2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My shadowing experience got cancelled, it was in the process of happening back in March and I just got word that it won't be happening at all now. I was hoping to get a LOR from the physician I was going to shadow. I'm not sure if Marian would accept a LOR from a physician that you didn't shadow under. I don't know what to do.

I'm in the same boat. I have no idea what to do at this point. Have you emailed them?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I have no idea what to do at this point. Have you emailed them?
No. I tried calling because I figured it would be faster, but the phone number they have on their website just goes to voicemail.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
No. I tried calling because I figured it would be faster, but the phone number they have on their website just goes to voicemail.
Did you by chance leave a voicemail? Waiting on a email is no fun :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep getting the voicemail too. Have you heard back yet? I'm still waiting.

Just got an email saying I am complete, review takes 4 weeks or more. Waiting on my R now...

My MCAT might be the bane of my existence, but it depends on the MCAT average for this school if it increases or stays the same and how much value they put into the MCAT.

I was accepted without a letter of rec from a physician I shadowed. Instead, I used a letter of rec from a family friend. Not advised, but with COVID too they'll understand

I was accepted without a letter of rec from a physician I shadowed. Instead, I used a letter of rec from a family friend. Not advised, but with COVID too they'll understand
Was this at MU-COM? And was the family friend a physician? If so, you just gave me so much hope.
Also. When were you accepted?

Just curious do you think a close friend/mentor who previously supervised you in undergrad and is now a DO would be an acceptable LOR? There's one school that specifically says "no family" but it doesn't say anything about friends...Am I to take that as ok to ask?
Because there's one school that still requires DO letter even in wake of covid.

Was this at MU-COM? And was the family friend a physician? If so, you just gave me so much hope.
Also. When were you accepted?
I was accepted to MU-COM last cycle. I start this fall. I got a letter from my brothers best friend who I knew my whole life but never shadowed. I shadowed two other doctors briefly... but didnt shadow them long enough to establish a personal relationship. I

I would advise getting a letter from someone who knows you and can write something about you that the committee can't see through your resume, experiences, etc.

Often kids get a weak letter from a doctor they shadowed for a day who more or less regurgitates the applicants resume without providing any new relevant info into the applicants competencies in medicine. Just my food for thought. I remember being in your shoes and extremely stressed about not having a letter from a DO I shadowed. It is not the end of the world and may be better if you ask someone who truly KNOWS YOU

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious do you think a close friend/mentor who previously supervised you in undergrad and is now a DO would be an acceptable LOR? There's one school that specifically says "no family" but it doesn't say anything about friends...Am I to take that as ok to ask?
Because there's one school that still requires DO letter even in wake of covid.
see reply above

Anyone know how friendly MUCOM is to non-trads?

My status still says that they have not yet received my LOR's, keeping it from being completed. Anyone on the same boat? I was verified in June.

Is it okay to post a link to further detail regarding the shadow experiences in the secondary? Since only 750 char are allowed, would including information this way be acceptable?

My status still says that they have not yet received my LOR's, keeping it from being completed. Anyone on the same boat? I was verified in June.

My portal said the same thing until just recently -- I think it just takes them a while to process!

Is it okay to post a link to further detail regarding the shadow experiences in the secondary? Since only 750 char are allowed, would including information this way be acceptable?
not to be rude, just blunt. There is a character limit for a reason. I would not advise going over the 750 nor posting a link that exceeds the limit

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how friendly MUCOM is to non-trads?
If by nontraditional you mean applicants who have gap years in between undergrad or who pursue a post bacc or other schooling in between - then they are very receptive to that. a ton of people in my class have masters degrees or were in the BMS program before...as well as a lot of non-science majors, people from all different backgrounds etc !

Does anyone know how long it takes for your application to process after submitting the secondary?

Hello, Just wondering how much MU-COM Stresses Committee Letters. I have 4 letters of recommendations; one from a science professor, one from a research PI, one from a psych professor, and one from a physician. My school does offer committee letters but it is a long process and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

does anyone know how long it takes to get the secondary invite? they sent me an email on 7/22 that they were gonna send it in a week or two but I haven't gotten it yet. should I call or email them or wait it out a little longer?

does anyone know how long it takes to get the secondary invite? they sent me an email on 7/22 that they were gonna send it in a week or two but I haven't gotten it yet. should I call or email them or wait it out a little longer?

I got the same email on 7/22 and received the secondary invite on 7/24. Have you checked your spam folder?

I got the same email on 7/22 and received the secondary invite on 7/24. Have you checked your spam folder?
I think I did a few times and I didn't see it at all. Should I call and ask?

I think I did a few times and I didn't see it at all. Should I call and ask?

