2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Based on the deferred acceptance email it sounds like they'll pull from that list first, then waitlist, then alternate list to fill their class. But deferred A people have a spot in class of 2026 if they aren't accepted for 2025. It's also worth noting the language says "You'll be among the first to be considered" if a spot opens up....which I think leaves it vague enough for them to apply that to deferred As and waitlist. Not sure if that same language was on the alternate list?
I checked last years thread and while it seemed many deferred A's came off the waitlist for the current cycle, a couple seemed to be left hanging at the end. They never confirmed whether they got in at the end though, they just stopped posting. I remember seeing one person who said they got off the normal waitlist as well, before some of the deferred A's got off, so I think you're right, its not a definite thing. However, if they like us enough to give us a deferred A, I would say the chances are good that they would be want to give us seats to any openings in the current class as well. Just not a guarantee

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I checked last years thread and while it seemed many deferred A's came off the waitlist for the current cycle, a couple seemed to be left hanging at the end. They never confirmed whether they got in at the end though, they just stopped posting. I remember seeing one person who said they got off the normal waitlist as well, before some of the deferred A's got off, so I think you're right, its not a definite thing. However, if they like us enough to give us a deferred A, I would say the chances are good that they would be want to give us seats to any openings in the current class as well. Just not a guarantee
I totally agree and that’s kind of how I’m interpreting it!

Reactions: 1 user
To the people in the future next year looking back at this thread - I hope the above communication helps you lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We all know this at this point, but I confirmed with one of the admission counselors, that Defer/Admit applicants > Waitlisted> Alternates. And I was also told that we could receive an offer of admission from now all the way up until July. But I think it all depends on the students who are holding the seats.

(Although I should be thankful that I have other A's, since Western is my top choice, now I have to waste so much money to another school until I hear back from COMP; now that I think about it, maybe there is someone on the WL from that school because I'm keeping the space LOL...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
We all know this at this point, but I confirmed with one of the admission counselors, that Defer/Admit applicants > Waitlisted> Alternates. And I was also told that we could receive an offer of admission from now all the way up until July. But I think it all depends on the students who are holding the seats.

(Although I should be thankful that I have other A's, since Western is my top choice, now I have to waste so much money to another school until I hear back from COMP; now that I think about it, maybe there is someone is on the WL from that school because I'm keeping the space LOL...
yeah i called and thats exactly what they said

Well finding out that my alternate status is basically just their way of rejecting us was a wild and fun ride. I’ll get back to working doubles at my covid clinic, hoping maybe some school out there decides to show me some love.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I know its disappointing atm but I wouldn’t lose hope for those waitlisted or placed on alternate list. Someone mentioned it earlier but I would like to emphasize that Western does have a lot of movement so alternate is not a rejection. California is saturated with a lot of high stat applicants, many holding a spot at Western as a backup, that will likely matriculate to UC’s or OOS MDs later on in the cycle and into summer.

Also take it from me that even getting an interview and post interview consideration is an accomplishment. I applied to Western three times, and I didn’t even get an interview until the third cycle lol

Reactions: 5 users

(Although I should be thankful that I have other A's, since Western is my top choice, now I have to waste so much money to another school until I hear back from COMP; now that I think about it, maybe there is someone on the WL from that school because I'm keeping the space LOL...
yeah i called and thats exactly what they said
Thank you guys for calling and checking! And that's really interesting that they actually might start offering admission to people on the deferred/WL right now! Honestly makes more sense than arbitrarily waiting till late may for bringing people off. PLenty of people withdraw their A's before then so why make us wait if they don't have to.

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been posted on here, but does anyone know if there is an accepted students page for the new class?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been posted on here, but does anyone know if there is an accepted students page for the new class?
I don’t think so, I’m hoping they set something up soon. I got accepted in November and haven’t heard anything at all

Hi all,

Yes, they have a Facebook page “WesternU COMP Class of 2025” You need to input your student email for verification when joining.

Reactions: 3 users
I was also wondering this :)
Highly unlikely for waitlisted and alternates - not sure about deferred applicsnts

side note: not a bad idea to submit FAFSA regardless of current standing tho

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they have a Facebook page “WesternU COMP Class of 2025” You need to input your student email for verification when joining.
Did you have to pay the deposit before getting a westernu email?

I got a deferred admission on 1/27. I still don't understand what it means. They said I should let them know if I am accepting it, but I don't even understand it. Like is a WL or something else?

I got a deferred admission on 1/27. I still don't understand what it means. They said I should let them know if I am accepting it, but I don't even understand it. Like is a WL or something else?
I believe it's a guaranteed spot next year with option to take you this year if a seat opens up.

Is there a FB page for off-campus housing and looking for housemates for accepted WesternU COMP students?

Wait, did it say to let them know soon? My deferred admission said I didn't need to respond to the letter, and would only need to respond in August if I accepted the seat.

Wait, did it say to let them know soon? My deferred admission said I didn't need to respond to the letter, and would only need to respond in August if I accepted the seat.
I got the same in my email/letter from them. I think the OP is just confused overall on what deferred admission is.

Interview invite yesterday. I tried registering but it says the registration is not open yet? Will they email us when registration opens? I find it unusual. Thanks

Interview invite yesterday. I tried registering but it says the registration is not open yet? Will they email us when registration opens? I find it unusual. Thanks
Hmm that’s odd. I would email Christopher I only had 1 available date when I got an II in January

I think we know the outcomes at this point but has anyone from 1/12 interview heard back...?

Congrats to all of those who were accepted! For those who got deferment or waitlist, don't lose out hope just yet. I know many people last year who got waitlisted/deferred and ended up matriculating. So just hang on and roll with the punches as best you can, this cycle has been like no other prior and thats both for AdComs as well as the applicants.

With that said, I am a current first year who did ISAC over the summer. If anyone has any questions regarding housing, ISAC, school life etc feel free to DM me!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to all of those who were accepted! For those who got deferment or waitlist, don't lose out hop just yet. I know many people last year who got waitlisted/deferred and ended up matriculating. So just hang on and roll with the punches as best you can, this cycle has been like no other prior and thats both for AdComs as well as the applicants.

With that said, I am a current first year who did ISAC over the summer. If anyone has any questions regarding housing, ISAC, school life etc feel free to DM me!
Just wondering, do you know many applicants who got in as alternates or not so much? Seems the consensus is that alternates are behind both deferred and waitlisted in priority this year.

Just wondering, do you know many applicants who got in as alternates or not so much? Seems the consensus is that alternates are behind both deferred and waitlisted in priority this year.
I don’t have any exact numbers. From what I recall last year deferred had first priority and to my understanding alternate and waitlist were the same thing. Not sure how things may have changed this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got an update with the status of "waitlisted". Interviewed 1/12.

1/12 "waitlist" on the letter but alternate on the status reply. Kind of confused.

Last edited:
I don’t have any exact numbers. From what I recall last year deferred had first priority and to my understanding alternate and waitlist were the same thing. Not sure how things may have changed this cycle.
Do you know roughly how many people got off the alternate or waitlist? Or if people got off it at all? I've been sitting with my alternate status since October 2020. Kind of losing hope here.

• Care
Do you know roughly how many people got off the alternate or waitlist? Or if people got off it at all? I've been sitting with my alternate status since October 2020. Kind of losing hope here.
I don’t have any sort of estimate, there is no way for anyone to know unfortunately. Especially a student. But what I can tell you from what I remember from last years cycle is there was some movement of the waitlist. But again, unfortunately I don’t know the extent of that movement.

Withdrew my A today, hope it goes to one of you lovely folks! Hang in there! :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users