2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is mcat really that important? What if you get a 494, cause that’s their cut off right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent IIs? *worried premed here*
During first Friday they mentioned that more interviews would come out in about 2 weeks from that day ... so maybe this week we should see some new II

Reactions: 5 users
do they screen pre or post secondary? sorry if discussed already..... also how holistic are they? low scores but 5 pubs / lots of research and clinical exp..... and outstanding LORs (4 from MDs, one being academic director of master's program...)

Last edited:
do they screen pre or post secondary? sorry if discussed already..... also how holistic are they? low scores but 5 pubs / lots of research and clinical exp..... and outstanding LORs (4 from MDs, one being academic director of master's program...)
They screen pre secondary. As far as being holistic, you will find out should you get invited for an interview with the stats/extracurriculars that you mentioned. If you fit the school’s mission you may be invited. It’s hard to give a straight answer about holistic review if not on admissions or have the experience of sitting in on adcom discussions about an applicant, which most of us are not privy to.

are you against retaking the MCAT? Sub 500 scores usually indicate that you need to focus more on the content review

They screen pre secondary. As far as being holistic, you will find out should you get invited for an interview with the stats/extracurriculars that you mentioned. If you fit the school’s mission you may be invited. It’s hard to give a straight answer about holistic review if not on admissions or have the experience of sitting in on adcom discussions about an applicant, which most of us are not privy to.
thanks so much this makes sense

are you against retaking the MCAT? Sub 500 scores usually indicate that you need to focus more on the content review
Not necessary. You can know a great deal of content, but not be sharp with applying it to a question stem. I’d advise doing plenty of practice questions to kill two birds with one stone. If you are an ESL student, it can be even more of a challenge. Just keep practicing and reviewing. Take the exam, don’t let the exam take you :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the application reviewed email, I got excited for a sec lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that more people were accepted or made Facebook accounts...... 94 people in the acceptance FB group (including M1 students and administrators)

I just received the review email (12:28 AM EST); secondary submitted 8/11, but I didn't take the CASPer till 9/10 so I'm
assuming I was complete ~9/23 when my results came out. :)

Got a review email just now too.
Did everyone who got II also get the review email?

Just got a review email too! Came to the thread to see what it means but it seems like a formality? How long did y’all wait before you heard back about an II or R?

Hey anyone know if Howard has sent out rejections (pre II) yet? Thanks!
In one of the emails they sent this is what I found:

“Official rejection e-mails will begin to be sent in March for applicants not eligible for interview and will continue through June, as we release applicants.”

- this is from the “Your Secondary has been received”

Last edited:
I got the "application review" email at 1 and assumed it was an R. Spent this morning grumpy only to just now open it and realise I was wrong af lmao :clown:
this process is so demoralising

Reactions: 4 users
I got the "application review" email at 1 and assumed it was an R. Spent this morning grumpy only to just now open it and realise I was wrong af lmao :clown:
this process is so demoralising
I got one too lol I thought it was either a rejection or II lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does receiving an email that your application was reviewed mean you qualify for an interview? Or that you’ve made the cut?

Does receiving an email that your application was reviewed mean you qualify for an interview? Or that you’ve made the cut?
its just a formality type email to tell you youve been reviewed, doesn't really say whether or not you quality for an interview specifically that just depends on how your reviewers feel about your app i guess

Not necessary. You can know a great deal of content, but not be sharp with applying it to a question stem. I’d advise doing plenty of practice questions to kill two birds with one stone. If you are an ESL student, it can be even more of a challenge. Just keep practicing and reviewing. Take the exam, don’t let the exam take you :)
As an ESL person myself, I agree with this 100%.

I have taken and passed NBME which is required of 1st and 2nd year Med students at Howard and other medical school. I’m still sub 500 Mcat. Imagine passing a board exam with honors and still sub 500. It is possible to know content and still struggle to score over 500

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
any recent interviews from howard? havent seen much activity from them other than the review complete emails

Is anyone still waiting for a status update post-interview?

Congrats!!! What were your stats? And how far out are the available interviews?
Thank you! URM with a cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.4 I completed my masters with a 3.5 gpa and 506 MCAT . The next available interview dates are 03/03, 03/24, 03/30 :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
does anyone know how many more interview invites they will most likely send out?

I have taken and passed NBME which is required of 1st and 2nd year Med students at Howard and other medical school. I’m still sub 500 Mcat. Imagine passing a board exam with honors and still sub 500. It is possible to know content and still struggle to score over 500
I feel you on that. It took a whole of me to get above 500. I swear I thought someone was against my future. Felt good to get in the 500's and now about to finish my first year of med school. Don't ever give up and DM me if you need anything.

P.S. Took NBME earlier today. :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you! URM with a cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.4 I completed my masters with a 3.5 gpa and 506 MCAT . The next available interview dates are 03/03, 03/24, 03/30 :)
congrats!! do you also mind sharing when you received the "we have reviewed your primary and secondary." email?

Reactions: 1 users
Any waitlist movement?
any acceptance from those who interview in February?

Just got waitlisted. Interviewed on the 10th of this month. Withdrawing my app though, hope that opens opportunity for somebody else. Wishing everybody in this group all the best and much success

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
does anyone know how many more interview invites they will most likely send out?
I think they plan to do one more round of interviews in April. They offer 3 interview dates with 10 slots for each date, so maybe 30 more interview invitations left to be sent out? That's my guess.

Does anyone know if we have to include our parents' information on the Health Science Application for Student Financial Assistance even if we don't want to be considered for need based scholarships?