2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone leaving the activities section blank? I don't know what else to add really.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone who got a secondary elaborate on what the prompts are? Someone earlier in this thread said they are the same as last year, but those prompts just seem to be asking for any applicable updates. Is there not really a traditional prompt/essay other than these optional activity expansions/update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone who got a secondary elaborate on what the prompts are? Someone earlier in this thread said they are the same as last year, but those prompts just seem to be asking for any applicable updates. Is there not really a traditional prompt/essay other than these optional activity expansions/update?
Yep! Just expand/update on activities and gap-year question, no other prompt unless you're applying to PRIME/JMP/MSTP

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! (IS)

Does anyone know how the PRIME admissions process works? Is it simultaneous consideration with the regular MD?

OOS and submitted primary 6/9, verified 7/2. Has any OOS with a similar timeline received their secondary yet?

Same spot here. Was verified first week of June. Not getting any love from UCSF yet.

Reactions: 4 users
I was told by a friend that they’re not screening this year but I don’t have a confirmation on that

Are they sending secondaries based off verification dates? On their websites seems like 3-10 weeks after receiving the apps, but I might be wrong. Anyways, I was verified first week of June and have yet to receive a secondary. Will they send us a formal pre-secondary rejection...
I'm also wondering about this. Submitted 5/28, verified 6/04, OOS. Hoping to hear whether they send an official rejection if you're not getting a secondary? Would prefer it over just sitting and refreshing my email neurotically hoping they send me a secondary.

Are they sending secondaries based off verification dates? On their websites seems like 3-10 weeks after receiving the apps, but I might be wrong. Anyways, I was verified first week of June and have yet to receive a secondary. Will they send us a formal pre-secondary rejection...
I was verified 5/29. IS and high-stats, so would hope they wouldn't screen me out. I'm just being patient, not worrying too much about it yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS and submitted primary 6/9, verified 7/2. Has any OOS with a similar timeline received their secondary yet?

Did you list UCSF in your initial submission or did you add the school later? Did you also have all your LORS in when you submitted?

I'm OOS, submitted 6/1, and got verified 6/17 with no secondary but I also added UCSF 7/7 and had all my LORS in mid-July.

Last edited:
Did you list UCSF in your initial submission or did you add the school later? Did you also have all your LORS in when you submitted?

I'm OOS, submitted 6/1, and got verified 6/17 with no secondary but I also added UCSF 6/7 and had all my LORS in mid-July.
I added UCSF July 8 (after getting my MCAT score July 7) but had submitted initially 5/28 and verified 6/4. All LORs were in before my initial submission. No secondary yet.

do you guys notice that the photo gets slightly blurry across all secondaries? or is that just me...

UCSF was included in my initial submission but I didn't have all LORS in by then. They all did come in by the time I was verified though

Secondary received! (IS)

Does anyone know how the PRIME admissions process works? Is it simultaneous consideration with the regular MD?
From what I could tell on their website, you're considered for regular MD in addition to PRIME. As in, if you don't get selected for PRIME it doesn't mean you couldn't be accepted as a regular MD student.

From what I could tell on their website, you're considered for regular MD in addition to PRIME. As in, if you don't get selected for PRIME it doesn't mean you couldn't be accepted as a regular MD student.
You’re not considered for PRIME until you have been admitted to the MD program. It goes MD admission first and consideration for PRIME later in the spring. So you can be admitted to the MD program and not to PRIME but not vice versa

Does anyone know if you apply for the JMP on your secondary if you're still considered for regular MD admission (if you aren't chosen for the JMP)?

anyone still hasnt received a secondary?? my app was verified 2 weeks ago :(

Reactions: 3 users
You’re not considered for PRIME until you have been admitted to the MD program. It goes MD admission first and consideration for PRIME later in the spring. So you can be admitted to the MD program and not to PRIME but not vice versa

Is this the opposite of how UCLA does it?

anyone still hasnt received a secondary?? my app was verified 2 weeks ago :(
I see you posting a variation of this question on other threads. Chill. I was verified on 6/2 and haven’t received a secondary. Many schools send in waves. UCSF does a holistic screen, so it can take even longer. Their site says 3-10 weeks from app transmission.

Reactions: 5 users
I was verified 5/29. IS and high-stats, so would hope they wouldn't screen me out. I'm just being patient, not worrying too much about it yet.
Update: secondary received, IS. Seems like they're just rolling them out slowly.

OOS here and just received secondary as well. Does anyone know if I don't get into prime, they would consider me for regular MD? Thanks

OOS here and just received secondary as well. Does anyone know if I don't get into prime, they would consider me for regular MD? Thanks
You have to be accepted to regular MD first. Then you're considered for PRIME. If you don't get into PRIME you still have your regular acceptance.

would you mind sharing your verification date/stats? still waiting on a secondary :/

Anyone know if UCSF accepts committee letter packets? Their website simply states 3-5 letters of recommendation with at least 2 being from professors who taught one in an upper-level science class, but I don't see a mention of committee letters as an acceptable option. Thanks in advance!

According to the MSAR advisor report on "Letter of Evaluation Preferences," it looks like UCSF actually prefers committee letters and letter packets to individual letters, but it accepts all three types of letters. All the MSAR advisor reports can be found here.

Thank you! I see that section on their preferring committee letters now.

For the activity expansion prompt, I would really like to write about another activity that isn't on my primary. However, does "expand on your activities" mean that you have to write the essay based on your AMCAS activities? Does anyone have any advice :)

For the activity expansion prompt, I would really like to write about another activity that isn't on my primary. However, does "expand on your activities" mean that you have to write the essay based on your AMCAS activities? Does anyone have any advice :)

I think you can write about something else. From what I'm reading, the updating or expanding on your activities can be about your current ones you've mentioned before or talking about new endeavors/different ones that you may not have touched on in your primary.

• Love
I think you can write about something else. From what I'm reading, the updating or expanding on your activities can be about your current ones you've mentioned before or talking about new endeavors/different ones that you may not have touched on in your primary.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the response.

Have any reapplicants received secondaries who were verified in June?

Does anyone see the Statement of Intent tab on the secondary? I'm not sure what that name is referring to since there doesn't seem to be any specific prompt relating to a "statement of intent." I doubt it would be indicating some sort of specific essay like the "Statement of Purpose" (e.g. on UCLA's MSTP secondary).

Any ideas?

Does anyone see the Statement of Intent tab on the secondary? I'm not sure what that name is referring to since there doesn't seem to be any specific prompt relating to a "statement of intent." I doubt it would be indicating some sort of specific essay like the "Statement of Purpose" (e.g. on UCLA's MSTP secondary).

Any ideas?
It's just indicating you don't intend to request access to your letters/intend to send letters etc. It's not referring to an essay.

Hi all, does anyone know if the MD-only adcom sees the PRIME essays, and vice versa?

Do y'all think the secondary prompt is truly optional? I'm not sure what to expand upon. I could throw in a diversity essay, but technically, that is not related to my activtiis.

if there’s nothing to expand on, def don’t force it

Anyone have intel on the screening process? I'm OOS, submitted 6/15 -- quarter system school :/ -- verified 7/16. T10 school, pretty decent MCAT/GPA but haven't received a secondary. I know they send them out differently than some other school but was curious if anyone knew a timeline or anything about their process. Want to know if I should move on or should prep essays for the app.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who checked the box for JMP received a secondary yet? Upon rereading the description in AMCAS, I'm not sure if JMP applicants were supposed to check the Regular MD box first