2020-2021 University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question regarding "bona fide" residency: I lived in TN my entire life until college. I went to a private school out of state and took a gap year job out of state as well. However, TN is considered my "domicile". Can I list that I am a resident still? My entire family lives there as well. I am applying to schools as a TN resident in general.
I looked into this, and I think this is asking if you are a legal resident of TN: your current drivers license, voter registration, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

are y'all writing a very short "why UTHSC" essay for the 500 character prompt or leaving it empty? hard to fit anything in such a short character limit
I just made it a mini-diversity essay. You're certainly right that it's difficult to fit anything in 500 characters, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I looked into this, and I think this is asking if you are a legal resident of TN: your current drivers license, voter registration, etc.
I have a TN license and my car is registered there. However, I am voting in my current state. Maybe I should switch to voting in TN. hmm

Members don't see this ad :)
are y'all writing a very short "why UTHSC" essay for the 500 character prompt or leaving it empty? hard to fit anything in such a short character limit

I made the mistake of not putting down my gap year activities in my primary app so I'm just listing where I'm working at the moment

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend who hasn’t gotten one so... idk

With this many people receiving secondaries it is almost certain that they have changed their policies from recent years. Kind of a bummer...I wonder what the process will be like from this point forward. I wonder if this was simply a way for them to provide applicants an opportunity to describe COVID disruptions. That is really the only significant piece of information added by the secondary.

Last edited:
Yeah its really confusing. I received an email from UT on 8/12 stating " We do not send secondary applications to all applicants as we screen applications first ". I just received their secondary application but the portal states that " Secondary application invitations are emailed to all UTHSC College of Medicine applicants with a verified AMCAS application". Hopefully more people post with info that clarifies this.

Maybe we're the lucky ones, but it sounds like everyone is getting one.

I am. I'm OOS (some ties from meeting w current faculty/admin through undergrad) so need to catch some attention with it if possible and show I didn't just toss them on for no reason.

The fact that they didn't send the secondary until 7 weeks post verification is a good sign. That is the only thing keeping me in the "everyone with a secondary gets interviewed" boat. Unlikely, but fingers crossed lol

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that they didn't send the secondary until 7 weeks post verification is a good sign. That is the only thing keeping me in the "everyone with a secondary gets interviewed" boat. Unlikely, but fingers crossed lol
Ehh. To be fair, didn't submit to them until 8/18 and still received a secondary after everyone else did.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but last year they only interviewed 62 OOS applicants. Just in this thread there have been 10 OOS applicants receive secondaries. So either 20% of the OOS people who will receive IIs have posted in this thread, or they decided to send secondaries out to almost everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you’re right tbh. Anyhow this isn’t an OOS friendly school except with really strong ties. People just see a $0 secondary I guess lol.

If I had to pay I wouldn't have bothered tbh.

Received the secondary yesterday, submitted today. I am technically an OOS resident however, I've been in TN for 1.5 years now. Interested to see how this goes.

I think you’re right tbh. Anyhow this isn’t an OOS friendly school except with really strong ties. People just see a $0 secondary I guess lol.
I don't think people just see this as "a $0 secondary" type of thing. I mean, based on MSAR and other factors I would think people from OOS apply knowing their chances are limited unless they have ties. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I do think they're giving more OOS secondaries / not screening as harshly.

Hello friends,

I was on reddit and found a thread discussing MCAT superscoring and one of the schools on the list (link attached) was UTHSC. Has anyone been able to independently verify this or should I accept this as most likely false information? This link seems to be the only place where this information is posted and does not appear to provide sourcing information.

I really don’t think I have seen this topic on the UTHSC website or discussed heavily elsewhere. I have also attached the reddit link.

Hello friends,

I was on reddit and found a thread discussing MCAT superscoring and one of the schools on the list (link attached) was UTHSC. Has anyone been able to independently verify this or should I accept this as most likely false information? This link seems to be the only place where this information is posted and does not appear to provide sourcing information.

