2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you said marked complete, did your " DMU initial review of application items" and " CASPer" both said received? And where did you hear that you can get an interview without MCAT? Thank you!
Nothing about CASPer yet, but the initial review says received! And it told me in the complete email that you can get an interview without MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing about CASPer yet, but the initial review says received! And it told me in the complete email that you can get an interview without MCAT!

Thank you!!!! Mine still says not received, so I hope I get that complete email soon :)

Would you happen to know how we can upload docs to the LOR/MCAT page? Or is this more of a "AACOMAS will transfer the data" sort of thing?
If it's on AACOMAS, it'll get automatically transferred. You can also have it sent through Interfolio as well I believe, or have it directed to their email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on that "initial review", it's been over a week but all of my application documents were marked received.

Still waiting on that "initial review", it's been over a week but all of my application documents were marked received.

Same. They said it can take up to three weeks (at the top-ish of the page).

Just waiting for my I think it’s an email to set up the portal account. Very excited and checking my email and spam everyday hoping for it.

1594064375638.png

Does this mean they're looking at my app now?

Just waiting for my I think it’s an email to set up the portal account. Very excited and checking my email and spam everyday hoping for it.

On a completely unrelated note, I love your dog!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received email noting my application is now complete and sent for review!

Hi all!

I am a bit lost.

I received the email with the link for the Admissions Account.

I entered my birthday and created a password.

However, what is next? I tried to click "Fall 2021 - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" link and it takes me to the page with contact info, documents, evaluations, etc. But there is nothing under each tab?

Please help.

I’d like to be able to help but somehow my portal account got disabled and I have no way to sign in now . I emailed them hoping I don’t look like a ****.

Literally, all I see is this. Should I wait three weeks to see if anything has been updated?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 09.45.31.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 09.45.31.png
    329.3 KB · Views: 173
Literally, all I see is this. Should I wait three weeks to see if anything has been updated?
Hmm It almost looks like your AACOMAS info didn't transfer over because a lot more information should appear under the "supplemental items and documents" tab. My entire application can be seen from that tab. Don't really want to tell you what to do but I think I'd reach out to them sooner rather than later if I was in your position.

@
_Trauma_Queen_

I e-mailed DMU admissions about my portal -- they were very kind about it! I'd reach out to them because AACOMAS is supposed to transfer the information automatically.

Mine says the same thing. I guess so? And then maybe after the 3 weeks, give them a call making sure you don't need to do anything?
Yes, I emailed them about it yesterday and this is the response I got "if you would allow up to 3 weeks please for the DMU initial review of your application, you will then see if there are any items still required to complete your application or if it is complete and ready for a full review."

Mine doesn't even look like this?!

Literally it is blank. No information. Nothing under each tab.
Perhaps contact them? I had to contact them due to an account issue that got fixed pretty quickly.

Under the review tab you should basically have your entire aacomas application with some other local GPA stuff.

@OymmoC I just got the email to create my account on the portal today and mine says the same. Verified primary submitted 7/1 and my Casper was already done/graded

Perhaps contact them? I had to contact them due to an account issue that got fixed pretty quickly.

Under the review tab you should basically have your entire aacomas application with some other local GPA stuff.

I did!

The response email stated to allow up to three weeks for aacomas to transfer over. Basically the waiting game from now on lol

Does anyone know how long it takes for schools to receive MCAT scores once they’re submitted to AACOMAS?

FYI if you are having portal troubles reach out to their email, they were able to fix my account for me so I can finally log in and monitor the progress. They were also very friendly and didn’t make you feel like a dummy for having issues with it.

My file got forwarded to the admissions committee for review tonight

Is this good? I do not have a valid MCAT on file. I am taking it next month.
I do have a really bad score from 2016 though. Super nervous the 2016 MCAT messes me up this cycle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 09.54.36.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 09.54.36.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 159
I do have a really bad score from 2016 though. Super nervous the 2016 MCAT messes me up this cycle.

pretty sure that’s the standard until they manually upload everything they need in their system. My guess would be that you would be incomplete for review until a new MCAT is on file since one from 2016 is invalid anyways. Unless DMU is giving interviews without MCAT scores, but I would imagine even schools that are doing that are going to be giving interviews to people who do have current MCAT scores first just because it’s a known factor vs an unknown.

pretty sure that’s the standard until they manually upload everything they need in their system. My guess would be that you would be incomplete for review until a new MCAT is on file since one from 2016 is invalid anyways. Unless DMU is giving interviews without MCAT scores, but I would imagine even schools that are doing that are going to be giving interviews to people who do have current MCAT scores first just because it’s a known factor vs an unknown.
I have everything received except "initial review" like yours and my MCAT and everything is in. It just means they havent gotten to your application yet for initial review hence why it says 3 weeks under it.

I just realized in my essay instead of writing "I remember thinking.." I actually wrote "I remembering thinking..."

HOW MUCH DID I JUST MESS UP MY CHANCES or am I completely overthinking?! I am so nervous adcoms think I am an idiot.

I just realized in my essay instead of writing "I remember thinking.." I actually wrote "I remembering thinking..."

HOW MUCH DID I JUST MESS UP MY CHANCES or am I completely overthinking?! I am so nervous adcoms think I am an idiot.
That's probably an auto-reject sorry.

In all seriousness though, you're fine. Try not to dwell on it too much.

• Haha

i had two stupid typos too so I'm right there w/ ya

Idk, but I've always made a policy of NEVER looking back as essays after submitting! I'm sure I have typos in mine... but I don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question on one of the primary essays: Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the U.S. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?

I have rural primary care experience internationally through a mission trip and regular volunteering in my native country, but not in the US. Should I just speak to those and how they have shaped my interest in osteopathic medicine and rural+primary care? I'm a little worried. COVID really halted my plans significantly for shadowing a primary care DO.

I have a question on one of the primary essays: Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the U.S. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?

I have rural primary care experience internationally through a mission trip and regular volunteering in my native country, but not in the US. Should I just speak to those and how they have shaped my interest in osteopathic medicine and rural+primary care? I'm a little worried. COVID really halted my plans significantly for shadowing a primary care DO.

Same here! I was trying to shadow a DO this summer :(
I have shadowed primary care MDs and have worked with primary care doctors as a Certified Nurse Aide. Hopefully they accept that.

Does anyone have all (or any) of the LOR's marked with a check mark? None of mine are, and I think I'm past that "couple week" window they talked about.

It says my application requires attention for 1 or more items but I can't seem to find what I need to do. This is what my supplemental items page looks like.
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.26.53 PM.png

It says my application requires attention for 1 or more items but I can't seem to find what I need to do. This is what my supplemental items page looks like. View attachment 312956
that’s what mine looks like too.

i think they’re going through each individual applicant and verifying LORs, MCAT, and other requirements.
once everything is verified, the app will be sent off to admissions for review for II.

so i don’t think we can do anything but wait.