2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email as well. Trust, but verify...so I guess we'll find out what it's about on Thursday. Did anyone notice that the zoom meeting is set to occur at 11pm?
Got another email clarifying the time. We are being watched. 🕵️‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Interesting stuff I came across. The FB group CWRU School of Medicine Class of 2022 has 594 members; this appears accurate given that the excel from 2018 shows 567 acceptances - the discrepancy is likely administrators or previous students. The FB group for 2025 has 368 members. This could suggest either: (1) that there are a lot of spots to fill as we wind down the process; (2) or there is a great number of students who have been accepted and have not joined the group yet (perhaps they're waiting to be more sure about attending before joining). All of this to say that perhaps interviewing late does not put you at an extreme disadvantage. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I probably made an error somewhere in this.
I'd say maybe a third to half are already attending Case. They put in a ton of current students so you can reach out and ask questions

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s possible they may not have had a chance to upload your document. But you could upload it too.

Alt list to receive an interview?
Alt list post-interview

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alt list just now interviewed 2/8, not surprised at all given the zoom thing. Wondering if this school is especially receptive to LoIs

Alt list just now interviewed 2/8, not surprised at all given the zoom thing. Wondering if this school is especially receptive to LoIs
I sent one following my interview (fell head over heals for Case) and was just placed on the alt list. I wouldn't let their estimated receptiveness factor in too much; if you like them I'd say let them know. That was my approach, at least.

Reactions: 1 user
So are most people on the alt list? I assume this was accompanied by the "very interested" email.

So are most people on the alt list? I assume this was accompanied by the "very interested" email.
Not sure about post interview rejections, but I believe the accepted candidates get an email asking them to join a zoom session

Anyone receive any financial aid/scholarships yet?

Anyone receive any financial aid/scholarships yet?
Our plan is to begin sending out financial aid packages next week. Unfortunately, we've had to wait to get info from other departments (fees, health insurance costs, etc.). Then all of that has to be entered by our university's central financial aid office and tested on the platform to make sure everything will calculate correctly before we can start sending packages out. It's a pretty involved process so we need to make sure everything checks out because we only want to package everyone once! This is a high priority and we'll start getting them out ASAP.

Reactions: 6 users
Our plan is to begin sending out financial aid packages next week. Unfortunately, we've had to wait to get info from other departments (fees, health insurance costs, etc.). Then all of that has to be entered by our university's central financial aid office and tested on the platform to make sure everything will calculate correctly before we can start sending packages out. It's a pretty involved process so we need to make sure everything checks out because we only want to package everyone once! This is a high priority and we'll start getting them out ASAP.
Thanks for the reply Christian!

@CWRU.Sman I have two weekends in April (3rd and 11th) marked as second look days. Can you confirm which is the actual one? Thanks!

Do students who are currently on the Alt List need to complete the financial aid app by the 3/1 deadline? or do only accepted students have access to the portal to submit the institutional FA app?

Do students who are currently on the Alt List need to complete the financial aid app by the 3/1 deadline? or do only accepted students have access to the portal to submit the institutional FA app?
No, there isn't anything with regards to FA that you need to do right now. Should you be accepted, we will give you time to complete the FA process and receive your package prior to notifying us whether you'd like to accept the offer or not.

Reactions: 7 users
No, there isn't anything with regards to FA that you need to do right now. Should you be accepted, we will give you time to complete the FA process and receive your package prior to notifying us whether you'd like to accept the offer or not.
Thank you so much Mr. Essman!! Really appreciate the clarity and transparency.

Anyone know when we will hear back from the MSTP? In a previous email, they stated that decisions will be made in late February.

when we hear back about fin aid will we get an email or will it just be uploaded in the fin aid portal? i saw there were new documents i need to complete in the portal but I'm not sure if that should be started later since i don't think i have the info to do so.... haha excuse my neuroticism :)

when we hear back about fin aid will we get an email or will it just be uploaded in the fin aid portal? i saw there were new documents i need to complete in the portal but I'm not sure if that should be started later since i don't think i have the info to do so.... haha excuse my neuroticism :)
I actually just found my award letter in my spam folder and it's on the portal as well. So you'll get an email.

does anyone remember what the maximum amount of aid given possible is? I thought I remember them saying 50%, but I could be making that up

did anyone get any kind of need based or merit based grants? I think I only got loan offers

did anyone get any kind of need based or merit based grants? I think I only got loan offers
I got a need-based scholarship. They're not giving out merit aid this year because of the Covid-19 economic situation.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I got a need-based scholarship. They're not giving out merit aid this year because of the Covid-19 economic situation.
I also got need based but it was much much lower than I was hoping for... Is negotiating with financial aid even a thing? I just remember them really talking up their loans directly from Case where you don’t have interest during training and I was kind of hopeful I’d get one but didn’t.

