2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T.T I got waitlisted.. sigh..

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when their last round of IIs go out? Do you get an II to both schools at once?

Does anyone know when their last round of IIs go out? Do you get an II to both schools at once?
not totally sure, they sent email's to those who interview from Dec - Jan that they have "filled their class." And basically have been waitlisting all of us/ offering deferred admissions since then. That being said I saw someone get an II here recently, and there is supposedly good movement on the waitlist so I think they still might send II
. Pomona and Lebanon campus are separate so you will not get an II to both schools at once. Hang in there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know roughly how many people got off the alternate or waitlist? Or if people got off it at all? I've been sitting with my alternate status since October 2020. Kind of losing hope here.
Last years thread showed quite a few people who received deferred admission get off the waitlist. I also saw one or 2 people report they got off the normal waitlist. I wouldn't expect any movement for a long time. Probably not until may or june at the earliest

Reactions: 1 users
I just declined my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you guys <3

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hi- sort of hopeless question here. If we haven't yet received an interview request for this school, chances are probably not likely for being admitted now, right? I sent my secondary in back in September 2020, but didn't realize my physician forgot to sign her letter. This held up my processing, and I finally got the "we've processed your file" email 12/10/20. Nothing else since then. I'm just wondering if I should move on emotionally...I got into another DO school but would love to go to Western.

I'm a non-traditional student getting back into the swing of things with this cycle (after applying back in 2009), so apologies if I'm missing info or not understanding everybody's acronyms.

Hi- sort of hopeless question here. If we haven't yet received an interview request for this school, chances are probably not likely for being admitted now, right? I sent my secondary in back in September 2020, but didn't realize my physician forgot to sign her letter. This held up my processing, and I finally got the "we've processed your file" email 12/10/20. Nothing else since then. I'm just wondering if I should move on emotionally...I got into another DO school but would love to go to Western.

I'm a non-traditional student getting back into the swing of things with this cycle (after applying back in 2009), so apologies if I'm missing info or not understanding everybody's acronyms.
They are still interviewing so I imagine its possible they would still send out II's. You are right that no one is being given an acceptance anymore, best you can get is a deferred acceptance for next year, which also seems like a priority waitlist for this year. Definitely still a possibility though

They are still interviewing so I imagine its possible they would still send out II's. You are right that no one is being given an acceptance anymore, best you can get is a deferred acceptance for next year, which also seems like a priority waitlist for this year. Definitely still a possibility though
Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated. :)

not totally sure, they sent email's to those who interview from Dec - Jan that they have "filled their class." And basically have been waitlisting all of us/ offering deferred admissions since then. That being said I saw someone get an II here recently, and there is supposedly good movement on the waitlist so I think they still might send II
. Pomona and Lebanon campus are separate so you will not get an II to both schools at once. Hang in there :)
Im so confused why they would send more interviews after "filling their class". Why get more people and waitlist, alternate, or defer their acceptance if you are going to get a fresh pool of applicants next year. Its not like there has ever been a shortage in med school applicants. Just kinda weird

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense. Unfortunately this will now just reduce the chances of those already deferred / waitlisted / placed as alternate.

Reactions: 2 users
Im so confused why they would send more interviews after "filling their class". Why get more people and waitlist, alternate, or defer their acceptance if you are going to get a fresh pool of applicants next year. Its not like there has ever been a shortage in med school applicants. Just kinda weird
Because a LOT of people holding those acceptances right now are going to drop and go to another school. They need a list to draw from to once people start dropping. There will def be movement. I havent gotten an II here but I got WLed at AZCOM and they are doing pretty much the same thing, class is full at the moment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a group for deferred applicants?

Is there a group for deferred applicants?
I think we are all just hoping our acceptance become undeferred as in we get in this cycle LOL. From last years thread it seemed a lot of deferred acceptances got off the waitlist for the original cycle they applied to, so doesnt seem like theres a point to having a separate group for deferred people if so many will actually get off the WL. I assume we all will just continue updating this thread once they start drawing from WLs which probably won't be for a while sadly

I think we are all just hoping our acceptance become undeferred as in we get in this cycle LOL. From last years thread it seemed a lot of deferred acceptances got off the waitlist for the original cycle they applied to, so doesnt seem like theres a point to having a separate group for deferred people if so many will actually get off the WL. I assume we all will just continue updating this thread once they start drawing from WLs which probably won't be for a while sadly
Ya that's what I assumed too tbh. Given that the aamc sent an email notifying people will need to narrow down their acceptances to one by the end of April, we probably won't see much movement until late March or early April :/ Did you get hit with the USC pre-II R too?

Ya that's what I assumed too tbh. Given that the aamc sent an email notifying people will need to narrow down their acceptances to one by the end of April, we probably won't see much movement until late March or early April :/ Did you get hit with the USC pre-II R too?
Yeah I think hearing back in April would be early if anything. Im on the WL for Touro-CA and they made it clear that they won't even start pulling from their WL till late may/early June.