I would maybe wait a couple more days since the email said 1-2 weeks, but it's up to you. I don't think it would hurt to give a call and ask. Best of luck!

Just got an email saying I am complete, review takes 4 weeks or more. Waiting on my R now...
+1, complete email received today. Submitted secondary 7/2, marked complete a couple of days ago. Waiting on review now!

For the secondary question on which area of medicine you are most interested in practicing, would it hurt your chances if you put down a specialized position, since they seem to emphasize primary care? I'm thinking of putting infectious disease, and although it is a subspecialty of internal medicine, which is primary care, it's still specialized

For the secondary question on which area of medicine you are most interested in practicing, would it hurt your chances if you put down a specialized position, since they seem to emphasize primary care? I'm thinking of putting infectious disease, and although it is a subspecialty of internal medicine, which is primary care, it's still specialized
I think it would be best to put what you're truly passionate about, even if it might not be what you believe they want to hear. That passion will come through in your writing, and it will be far more powerful and genuine. For what it's worth, I put EM.

Reactions: 1 users
For the question "Other than MU-COM, have you applied to any medical school in the past?" what do I put if I submitted an application to AMCAS last year but withdrew my app before verification?

For the question "Other than MU-COM, have you applied to any medical school in the past?" what do I put if I submitted an application to AMCAS last year but withdrew my app before verification?
I don't think even AMCAS considers you a reapplicant if you withdraw before verification. I would probably say no to that question, as you didn't officially apply anywhere.

Can anyone post the correct set of secondary prompts? I am confused as to why there are two duplicate questions, one about covid and the other with regards to any changes.

Can anyone post the correct set of secondary prompts? I am confused as to why there are two duplicate questions, one about covid and the other with regards to any changes.

1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.
2. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty of physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).
3. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
4. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively)
5. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.
6. In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?
7. Please comment on your experience working with and future desire to serve patients in a rural or medically underserved community.
8. Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific.
9. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

• Love
1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.
2. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty of physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).
3. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
4. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively)
5. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.
7. Please comment on your experience working with and future desire to serve patients in a rural or medically underserved community.
9. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

Thank you so much!

anyone know what they consider a true gap in education? graduated in 2015, took a gap year & worked FT, finished grad school 2017, been working FT ever since and now applying to medical school. I feel like they're referring to unusual gaps (semester off, finishing a degree years later, etc) but I'm not totally sure. my gap years were simply for working and ensuring I don't rush back into school/applying until I was ready but is this necessary to explain?

anyone know what they consider a true gap in education? graduated in 2015, took a gap year & worked FT, finished grad school 2017, been working FT ever since and now applying to medical school. I feel like they're referring to unusual gaps (semester off, finishing a degree years later, etc) but I'm not totally sure. my gap years were simply for working and ensuring I don't rush back into school/applying until I was ready but is this necessary to explain?
I considered any gap longer than a normal school break such as winter break or summer break to be a gap in education. I am taking off two years prior to matriculating into medical school and I just wrote about what I have been doing with my time off from school.

should I reuse the covid essay I used on my primary? I'm not sure what to say that is different than that one since I talked about academic and professional struggles

should I reuse the covid essay I used on my primary? I'm not sure what to say that is different than that one since I talked about academic and professional struggles

I rephrased but said the same exact thing lol. unless something has drastically changed since primary submission its fine. I feel like they changed their secondary before AACOMAS added in that essay.

also I haven't gotten the official invite yet despite getting the email that I would, can someone confirm the character limits for each of these questions - I read 750 and 1200 somewhere and I don't know which one I should go for? Might as well pre-write them until I get the official one and just submit immediately lol -- thanks!!

also I haven't gotten the official invite yet despite getting the email that I would, can someone confirm the character limits for each of these questions - I read 750 and 1200 somewhere and I don't know which one I should go for? Might as well pre-write them until I get the official one and just submit immediately lol -- thanks!!
Hey! Questions 1 and 2 are 750 characters, question 3 is 1250, questions 4 is 2000, 5-8 are all 1250, and 9 is 750. Hope that clears things up and isn't too confusing!

Hey! Questions 1 and 2 are 750 characters, question 3 is 1250, questions 4 is 2000, 5-8 are all 1250, and 9 is 750. Hope that clears things up and isn't too confusing!
thanks so much! Are they hard cut-offs or more general suggestions?

Is anyone answering 9? I feel like I've explained everything relevant about myself in the prior questions?

Any II yet? I got my complete on 7/7/20, still nothing.

I was complete 3-4 weeks ago and still haven’t gotten my letters of rec checked off:(

I’m guessing they are a bit slow this year with everything going on