2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got the original complete email that confirmed that my application was already sent to the committee. Do I need to email to confirm the recommendation letter requirements again? I have three science letters, instead of the two science and one non science. help

Members don't see this ad.

So I got the original complete email that confirmed that my application was already sent to the committee. Do I need to email to confirm the recommendation letter requirements again? I have three science letters, instead of the two science and one non science. help
If they haven’t reached out to you then you’re fine

Has anyone inquired about whether NYMC will be using CASPer Snapshot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also didn't do this and got marked complete today, so I wouldn't worry about this too much
your profile pic makes me depressed. My mom said she won't buy me a corgi bc we dont know where I'm going to med school yet and it's "tricky" flying dog across the country. :(

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
your profile pic makes me depressed. My mom said she won't buy me a corgi bc we dont know where I'm going to med school yet and it's "tricky" flying dog across the country. :(
Dang. Sorry to hear. That corgi is just a pic I found online, but we love our corgi here. It'll be worth it once you get one. I promise you that :)

So what are we concluding about the email regarding letters?
I received an email telling me to call Admissions to clear up who exactly my science letters of recommendation are. The call was quick and easy. The lady told me my application was complete over and under review.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondary 7/21 and still haven't received an email about my application being complete. Is it taking this long for everyone or should I contact admissions?

I submitted my secondary 7/21 and still haven't received an email about my application being complete. Is it taking this long for everyone or should I contact admissions?

If your LORs and CASPer have already been sent around the same time as your secondary then I'd reach out to check if they received all of your materials.

I submitted my secondary 7/17 and have not heard back either...

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the complete email today. Submitted July 19 but my app was verified August 11. Not sure which one takes priority.

Do people know if we're allowed to add a LOR after we're complete? I had all my required letters but I just got an optional letter that I really want to add..

Do people know if we're allowed to add a LOR after we're complete? I had all my required letters but I just got an optional letter that I really want to add..
Yes, I did this as well. It isn't guaranteed to be read but it can be uploaded to AMCAS and assigned to schools that you already completed secondaries for.

Anyone else submit pre-7/19 and not receive the complete email today?

Reactions: 1 user
Do they accept updates? Recently accepted a new job got my gap year that I want to tell my schools about.

Do they accept updates? Recently accepted a new job got my gap year that I want to tell my schools about.

I would wait another month or two to send any updates. Think about it this way, an update it another reason for them to look at your application. If you do it right now, during their busiest time, they might not like that or really look at your application again. My advisor said to send one in like October (I just got a Full time EMT job) when things are have slowed a little

I would wait another month or two to send any updates. Think about it this way, an update it another reason for them to look at your application. If you do it right now, during their busiest time, they might not like that or really look at your application again. My advisor said to send one in like October (I just got a Full time EMT job) when things are have slowed a little
just speaking to this b/c I encountered a similar dilemma in a previous application cycle, but i was advised not update about just accepting a new position or a job only because you haven't really gained any experience doing the job, however, if you indicated that you're plans for the year are X, and they are now Y, then that might be worthy of an update email (for schools that allow multiple updates)

just my 2c

Thanks for the info!! I will wait awhile probably!!

just speaking to this b/c I encountered a similar dilemma in a previous application cycle, but i was advised not update about just accepting a new position or a job only because you haven't really gained any experience doing the job, however, if you indicated that you're plans for the year are X, and they are now Y, then that might be worthy of an update email (for schools that allow multiple updates)

just my 2c

Thanks for the response!! I did talk about a different job being my plan for the next year and now it has changed, but I may still wait a little longer to update that!! Thanks!!!

Not sure if this has been asked before, but how long did it take people to receive a "Completed" email?

Anyone else submit pre-7/19 and not receive the complete email today?
Yes! I emailed them and they said they hadn't marked it complete because one of my letters was not sent yet but it was sent so it was marked complete after I emailed them earlier this week!

I sent in my AMCAS app July 10th and it was just verified two days ago.
I recieved the NYM secondary on July 11th and took my casper on July 30th.
I have not yet recieved an interview. Has anyone gotten it yet??

I sent in my AMCAS app July 10th and it was just verified two days ago.
I recieved the NYM secondary on July 11th and took my casper on July 30th.
I have not yet recieved an interview. Has anyone gotten it yet??

I was marked complete by July 30th (including CASPer score receipt, LORs, etc.) and haven't heard anything back on interviews yet.

