2020-2021 Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL, interviewed October

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point is anyone who didn't apply bassett still waiting to hear?

Reactions: 1 user
have all decisions gone out? I still haven't heard back

Does anyone know how things look for us on the WL moving forward? The website says they start consdiering the WL in May but the message in the portal made it seem like it was more immediate?

How do we accept being on the WL? Or are we just automatically on it? Wording of the letter is weird

Post II R also! Congratulations to everyone with the A! Manifesting A's for everyone who hasn't heard yet! :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted! Does anyone have any stats regarding waitlist movement?

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted! Does anyone have any stats regarding waitlist movement?
I’ve heard movement has decreased in the last couple of years since they began their debt-free policy, which makes sense.

A at 10:50am from an interview way back in October! super excited aaaah, grateful to be in a place where I have to make tough decisions between great schools. Much love to everyone in the thread, if I go elsewhere I hope one of you deserving lads get it!

• Care
Waitlisted for Bassett and the regular track. Seems like there are a lot of waitlisters on here, so I don't expect many of us to actually get an A.

Does anyone know if they call/give out any merit scholarships? or when we should expect to hear back from FInAid?

Reactions: 2 users
Kind of super random but one of my interviewers called me just now to congratulate me 🥺🥺 they knew I already knew because of the email but still it was so nice someone pinch me 😭😭

• Love
  • Care
Do they match fin aid with other schools? When do these scholarships go out?
Financial aid package came in the first week of April last year. Unsure of matching (perhaps they do it under the table - can’t hurt to bring it up) but personally got much more scholarship from Columbia than any other school so wasn’t an issue for me. Financial aid at VP&S is stellar.

Have you all received the financial aid email yet with the Net ID?

kind of late but was accepted here yesterday!! love this school

One of my faculty interviewers just called to congratulate me. Very warm and encouraging -- good insight into institutional culture! :)

not that it matters- but is VP&S considered a "T5" school?
Rankings are not the end all be all. But to answer, no. The other schools that are currently ranked number 6 with Columbia (UCSF, WashU, UCLA) have all cracked the Top 5 at one point in time, but Columbia has only peaked at #6. There's a thread with historical usnews rankings that confirms this. It isn't even the "best" school in new york now with NYU at #4. Sorry

Rankings are not the end all be all. But to answer, no. The other schools that are currently ranked number 6 with Columbia (UCSF, WashU, UCLA) have all cracked the Top 5 at one point in time, but Columbia has only peaked at #6. There's a thread with historical usnews rankings that confirms this. It isn't even the "best" school in new york now with NYU at #4. Sorry
When did UCLA crack the top 5? UCSF and WashU have been in the top 5 for most of their existence on the list since it started, but when did UCLA crack it?

Edit: Also, just found a link going back to 2000. Columbia cracked the top 5 in 2001. Yale cracked it a couple of times too. No sign of UCLA, though.

Financial aid package came in the first week of April last year. Unsure of matching (perhaps they do it under the table - can’t hurt to bring it up) but personally got much more scholarship from Columbia than any other school so wasn’t an issue for me. Financial aid at VP&S is stellar.
Are financial aid packages for the 4 years, or do student need to re-apply each year?

Are financial aid packages for the 4 years, or do student need to re-apply each year?
Reapply each year.

They never consider value of primary family home or family retirement funds, so it ends up being pretty consistent unless a big change happens in you/your family's finances. Also I believe family income <$125k you qualify for full need-based aid. Personally my financial situation is only getting "worse" each year so I anticipate getting more need-based aid as I take out more loans to cover what I don't get in scholarship.

Have any accepted students received the NetPartner login info for financial aid?

nvm got it

Last edited:
Nope. Anyone know if they use Certiphi for BGC/drug screening or another company?

When did UCLA crack the top 5? UCSF and WashU have been in the top 5 for most of their existence on the list since it started, but when did UCLA crack it?

Edit: Also, just found a link going back to 2000. Columbia cracked the top 5 in 2001. Yale cracked it a couple of times too. No sign of UCLA, though.

Do keep in mind that the only people who care abotu USN&WR are sterry eyed pre-meds and medical school Deans.

Ask any five people what are the top schools 5 and you'll get six different answers. Congrats on the accept!

• Love
Do keep in mind that the only people who care abotu USN&WR are sterry eyed pre-meds and medical school Deans.

Ask any five people what are the top schools 5 and you'll get six different answers. Congrats on the accept!
This is very true, and thank you!

• Care
Been looking into the BGC and drug screening policies for different schools and I’ve found nothing for Columbia.

Do they just not drug screen? Kind of hard to believe from an Ivy.

If a current student could comment it’d be greatly appreciated!

Been looking into the BGC and drug screening policies for different schools and I’ve found nothing for Columbia.

Do they just not drug screen? Kind of hard to believe from an Ivy.

If a current student could comment it’d be greatly appreciated!
No drug screen lol. Only before clinical year

Have any accepted students still NOT received the NetPartner login info for financial aid? I still never got one....

Have any accepted students still NOT received the NetPartner login info for financial aid? I still never got one....
Oh I'm sorry :( I received the email on Sunday 3/7. Maybe check your spam? Also headsup the password they provided in the email didn't work for me so I just did the "forgot your password" thing to create a new one.

Oh I'm sorry :( I received the email on Sunday 3/7. Maybe check your spam? Also headsup the password they provided in the email didn't work for me so I just did the "forgot your password" thing to create a new one.

Oh, interesting. I thought that only happened to me because I’m a current Columbia student and already had one (though I’d forgotten it...).

Oh, interesting. I thought that only happened to me because I’m a current Columbia student and already had one (though I’d forgotten it...).
yeah weird lol I'm not a Columbia student or alum though so idk..but for anyone who hasn't received it I'd email the financial aid office