And yeah I was part of that massive Pre-II R wave from USC. Can't say I was surprised lol, glad if anything to have closure on one more school

Hello! Are there any 3rd/4th year students who are willing to speak on clinical rotations? :)

Is a spring MCAT considered an academic update that would actually be taken into account for the given cycle?

Yeah I think hearing back in April would be early if anything. Im on the WL for Touro-CA and they made it clear that they won't even start pulling from their WL till late may/early June.

And yeah I was part of that massive Pre-II R wave from USC. Can't say I was surprised lol, glad if anything to have closure on one more school
I felt the same way about usc.

Is a spring MCAT considered an academic update that would actually be taken into account for the given cycle?
Are you asking, if updated, would it count for the 2020-2021 cycle? If so, then probably no. Most schools will finish up interviews in March. So even if you got lucky and your application was the last in their still need to review pile, which probably would be gone by end of February or early March if you are lucky, they probably would have filled out their class anyways.

Are you asking, if updated, would it count for the 2020-2021 cycle? If so, then probably no. Most schools will finish up interviews in March. So even if you got lucky and your application was the last in their still need to review pile, which probably would be gone by end of February or early March if you are lucky, they probably would have filled out their class anyways.
It was more like the mcat was a weakness on my app yet I still interviewed here and 1 other school but waitlisted for both...was wondering if updating with a better score would have any bearing on being able to come off the WL for this current cycle..

It was more like the mcat was a weakness on my app yet I still interviewed here and 1 other school but waitlisted for both...was wondering if updating with a better score would have any bearing on being able to come off the WL for this current cycle..
I see what you mean. If it is a significant increase, then I would say you can try. Worst comes to worst you stay on the waitlist so you lose pretty much nothing.

I see what you mean. If it is a significant increase, then I would say you can try. Worst comes to worst you stay on the waitlist so you lose pretty much nothing.
Thanks, yeah that makes sense...I don't really have much to lose by retaking

Interviewed 2/12. Admissions made a point to emphasize "there is still spots available in this year's class" at the end of the session. They didn't mention anything about deferred admissions but did say that waitlist > alternate. Not sure if we are just being honeyd*cked about available seats but I'm pretty much excepting either a waitlist or alternate at this point lol

Interviewed 2/12. Admissions made a point to emphasize "there is still spots available in this year's class" at the end of the session. They didn't mention anything about deferred admissions but did say that waitlist > alternate. Not sure if we are just being honeyd*cked about available seats but I'm pretty much excepting either a waitlist or alternate at this point lol
How can you tell whether you are waitlisted or on the alternative list? I thought the waitlist and alternative list are just the same things.

How can you tell whether you are waitlisted or on the alternative list? I thought the waitlist and alternative list are just the same things.
Your portal change should be explicit... some people received also received emails stating that they were put on the waitlist.

Idk, seems unlikely they would hand out deferred admissions for next cycle if the class was not yet full for the current one. Maybe they have one or two seats left for a "golden applicant" they don't want to risk putting on the WL, but I would bet they may be referring to the tremendous likelihood of some waitlist movement instead of actual open seats. The emails they sent us said the class was full so one way or another THEY LYING

I wouldn't say you have nothing to lose by taking the MCAT again. God forbid you don't get in this cycle, if you do WORSE on the MCAT it will hurt you a lot and basically force you to take it again. That would be 3 times if you've already only taken it once so far. One of my good friends did that and screwed himself massively - first take was 512, he wanted to make up for his low GPA so he took again and got like a 506. That forced him to do it yet again, and Im pretty sure he still scored below a 512. So it became a huge red flag in what otherwise would of been a good MCAT score, plus the massive amount of time, energy and stress he put into it, just to shoot himself in the foot.

TLDR: Don't ever take the MCAT likely.

I wouldn't say you have nothing to lose by taking the MCAT again. God forbid you don't get in this cycle, if you do WORSE on the MCAT it will hurt you a lot and basically force you to take it again. That would be 3 times if you've already only taken it once so far. One of my good friends did that and screwed himself massively - first take was 512, he wanted to make up for his low GPA so he took again and got like a 506. That forced him to do it yet again, and Im pretty sure he still scored below a 512. So it became a huge red flag in what otherwise would of been a good MCAT score, plus the massive amount of time, energy and stress he put into it, just to shoot himself in the foot.

Thanks this is helpful. My score actually will have expired should I reapply for next cycle, so will need to take the exam if I reapply. But yes, sounds like i shouldn't rush it to help w/ the current cycle, just take it when i am ready even if that means after this cycle is over to optimize my chances at future app cycles

I'm a little confused on the Interview Day schedule. The school's website says it's only a 30 minute interview with 2 or 3 members of a panel but my email states that the interview is from 7:45am-11:05am. Is there a presentation after the interview that fills the rest of the time?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused on the Interview Day schedule. The school's website says it's only a 30 minute interview with 2 or 3 members of a panel but my email states that the interview is from 7:45am-11:05am. Is there a presentation after the interview that fills the rest of the time?
Yes, there is a presentation. But my presentation happened at the beginning, not the end for me. I think they split people between two groups. 1 group interviewed first, then watched the presentation / did introductions later. The other group watched the presentation / did introductions first, then interviewed later.

