still want to go into competitive specialties like surgery to differentiate themselves. It also gives you wiggle room if you don’t do well in class for example if you have a 90 average in all your classes but get a 75 in anatomy, your transcript will show you passed all classes and they’ll never know you did poorly because your grade average would still be very high and likely in the top quartile which is all they would see. I know it’s a little confusing but hopefully the example helped!
As a fellow M1, I absolutely agree to this! No gunners, lots of sharing, and very supportive. Well said!

W
For those with II, anyone else watch the Tour of FIU video on the dashboard? I swear I heard them say the medical library is open "180 hours a week" 😂
Hi how do you get to this tour?

W

Hi how do you get to this tour?
I believe they email you a link to the pre-interview dashboard after you receive and II. This includes a link to a campus tour, or at least it did last year.

I believe they email you a link to the pre-interview dashboard after you receive and II. This includes a link to a campus tour, or at least it did last year.
How early did they do that bc my interview is this Tuesday and I haven’t received that email.

How early did they do that bc my interview is this Tuesday and I haven’t received that email.
I can't remember how early in advance they sent mine. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle can chime in.

I can't remember how early in advance they sent mine. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle can chime in.
Can you tell me about your favorite part of the curriculum or what stands out to you? Is there an underlying theme throughout your classes?

Can you tell me about your favorite part of the curriculum or what stands out to you? Is there an underlying theme throughout your classes?
Sure! Personally, I like how we only take one science/medical class at a time. Concurrently, we take other courses like clinical skills, ethics, professionalism etc. that allows us to integrate the skills we learn in those courses with the information we are learning in our science/medical classes. Feel free to PM with with more specific questions!