I also got need based but it was much much lower than I was hoping for... Is negotiating with financial aid even a thing? I just remember them really talking up their loans directly from Case where you don’t have interest during training and I was kind of hopeful I’d get one but didn’t.
I’m not sure if they negotiate here but it couldn’t hurt to reach out. I think in the past the max aid (merit and need) they gave out per student was 40k.

I just got into my state school today, which is cheaper than Case. But I really like Case and would love to go here, so I feel really conflicted.

I'm considering sending a LOI to Case, but I'm now conflicted about it. Case has been my dream for a long time, and I figure the only way I could get off the waitlist is to really hard-commit and send a definitive LOI. I have legacy status as well, and an immediate family member is a current resident at UH as well.

Right now, I'm guessing I wouldn't get any need-based aid. I'm married with two kids, my wife is a stay-at-home mom, and I'm doing gap year employment. However, my parents are top quintile earners combined, so I expect the expected parental contribution to still be high. If there is anyone accepted in a similar situation, please DM me if you had any need-based aid.

My other acceptance is at my state school, which is the University of Washington. This is definitely a great school, which is why I'm conflicted about sending a LOI. If cost was irrelevant, I would go to Case in a heartbeat. Realistically, I expect there to be a $100k or more difference in attendance between the two schools. Let's be real, I probably wouldn't get any need-based aid anyway.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just take my acceptance and run with it? Is 100k in loans enough to justify the difference? Should I send a non-LOI letter explaining my deep and sincere interest and that I would attend with relatively close costs to my current acceptance, or does that come off as arrogant? I've really been agonizing over this lately, and any advice would be appreciated.

FWIW my specialty of interest is dermatology. Although this can definitely change, I want to enter med school optimizing my chances at a successful match in derm.
There’s a cut-off age on when parental income is considered but I can’t remember the exact number. It wouldn’t hurt to contact the financial aid office.

I'm considering sending a LOI to Case, but I'm now conflicted about it. Case has been my dream for a long time, and I figure the only way I could get off the waitlist is to really hard-commit and send a definitive LOI. I have legacy status as well, and an immediate family member is a current resident at UH as well.

Right now, I'm guessing I wouldn't get any need-based aid. I'm married with two kids, my wife is a stay-at-home mom, and I'm doing gap year employment. However, my parents are top quintile earners combined, so I expect the expected parental contribution to still be high. If there is anyone accepted in a similar situation, please DM me if you had any need-based aid.

My other acceptance is at my state school, which is the University of Washington. This is definitely a great school, which is why I'm conflicted about sending a LOI. If cost was irrelevant, I would go to Case in a heartbeat. Realistically, I expect there to be a $100k or more difference in attendance between the two schools. Let's be real, I probably wouldn't get any need-based aid anyway.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just take my acceptance and run with it? Is 100k in loans enough to justify the difference? Should I send a non-LOI letter explaining my deep and sincere interest and that I would attend with relatively close costs to my current acceptance, or does that come off as arrogant? I've really been agonizing over this lately, and any advice would be appreciated.

FWIW my specialty of interest is dermatology. Although this can definitely change, I want to enter med school optimizing my chances at a successful match in derm.
I'd say all that to them. Explain it and say if financial aid is right you would definitively choose Case. Use the leverage of UWash acceptance and cost

I'd say all that to them. Explain it and say if financial aid is right you would definitively choose Case. Use the leverage of UWash acceptance

From my understanding UW is pretty good for derm! And the tuition difference is pretty insane. Although having a family in Cleveland would be much cheaper than Seattle im sure. I just work with a ton of derms who went to state schools so definitely possible, especially from such a top rated state institution. But if you’re set on Case I definitely think it can’t hurt to send an LOI explaining everything you put in the post

There’s a cut-off age on when parental income is considered but I can’t remember the exact number. It wouldn’t hurt to contact the financial aid office.
Can confirm from speaking with the FA office: age cutoff for considering parental income is 30 yrs old by the time of matriculation. Hope this helps!

Can confirm from speaking with the FA office: age cutoff for considering parental income is 30 yrs old by the time of matriculation. Hope this helps!
About this, does anyone have any idea how much of an impact this has on financial aid? They mentioned on interview day that they also know that if we have an income now, it will be gone when we start school, and that they account for this when they give out aid... Would this be a good indication for anyone over 30 / no spouse / no income? Still waiting on interview results but Case is at the top of my list, so hoping for the best here :)

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. I hope this means someone can get off the Alt. list.

Best of luck!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Hello. On interview day I remember hearing that the first two years were true P/F (no internal rankings, no dean's list), can anybody confirm this? Also, are the last two years honors/high pass/pass/fail? Thanks!

Hello. On interview day I remember hearing that the first two years were true P/F (no internal rankings, no dean's list), can anybody confirm this? Also, are the last two years honors/high pass/pass/fail? Thanks!
Yes this is correct. Also there is no AOA here