2020-2021 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While your personal impacts due to COVID-19 may have had a huge impact on your life and thus app cycle, I still would refrain from mentioning them since the question specifically asks for medical school application activities. I think they're looking for activities on your AMCAS or relevant activities that were disrupted. Hope you're doing okay!

Thank you so much for your response! Will do and hanging in there to the best of my ability!

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current / recently-former Maryland med students comment on their experience with the fact that there is letter-grading in all four years of school? Does this lead to stress or competition? Is Maryland exploring P/F, at least for the first two years like many schools?

If I’m not mistaken I think they are switching to a new curriculum and it will be H/HP/P for all four years. But I’m not sure how different that is from a graded system.

also here’s a link to the curriculum:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that medicine should be addressed in the "What does it mean to you to enter into a profession?" question? Or should it be a more abstract/general discussion of any profession?

Anyone else have everything submitted but still not complete?
Yeah I submitted everything already, but on my Status page of the portal, I have all green checkmarks except for the last one that says "Application not yet complete." Is this the same for everyone else?

Yeah I submitted everything already, but on my Status page of the portal, I have all green checkmarks except for the last one that says "Application not yet complete." Is this the same for everyone else?
I emailed them and they said it’s an issue on their side they’re trying to fix

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about one of the prompts. I am struggling with the first portion of "Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession". I read past years application threads and saw some answers, but nothing that really cleared this up for me. The only one that kind of made sense was someone saying " it’s a fancy way of asking how you bring diverse experiences to the program aside from your ethnicity or other ways to identify yourself socially on SDN". Does anyone else agree with this or have any more insight?

like most advice given on here about the diversity essay, they do not want you to limit your answer about the diversity you offer to your identity. google identity wheel. social identity includes things like race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender identity, etc. those aspects COULD be part of why you would bring diversity to the school, but diversity also comes from your unique experiences and what you have learned from them

Ahhh, okay, thank you! I appreciate it.

For the work description where it has you put in your paid experiences, how much of a description is everyone putting? Are you just putting a work title or putting a sentence describing the job?

For the work description where it has you put in your paid experiences, how much of a description is everyone putting? Are you just putting a work title or putting a sentence describing the job?
I think there's only 140 characters so you can only REALLY briefly list what you did...

Reactions: 1 users
For the question about most important clinical experience, do you think it's ok to talk about a different clinical experience than what I wrote about for my most meaningful essay on my AMCAS? Or would that be too inconsistent?

For the question about most important clinical experience, do you think it's ok to talk about a different clinical experience than what I wrote about for my most meaningful essay on my AMCAS? Or would that be too inconsistent?

I think it’s perfectly okay. For example, my most meaningful was about my time at a hospital working with patients in the neurology and psychiatry clinic. For this essay I wrote about my time shadowing a physician and how well he handled patients.
I don’t think it’s inconsistent at all and I don’t think an Adcom would mark your app up (or whatever they do) for having a non-significant discrepancy.

I think it’s perfectly okay. For example, my most meaningful was about my time at a hospital working with patients in the neurology and psychiatry clinic. For this essay I wrote about my time shadowing a physician and how well he handled patients.
I don’t think it’s inconsistent at all and I don’t think an Adcom would mark your app up (or whatever they do) for having a non-significant discrepancy.
I agree! I wrote about an experience that wasn't my most meaningful on my AMCAS app, even though I had a clinical experience listed as most meaningful.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary question asking about independent research or study, can this be conducting research for a PI? Or is it a project that I was fully in control of?
Both! As long it is outside of the classroom, it counts.

For the LOR requirement, if I'm sending individual letters, can I send more than the 3 required (2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty)? MSAR says the max is 10, but not sure if they're strict on just the 3 (from their website). I would love to add an LOR from my PI as well

Did anyone have an issue uploading their photo? Every time I upload, I get a 500 error.

Just noticed a status change to "under review." It must've happened last night or earlier this morning. Now I'm super nervous!

yay! where did you see this change? good luck :)
I checked the portal! Didn't get an email or anything, but I check all of my app portals at least once a day. Thanks!!

