2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My kid is not waiting for Stanford and wouldn't have taken it anyway. I came to respond about prestige discussion only.
Reallly?? Why not, and why apply if that's the case??? :)

All kidding aside, who applies to Stanford and then decides before the cycle is over that they wouldn't have taken it anyway? Where I come from, if you're not interested in Stanford, you don't apply to Stanford. Sounds to me like someone quitting after they are fired! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post interview (11/11) waitlist. Really needed this. I’m crushed
Same here. Hold your head up 👑. Take some time off, and get back on the grind! We're going to get to where we want to go, just might take a while :)

Reactions: 1 user
Post interview (11/11) waitlist. Really needed this. I’m crushed
Same. This was my last hope. If I don't get into Stanford, I'm going to have to reapply. Are we allowed to send updates now?

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I'm sure. My interview did not go well, so I am not too surprised. Hopefully, another school will like me :)
You'll get in somewhere great, I'm sure of it! Sometimes we just have off days, and sometimes during interviews

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
also WL post-II (11/18). my 3rd WL 🥺

Brothers let us cry together

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
onto better and brighter things

pce out dudes

it's been interesting

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the odds of getting off the waitlist at Stanford?
I think they take a third of the class off the WL according to last year (30 students). From anon sources, there were around 50 students in attendance to today's zoom. They should take close to 200 students according to a class FB page report last year. Assuming 50 per release day, there should be 50 off the waitlist, which checks out based on a constnat 60% matriculation rate (50*.6=30). So I wouldn't lose too much hope.

I think they take a third of the class off the WL according to last year (30 students). From anon sources, there were around 50 students in attendance to today's zoom. They should take close to 200 students according to a class FB page report last year. Assuming 50 per release day, there should be 50 off the waitlist, which checks out based on a constnat 60% matriculation rate (50*.6=30). So I wouldn't lose too much hope.
Any idea of the size of the waitlist?

Any idea of the size of the waitlist?
No clue. Somewhat less than 350 (150 accept), subtract some rejected, subtract whatever they mean by "hair under 500", subtract those who decline WL. I would guess 300. 50/300= ~17%

Seems like the wait list email was only for Oct/Nov interviewees?

I looked at last year's thread and did not see this number. Where are you getting the 30 students off the WL? That seems pretty high.

Also WL today. Has anyone gotten a ‘priority’ waitlist? Asking because I thought Stanford had a priority waitlist last year. Also, anyone know if the WL is ranked?

Did anyone from a December interview hear anything (A, WL or R)? If not, do you think us December folks will have to wait until the end of Feb to hear?

Anyone with an A considering LHDP? Also are y'all gonna make SUNets now or later?

• Okay...
i asked b4 hell broke loose so imma ask again. Do you guys know the priority deadline for Stanford fafsa and also, am I the only one who hasn’t done it yet.

i asked b4 hell broke loose so imma ask again. Do you guys know the priority deadline for Stanford fafsa and also, am I the only one who hasn’t done it yet.
I think it's April 1st. That's what it says in the portal for me.

interviewed late Nov, got the WL last night ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like everyone WL, I'm eager to hear any conspiracy theories about how many ppl got waitlisted, how much it moves, whether they are open to updates, etc.

I saw in previous years that WL movement starts around May and a handful of people reported getting off, and that they were not really open to updates but sent an interest survey to "high WL candidates" before accepting them. My take from this is that we should go with the balance of probabilities and assume it's an R and not hold on to hope? Someone please tell me otherwise, or else I'll unsubscribe from this thread. Too much drama for me!

Did anyone from a December interview hear anything (A, WL or R)? If not, do you think us December folks will have to wait until the end of Feb to hear?
Interviewed in Dec but silence here. And so we wait.

Interviewed in Dec but silence here. And so we wait.
also same. I can't help but feel that they already have decisions for us though? they say no more updates 2 weeks post interview because the committee meets within 2 weeks, so in theory they should know what our status is. oh well 🤷‍♀️

interviewed in december and haven’t heard anything yet! rooting for all of you

also same. I can't help but feel that they already have decisions for us though? they say no more updates 2 weeks post interview because the committee meets within 2 weeks, so in theory they should know what our status is. oh well 🤷‍♀️
Probably not that simple. You have to move away from thinking it as you're applying in isolation, like after they look at your app they can say yay or nay. More likely, they'll give you a score and certain tags and then compare you with others to determine who to build a class. Not sure if Stanford does this in particular, but I've heard some schools do this and it's in line with their no updates policy. No way they're gonna make all decisions of yes or no right after an interview before seeing all of the applicants.

i’m thinking they might have an overall “score” for us but were waiting until they finished interviews to know which will end up in A vs WL vs R? i know that’s how mayo does things, but seeing that they waited until the january interview was over maybe thats why they’re waiting? just speculation though i have no idea

Same. interviewed for MSTP early dec. nothing yet. Im assuming late feb is the next decision release. In the meantime, get off SDN and enjoy time with fam/loved ones/yourself, do some hobbies, learn to cook, read a book, etc; SDN can be a major source of anxiety.

Reactions: 4 users
Same. interviewed for MSTP early dec. nothing yet. Im assuming late feb is the next decision release. In the meantime, get off SDN and enjoy time with fam/loved ones/yourself, do some hobbies, learn to cook, read a book, etc; SDN can be a major source of anxiety.
Do you really think late February? I do not wanna wait, but I guess I will and take ur advice.

Do you really think late February? I do not wanna wait, but I guess I will and take ur advice.
I am not 100% positive but Im assuming since they have 3 release dates jan-march. could be wrong though. I better be wrong bc I also want to hear LOL

Hi all, I was on the acceptance Zoom call yesterday. There's been some questions about future Zoom calls vs phone calls. They said they won't be doing more Zoom calls for acceptances and will go back to regular acceptance calls. They just wanted to do a Zoom call for the first batch because it will be the largest of the cycle. And also cuz it's the first acceptance drop and it's exciting for them too to have a big Zoom call. Maybe the info I have is wrong or misremembered so feel free to correct me - just trying to help! GL everyone :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Hi all, I was on the acceptance Zoom call yesterday. There's been some questions about future Zoom calls vs phone calls. They said they won't be doing more Zoom calls for acceptances and will go back to regular acceptance calls. They just wanted to do a Zoom call for the first batch because it will be the largest of the cycle. And also cuz it's the first acceptance drop and it's exciting for them too to have a big Zoom call. Maybe the info I have is wrong or misremembered so feel free to correct me - just trying to help! GL everyone :)
congrats on the big A!! and thank you so much for sharing that definitely is relieving a lot of anxiety for me haha

goat

Goat Bleating GIF