2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R. wish they wouldn’t make me wait forever just to reject me but whatever

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I don't have MSAR anymore. This is listed directly on there?
Correct, I will quote it below.

"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle: Approximately 90
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: 75
Waitlist procedures and information: Applicants on the waitlist may be offered acceptance up until the first day of school. The rank is secure throughout the admissions process and is confidential and will not be released."

Reactions: 1 user
Placed on alt list an hour ago. Honestly, I was fully prepared for an R and I couldn't be happier. Sorry to everyone rejected

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m really sorry to everyone who got news that they didn’t want today. This process is extremely arduous and humbling. Best of luck to everyone going forward 😊

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

I don’t usually post, but I thought I’d share. This was my 5th time applying to UUSOM. I got the call on the 10th from Dr. Chan. If this is something you want, it can happen. Keep your heads up and no matter the news don’t stop working.

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Anyone know how long the "essays" should be for the scholarships with a textbox on the uusom portal? What information are they able to access for scholarship deliberation? AMCAS primary? I'm not sure how specific my essays should be.

Out of curiosity, has anyone not received a final decision yet?

When should we expect the biggest movement/best likely time we would get off the waitlist?

When should we expect the biggest movement/best likely time we would get off the waitlist?
Last year’s thread shows a lot of WL movement in mid-May. I assume it will be similar this year.

I'd say the first off the line will be mid April after second looks

Then large movement at the end of April/beginning of May when AMCAS has applicants release all offers except the one they intend to attend

Anyone know how long the "essays" should be for the scholarships with a textbox on the uusom portal? What information are they able to access for scholarship deliberation? AMCAS primary? I'm not sure how specific my essays should be.
I tried to type a lot but it blocked me after a short amount of characters so I think they're supposed to be pretty short. Not that it matters anymore....

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to type a lot but it blocked me after a short amount of characters so I think they're supposed to be pretty short. Not that it matters anymore....
Thanks! Haha I typed out a long essay only to realize you can only fit 2-3 sentences. Good thing I tested it out before writing too much.

Thanks! Haha I typed out a long essay only to realize you can only fit 2-3 sentences. Good thing I tested it out before writing too much.
Wendy from the fin aid office said the limit is 500 characters.

Hi everyone. I’m an MS1 here at the U. Just thought I’d send out a positive vibe for everyone on the WL or who is still waiting to hear. I know there is a lot of anxiety out there. I don’t know any numbers, but I know MANY students who were accepted late in the cycle or were pulled from the WL. They’re all outstanding students no matter when they got the A. Utah does a REALLY good job of finding a mix of people with different backgrounds and strengths but everyone is an absolute hero. You’ll be surprised at how amazing your class will be. Be patient. Just because you haven’t heard back, or you’re rejected, or waitlisted doesn’t mean you’re not an amazing applicant. You’ll end up in the place you should be I promise. It may be this year or next or the next but your journey will land you where you need to be when you’re ready. Some of my best friends and the strongest students in class were re-applicants or were accepted late. This cycle will end with great things for everyone involved. I know it’s hard to see now, but it’s true. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hi everyone. I’m an MS1 here at the U. Just thought I’d send out a positive vibe for everyone on the WL or who is still waiting to hear. I know there is a lot of anxiety out there. I don’t know any numbers, but I know MANY students who were accepted late in the cycle or were pulled from the WL. They’re all outstanding students no matter when they got the A. Utah does a REALLY good job of finding a mix of people with different backgrounds and strengths but everyone is an absolute hero. You’ll be surprised at how amazing your class will be. Be patient. Just because you haven’t heard back, or you’re rejected, or waitlisted doesn’t mean you’re not an amazing applicant. You’ll end up in the place you should be I promise. It may be this year or next or the next but your journey will land you where you need to be when you’re ready. Some of my best friends and the strongest students in class were re-applicants or were accepted late. This cycle will end with great things for everyone involved. I know it’s hard to see now, but it’s true. Good luck everyone!
This is so kind thank you!!

did anyone else get the email about the U giving feedback to strengthen your medical school application through Zoom sessions? I am waitlisted and got the email yesterday and thought that was interesting

Reactions: 2 users
Same. Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with our place in line, just a "oh we know you're interested in our school" automatic email.
did anyone else get the email about the U giving feedback to strengthen your medical school application through Zoom sessions? I am waitlisted and got the email yesterday and thought that was interesting

Was just reading the MSAR for the U to see if they updated anything on it and noticed that they changed the approximate waitlist positions per cycle to 70 (was 90), and the number of offers granted to applicants on the waitlist to 70 also (was 75).

