2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete email received, submitted 7/18

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email just now that I was missing my UG LOR- I don't have one ready to send...I was a psych major and didn't really keep up a relationship with any of my professors -should i just give up applying to this school ?
Ok weird received completed email today — I’m now confused bc I didn’t send in a LOR from my major, what should I do?

did you guys tell your letter writers to include your amcas id number on the letter? it seems like NYMC wants that based on website....
No, and I was marked complete. I feel like it may be an older policy from when amcas was less centralized? Who knows. They may prefer it, but it’s not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if they changed it, but my word count was definitely 287 (about 1500 characters), and I could have added more, up to the 300-word count.
Sounds like they changed it then. I had the same thing happen as @adelaster. I don’t think it really matters though.

Reactions: 1 user
No, and I was marked complete. I feel like it may be an older policy from when amcas was less centralized? Who knows. They may prefer it, but it’s not necessary.
I also didn't do this and got marked complete today, so I wouldn't worry about this too much

I wrote a 276 character response and it shows 276/300 under the response box. It does not say characters specifically but that appears to be what it was counting. Did they change the limit to 300 words? They might have. 300 characters felt absurdly short for anyone with more than minimal impact from COVID
This for me too. Sounds like they changed it to 300 words. I hope that doesnt put us at a disadvantaged.

This for me too. Sounds like they changed it to 300 words. I hope that doesnt put us at a disadvantaged.
Wait did they actually change it to 300 words? If so, shouldn't the folks who submitted the secondary when it was only 300 characters get to re-submit or something?

Wait did they actually change it to 300 words? If so, shouldn't the folks who submitted the secondary when it was only 300 characters get to re-submit or something?
I think if we submit the 300 words version via email I think that can update our file.

Im not sure if they changed it. But they told us 300 characters but now people can do 300 words? Sounds like they changed iy

I think the only way we can confirm is if someone who have just received their secondary to take a picture of their prompt and verify the word count --but I still think otherwise if we email will be also sufficient as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I actually emailed NYMC about this issue. They said I can email them a 300 word essay for the COVID prompt and they will attach it to my application file!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I emailed them an essay when I first submitted and they added that to my file the same day I emailed them

Thanks! How did you ask about updating the covid essay? Did you say you heard that it was now 300 words?
this was way before I saw that here. I simply emailed them the essay and asked them to include it in my file.

4th Year Medical Student here at NYMC. Please let me know if anyone has any questions regarding the school, student life, surrounding areas etc... Happy to answer questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
4th Year Medical Student here at NYMC. Please let me know if anyone has any questions regarding the school, student life, surrounding areas etc... Happy to answer questions :)

Thank you for your help! So how is the neighboring area, positives and negatives about the curriculum, and org opportunities. Any suggestions on the type of student profile you have in your cohort?

Thank you for your help! So how is the neighboring area, positives and negatives about the curriculum, and org opportunities. Any suggestions on the type of student profile you have in your cohort?
No problem!

Campus is in a secluded area in Valhalla, within walking distance to the WMC hospital. Positives: P/F curriculum (my year still used Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail), some professors are really good at teaching some are not (which is what you get at any medical school). Some courses have a lot of mandatory case based learning which is good for people that learn from that type of education. You get early exposure to patients (real and standardized) at the beginning of M1 year and the clinical medicine curriculum prepares you decently for third year clerkships. Third year has a lot of room for electives compared to my year so you can really explore what specialty you are most interested in or even check out some subspecialties.

Unlike some medical schools, our clinical rotations are spread across within the surrounding regions of New York State based off lottery system, however, with that being said people that generally want to stay in NYC area get most if not all of their picks in the city and if you want to stay in Westchester you can set it up that way.

There are decent club opportunities, and its not hard to make your own club if you want to (great for CV purposes) if you can garner enough interest. Research opportunities are plentiful ranging from basic science to clinical but you have to put yourself out there or ask one of the academic deans to provide you with a connection in your area of interest. Bc we are not attached to an undergrad institution, you won't have hundreds of people in a club but the diversity of the class as well as other professional schools part of NYMC give you good diverse group of people to interact with.

From my experience my class have people from all walks of life, some are non-trads and some are straight from undergrad. We were a tightly knit group with many student senate run events and activities. Or even just social "get togethers" after big tests. Overall I had a really fun medical school experience, but would never ever EVER do medical school again.

Cheers!

Reactions: 3 users
No problem!

Campus is in a secluded area in Valhalla, within walking distance to the WMC hospital. Positives: P/F curriculum (my year still used Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail), some professors are really good at teaching some are not (which is what you get at any medical school). Some courses have a lot of mandatory case based learning which is good for people that learn from that type of education. You get early exposure to patients (real and standardized) at the beginning of M1 year and the clinical medicine curriculum prepares you decently for third year clerkships. Third year has a lot of room for electives compared to my year so you can really explore what specialty you are most interested in or even check out some subspecialties.

Unlike some medical schools, our clinical rotations are spread across within the surrounding regions of New York State based off lottery system, however, with that being said people that generally want to stay in NYC area get most if not all of their picks in the city and if you want to stay in Westchester you can set it up that way.

There are decent club opportunities, and its not hard to make your own club if you want to (great for CV purposes) if you can garner enough interest. Research opportunities are plentiful ranging from basic science to clinical but you have to put yourself out there or ask one of the academic deans to provide you with a connection in your area of interest. Bc we are not attached to an undergrad institution, you won't have hundreds of people in a club but the diversity of the class as well as other professional schools part of NYMC give you good diverse group of people to interact with.

From my experience my class have people from all walks of life, some are non-trads and some are straight from undergrad. We were a tightly knit group with many student senate run events and activities. Or even just social "get togethers" after big tests. Overall I had a really fun medical school experience, but would never ever EVER do medical school again.

Cheers!

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful! I wish you the best for your residency! :)

Is anyone still waiting on a secondary? I added this school yesterday and was already verified by haven't gotten a secondary yet

has anyone else been able to submit a 300-word essay directly through the secondary (not by emailing them)? because I see talk that they updated the limit on the application but I received the secondary yesterday morning and it is definitely still only allowing 300 characters. i'm confused lol

has anyone else been able to submit a 300-word essay directly through the secondary (not by emailing them)? because I see talk that they updated the limit on the application but I received the secondary yesterday morning and it is definitely still only allowing 300 characters. i'm confused lol
Just be grateful it’s so short and make every word count!

@wysdoc hahaa, I'm very grateful! but I wouldn't mind having the extra space to slip in a new activity if I can :) I'll more than likely go the email route as well.

this has nothing to do with NYMC, just looking for some feedback from anybody. would this be considered a HIPAA violation: "my boss was put on medical leave due to unforeseen circumstances"?

Last edited:
this has nothing to do with NYMC, just looking for some feedback from anybody. would this be considered a HIPAA violation: "my boss was put on medical leave due to unforeseen circumstances"?

I don't think it is a HIPAA violation technically since you're not linking a certain condition to a person's identifying info. But I'd imagine it won't be hard to figure out who your "boss" is. But my (professional) recommendation is to just not out your boss like that, regardless if it was medical or not. Can you say "my boss was on leave due to personal circumstances"?

I submitted on 7/17 and still haven't received a complete email... is that normal? or should I email NYMC?

I submitted on 7/17 and still haven't received a complete email... is that normal? or should I email NYMC?

Have your letters of recommendation, CASPer results, and other documents been marked as received by NYMC? It took a while for my application to be marked complete even though I submitted in earlier July since my LORs and CASPer weren't in yet.

No, I submitted on 7/19 and just got a complete email today.

Have your letters of recommendation, CASPer results, and other documents been marked as received by NYMC? It took a while for my application to be marked complete even though I submitted in earlier July since my LORs and CASPer weren't in yet.

Where can I check my application status on the NYMC secondary page? I submitted my primary with all LORs and transcripts on May 28 and I took my CASPer test early June so they should have received everything???

Where can I check my application status on the NYMC secondary page? I submitted my primary with all LORs and transcripts on May 28 and I took my CASPer test early June so they should have received everything???

Sorry, I forgot NYMC doesn't have the application status tracker that a lot of other schools do. There wasn't a good way for me to tell when I got mine marked complete. My LORs had registered as received by AMCAS and my CASPer test results were ready after some time. I think it took probably somewhere between a few days to a week after those were validated by AMCAS and CASPer before NYMC emailed me with a complete email. Up until then, I don't think there's a way through their secondary to check.

That is odd - since you've sent everything to them I would have thought you would be marked complete. It may be worth sending them a short email asking if they have received everything properly from your application, or you could wait a little longer.

I was complete on 7/31, but I also had a 300 character limit for the covid essay. Would it be better to submit 300 words, or just stick with the original? Thanks!

I was complete on 7/31, but I also had a 300 character limit for the covid essay. Would it be better to submit 300 words, or just stick with the original? Thanks!

I am in a similar situation, and I just stuck with the 300 characters. It gave me four sentences to succinctly sum up my hardships. I felt that was enough

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, M4 from NYMC checking in about this 300 character limit. NYMC receives one of the highest number of applicants each year. Just my 2 cents since i've sat in on interviews and spoken to a ton of Faculty that admits medical students and residents.

The people tasked with reading your application don't have time to read fluffy essays. They much rather prefer succinct writing that gets the message across. I wouldn't stress too much about filling the character/word requirements, bc MOST LIKELY it will not be the deciding factor between giving you and interview vs putting you on hold/rejecting you.

As someone who has been in your shoes and gone through a very tough application cycle I understand where the neuroticism of "I NEED TO FILL EVERY SINGLE SPACE ALLOTTED TO ME." Try to find time for friends and family during this upcoming application cycle to distract you from the stress of applying and TRY TO STAY FAR AWAY from SDN as much as possible it'll only cause you more stress!

Best of luck!

Ps: you can PM me or just quote me to ask any questions you have! I try to check sdn every now and then when I have downtime :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, M4 from NYMC checking in about this 300 character limit. NYMC receives one of the highest number of applicants each year. Just my 2 cents since i've sat in on interviews and spoken to a ton of Faculty that admits medical students and residents.

The people tasked with reading your application don't have time to read fluffy essays. They much rather prefer succinct writing that gets the message across. I wouldn't stress too much about filling the character/word requirements, bc MOST LIKELY it will not be the deciding factor between giving you and interview vs putting you on hold/rejecting you.

As someone who has been in your shoes and gone through a very tough application cycle I understand where the neuroticism of "I NEED TO FILL EVERY SINGLE SPACE ALLOTTED TO ME." Try to find time for friends and family during this upcoming application cycle to distract you from the stress of applying and TRY TO STAY FAR AWAY from SDN as much as possible it'll only cause you more stress!

Best of luck!

Ps: you can PM me or just quote me to ask any questions you have! I try to check sdn every now and then when I have downtime :)

Hi! Thank you so much for the heads up - is it possible for your to DM me? For some reason it won't let me msg you :(

Sorry, I forgot NYMC doesn't have the application status tracker that a lot of other schools do. There wasn't a good way for me to tell when I got mine marked complete. My LORs had registered as received by AMCAS and my CASPer test results were ready after some time. I think it took probably somewhere between a few days to a week after those were validated by AMCAS and CASPer before NYMC emailed me with a complete email. Up until then, I don't think there's a way through their secondary to check.

That is odd - since you've sent everything to them I would have thought you would be marked complete. It may be worth sending them a short email asking if they have received everything properly from your application, or you could wait a little longer.
I ended up emailing them and they said they received everything so my application is complete :) thank you!!

are you supposed to get a confirmation email when you're complete? I have everything in including the secondary (300 character gang :( ) but haven't gotten confirmation of completion or anything

are you supposed to get a confirmation email when you're complete? I have everything in including the secondary (300 character gang :( ) but haven't gotten confirmation of completion or anything
Yes indeed they do send an application complete email

I added NYMC to my primary application on Monday night (8/10) along with another school. I received a secondary from the other school almost immediately, but I have yet to receive anything from NYMC even though their website says they send a secondary to all applicants. I don't want to seem overly anxious, but should I be concerned that my application didn't send for some reason? It's been almost a full 48 hours so not too long, but it seems like a lot of people got theirs within 2 days at the start of the application cycle. Thanks for any guidance!

I added NYMC to my primary application on Monday night (8/10) along with another school. I received a secondary from the other school almost immediately, but I have yet to receive anything from NYMC even though their website says they send a secondary to all applicants. I don't want to seem overly anxious, but should I be concerned that my application didn't send for some reason? It's been almost a full 48 hours so not too long, but it seems like a lot of people got theirs within 2 days at the start of the application cycle. Thanks for any guidance!

I'd wait for a bit - I'm sure their system might be a bit slower for some people for whatever reason. As long as you resubmitted your primary to NYMC and it shows up properly on AMCAS, you should receive their secondary.

MS-3 student leader at this school. I would love to answer any questions from anyone about the pre-clinical years!!! I can't say I know everything completely up to to date, but I do know a lot of current MS-2s and MS-1s that I can ask about your questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm kinda freaked out! Just got an email from NYMC that says:

"We require a non-science letter and two science letters from undergrad. Of these three letters, one must be from your undergraduate major/department. You may send one science letter from your graduate program to satisfy the second science letter from undergrad.

If you are unable to have the required letters submitted on your behalf, you can send an email to [email protected] after you submit your supplemental application, stating that you would like your application complete as is, with the letters you are having sent in. Please keep in mind that the strongest applications are those that have satisfied the required letters."

I just checked and I have my 2 science and 1 non-science letters already marked for NYMC through AMCAS....I also submitted my secondary a few weeks ago so not sure if this is going out to everybody as a reminder? Anyone also received this? Should I reply to clarify?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm kinda freaked out! Just got an email from NYMC that says:

"We require a non-science letter and two science letters from undergrad. Of these three letters, one must be from your undergraduate major/department. You may send one science letter from your graduate program to satisfy the second science letter from undergrad.

If you are unable to have the required letters submitted on your behalf, you can send an email to [email protected] after you submit your supplemental application, stating that you would like your application complete as is, with the letters you are having sent in. Please keep in mind that the strongest applications are those that have satisfied the required letters."

I just checked and I have my 2 science and 1 non-science letters already marked for NYMC through AMCAS....I also submitted my secondary a few weeks ago so not sure if this is going out to everybody as a reminder? Anyone also received this? Should I reply to clarify?
I didnt get it

I received the same for the UG major letter, but I don't think my UG major letter has sent his letter yet. But a week ago I received an email of completion... so it may work out like that for you.

I did not receive this email. Maybe email and clarify?