2020-2021 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got confirmation email yesterday, 7/30, after submitting on 7/29.
I also submitted 07/29 and never got an email, but the secondary application portal says my application is complete. Should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad.

What’s AOA based on here?

No idea. Don't personally know any of the alum or faculty on the selection committee to have asked. It appears to be holistically selected – had plenty of peers with 260s/all honours not get it, so it's definitely looking at something beyond scores. Done post-match, so doesn't really do much except add a sense of accomplishment, a CV line, and a nice placard for your office.

Anyone know how strict or apt they might be to waiving the second writing intensive course prereq? I took one of them pass/fail :(

I selected an online religious studies course as writing intensive. (The course had daily prompts that required ~4 page responses). Had the syllabus and supporting material to back up my designation, but was never asked by Hopkins to support. So I'd say it's flexible.

How brief are people being for the "Briefly explain..." prompts? Writing 2,500 characters of which area of medicine you are interested seems like a stretch.

Wondering the same thing. Is this a situation where you as a person was not in the majority? Or a decision a team made where you did not agree? Or is it just completely up to you how to answer?

@hellanutella thoughts, as a previous adcom member?

Brevity is fine, so long as it's not at the expense of clarity or failing to fully answer the prompt. 4-5 sentences for many of these prompts are sufficient.

For the "not in the majority": this is open ended. You can talk about being in the minority for a decision/team/etc. or for being a minority with respect to race/ethnicity/gender/identity/etc. in certain situations. I wrote about participating in a faith-based festival outside of my own background and what I learned and gained from it. I remember one person wrote about being the only dissenting vote on a student senate petition, and it was framed really engagingly.

Don't know what to say about the wonder prompt as that is after my time, but I would assume it is similarly open ended. Give the adcoms something that'll make them want to meet with you and chat about your source of wonder.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one who really enjoyed the secondary question about wonder? Like...it was really strange, but I loved how different it was and writing it ended up being very fun for me.

The only essay I enjoyed writing about besides my primary!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified and transmitted on Monday 8/3 but still haven't received secondary yet. Does JHU screen?

I was verified and transmitted on Monday 8/3 but still haven't received secondary yet. Does JHU screen?

Nope, they're happy to take your money regardless of your application strength. You'll receive it in 1-2 weeks time.

Nope, they're happy to take your money regardless of your application strength. You'll receive it in 1-2 weeks time.
Did that happen last year? It doesn't seem like anyone on this thread is speaking about delayed receipt of secondaries.

I was verified in July, added JHU 08/04 and haven't received anything yet as well.

Hey y'all wanted to get you opinion for the "Briefly describe your most rewarding experience" essay. At first, when I read it I thought that I would have to talk about one of the 3 most meaningful activities I wrote about in the primary. Is it okay that I pick something else instead? Like an activity from the primary that could not get much attention? Thanks!

Hey y'all wanted to get you opinion for the "Briefly describe your most rewarding experience" essay. At first, when I read it I thought that I would have to talk about one of the 3 most meaningful activities I wrote about in the primary. Is it okay that I pick something else instead? Like an activity from the primary that could not get much attention? Thanks!
I didn't use one of my 3 MME from primary. I felt i had nothing more to add about those 3 activities. I chose what would be my 4th most MME!

I didn't use one of my 3 MME from primary. I felt i had nothing more to add about those 3 activities. I chose what would be my 4th most MME!
Does that logically count as your most rewarding experience then lol

Does that logically count as your most rewarding experience then lol

For me it actually was, but the 3 I chose in primary were more like the ones that led me to medicine. For this one I chose to highlight something that wasn't medical or science related, but was very fulfilling

For the wonder essay, does it have to be something you experience in your daily life ("everyday life") or can it be from a singular moment in recent years (ex. a hike to a waterfall)?

For the wonder essay, does it have to be something you experience in your daily life ("everyday life") or can it be from a singular moment in recent years (ex. a hike to a waterfall)?
I chose a singular moment. I think it could be whichever, as long as you have something to talk about!

(For MSTP-only)

Unsure if I'm overlooking something because it seems like this question hasn't been asked before, but what exactly is Johns Hopkins referring to for the bolded section of this question?
List names of those who will submit letters of recommendation in support of your application to the graduate program. (See item 3 in “Additional Instructions for Applicants to the Combined M.D.-Ph.D. Program.”)

I have no idea what item 3 is and can't seem to find the "additional instructions" page...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, MSTP here. I submitted my app on 7/29 and my last rec letter came in 8/9. However, I forgot to upload my photo until today. Is my application delayed because of this? Thanks!

Congrats! A few questions - did you receive the invite via email or the portal? When is your interview?
You'll do great! Congrats again :)

Thanks! I appreciate it. I got an email from the same address that sent the secondary invite. My interview is next week, so it's coming quick! Your's will come before you know it. Good luck!

• Love
Thanks! I appreciate it. I got an email from the same address that sent the secondary invite. My interview is next week, so it's coming quick! Your's will come before you know it. Good luck!
That’s so exciting! You’ll do great. Good luck! And thank you so much - fingers crossed!

Interview invite just received!! I am shaking, I cannot believe it!!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Interview invite just received!! I am shaking, I cannot believe it!!!
Congrats!!!! Man, I really love seeing everybody's interview invite reactions...they're so wholesome *tears*

Reactions: 2 users
Omg interview invite received an hour ago!!! This is my first invite so I’m still in shock!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know where we are supposed to delineate that a course was taken online? The instructions say we should, but I can't seem to find where...

II rec'd just now. Secondary 7/19. Complete 7/30. Now, is anyone getting denied when trying to access the scheduler?

• Love
my md-phd people, i am confused because the prompt says to list area(s) of interest in graduate study but it has 2500 characters. since even the prompts to list languages or faculty that will send supporting lettters have 2000 characters, it feels appropriate to briefly state the keywords, similar to what, say, Harvard asks for. or am i misleading myself and it is more appropriate to go in as many details as possible and use the whole space?

cheers

i have the same question and wanted to follow up on this! what did my other md-phd folx do?

i have the same question and wanted to follow up on this! what did my other md-phd folx do?
I just did a list of keywords separated by commas! (actually copy-pasted from my Harvard one haha) It didn't feel like they wanted an actual paragraph/essay from the prompt.

does anyone know how far along w/ interviews JHU is? love this school but a bit behind on app :/

Also, did you all treat #6 (the optional one) as a general diversity prompt, or is it like HMS where only very specific instances of it (eg ethnicity, SES, LGBTQ+) are supposed to be written about?

Also, did you all treat #6 (the optional one) as a general diversity prompt, or is it like HMS where only very specific instances of it (eg ethnicity, SES, LGBTQ+) are supposed to be written about?
I treated it like Harvard's

does JH favor in-state applicants? noticed on MSAR a huge discrepancy in stats for the two (eg. for the MCAT, in-state median 520 and 10th% 514, OOS median 522 and 10th% 517) @hellanutella

does JH favor in-state applicants? noticed on MSAR a huge discrepancy in stats for the two (eg. for the MCAT, in-state median 520 and 10th% 514, OOS median 522 and 10th% 517) @hellanutella
It is my understanding that ALL schools, private as well as public, have some preference for IS students. This is because IS are always more likely to matriculate, so it helps yield, and because just about all schools, again, private as well as public, receive some state funding. It won't be nearly as pronounced at private as at public, but there are very few schools where it doesn't exist at all.

P.S. At JHU, the OOS admit rate is actually higher than IS, so I don't think you can accurately say they favor IS. Dig a little deeper into your numbers. You'll find IS is only around 10% of their matriculants and 5% of their accepted applicants. With such a tiny number, small differences in stats are meaningless.

Last edited:
did you all fill in all 2500 characters for the prompts? eg some of them say "briefly" so i'm not sure if they consider 2500 brief or if 2500 is just for space if someone really needs it.

also, is there a way to fit in a why JHU essay into any of the prompts? i don't really see how...or do they already know we want to come haha

@KnightDoc : hmm yeah maybe the OOS applicants are just stronger? idk
Not even. For the year I have data for, they had 12 IS accepted and 10 enrolled, With the comparable OOS data 270 and 108, the relative numbers are too small to draw any conclusions at all. The 12 are weaker than the 270, because their medians are off by 2 or 3? You can't say that when one pool is 5% of the other, especially when you are talking about medians instead of averages.

All we know if 6 people out of 12 had 520 or higher. It could be 5 525s and one 520, as unlikely as that might be. OOS had 135 at 522 or above. We don't know who had a higher average, or anything, other than we had to go down to 520 to find six acceptees in one pool while we only had to go to 522 to find 135 in the other. For the 10%ile, it probably means one IS had a 514. For OOS 26 people could have been below 514, as long as #27 had a 517!!!! :cool:

As I said, with a data set that small relative to the other, you just can't draw any conclusions at all.

Question about being marked complete: I never received an email, submitted application in July. Just realized I didn't submit a photo, just did. Does that mean I won't be complete until now, 2 months later???

Question about being marked complete: I never received an email, submitted application in July. Just realized I didn't submit a photo, just did. Does that mean I won't be complete until now, 2 months later???
Oof, unfortunately, I think so.