Do we think these new numbers reflect last cycle? And the previous numbers reflect the cycle before that?

If these numbers are accurate, or even approximations, it seems like the alternate list at the U is a pretty good place to be.

Reactions: 3 users
Was just reading the MSAR for the U to see if they updated anything on it and noticed that they changed the approximate waitlist positions per cycle to 70 (was 90), and the number of offers granted to applicants on the waitlist to 70 also (was 75).

Do we think these new numbers reflect last cycle? And the previous numbers reflect the cycle before that?

If these numbers are accurate, or even approximations, it seems like the alternate list at the U is a pretty good place to be.
If you look on last years thread, the same thing happened around this time. I’m guessing these are last years numbers and 75/90 was 2 years ago

If you look on last years thread, the same thing happened around this time. I’m guessing these are last years numbers and 75/90 was 2 years ago
Yeah I agree these are probably last year's numbers, but still also possibly a mistake if they're saying 70 out of 70 lol. I mean last years thread itself even had people on WL get rejected so who knows. Gonna be a real interesting couple of months

Yeah I agree these are probably last year's numbers, but still also possibly a mistake if they're saying 70 out of 70 lol. I mean last years thread itself even had people on WL get rejected so who knows. Gonna be a real interesting couple of months
Haha totally agree. But I’m not sure which number is the mistake.
Also possible that the ~70 number that they have on MSAR could be referring to how many WL spots there are this year?

I was very confused that I even reread the email they had sent me earlier this month to see if I am rejected or waitlisted 😂😭 I’m still kinda worried about this feedback thing though

I was very confused that I even reread the email they had sent me earlier this month to see if I am rejected or waitlisted 😂😭 I’m still kinda worried about this feedback thing though
Totally understandable. While I can't say definitively, I can say that them sending out this to all on the WL is waaaaay more likely than them sending it to lower on the WL. I mean, what if everyone accepts the offers and no WL movement happens, then they excluded their top candidates from this thing, and that wouldn't make any sense. There's not going to be any real movement on the WL until next month at the earliest and since they don't know how many will get off it they just sent it to everyone. It's a good thing!

I can confirm that that email was sent to everyone on the alternate list, regardless of rank.

Totally understandable. While I can't say definitively, I can say that them sending out this to all on the WL is waaaaay more likely than them sending it to lower on the WL. I mean, what if everyone accepts the offers and no WL movement happens, then they excluded their top candidates from this thing, and that wouldn't make any sense. There's not going to be any real movement on the WL until next month at the earliest and since they don't know how many will get off it they just sent it to everyone. It's a good thing!
I can confirm that that email was sent to everyone on the alternate list, regardless of rank.
Thank you guys for the clarification. This helps lower my anxiety level lol

Hey, for those of you who finished their grad student application and have gotten a uNID, can you log into the financial aid portal and message me about what is listed as your tuition/COA breakdown? I don't think that FA packages have been released yet (at least not for me), but the costs I'm seeing in my portal don't really line up with the numbers on the SOM's tuition website. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, for those of you who finished their grad student application and have gotten a uNID, can you log into the financial aid portal and message me about what is listed as your tuition/COA breakdown? I don't think that FA packages have been released yet (at least not for me), but the costs I'm seeing in my portal don't really line up with the numbers on the SOM's tuition website. Thanks!
when I click on the financial aid/ tuition tab it just takes me to the website page for UUSOM. What portal are you referring to?

when I click on the financial aid/ tuition tab it just takes me to the website page for UUSOM. What portal are you referring to?
I see what you mean, I've gotten to it through CIS. My breakdown is $44640 for tuition and $67642 for total cost (tuition + cost of living, etc.). this does seem to be a bit different from the UUSOM website but the website probably just hasn't been updated yet would be my guess

I see what you mean, I've gotten to it through CIS. My breakdown is $44640 for tuition and $67642 for total cost (tuition + cost of living, etc.). this does seem to be a bit different from the UUSOM website but the website probably just hasn't been updated yet would be my guess
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too except I'm OOS, so that would be a lovely discount for me... but I'm not sure if it's correct. Guess we just have to wait for packages to be released. Thanks for checking!

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too except I'm OOS, so that would be a lovely discount for me... but I'm not sure if it's correct. Guess we just have to wait for packages to be released. Thanks for checking!
This doesn't provide much additional insight, but I am also OOS, and my tuition etc. does not reflect my WICHE status whatsoever. So I am guessing/hoping that the numbers displayed on the portal currently are akin to placeholders. I would be interested if others from WICHE or Idaho see something different.

Is there anybody this cycle who has been accepted off the w a i t l i s t already?

Last edited:
Is there anybody this cycle who has been accepted off the purgatory already?
lol purgatory.

Edit: sorry I wanted to try if writing “purgatory” would have the opposite effect and automatically change it to waitli$t

Is UUSOM's CTE deadline really April 30th? So does that mean you can't stay on any waitlists??

What is CTE?
Commit to enroll. And to answer the original question you can be on as many waitlists as you still want to be considered for. What would happen is if you got in off a wait-list at a school you'd rather attend then you remove your Utah commit and replace it with the new one.

Commit to enroll. And to answer the original question you can be on as many waitlists as you still want to be considered for. What would happen is if you got in off a wait-list at a school you'd rather attend then you remove your Utah commit and replace it with the new one.

Not for a commit to enroll. You can remain on waitlists while you are Planned to Enroll, but once you choose to CTE at a school, that is your final decision. If that really is Utah's CTE deadline, then it looks like they don't want you on other wait lists. I don't know how flexible they are with this though. Someone might be able to stretch past the deadline, but they are also putting their current acceptance in jeopardy.

Not for a commit to enroll. You can remain on waitlists while you are Planned to Enroll, but once you choose to CTE at a school, that is your final decision. If that really is Utah's CTE deadline, then it looks like they don't want you on other wait lists. I don't know how flexible they are with this though. Someone might be able to stretch past the deadline, but they are also putting their current acceptance in jeopardy.
You're 100% right, sorry. Yeah that is strange they would make their CTE deadline the day that becomes an option.

Is UUSOM's CTE deadline really April 30th? So does that mean you can't stay on any waitlists??
I can't find any official dates on Utah's website and the portal doesn't seem to specify any strict deadlines. I am just going off of what is listed in MSAR, so perhaps they are not deadlines, but listed there as reference because it's the first day CTE becomes available?? I will probably reach out to clear this up or ask during second look. It wouldn't make sense for the deadline to be the first day CTE becomes available.

Did we ever figure out if April 30 is actually the CTE date?

Just out of curioisty, how does the Accepted Student FB page look / how was Second Look Day? Im on the IS waitlist and this is actual torture as I can't bring myself to prep to retake the MCAT when there is hope (foolish I know lol). At least I have a new job with very hands on patient exposure if I have to reapply ha! Other friends on the WL, crossing my fingers for us and remember to do things that are good for your mental health while we are stuck in this spot!

Reactions: 3 users
Just out of curioisty, how does the Accepted Student FB page look / how was Second Look Day? Im on the IS waitlist and this is actual torture as I can't bring myself to prep to retake the MCAT when there is hope (foolish I know lol). At least I have a new job with very hands on patient exposure if I have to reapply ha! Other friends on the WL, crossing my fingers for us and remember to do things that are good for your mental health while we are stuck in this spot!
I am planning to study for the MCAT and am waitlisted four places. People are saying it is foolish but I don't know what else to do so I feel you 😂