I really don’t think I have seen this topic on the UTHSC website or discussed heavily elsewhere. I have also attached the reddit link.

I have seen this come up here: Allopathic Medical School Multiple MCAT Scores | Pre-Health On a Hawaii university pre- med page, but upon researching the UTHSC website I can't find any info on this either

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I know that the MCAT score is very important to them so I would imagine not.

UTHSC office confirmed to me via email that all applicants are getting secondaries, just some of the website was not yet updated. Just in case there was any more confusion.

UTHSC office confirmed to me via email that all applicants are getting secondaries, just some of the website was not yet updated. Just in case there was any more confusion.

Thanks for letting us know. Ah, we all got too excited too early unfortunately with these secondaries.

Good luck everyone! This process is brutal but you'll come out on the other side just fine. The people in admissions are very nice and great people. Don't overthink things with applying here (especially with this new secondary they're sending out.)

Did anyone else get the Secondary application and Document collection complete email just now?

Email, notifying they have received secondary + photo (submitted 8/28 when received secondary), and that interviews begin in October, invites will go out via email. Saw the email and got my hopes up it was an II :/

Were there any documents that had to be uploaded? I submitted the secondary the day it came out but haven't received the complete email yet. If it prompted to have a photo added I definitely would've done it I just can't remember right now lol

Were there any documents that had to be uploaded? I submitted the secondary the day it came out but haven't received the complete email yet. If it prompted to have a photo added I definitely would've done it I just can't remember right now lol

They actually had upload a picture at the top of the secondary portal? So if you haven't yet please do.

They actually had upload a picture at the top of the secondary portal? So if you haven't yet please do.

Does your picture show up at the top when you log in now? Mine does not but the deadline to upload documents for me was yesterday and I am just now noticing.....seriously hope I didn't screw this up

Does your picture show up at the top when you log in now? Mine does not but the deadline to upload documents for me was yesterday and I am just now noticing.....seriously hope I didn't screw this up

No, all that you should see and is what I currently have is one section that says "Thank you for your submission" and a separate section below that says "Thank you for your secondary application submission." Each one is a separate entry but there is no visible picture. Hope this helps!

No, all that you should see and is what I currently have is one section that says "Thank you for your submission" and a separate section below that says "Thank you for your secondary application submission." Each one is a separate entry but there is no visible picture. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! That is how mine looks as well so fingers crossed

I know w a new admissions dean + COVID they seem to be changing some things (e.g. who got secondaries) so does anyone know if they are accepting updates?

Has anyone that submitted the secondary the same day it came out still not received the completed email?

I know w a new admissions dean + COVID they seem to be changing some things (e.g. who got secondaries) so does anyone know if they are accepting updates?
As a reapplicant, I've found the UTHSC admissions office to be very receptive to activity updates both this cycle and last cycle

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone that submitted the secondary the same day it came out still not received the completed email?
I still haven't received anything yet either, and I completed everything for the secondary on the day of (Aug 28th)

It seems like all of the schools that I applied to that use the AAMC secondary portal (UTHSC included) don't send complete emails. I wouldn't agonize over it too much

Does anyone have an idea of when UT will begin sending interview invites to applicants?

Does anyone have an idea of when UT will begin sending interview invites to applicants?

Given that they're not pre-screening to give secondaries and the pandemic has slowed things down, we might be waiting longer than early October for II

Figured I might share some of my neurotic SDN research here.
Last cycle: first reported secondaries were sent on 08/27/2019 (Tuesday) and the first reported interview invites were sent on 10/01/2019 (Tuesday).
This cycle: first secondaries were sent on 08/28/2020 (Friday).
So far, even with some changes to the secondary, the timing has been right on pace with last year's cycle

Reactions: 5 users
I still haven't received anything yet either, and I completed everything for the secondary on the day of (Aug 28th)

Have you reached out about it? I'm thinking about emailing on Monday just to make sure I did it correctly but don't want to look like an idiot