2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a link to the portal today. Does anyone know how the Local GPA is calculated on the application review or what it means?
Where did you see this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the portal link today! Just want to make sure, the only action we need to take is set up the password and make sure LORs/MCAT are uploaded to AACOMAS? It keeps telling me that "Action is Required", but then sends me to the LOR/MCAT page.

Reactions: 2 users
for those receiving the portal link, when were y'all verified?

Got the portal link today! Just want to make sure, the only action we need to take is set up the password and make sure LORs/MCAT are uploaded to AACOMAS? It keeps telling me that "Action is Required", but then sends me to the LOR/MCAT page.
I believe so!

Reactions: 1 user
Got a complete email from them! forwarded to admission committee for 90 days.
I really hate the waiting period

Verified 5/14 and still no portal link. This waiting is killing me.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a complete email from them! forwarded to admission committee for 90 days.
I really hate the waiting period
How long did it take for the application to be complete? Mine still isn’t complete and it says “action required,” but I don’t see anything that I can change...

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for the application to be complete? Mine still isn’t complete and it says “action required,” but I don’t see anything that I can change...

Mine was the same, so when you open the link it says something along the lines of “once we receive supplemental items, you will see what additional documents we need etc”
I got that too and was confused since I had everything in through AACOMAS, but I’m assuming they’re doing everything manually (LOR’s especially) so it takes a while for them to update
Portal access: 6/24
Complete: 6/26

Incomming OMS1 here, and central Iowa native. Had low stats so PM me with any Questions! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Portal link came today! Verified 6/11. I set up an account, but it still says they need more items, can’t tell if I have to do anything else or wait.

Portal link came today! Verified 6/11. I set up an account, but it still says they need more items, can’t tell if I have to do anything else or wait.
Yeah as long as everything is in aacomas just wait mine said the same thing until about 1 hour ago and now it says its ready for review. I got the portal email last week.

If my MCAT is scheduled to be in August, I guess that means I wont be considered for interview until they receive my score?

If my MCAT is scheduled to be in August, I guess that means I wont be considered for interview until they receive my score?
I heard from an admissions officer that they are offering interviews without MCAT!

I got the portal link, however, when I signed up it said there was no application in progress. Am I supposed to start a new application from the portal? From previous replies it seems like my AACOMAS information should show up right when signing into the portal.

I got the portal link, however, when I signed up it said there was no application in progress. Am I supposed to start a new application from the portal? From previous replies it seems like my AACOMAS information should show up right when signing into the portal.
Yes I think you have to create a new application from portal? It did not take that long, I think you just had to fill out some personal info because AACOMAS info transfers to it.

Got my portal link today! My local cGPA is like .04 higher, but my local sGPA is 0.2 LOWER and I am shook.

To answer peoples questions, they will in fact review apps without scores. I tested 6/20.

Yes I think you have to create a new application from portal? It did not take that long, I think you just had to fill out some personal info because AACOMAS info transfers to it.
Thanks, so I did that and it shows "Fall 2021 - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" application in progress, but it's asking me to provide essays about why I'm seeking non-degree coursework at DMU which doesn't seem right...?

Just got the portal email today, so they are clearly still rolling them out. Don't be too worried if you haven't gotten one yet.

- From a current DMU student - 1st and 2nd year are pretty good at DMU, though I wasn't in the class that is changing over to the block scheduling. Currently sitting as a starting 3rd year and 3rd and 4th year rotations are terrible. Clinical Affairs is extremely unhelpful and incompetent with communication. My advice is to find a school that offers more stable 3rd year rotations than a lottery system to throw you wherever the wind takes you. Currently my rotation schedule has 5 different sites 1 hr + away from Des Moines (new rotation each month) and the school is not offering any financial or housing assistance. Go somewhere else if you can !!

This person chose a non year long site, which if I'm not mistaken, is only like 40% of the rotations. Also, there are benefits to this set up. You get to do a lot more procedures in those rural settings. Don't talk smak until you've experienced it. Also, iowa is super cheap. You shouldn't have issues paying for housing or finding it in this instance. The communities you're in will help you a ton.
- From a current DMU student - 1st and 2nd year are pretty good at DMU, though I wasn't in the class that is changing over to the block scheduling. Currently sitting as a starting 3rd year and 3rd and 4th year rotations are terrible. Clinical Affairs is extremely unhelpful and incompetent with communication. My advice is to find a school that offers more stable 3rd year rotations than a lottery system to throw you wherever the wind takes you. Currently my rotation schedule has 5 different sites 1 hr + away from Des Moines (new rotation each month) and the school is not offering any financial or housing assistance. Go somewhere else if you can !!