Congrats on your interview! Good luck!

Last edited:
just got a II! super unexpected ahah

Reactions: 7 users
Hey all, with the ongoing deferred A/alternate/waitlist postings on the WesternU-Pomona thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see where accepted SDN applicants stand, and how likely there might be a movement in the deferred/alt/waitlist.

If you have a min, please fill out the poll below:
Poll for Accepted or DeferredA/Alt/WL applicants

If this seems inappropriate lmk and I'll remove the post. Thanks all

II just now! dates available were only feb 25th and march 9th. complete 11/9

Reactions: 3 users
Cancelling my upcoming interview, hope it goes to one of you guys. Good luck everyone!

II too!! Scheduled for 3/9. I was not expecting this!!

Does anyone know when the last interview date is for this cycle?

This happened to me (513->508) as my previous MCAT score was expiring for most of the schools I was applying for, despite studying for more months and incorporating resources like UWorld and Anki. It severely impacted the kind of school list I wanted to make and probably tanked my MD cycle as I have not had a single II from an MD school. I feel very fortunate to have had multiple IIs and two As from DO schools this cycle.

Does anyone know when the last interview date is for this cycle?
When I had my interview about 2 weeks ago they said that they have one in early march and one in late march (late march was mostly for linkage program students) so I don't think they have too many left. I still would not lose hope of an II. Good Luck!!

My status has been on "Submitted" since the beginning of October. Will I be informed that my application is under review, or should I go ahead and reach out to them? Thanks y'all :)

My status has been on "Submitted" since the beginning of October. Will I be informed that my application is under review, or should I go ahead and reach out to them? Thanks y'all :)
I never received a notification stating that it was under review

Hello! Are there any 3rd/4th year students who are willing to speak on clinical rotations? :)
Current 4th year at Western COMP (Pomona). Feel free to ask other questions. Currently waiting for match results and don't mind reflecting on the experience at WesternU.

In short: Rotations are what you make of it. You can switch 3rd year rotations with classmates to get your preferred location/hospital/residency-based or outpatient. That way you control how difficult you want to make it, recommendations from certain sites, or studying for shelf exams and board exams. 4th year is entirely student-driven. Students have to find each rotation via the school's portal/affilations or VSAS). VSAS is the national portal and where people find audition/away rotations.

With COVID, many rotations got cancelled or changed to hybrid/online. Also, a good number of residency programs and hospitals stopped taking external students because of the pandemic (PPE, cancelled procedured/speciality hours, not wanting student seeing COVID). Even with this, I was still able to fill out my 4th year schedule and stay on track - but just not where I envisioned during 3rd year.

In summary: It will be OK. There are plenty of hospitals residency and non-residency hospitals in SoCal/Inland Empire + Western has strong connections across California.

Reactions: 7 users
Current 4th year at Western COMP (Pomona). Feel free to ask other questions. Currently waiting for match results and don't mind reflecting on the experience at WesternU.

In short: Rotations are what you make of it. You can switch 3rd year rotations with classmates to get your preferred location/hospital/residency-based or outpatient. That way you control how difficult you want to make it, recommendations from certain sites, or studying for shelf exams and board exams. 4th year is entirely student-driven. Students have to find each rotation via the school's portal/affilations or VSAS). VSAS is the national portal and where people find audition/away rotations.

With COVID, many rotations got cancelled or changed to hybrid/online. Also, a good number of residency programs and hospitals stopped taking external students because of the pandemic (PPE, cancelled procedured/speciality hours, not wanting student seeing COVID). Even with this, I was still able to fill out my 4th year schedule and stay on track - but just not where I envisioned during 3rd year.

In summary: It will be OK. There are plenty of hospitals residency and non-residency hospitals in SoCal/Inland Empire + Western has strong connections across California.
Do you know of any students having rotations in Northern California?

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I know it might be too early to know/tell, but maybe you can share from anecdotal experience or something, if you think it's relatively feasible to stay local (SoCal/LA region) for residency?

Edit: if you could also touch on how you feel about the school's curriculum, if you feel that Western has prepared you well enough for board exams and if you feel like anything was lacking from your education/opportunities overall. Any advice you might have for incoming students in terms of successfully building up a resume for residency applications as a Western student... Thanks again!

Last edited:
Not sure how big Western is on financial aid, but will deferred acceptances be at a disadvantage for aid?

Not sure how big Western is on financial aid, but will deferred acceptances be at a disadvantage for aid?
I don't think med schools provide aids unless you get merit-based ones? If you're thinking of taking out gov $, you'll be taking out loans regardless of what school I think haha

2/11 interview, received WL today

Response:
On behalf of WesternU College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP), I am very pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee is interested in having you join the class of DO2025. Since your interview, those who were previously offered an acceptance have confirmed their intent to attend COMP. Therefore, the class is currently filled, and we are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time. As a result, you have been placed on a wait list, with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates. Waitlisted candidates will be contacted first should a place become available in the class.

Edit: status update says Waitlist but had to accept an offer of Alternate status so idk whats going on.

Last edited: