2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI submitted 6/19 and marked complete 6/22

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you see you were marked complete I did my secondary the day i got it?

It took a day for me after paying to get the email saying they received my payment. In that email they said my application was marked complete. Now if I log into the application portal I see that it says application complete

After you submit the payment, is that it? I do not see anything with submitting the application or anything. I got the receipt and everything

After you submit the payment, is that it? I do not see anything with submitting the application or anything. I got the receipt and everything
Yeah that confused me as well I payed and everything on the portal looked the same and I got the email. It just kept giving me the option to fill out the secondary and then when I checked today it now says completed and has my answers in there it just took a couple of days to populate.

Yeah it took a couple days for the payment to process, then I received the email stating my app was complete. Before that if I tried to login it would direct me back to the payment page. Definitely do not pay them twice lmao

For the part of the secondary where we have to upload a picture of ourself, is it recommended for this to be a professional headshot and/or should we be wearing professional clothes in the picture?

For the part of the secondary where we have to upload a picture of ourself, is it recommended for this to be a professional headshot and/or should we be wearing professional clothes in the picture?
I wore professional clothing, but I think you can get away with just about anything. The secondary just wanted a passport-style photo (2x2 in, <2 mb). I would wear at least a nice dress shirt or blouse and take it against a blank wall.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone having trouble accessing the secondary? Every time I try clicking on the link, it tells me the site cannot be reached.

I live on the East Coast and would like to stay near my support system during medical school, so I prefer the OW campus. Would it suffice to discuss location for this prompt or should I go into detail about what the school offers?

Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

I live on the East Coast and would like to stay near my support system during medical school, so I prefer the OW campus. Would it suffice to discuss location for this prompt or should I go into detail about what the school offers?

Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

I would focus a majority of your energy on campus-specific things that you like, and maybe a sentence or two about how you have a strong support network near this location that is a plus for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a current student at NYITCOM. I just wanted to tell you all to choose wisely while thinking to attend this school. Attrition is 10%+

If I could wait a year and go somewhere else I totally would. Read the earlier threads for more information.
Why would you wait a year? Have you had a bad experience there so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a current student at NYITCOM. I just wanted to tell you all to choose wisely while thinking to attend this school. Attrition is 10%+

If I could wait a year and go somewhere else I totally would. Read the earlier threads for more information.
Why did you remove the details man?

Seems suspect. If you want to post something that will benifit people on SDN, say "X school is bad because Y." Ok 10% attrition is that for this class year only or what? You are leaving us hanging with a claim if anything rather than a fact. What are some things you do not like in this campus so we can evaluate the campus properly. I looked on past forms and I hear many good things and a few bad things but they are rather minor if anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems suspect. If you want to post something that will benifit people on SDN, say "X school is bad because Y." Ok 10% attrition is that for this class year only or what? You are leaving us hanging with a claim if anything rather than a fact. What are some things you do not like in this campus so we can evaluate the campus properly. I looked on past forms and I hear many good things and a few bad things but they are rather minor if anything.
He gave specifics and I read them but it appears he edited them out now. Sadly I can't remember them that well. I suppose perhaps the details are too sensitive?

He gave specifics and I read them but it appears he edited them out now. Sadly I can't remember them that well. I suppose perhaps the details are too sensitive?

I remember some of it. Said the school doesn’t prepare you for boards and you’re on your own. They also mentioned rotations saying they’re not great and seemed annoyed they were based on a lottery system (even though a lot of DO schools are)

Sorry I got too specific, please PM me if you want details.

yes 10% of each class fails out. I’m not sure how many students fail a block but it is definitely more than 10% from what I’ve heard from my classmates. But they can remediate. The policy is that if you fail the first semester you have to remediate, if you don’t pass remediation you have to repeat the year. 9 of my previous classmates that I know of are repeating the year.

Do you think the attrition rate has anything to do with the large class size (maybe means filling in spots with academically under-performing students) or more so to do with the actual curriculum?

Does anyone know if the OW campus accepts a good amount of OOS people?

I'm 4th year student at Old Westbury, often lurking about on SDN so if you have any questions about NYITCOM feel free to ask me here or PM.

How diverse is the area around Old Westbury? Also how do you feel about the clinical rotations, do you feel that you're getting exposed to a wide range patients/underserved communities?

Thanks!!

Sorry off topic, but I just submitted my application and already got an email from NYITCOM, I'm shocked! I didn't expect it to happen so fast lol

Sorry off topic, but I just submitted my application and already got an email from NYITCOM, I'm shocked! I didn't expect it to happen so fast lol
They’re so fast I somehow got my secondary before even being verified.

• Wow
How diverse is the area around Old Westbury? Also how do you feel about the clinical rotations, do you feel that you're getting exposed to a wide range patients/underserved communities?

Thanks!!
Depends, but in my experience there’s a good amount of diversity on Long Island, particularly in the areas closer to the mainline.

Our rotation sites definitely are pretty varied as you can rotate in NYC, proper suburban Long Island, and bumble**** Upstate if you want. Long Island has a lot of underserved communities that you’ll end up being exposed to guaranteed. The free clinic works with a lot of immigrants if you want to get involved with underserved communities early.

Since they've been so quick with secondaries does anyone know how soon they'll start sending our IIs?

Since they've been so quick with secondaries does anyone know how soon they'll start sending our IIs?

From a glance back at last years SDN thread it seems as though they started sending IIs early August. People were commenting complete dates of late June so I’d assume the timeline would be similar

I'm 4th year student at Old Westbury, often lurking about on SDN so if you have any questions about NYITCOM feel free to ask me here or PM.
I have a sGPA 3.5 and cGPA 3.76. Are these stats competitive for Marian?

How are y'all answering the campus location question? Im interested in the Long Island campus because I want to practice in inner city/urban regions. I saw that someone mentioned working with immigrants at the Long Island campus because of NYC. Both my parents are immigrants, and i would love to work with the immigrant/underserved population....would talking about that suffice? lol

How are y'all answering the campus location question? Im interested in the Long Island campus because I want to practice in inner city/urban regions. I saw that someone mentioned working with immigrants at the Long Island campus because of NYC. Both my parents are immigrants, and i would love to work with the immigrant/underserved population....would talking about that suffice? lol

I personally mentioned appeal of the location(urban/nyc etc), being close to family, and some of the programs/activities specific to the NY campus.

I think what you mentioned sounds great though!

I talked about the DO/MS program since I work with patients who have Musculoskeletal disease and want to have a better knowledge on how to take care of them in the context of osteopathic medicine!

Does this school have a portal? My new MCAT score was submitted yesterday through AACOMAS but I haven't heard anything about completion. I submitted the secondary on 6/28.

Does this school have a portal? My new MCAT score was submitted yesterday through AACOMAS but I haven't heard anything about completion. I submitted the secondary on 6/28.

I don't think so. Secondary/MCAT's been submitted there for a few weeks now and all I've heard since was the confirmation email that they got everything and they'd be in touch if offered an interview.

I’ve called their admissions office before to verify my application status - they’re super nice and can look up and fix whatever you need on the phone in like 5 minutes. Hope that helps!

If you're not accepted to your first choice campus would they consider you for the other campus? I prefer NY but I would be happy to go to the AR campus as well
Yes-Immediately after submitting to AACOMAS, I received an email with the secondary login information. Looks like they don't even read primary applications-on the secondary page, they ask for your preference, and then they ask if you'd consider either campus if you don't get your first choice.

Submitted primary today (7/16) and received secondary within 2 hours (obviously not verified yet)

Hi Guys! My friend is applying to NYITCOM and has taken the MCAT previously (2019), however, she is scheduled to retake the exam in September (still acceptable according to NYITCOM). But does anyone know if NYITCOM will consider her app now for interview or does the school need the retake score to be in first before considering her for an interview? Thanks in advance!

Marked complete today, took about 3 days from secondary submission date.

5. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it.

For this prompt, do you think its okay if I choose an academic challenge, or do you think its better that I find a personal one to write about?

For this prompt, do you think its okay if I choose an academic challenge, or do you think its better that I find a personal one to write about?
Whatever you can say the most about and draw a meaningful conclusion from I’d say go for that

Some other schools explicitly advise against choosing an academic challenge. You don't want it to come across as apologizing for poor grades/performance.

But, at the end of the day, the challenge essay isn't about the challenge itself. It's about your approach in overcoming it. Did you sit down and cry? Did you just hope the problem went away? Did you come up with a logical plan, implement it, and overcome the challenge? Did you learn how to manage your stress and anxiety about the bad event so you were still able to perform well?