2020-2021 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Southern Illinois University

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received, IS. The email says I need to mail my fee? What? Do they not have an electronic payment like every other school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, IS. The email says I need to mail my fee? What? Do they not have an electronic payment like every other school?
Secondary received as well. And yeah not ideal but at least we'll be supporting the postal service!

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received as well. And yeah not ideal but at least we'll be supporting the postal service!
But wouldn't it be easier for everyone if they just used electronic payments? It's not like it's hard in 2020, literally everything has online payment. Not to mention COVID making it very clear as to which method they should be using.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email this morning that they received my secondary payment and to wait 1-2 weeks for an interview invite (hopefully!!!)

Reactions: 1 users
is anyone else only given the combined Medical Degree/Graduate option for program when adding SIU SOM on AMCAS? I'm unsure why I don't see a regular MD program selection like other schools. Are they simply not offering it, or should I select combined but then not select a combined degree area?
Thanks.

is anyone else only given the combined Medical Degree/Graduate option for program when adding SIU SOM on AMCAS? I'm unsure why I don't see a regular MD program selection like other schools. Are they simply not offering it, or should I select combined but then not select a combined degree area?
Thanks.
I was able to select regular M.D. Are you an Illinois resident? They only accept US citizens / permanent residents who live in Illinois.

I got an email saying they received my primary and to wait 4-6 weeks for a secondary invite. Verified 7/10, still no secondary. Anybody else?

I got an email saying they received my primary and to wait 4-6 weeks for a secondary invite. Verified 7/10, still no secondary. Anybody else?
I also got that email on 8/10 when I submitted 8/6. Instead of 4-6 weeks, it came today (3 days later).

Has anyone been frustrated by how empty their website is? There's so little info about the school but a million links that tell you faculty. Not that helpful for a prospective student.
Admissions | SIU School of Medicine their website isn't amazing but i do feel like there's a decent amount here. its confusing to navigate between the school site and the clinic site tho

I sent my fee 2 weeks ago and they sent me an email this morning saying they received it

Got an email that I was put on the "screeners alternate" list (this is prior to receiving a secondary). I thought I was at the very least competitive enough for a secondary attempt. I'm from the chicago suburbs, so I get it, but I'm definitely frustrated.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email that I was put on the "screeners alternate" list (this is prior to receiving a secondary). I thought I was at the very least competitive enough for a secondary attempt. I'm from the chicago suburbs, so I get it, but I'm definitely frustrated.
+1 for me as well this morning. I just looked at last years thread and it seems like it’s pretty much a soft reject which is a bummer.

That being said I still appreciate that 1. Southern doesn’t just send secondaries with zero screening to take money from people who they won’t consider regardless and 2. That they let you know early so you can move on instead of hoping against hope.

Best of luck to everyone else who received secondaries and good luck on your interviews!

Reactions: 3 users
+1 for me as well this morning. I just looked at last years thread and it seems like it’s pretty much a soft reject which is a bummer.

That being said I still appreciate that 1. Southern doesn’t just send secondaries with zero screening to take money from people who they won’t consider regardless and 2. That they let you know early so you can move on instead of hoping against hope.

Best of luck to everyone else who received secondaries and good luck on your interviews!
Aww I'm sorry guys! If you are from the Chicago area, even if you have excellent stats and experiences, they still tend to prioritize downstate more because they want people who will stay in southern Illinois. This shouldn't say anything about you as an applicant, I'm sure you'll do great with other schools!

+2 ! Good luck y'all :)

Screeners alternate today, also from the Chicago burbs. Good luck to all my secondary peeps!

Reactions: 1 user
Received complete notification on my secondary 8/5 and haven’t heard anything yet, starting to get a bit nervous

Received complete notification on my secondary 8/5 and haven’t heard anything yet, starting to get a bit nervous
I know it's hard but try not to worry about it yet! They really seem to take their time going through primary and secondary applications. The fact that you got a secondary says a lot as well, their initial email said they screen 2/3 of people out!

I know it's hard but try not to worry about it yet! They really seem to take their time going through primary and secondary applications. The fact that you got a secondary says a lot as well, their initial email said they screen 2/3 of people out!
I know I am being neurotic, but my completion email said they would let me know of their decision in 1-2 weeks, so that means only 2 more days! I just have to keep telling myself that this is a long process

Just to confirm, this school doesn't have an application portal, right? Like after you submit your secondary, there's no account for you to go back to check on it?

Just to confirm, this school doesn't have an application portal, right? Like after you submit your secondary, there's no account for you to go back to check on it?
Nope, there is no portal or account to check on it.

Anyone heard back about interviews or know when we will hear back? Submitted secondary on 7/30, confirmed on 8/3.

Anyone heard back about interviews or know when we will hear back? Submitted secondary on 7/30, confirmed on 8/3.
When they get your secondary fee, the email says something about 1-2 weeks for a decision to come back about interviews. Perhaps it's 1-2 weeks, including business days, so you've got a couple more days?

Just got an email saying that my file is complete and that they’ll be reaching out to me soon to schedule an interview!

They said they’ll reach out soon to schedule an interview so I’m assuming this is our interview invite email

@jazzyminey98

Hey guys,
I just got recently verified and received a "application acknowledgment" email. Did it really take 4-6 weeks to get secondaries or is this for those who submitted kinda late.

Hey guys,
I just got recently verified and received a "application acknowledgment" email. Did it really take 4-6 weeks to get secondaries or is this for those who submitted kinda late.

I also got that email on 8/10 when I submitted 8/6. Instead of 4-6 weeks, it came 3 days later.

I haven't heard anything from SIU since my MCAT score came out on August 18th. Should I have received something by now? I'm from central Illinois so maybe I'm on the cusp of whether they'd consider me or not.