2020-2021 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying to MD/PhD - the email said that " an additional supplementary application form to complete if you are applying to the MD/PhD Program" but I have only received one link to start a secondary application from them. Do they just mean additional parts of a single supplementary application? Any other MD/PhD applicants have thoughts about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to MD/PhD - the email said that " an additional supplementary application form to complete if you are applying to the MD/PhD Program" but I have only received one link to start a secondary application from them. Do they just mean additional parts of a single supplementary application? Any other MD/PhD applicants have thoughts about this?

if your secondary has MD/PhD prompt, you have the right one.

Reactions: 1 user
Does "areas of medicine" refer to specialties we like? Or is it things like academic medicine, public health, etc?
fairly certain that it means specialties (e.g. EM, IM, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
How brief are people being for the "Briefly explain..." prompts? Writing 2,500 characters of which area of medicine you are interested seems like a stretch.

How brief are people being for the "Briefly explain..." prompts? Writing 2,500 characters of which area of medicine you are interested seems like a stretch.
I'm wondering the same thing. I feel like I'm struggling to get close to 2,500 characters for all of these essays. Do you think we really need to fill the character space completely? I used every character possible in my primary app, but I don't want these essays to sound too flowery.

It means there won’t be autosaves or points from which you can save

That's a relief, because when I read that sentence I gathered I would be timed or something to that measure.

I'm wondering the same thing. I feel like I'm struggling to get close to 2,500 characters for all of these essays. Do you think we really need to fill the character space completely? I used every character possible in my primary app, but I don't want these essays to sound too flowery.

My stance on character/word limits in general is that maximizing your essay-length is only as good as the quality it yields. If you can add more detail or insight that fleshes your ideas out, and in doing so you reach the character limit, that's ideal. If you feel that you've said everything meaningful there is to say, and your essay does not meet the character limit, don't pad it with fluff. I think the result of adding that fluff will be that your essay appears contrived.

All in all, I don't think there's anything wrong with being to the point if you've answered the questions to your greatest capacity.

• Love
Does anyone have any advice on how to think about the word "wonder" in the new prompt?

Does "areas of medicine" refer to specialties we like? Or is it things like academic medicine, public health, etc?

I think it's broad enough you could go with either. Or with the ginormous increase in character count, both!

Does anyone have any advice on how to think about the word "wonder" in the new prompt?

They describe it as rapt attention in which you're drawn in. Maybe you came across something you later found yourself fixated on? Listened to a really enlightening conversation? It's definitely vague, but as long as you capture their description I think whatever you choose will be fine.

With these questions asking about "an experience" or "a situation", is there any constraints on when you had these experiences? I have an experience from high school that I consider especially rewarding, but the mention of my AMCAS application makes me think twice in regards to writing about it.

Do you think it would be appropriate to use the optional essay as a COVID essay? My activities during the pandemic have reinforced my desire to be a doctor so I would like to write about them but am not sure if it is what they are looking for.

Do you think it would be appropriate to use the optional essay as a COVID essay? My activities during the pandemic have reinforced my desire to be a doctor so I would like to write about them but am not sure if it is what they are looking for.
I really like that idea for you! I think it would be great and show how you're continuing to grow as an applicant

Am I the only one really struggling to find something to write about for the new "wonder" prompt orrr

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one really struggling to find something to write about for the new "wonder" prompt orrr
nah you're not the only one

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.10.42 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.10.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.10.42 AM.png
    985 KB · Views: 108
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I talked about ~nature~
Specifically, a moment that really captured my attention. I had a photo of that moment as my computer background for years. It feels a little silly, but I wrote it as "we need to take a moment to step back and take in the world around us, because when we rush through life we miss so many details"

Reactions: 3 users
^ bruh I talked about animals in nature and concluded the same thing lololol
Is everyone gonna talk about dis? :') so much for escaping the cliche

I wrote about my gardening hobby and watching vegetables grow in the garden. Actually enjoyed writing this one.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Any clue as to when we will get the "Application Complete" email upon submission of secondary? Has anyone, who submitted on Thurs/Fri last wk already rec'd this confirmation?

You're not alone.

This prompt makes me think whether Hopkins is trying to recruit future physicians or creative writers.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
fairly certain that it means specialties (e.g. EM, IM, etc.)
Not necessarily... Areas of medicine could be broader than specialties -- such as interest in research, rural communities, etc. It can literally be whatever you want to do in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did y'all write about the non-majority situation? I think this could get 0 to 100 real quick

*Reads wonder question*
b16.jpg

I'll show myself out, JHU.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
When filling out their pre reqs, we can include a classes that we took P/NP, right? I took one of my humanities classes P/NP so it has "0 credits" next to it but I actually received 4.

Did you guys tie the wonder essay into medicine? Like the lessons learned....

I think they specifically want you to stray away from medicine and the sciences in general.

Reactions: 1 users
I avoided medicine or academics since the prompt encouraged us to do so.

What did y'all write about the non-majority situation? I think this could get 0 to 100 real quick
Wondering the same thing. Is this a situation where you as a person was not in the majority? Or a decision a team made where you did not agree? Or is it just completely up to you how to answer?

@hellanutella thoughts, as a previous adcom member?

Wondering the same thing. Is this a situation where you as a person was not in the majority? Or a decision a team made where you did not agree? Or is it just completely up to you how to answer?

I think both are valid interpretations. But I chose the first option since I had a situation that worked.

I opted for the second interpretation since the optional prompt lets you describe your experiences as a minority, if that's what you meant with the first interpretation.

Has anyone received the confirmation application complete email? I submitted almost a week ago but haven't received anything, not sure if that's normal or if I should be calling them

not rec'd anything. They dont have a status page so its hard to know whats up. But I have heard JHU takes a longer time than most to process. Not sure!

do y'all think that writing about stargazing/watching a meteor shower for the "wonder" essay is too science-y, given that they want something "unrelated to medicine or science"?

do y'all think that writing about stargazing/watching a meteor shower for the "wonder" essay is too science-y, given that they want something "unrelated to medicine or science"?

If it’s something you’re captivated by, I’d say go for it. I think the question is trying to get you to talk about something that you can get lost in, or that inspires you, that sparks your curiosity or drives you.

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Oh how time flies! Graduating MS4 and happy to answer any questions!

Stats [source]
- 6,016 applicants
- 4,297 secondaries completed (no screen)
- 856 interviewed (MD) + 71 interviewed (MSTP)
- In sum, about 1/3 accepted outright, waitlisted, and rejected
- 256 total acceptances
-120 matriculated (10-12 MSTP students)

*There is no in-state bias and international students are welcome.*

Requirements (see helpful FAQ)

2019-2020 Secondary Application (there is no screen)

1. Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application.
2. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment.
3. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.
4. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience?

Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.

Last year the word limit for all was 9999 characters, but previous years' limits were 1000 characters. As a former adcom member, I recommend you keep 'em more in the 1000 chara neighbourhood.

2019-2020 Important Dates
First secondary: July 2nd, 2019 (note that it can take a while to be marked as complete)
First interview: July 29th, 2019
First acceptances, waitlist, & post interview rejections: December 13th, 2019 via portal update (with email alert)
First pre-interview rejection: December 12th, 2019
First waitlist acceptance: May 5th, 2020

JHU is semi-rolling, so post-interview decisions are relayed solely in Dec, Jan, and March. As per JHU’s Facebook page, waitlist movement usually occurs by mid-May. The waitlist is unranked, and there is no differentiation between alternate list vs. waitlist.

Update Letter Policy
Updates are not accepted pre-interview. Post-interview updates may be sent to the admissions office.

Curriculum **unsure what changes may be applied with covid19**
Genes to Society 1.5 year condensed preclinical.
  • Preclinical has been P/F since 2009.
  • Pass is set to 70%
  • Clinicals are graded honours/high pass/pass/fail
  • Lectures are non-mandatory and recorded; labs and small group activities have ~80% required attendance
  • Flexible Step1 policy as of 2019 (can be taken preceding, between, or after MS3 clinicals)
Interview **pending covid19 policies**
One faculty interview, one MS4 student interview. Faculty and student interview is open-file.

While waiting for interviews you will be in a "fishbowl" waiting room, where you can interact with the MS4s (you will be pulled aside by one for the student interview). You are technically under evaluation during this time, but don't fret or fuss – just don't sit on your phone/heckle your peers/fall asleep and you ought to be fine.

How Much Time Do I Get to Study For Step? **could change with covid19 and P/F step1**

"Since Hopkins operates on 9-week blocks, most students allocate one block for boards studying, often using 6-7 weeks to study and 2-3 weeks for vacation. Students who feel a strong command of the subject matter can often complete studying in four weeks, but weak test takers have taken up to 13 weeks in the past. Students who use more time to study have less time for elective rotations. Because the summer term has an extra four weeks, students can use this time in combination with the prior or subsequent term to have 13 weeks for studying." [Source: Class MedWiki]

Clinical Rotation Sites
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (mothership, vast majority of rotations)
- Johns Hopkins Bayview (2nd most common site, 15 min away and has all Hopkins residents)

[You may or may not rotate at the following sites – typically <4w at a time]
- Sinai Hospital (private community hospital)
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center (private community hospital)
- Addl sites: Howard County General Hospital, St Agnes Hospital, Anne Arundel Medical Center
- Outpatient surgery/clinics at Johns Hopkins Green Spring Station and/or White Marsh
- Various community health clinics and offices in Baltimore City + County (particularly for longitudinal clerkship)

Research/Add'l Degrees
- ~3k extended MS1 summer to all doing a project with a Hopkins preceptor (called the Scholarly Concentration project)
- about a dozen Deans Year Scholars (~35k) extended per year for a dedicated research year
- annual funding allotted per student ($350) to support conference attendance
- one-time $700 fund to support most international experiences
- about a dozen students pursue a MPH at Bloomberg each year (partial and full scholarships may be applied for)
- students are allowed to take a year (or years) at another institution for dual degrees (ex: MPH, MBA)

Financial Aid
  • Prior to 2019-2020, JHU offered a $20,500 unit loan and need based aid only. This past cycle a limited number of full-ride offers were extended. Annual full COA is ~80k (tuition ~54k).
  • As of 2018, average indebtedness was $104,016.
  • 74% of students are awarded need-based scholarship; avg scholarship amount of $36,252
Of Note + FAQs
  • Johns Hopkins Admissions has a periodically updated Facebook page. Check it out.
  • There is no internal ranking in the preclinical years. MSPEs do not confer a ranking or graded superlatives, though grade histograms are appended to the document.
  • AOA is conducted post-match
  • If Match lists tickle your fancy, efle has compiled them from 2017-2020!
Hi there. I was wondering how LGBTQ friendly JH medical school adcoms are.

Ya'll these character limits are long! How are people approaching this?
I got pretty dang close to the limit for the first 3. I found that once I started writing, I had a lot to say! Just write what feels natural, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received application complete email or any confirmation of secondary? if so, when did you submit

Has anyone received application complete email or any confirmation of secondary? if so, when did you submit

Just received confirmation that they had received all of my secondary application materials and that they were forwarded to the Committee on Admission. I submitted on Monday, so it took around 3 days.

Got complete confirmation this morning, submitted over a week ago.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed the secondary question about wonder? Like...it was really strange, but I loved how different it was and writing it ended up being very fun for me.

Reactions: 10 users