2020-2021 Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary Received 8/14 OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay cool I work in northern KY although I currently live in cincy. I’ve been working there for 2 years and will be my whole gap year so I’m hopeful they’ll send me a secondary. I also have family living in eastern KY
While I have some ties to Kentucky, none were very explicit in my primary other than I also live/grew up in the bordering city of Cincy, so I think you have a good shot at receiving one!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS. Received secondary 7/21, submitted secondary 7/28, Interview Invite 8/18, Interview scheduled for 9/9.

Last edited:
Which campus?
Bowling Green, which is my top choice. My desire to get my MPH at the same time limited my initial interest to Lexington or Bowling Green, and between those two, my wife and I prefer to live in (and future practice to be in) a smaller city setting, which eliminated Lexington for us between the two. Obviously would be fine with Lexington, but if given the option, prefer Bowling Green. Additionally, that campus would keep us closer to both of our families and we have some family friends who live right outside of BG.

OOS. Received secondary 7/21, submitted secondary 7/28, Interview Invite 8/18, Interview scheduled for 9/9.
Are you ED? They said any spots before 9/16 were for ED and the earliest spot they had for me was 11/10. Also OOS and received II 8/19.

Are you ED? They said any spots before 9/16 were for ED and the earliest spot they had for me was 11/10. Also OOS and received II 8/19.
I am not ED. I was originally scheduled for 9/30, but upon emailing the Bowling Green Campus coordinator to just get a little information about the structure of the interview, she offered my the earlier date.

I appears as though you are applying for the Lexington Campus. That is why we have a difference in interview options. Each campus has a completely separate interview process and structure.

Has anyone received an II to the Northern Kentucky campus? It’s my first choice and I am about to submit the secondary :)

OOS received II to BG campus on 8/18. Anyone know how many students the BG campus takes each year and/or how many the interview? Thanks!

OOS people - how did you answer these two questions differently? They feel very similar to me

“Please elaborate on persona characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and profession of medicine”

“Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.”

I’m ORM and didn’t necessarily have any difficulties growing up. They both almost seem like diversity essays to me

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS people - how did you answer these two questions differently? They feel very similar to me

“Please elaborate on persona characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and profession of medicine”

“Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.”

I’m ORM and didn’t necessarily have any difficulties growing up. They both almost seem like diversity essays to me

OK, I'm struggling on the same thing right now. I'm being more specific with the first one and more general with the second.

II just now! I'm crying and feel like I'm being punked.... complete 08/31 and interview is scheduled for 10/01

OOS but strong ties

Reactions: 2 users
II today for Morehead campus! Complete 8/28, OOS.

Any OOS with interviews without strong ties? I live in OH, about 2 hours from Lexington, so it would be an ideal location for me to go. But I have no formal ties to the state. Should I add UK or nah?
I am OOS with no ties and LizzyM of 66. I received an II so it's definitely possible for you

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOS with interviews without strong ties? I live in OH, about 2 hours from Lexington, so it would be an ideal location for me to go. But I have no formal ties to the state. Should I add UK or nah?
I was an OOS OH applicant with absolutely no ties, took the chance and now a UKCOM M1 about to take my second anatomy test! Please take the chance and add UK!!!

Did anybody else wait over 2 weeks (the time frame given in their email) to hear about a possible interview? or am I being ghosted lol

Accepted last week!
interviewed 8/13

primary application sent in 5/28
verified 5/28 lol same day i know i must have gotten lucky in the queue
Secondary received and completed 7/23
accepted 08/27

Love this school and cant wait to attend!!! The people at the school are some of the best individuals ive ever met!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted last week!
interviewed 8/13

primary application sent in 5/28
verified 5/28 lol same day i know i must have gotten lucky in the queue
Secondary received and completed 7/23
accepted 08/27

Love this school and cant wait to attend!!! The people at the school are some of the best individuals ive ever met!

Congrats!! Which campus are you attending and are you early decision?

Is there any current M1s lurking the Thread Specifically the Lexington Campus? I am currently at Willy T and Wanted to ask some questions regarding M1 year and the school. Will provide Food/Coffee/Beverage of choice lol

I am a clinical researcher for UK and Was Accepted into the College of Medicine Lexington Campus Last Week lol

also if there are no lexington M1 peeps anyone a M1 at the other campus i can talk to?

Thank you so much!

I love this School For real

Hello all, I'm an M1 at the University of Kentucky Northern Kentucky Campus. If you have any questions about UKCOM or the Northern Kentucky Campus, let me know! We just finished our first anatomy exam:)
Hi there, thank you for being willing to share insight! I am wondering about student orgs and groups- do all the campuses have the same groups? I'm particularly interested in the Lexington campus, and looking through the different groups/orgs, I'm not sure if they are all offered at all campuses. Also, how is UKCOM in terms of student wellness programs? Thank you!

I sent a primary to Kentucky in the beginning of sept but still haven’t received a secondary. Should I be concerned?

Hi there, thank you for being willing to share insight! I am wondering about student orgs and groups- do all the campuses have the same groups? I'm particularly interested in the Lexington campus, and looking through the different groups/orgs, I'm not sure if they are all offered at all campuses. Also, how is UKCOM in terms of student wellness programs? Thank you!
Sorry for the late response, we just took our second anatomy exam! So the answer is kind of yes and no. There are interest groups for each specially. So there is a pediatric interest group, OB/GYN, surgery and so on. Any campus member can join these groups and they are a very helpful way to learn more about different specialities. There are also several student organizations that have representatives from all of the campuses. For instance, you mention student wellness programs. At UKCOM, we have Resilient. Resilient is made up of representatives from every class at every campus. Resilient puts on events to promote student health. In order to be the doctors of tomorrow, we have to make sure that we take care of ourselves. Resilient also has a 24 hour phone line that you can call if you just need someone to talk to. AMA or the American Medical Association is also offered at every campus. On the other hand, there are some opportunities that are campus specific. At Lexington, there is the Salvation Army Clinic and VA Hospital where you can volunteer you time and really gain some valuable experience. At Northern, we have HealthPoint, a covington based clinic. Overall, UKCOM understands the struggles that a medical student can face and greatly stresses student wellness. Professors will always meet with you( face to face or zoom) if you are struggling. I'm so happy with my choice and would make it again!

Thank you for taking the time to reply!
Sorry for the late response, we just took our second anatomy exam! So the answer is kind of yes and no. There are interest groups for each specially. So there is a pediatric interest group, OB/GYN, surgery and so on. Any campus member can join these groups and they are a very helpful way to learn more about different specialities. There are also several student organizations that have representatives from all of the campuses. For instance, you mention student wellness programs. At UKCOM, we have Resilient. Resilient is made up of representatives from every class at every campus. Resilient puts on events to promote student health. In order to be the doctors of tomorrow, we have to make sure that we take care of ourselves. Resilient also has a 24 hour phone line that you can call if you just need someone to talk to. AMA or the American Medical Association is also offered at every campus. On the other hand, there are some opportunities that are campus specific. At Lexington, there is the Salvation Army Clinic and VA Hospital where you can volunteer you time and really gain some valuable experience. At Northern, we have HealthPoint, a covington based clinic. Overall, UKCOM understands the struggles that a medical student can face and greatly stresses student wellness. Professors will always meet with you( face to face or zoom) if you are struggling. I'm so happy with my choice and would make it again!

II just now! I'm crying and feel like I'm being punked.... complete 08/31 and interview is scheduled for 10/01

OOS but strong ties
If you don't mind me asking, what are your ties? Also, are you a resident of a nearby state?

I am OOS with no ties and LizzyM of 66. I received an II so it's definitely possible for you
Did you get an email after your primary submission asking you to expand on your ties to the state? Are you from a nearby state?