2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FB is still at 203... I'd be interested to see how quickly people will leave in the coming weeks.
We have had several people leave the GroupMe recently - some have stated they have chosen other schools and others haven’t so hopefully you’ll get some WL movement soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In case it helps anyone, check your spam folders for financial aid notifications. I just found mine in there :/

We have had several people leave the GroupMe recently - some have stated they have chosen other schools and others haven’t so hopefully you’ll get some WL movement soon
That sounds like good news for the WL people. Hopefully the WL movement will be huge.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if most people leaving the GroupMe are OOS or IS? Thanks!

Are remote classes considered as online classes ? I will be applying 2021-2022 cycle . Please advice

i am so stressed lmao. was wl last year, wl this year, can't even pte/cte to another school while waiting because i don't have any to choose from :'))))))))))))))))))

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
MOVEMENT!!! LOL!!! Looks like 1 person left FB.

Just declined my acceptance at this school. Best of luck to those of you on the waitlist!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow is (hopefully) the big day
I think most people expect WL movement at 7 and 14 days in the month... perhaps to temper expectation... BTW, FB dropped another to 201 now...

I think most people expect WL movement at 7 and 14 days in the month... perhaps to temper expectation... BTW, FB dropped another to 201 now...
How many students were in the facebook group initially?

Last edited:
anyone else get an email in their spam that their unc guest id password will be expiring soon? I tried resetting it but it keeps giving me an error.

I'm not sure if here is a good place to ask but I need some advice. I just got an email that my registrar's office at my school messed up my graduation from a graduate certificate program due to override courses. I understand that UNC might require a degree notation that's been completed by July1st, so since I'm on the waitlist is my chance at an acceptance jeopardized because I didn't 'graduate' with the degree this spring semester even though I have all the courses? Summer graduation would be in August which I don't think works.

This is just totally an opinion--since you asked--I'll tell you what I think, but it is ONLY an opinion. LOL I am not sure what "override courses" are, but if it is just a matter of a date, I can't imagine it will change things. It's not like you have more courses to finish? Right? Also, I bet they care more about how you did in the classes than the certificate. Hope this helps. I think by the time UNC figures out the glitch...you will have an answer about your WL position. Good luck.

My gut response was to check with UNC but then perhaps you can keep it below the radar and fly through... I wonder if any programs actually go back and verify anything....

This is just totally an opinion--since you asked--I'll tell you what I think, but it is ONLY an opinion. LOL I am not sure what "override courses" are, but if it is just a matter of a date, I can't imagine it will change things. It's not like you have more courses to finish? Right? Also, I bet they care more about how you did in the classes than the certificate. Hope this helps. I think by the time UNC figures out the glitch...you will have an answer about your WL position. Good luck.
Thanks, its much appreciated!

My gut response was to check with UNC but then perhaps you can keep it below the radar and fly through... I wonder if any programs actually go back and verify anything....
Yeah, I feel like they just take a look at the transcript and then go from there.

Looks like the UNC SOM 2025 Facebook page dropped to 193 members from 203 members last week. Hopefully we will see some waitlist movement soon!

Any accepted students have inside knowledge of how many people are in the class of 2025 groupme? That may be a better indicator than facebook since it wouldn't include administrators/older students

It is one less now (192)... but class size is 190, right?

Any accepted students have inside knowledge of how many people are in the class of 2025 groupme? That may be a better indicator than facebook since it wouldn't include administrators/older students
There are currently 155 members in the GroupMe and we have had 10+ people leave it in the last couple of weeks.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how many students UNC takes off the waitlist on average each year?

I know they've said throughout the whole cycle they don't accept updates or LOI, but is it allowed if you're part of the waitlist?

I know they've said throughout the whole cycle they don't accept updates or LOI, but is it allowed if you're part of the waitlist?

I would not send one since they bold, caps, and highlighted “do not send updates or LOI” in their WL invitation email.