This person chose a non year long site, which if I'm not mistaken, is only like 40% of the rotations. Also, there are benefits to this set up. You get to do a lot more procedures in those rural settings. Don't talk smak until you've experienced it. Also, iowa is super cheap. You shouldn't have issues paying for housing or finding it in this instance. The communities you're in will help you a ton.

Unfortunately, I did not choose the non-year long - I was placed in it by the lottery system. The Central Iowa Cohort is growing to be a larger portion of the class because DMU keeps accepting more students each year despite no more availability for Des Moines rotations. Over 70 of our students got placed into this cohort. Iowa may be super cheap comparatively, true - but when you are paying 2 rents for 3, 4, or 5 months - that's not cheap for anyone! Plus gas for commuting to sites around 1 hour away. Rural sites do allow you to get diverse experience, also true. I can also attest that this is more than just my personal experience as multiple 3rd years are in a similar boat! Just trying to be transparent! If I knew this was possible I would have chosen a different school!

Just to clarify, DMU for the osteopathic program is considering applications for interviews without the MCAT? My MCAT got cancelled in May and am taking it in August? Is that too late?

• Hmm
Just to clarify, DMU for the osteopathic program is considering applications for interviews without the MCAT? My MCAT got cancelled in May and am taking it in August? Is that too late?
Yes they’re one that will be. And no you’re totally fine for this cycle.

just to be clear, we're not supposed to do anything in the portal right? we just wait for admissions to manually bring in the supplemental items?

The application portal says, "this application requires your attention in one or more matters," but the only thing listed when I click on the action link is the following. Do I need to do something here or is it just saying they haven't reviewed my application yet?
Supplemental Items
ITEMSUBMISSION STATUSATTACHMENTS
DMU Initial Review of Application ItemsNot Received
DMU will be verifying receipt of all requirements. Please allow up to three weeks for a review. When the initial review is marked as received, this list will reflect any additional requirements.

Wait so are there secondary essays at this school? If there is, could someone please post it

How did you all answer the essay prompt. Did you write in full format. I mentioned seeing OMM and helping to assist with direction (I obviously didn't perform any of the techniques). I mentioned having OMM performed on me and going to open houses at several schools.

What is DMU doing with their first and second year curriculum now-a-days?

And every DO school has crappy 3rd and 4th year rotations. Sorry that you are an adult now and may have do some of the leg work on your own. It was the same when I was a 3rd and 4th year and the ability to do things on my own was a strength. so to each his own.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you all answer the essay prompt. Did you write in full format. I mentioned seeing OMM and helping to assist with direction (I obviously didn't perform any of the techniques). I mentioned having OMM performed on me and going to open houses at several schools.
I formatted it in chronological order, because I think that's the best way to tell my story and recount experiences with osteopathic medicine! But it's really up to you - if you think it flows well and shows why you want to be a DO, then admissions should be able to see that passion!

And every DO school has crappy 3rd and 4th year rotations. Sorry that you are an adult now and may have do some of the leg work on your own. It was the same when I was a 3rd and 4th year and the ability to do things on my own was a strength. so to each his own.
I second this. DO schools are what they are for their crap clinical years setup but you can make the best of whatever. Being proactive and doing things on my own (not having my hand held by DMU) got me the rotations, clinical experiences, and residency program I wanted. If you want to be babied for all four years, don’t pick a DO school.

What is DMU doing with their first and second year curriculum now-a-days?

Block schedules for 1st and 2nd year. Exam every other week, big final after 8 weeks. Week for remediation or break. Repeat.

Would you happen to know how we can upload docs to the LOR/MCAT page? Or is this more of a "AACOMAS will transfer the data" sort of thing?

Is casper necessary for 2020-2021 cycle? I saw it on last years thread however I don't see it as a requirement anywhere on the portal.

Application marked complete as of about an hour ago! Review period is 90 days, and you can get an interview without MCAT

Application marked complete as of about an hour ago! Review period is 90 days, and you can get an interview without MCAT
When you said marked complete, did your " DMU initial review of application items" and " CASPer" both said received? And where did you hear that you can get an interview without MCAT? Thank you!