I was marked complete by July 30th (including CASPer score receipt, LORs, etc.) and haven't heard anything back on interviews yet.

did you get an email? since the portal doesnt have a status update

Hi all! So I'm wrapping up my apps and NYMC was originally on my maybe list. I took another look at it and I'm still not sure if I should apply. For reference, here's where my head's at:

Pros: love the value diversity & URM students, my partners family lives less than 45 min from campus (and I like the proximity to NYC), lots of EC's (which I'm into, I am def an EC junkie haha), on target for my stats, my premed advisor recommended applying, and it seems like a supportive community.

Concerns: large class size, don't love that most students live on campus first 2 yrs (I would need to live with my non med student partner so I assume living on campus is not an option for me, and feel this may leave me feeling disconnected from the community), low number of psych matches (which is one of my potential specialties), car required (I would prefer accessible public transportation), and the rotation sites seem quite spread out (increased travel time and more $ on gas).

So idk, are there any current students or individuals familiar enough with NYMC to offer me some advice/discuss more details about the school to decide whether I should apply or not? I understand that I don't have anything to lose besides some money, but 1) I am broke lol and 2) is it really worth applying if I have so many concerns about the school? Happy to DM someone about this as well.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Hi all! So I'm wrapping up my apps and NYMC was originally on my maybe list. I took another look at it and I'm still not sure if I should apply. For reference, here's where my head's at:

Pros: love the value diversity & URM students, my partners family lives less than 45 min from campus (and I like the proximity to NYC), lots of EC's (which I'm into, I am def an EC junkie haha), on target for my stats, my premed advisor recommended applying, and it seems like a supportive community.

Concerns: large class size, don't love that most students live on campus first 2 yrs (I would need to live with my non med student partner so I assume living on campus is not an option for me, and feel this may leave me feeling disconnected from the community), low number of psych matches (which is one of my potential specialties), car required (I would prefer accessible public transportation), and the rotation sites seem quite spread out (increased travel time and more $ on gas).

So idk, are there any current students or individuals familiar enough with NYMC to offer me some advice/discuss more details about the school to decide whether I should apply or not? I understand that I don't have anything to lose besides some money, but 1) I am broke lol and 2) is it really worth applying if I have so many concerns about the school? Happy to DM someone about this as well.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Unless money is a huge concern, why not apply? Especially considering you're in-state and it's on par with your stats. Your other concerns are post-acceptance type questions. You can ask about their living policies and psych clubs/matches etc. during interview or information sessions. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Unless money is a huge concern, why not apply? Especially considering you're in-state and it's on par with your stats. Your other concerns are post-acceptance type questions. You can ask about their living policies and psych clubs/matches etc. during interview or information sessions. Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback! I'm not technically in state, it's my partner's family that lives closeby, not me personally. And they are actually OOS, in CT, but because the school's location is very close to the CT border it is only a 45 min drive from the school to where he currently lives. But I definitely see your point and appreciate the input, thanks!

Just read on Forbes that nymc may delay the process a few months, we gotta be patient I guess!

Just added them to my app today! I realized there's a clinic site in my hometown :) makes me happy.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but how long did it take people to receive a "Completed" email?

Submitted my secondary on 8/23, received complete email 8/26, so 3 business days.

Submitted my secondary on 8/23, received complete email 8/26, so 3 business days.
I wouldn't take this person's case as when you should expect a complete email. I submitted 8/7 and still nothing. Some people who submitted in July are still waiting as well.

I just received an email as well stating that thy require science faculty letters and math does not count in this regards. However I submitted a letter from a biochem. immunology, cell biology, and a calculus professor? I emailed them. I hope they can clear this up.

OOS. Submitted Secondary 7/20. Complete email received moments ago.

Wondering if this means I will hear back sometime soon. Feels like forever and it's only been a month.

OOS. Submitted Secondary 7/20. Complete email received moments ago.

Wondering if this means I will hear back sometime soon. Feels like forever and it's only been a month.
Complete email was sent to everyone right after. I submitted mine a month ago and have yet to hear anything

Complete email was sent to everyone right after. I submitted mine a month ago and have yet to hear anything

Yeah, I knew everyone that's complete gets them, but since I had everything including LORs and Casper in by 7/20, but didn't receive an actual complete email until this morning, I figured that meant I am now in a much smaller line to get reviewed. But judging from your experience, I still have a while to go. When did you receive your "complete" email?

Yeah, I knew everyone that's complete gets them, but since I had everything including LORs and Casper in by 7/20, but didn't receive an actual complete email until this morning, I figured that meant I am now in a much smaller line to get reviewed. But judging from your experience, I still have a while to go. When did you receive your "complete" email?
3 days later. I also had everything else done. LOR, Casper and MCAT score