• Haha
A few answers- 1. Don't send updates; they will not read them. 2. The numbers on fb and groupme are not accurate. There are older students/admins in both, and there are a lot of people who don't join the groupme until they firmly decide/get closer to starting the year (myself included lol) 3. In most years its unpredictable how many will be taken off the waitlist, but this year its especially unpredictable. There was a news article recently about how the pandemic has completely thrown off the algorithms universities use for determining how many people to accept/waitlist, and that is also true for medical schools. Unfortunately I'm not sure how UNC SOM is addressing that unpredictability (having more/fewer people on the waitlist). 4. The class size has been around 190ish the last couple years. They've been working on expanding from 180 to 220 in preparation for the new med school building that will accommodate more students, but that project is delayed (though in progress), so that might change how many students they're taking.

Good luck, y'all. Hang in there!

A few answers- 1. Don't send updates; they will not read them. 2. The numbers on fb and groupme are not accurate. There are older students/admins in both, and there are a lot of people who don't join the groupme until they firmly decide/get closer to starting the year (myself included lol) 3. In most years its unpredictable how many will be taken off the waitlist, but this year its especially unpredictable. There was a news article recently about how the pandemic has completely thrown off the algorithms universities use for determining how many people to accept/waitlist, and that is also true for medical schools. Unfortunately I'm not sure how UNC SOM is addressing that unpredictability (having more/fewer people on the waitlist). 4. The class size has been around 190ish the last couple years. They've been working on expanding from 180 to 220 in preparation for the new med school building that will accommodate more students, but that project is delayed (though in progress), so that might change how many students they're taking.

Good luck, y'all. Hang in there!
Thanks for checking in; always great to hear from you to get some insights (even though we would hope the Groupme number was useful.) What is the ETA for the new program? Perhaps it is worth reapping next year and not go to another program.

Thanks for checking in; always great to hear from you to get some insights (even though we would hope the Groupme number was useful.) What is the ETA for the new program? Perhaps it is worth reapping next year and not go to another program.
By new program do you mean what I was saying about the new building? Its projected to be done in summer 2023. Though they were 18 months late tearing the old building down, so I'd say there's a fair bet it won't be until 2024. In terms of the class size, they are *slowly* expanding it year by year. Like over the last 5 years they've increased from 180 to 190 and theoretically planned to be at 220 when the new building opens a couple years from now.

By new program do you mean what I was saying about the new building? Its projected to be done in summer 2023. Though they were 18 months late tearing the old building down, so I'd say there's a fair bet it won't be until 2024. In terms of the class size, they are *slowly* expanding it year by year. Like over the last 5 years they've increased from 180 to 190 and theoretically planned to be at 220 when the new building opens a couple years from now.
thanks for answering my question (and reading my mind)!

Hey all, for those in the groupme, has there been any drops recently? I think last time someone said there were 150 or 160 in the group me but am not sure.

Hey all, for those in the groupme, has there been any drops recently? I think last time someone said there were 150 or 160 in the group me but am not sure.
Alibon said that number is not reliable.

Really hoping there is some waitlist movement this week. Fingers crossed!

Last year's SDN had movement starting this week so lets hope history repeats itself🤞

Anyone who has been accepted that can give us updates on movement? Like have more accepted students been choosing other institutions? Just asking because no one has *reported* WL activity.

Anyone who has been accepted that can give us updates on movement? Like have more accepted students been choosing other institutions? Just asking because no one has *reported* WL activity.
im waitlisted as well, but I feel like most schools, including UNC, sent out a lot of acceptances (more than the class size) because we have seen several people say the declined their A. I think they have started on the waitlist, but its not as much movement as we had thought because they front loaded the acceptances rather than making a larger waitlist. That is my thought, but i'm still hopeful that more movement will occur!! Gotta stay optimistic while starting the application for next year!

im waitlisted as well, but I feel like most schools, including UNC, sent out a lot of acceptances (more than the class size) because we have seen several people say the declined their A. I think they have started on the waitlist, but its not as much movement as we had thought because they front loaded the acceptances rather than making a larger waitlist. That is my thought, but i'm still hopeful that more movement will occur!! Gotta stay optimistic while starting the application for next year!
Based off the WL poll, it seems like a lot of people are on the WL as well. I wish movement was like other schools (some schools accept 100+ people from the waitlist)