2020-2021 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so in my case, i would think it's bad because ever since the 24th, they haven't bothered to look again

why would that be the case? This is a lot of speculation.

Members don't see this ad.

why would that be the case? This is a lot of speculation.
it is speculative. that's why i said "my guess" haha. but wouldn't you think it would be IDEAL if they received it early, and then viewed it again later? you wouldn't want them to receive it early, view it early, and never care again

If we could all post our stats / complete date / LOR date, it honestly might help us make better guesses lol

it is speculative. that's why i said "my guess" haha. but wouldn't you think it would be IDEAL if they received it early, and then viewed it again later? you wouldn't want them to receive it early, view it early, and never care again

If we could all post our stats / complete date / LOR date, it honestly might help us a bit.

i'll play. this is more fun anyway than refreshing my email lol. 517/3.6 last accessed: 8/1, complete, 7/15

i am OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)

If we could all post our stats / complete date / LOR date, it honestly might help us make better guesses lol
Where do you see info that says when they accessed your LORs?

Reactions: 1 user
its on the document upload. This was my idea! Anyways I'm getting neurotic. I submitted 7/15 was complete 7/18 and was accessed on7/22 and then again on 7/31. What do you guys think?

its on the document upload. This was my idea! Anyways I'm getting neurotic. I submitted 7/15 was complete 7/18 and was accessed on7/22 and then again on 7/31. What do you guys think?
I only see a status change that says my three letters were "Recieved", not "accessed."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what this means but 3.9/513 complete 7/22. I have a super low CARS. My letter page has dates that changed from 7/30 to 8/2 to 8/3 to 8/6

Cool your jets everybody. All this correlates to is the last time you updated and resubmitted your primary application through AMCAS.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Cool your jets everybody. All this correlates to is the last time you updated and resubmitted your primary application through AMCAS.
Agreed. Mine says 07/21, completed 07/21. By this logic, they must have thrown my app in the trash when they got it!

Damn back to square one —- hoping for that good II

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone’s too tilted from waiting esp since Keck is historically the fastest

Everyone’s too tilted from waiting esp since Keck is historically the fastest
Ya pretty annoying it’s taking so long, but there’s a pandemic going on so it’s expected

still waiting on my committee letter so kinda don’t mind the delay

All of y'all talking about waiting for II's and I'm still waiting for my secondary after 2.5 weeks.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah my letters dont even say accessed. Just says received on the 9th of July (before data was even transmitted to schools lol)

Secondary received today. My AMCAS was verified today as well. OOS.

Anybody obsessively refreshing their email every 30 seconds or are you normal

Received secondary finally. OOS. Primary submitted ~2.5 weeks ago.

I’m stumped on the nickname question. Do you guys have any tips?

I’m stumped on the nickname question. Do you guys have any tips?
Just have fun with it I think. I called myself a space pirate after Mark Watney. They're just trying to learn more about your personality.

Submitted 5 letters (did this for all my schools on the 1°, didn't realize I wouldn't later be able to edit this). realized I ****ed up after I submitted. Worth giving them a call or sending an email?

Submitted 5 letters (did this for all my schools on the 1°, didn't realize I wouldn't later be able to edit this). realized I ****ed up after I submitted. Worth giving them a call or sending an email?
That’s rough, buddy.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd email them saying which ones you want them to consider. I doubt it'll be a major problem.

I wouldn't email. If you look above in this thread, it sounds like Dean Arias doesn't appreciate pointless communication. They'll likely just pick whichever they please (or for all you know, they may just read them all). Maybe someone else can weigh in but I think you should just leave it be.

I wouldn't email. If you look above in this thread, it sounds like Dean Arias doesn't appreciate pointless communication. They'll likely just pick whichever they please (or for all you know, they may just read them all). Maybe someone else can weigh in but I think you should just leave it be.
I agree that an apology email with nothing else would likely not be worth it. However an email specifying 3 letters would at least have more substance. Not sure though

Last edited:
I would email the admissions office, apologize for your oversight, and tell them which 3 you'd like them to read. That's what I would do if I was in your shoes anyways. At the end of the day, not saying anything would come across as like not only did you not follow instructions correctly, but you didn't even care enough to attempt to correct your error. Keck doesn't expect you to be a robot. You're human and that was an honest mistake. Just do what you can to make it right.

I don't think that this specific case would fall under the "pointless communication." I know for a fact that they only read 3 letters even if you send them more than 3. That's why they are so strongly against sending more than 3 letters. If you send more than 3 by mistake, they will choose which 3 to read, so sending them an email apologizing for your oversight in sending more than 3 and specifying which letters you'd like them to read would be appropriate in this case. I'm just speculating, but since this is an honest mistake that a lot of people could easily make, I'm sure they get this kind of thing all the time. They're generally pretty understanding :)

That’s rough, buddy.

I guess that's one way to stand out, right? /s

That's why I was a bit hesitant, but I think this is more geared toward correspondence to try to get an II/A?

I feared that if I didn't send anything they would think I didn't read the instructions. Even if they completely ignore the email and just pick three letters at random, at least they know that I know that I messed up.

I agree that an apology email with nothing else would likely not be worth it. However an email specifying 3 letters would at least have more substance. Not sure though

I don't think that this specific case would fall under the "pointless communication." I know for a fact that they only read 3 letters even if you send them more than 3. That's why they are so strongly against sending more than 3 letters. If you send more than 3 by mistake, they will choose which 3 to read, so sending them an email apologizing for your oversight in sending more than 3 and specifying which letters you'd like them to read would be appropriate in this case. I'm just speculating, but since this is an honest mistake that a lot of people could easily make, I'm sure they get this kind of thing all the time. They're generally pretty understanding :)

Ended up sending the apology email. Explained the oversight, stated which letters I wanted them to read, and then apologized for it. Kept it simple/brief so as to not bother them too much, received auto-reply which contained a portion about not accepting addenda to 1°/2° so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Like stated above, I understand whichever letters they decide to consider without taking into account the email, but at least I wanted to apologize for it (I'm sure this would be annoying if I was on the receiving end) and let them know that I know I messed up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Update: school doesn't process requests. Readers will pick three for me. Was worth a shot

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
anyone else's application say, "your application is complete and under review at this time?" Not sure what to make of it lol.

• Hmm
I believe everybody with a submitted secondary gets that message but I could be wrong.

anyone else's application say, "your application is complete and under review at this time?" Not sure what to make of it lol.
It means they’ve received your application and will be reviewing it?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if in the past USC has called people to extend interview invites...?

Keck only calls you if you've been accepted. All interview invites are handled via email and through the secondary portal.
ohh isee.. the dean of admissions left a voicemail for me today to just shoot her an email so im lowkey freaking out right now haha

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users