@tuams26 where does this status change occur? I've looked through all the tabs, but can't seem to find where it would update. I was complete 7/22.

Reactions: 3 users
@tuams26 where does this status change occur? I've looked through all the tabs, but can't seem to find where it would update. I was complete 7/22.

Under "status." This is what my application portal looks like now:
1597346594102.png

Before, the category "interview" and notes "under review" didn't exist. Hopefully the picture uploaded correctly!

Attachments

• 1597346489139.png
    1597346489139.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Ah nice. Thanks for the picture brother that would have been hard to explain without it. I'm sure you're going to help a lot of people out (and make them neurotically check their status page now). Good luck!

Ah nice. Thanks for the picture brother that would have been hard to explain without it. I'm sure you're going to help a lot of people out (and make them neurotically check their status page now). Good luck!
Of course! I hope I don't cause too much neuroticism lmao, I know the feeling. And thank you, you too!

Anyone who has submitted this secondary already, how did you fill out the course requirements section? Do you put multiple dates for each course for each requirement?

For the question, "Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service."

I had a satisfying experience through a student organization that operates under a national non-profit organization. Through this position, I helped plan events and raise funds for the non-profit organization. On AMCAS, I listed most of the associated hours under the experience category "Community Service/Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical".

I'm trying to decide if this actually qualifies as community service for the purposes of this prompt. The non-profit's proceeds went to numerous children's hospitals, so it definitely benefited the community. However, I'm not sure if the prompt is looking for a more direct community service experience. Thoughts?

For the question, "Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service."

I had a satisfying experience through a student organization that operates under a national non-profit organization. Through this position, I helped plan events and raise funds for the non-profit organization. On AMCAS, I listed most of the associated hours under the experience category "Community Service/Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical".

I'm trying to decide if this actually qualifies as community service for the purposes of this prompt. The non-profit's proceeds went to numerous children's hospitals, so it definitely benefited the community. However, I'm not sure if the prompt is looking for a more direct community service experience. Thoughts?

Raising money for a non-profit organization absolutely qualifies as community service. That is an awesome talking point and you should absolutely discuss it if this was your most satisfactory experience!

I think by definition raising money for a nonprofit that donates to hospitals is philanthropy rather than community service, which is more hands-on work, but it sounds like you're super passionate about it so it may be better to go with it under the premise of a more loose definition of anything that helps the community (which you definitely did!)

I think by definition raising money for a nonprofit that donates to hospitals is philanthropy rather than community service, which is more hands-on work, but it sounds like you're super passionate about it so it may be better to go with it under the premise of a more loose definition of anything that helps the community (which you definitely did!)

Hmm..

I also have experience performing science demonstrations at local elementary schools and judging local science fairs. Do you think this would be better? I'm pretty passionate about both, but maybe educational community outreach is a better response.

For this question: "If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information."

I have had some really severe personal impacts from COVID-19, but I guess this would not be the place to write that since it talks only about med school app activities?
I am sorry to hear that

Could someone share the prompts for the MD/Masters Program? Also are you considered separately for MD and MD/Masters programs?

Could someone share the prompts for the MD/Masters Program? Also are you considered separately for MD and MD/Masters programs?

@satdixon I applied MD/MPH, and the prompt was as follows:

Statement of Purpose and Objectives: Your statement should describe: (a) the personal and/or professional experiences that have motivated you to pursue the MD/MPH degree, (b) your career goals, and (c) why you think the MD/MPH Program at the University of Maryland School of Medicine would help you to achieve those career goals. Statements should be no longer than 10,000 characters (including spaces).

So any II from here yet? Seems like they are behind compared to last years thread

Anyone who has submitted this secondary already, how did you fill out the course requirements section? Do you put multiple dates for each course for each requirement?
Personally I put the date that I took the last class of that req as the date. Like for the English req, I put the month/year that I obtained the 6th out of 6 reqd English credits, and so on for each req, so only one date per subject. Hope this helps

II received! IS. Super excited because this is one of my top choices!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II as well!! One of my favorite schools! Email received right before 8pm. IS! Congrats @Vinbro123 !!

Reactions: 2 users