2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've uploaded a photo and it's sideways. I may just be being oblivious but I can't figure out how to remove it to try and get it right side up, is anyone else having this issue?
Yes, if you see the picture as sideways, we will see your picture as sideways. If you submitted your app then you'll have to contact our office so that we can give you an "Application Extension" in order for you to go back in and fix the pic. If you haven't submitted then you can just reupload a new photo. Email: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've uploaded a photo and it's sideways. I may just be being oblivious but I can't figure out how to remove it to try and get it right side up, is anyone else having this issue?
This happened to me either with Case or another school. I just simply re-uploaded the same picture file and it went from sideways to right side up.

I cropped my picture to make it a little smaller, reuploaded it, and it went from sideways to normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will CWRU have medical students as part of the interviews this year?

How are people with multiple research projects/manuscripts writing the research question? I guess good problem to have but the singular tense of the question makes the springtime of youth a little uneasy.

additionally, is it still beneficial to submit early if they aren't reviewing until august anyways?

Reactions: 1 users
For the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Program question "How will you contribute to the diversity and inclusion mission of our medical school?" - there is no character limit, right?
Is this is a new question?? I don't see it on the previous year's secondary??
Can someone post the secondary questions, please!

• Hmm
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but can we apply to both the MD and CCLCM programs?

What do y'all think is an appropriate character limit for the research essay? From what I see on the app there is no designated limit.

What do y'all think is an appropriate character limit for the research essay? From what I see on the app there is no designated limit.
oh i was just going to do 3500 since that's what it was last year

Are people only doing the optional research question if they have completed a project? Or can we discuss the research we're currently doing and any projects we're currently working on that are not complete, if we haven't completed any

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people only doing the optional research question if they have completed a project? Or can we discuss the research we're currently doing and any projects we're currently working on that are not complete, if we haven't completed any

I'm writing about an ongoing project. I think it would be unfeasible to only ask for completed projects from pre-medical students.

Do you all think 650 words is too much for this essay? I feel that my research means nothing without adequate background information, and in order to also reflect on why I chose this position and the lessons I've gained from it, I am struggling to keep it shorter than that.

I'm writing about an ongoing project. I think it would be unfeasible to only ask for completed projects from pre-medical students.

Do you all think 650 words is too much for this essay? I feel that my research means nothing without adequate background information, and in order to also reflect on why I chose this position and the lessons I've gained from it, I am struggling to keep it shorter than that.
Thanks for your response.

and I think anything is fair game as long as it's under 3500 char.

@CWRU.Sman can you please clarify, is there a maximum character limit on the required research essay?

Thank you!!

Since the website says, "if you are applying to both the University Program and the College Program, the research response will default to the College Program required response" and the UP research essay is 3500 characters, it should be the same, right? Does this mean we only have to answer the research question once and it'll send to both colleges?

Because both UP and CCLCM have the Additional Information Response, are these responses only shared with the respective colleges or can both adcoms see these responses? I have similar things I want to say in both but I don't want to be repetitive if both adcoms can see the essays. Sorry if this was already answered, I couldn't see a clear response skimming through the posts! Thanks!

Since the website says, "if you are applying to both the University Program and the College Program, the research response will default to the College Program required response" and the UP research essay is 3500 characters, it should be the same, right? Does this mean we only have to answer the research question once and it'll send to both colleges?
Mine for CCLCM was over 3500 and was accepted

Because both UP and CCLCM have the Additional Information Response, are these responses only shared with the respective colleges or can both adcoms see these responses? I have similar things I want to say in both but I don't want to be repetitive if both adcoms can see the essays. Sorry if this was already answered, I couldn't see a clear response skimming through the posts! Thanks!
Both programs will see your response to this essay.

It can absolutely be an ongoing project. Just make it clear in your response that this is an ongoing project and perhaps give some insight into what you're finding since you're results of the research project aren't final yet. We don't expect pre-meds to have fully completed projects, especially if you're working in a lab that has a longitudinal project. We can't and won't hold that against you.

Mine for CCLCM was over 3500 and was accepted
Our secondary platform won't put a hard stop on the character limit. However, we do ask that you stay within the parameters. Although a few extra characters here and there isn't a tragedy. That said, applicants often wonder why it can take a long time to hear back from us. The truth is, we have A LOT of reading to do and it takes time to read through an application when you factor in the essays, experiences, and letters of recommendation. If applicants are writing short novels in their essay responses, it can really slow the down the review of applications.

Our secondary platform won't put a hard stop on the character limit. However, we do ask that you stay within the parameters. Although a few extra characters here and there isn't a tragedy. That said, applicants often wonder why it can take a long time to hear back from us. The truth is, we have A LOT of reading to do and it takes time to read through an application when you factor in the essays, experiences, and letters of recommendation. If applicants are writing short novels in their essay responses, it can really slow the down the review of applications.

If we submitted when there was no character limit for the research essay, will we be penalized for being over? Will the AdCom member reading our essays know that we weren't aware of a character limit for this question? Mine was closer to 4200 characters for the Research Essay.

If we submitted when there was no character limit for the research essay, will we be penalized for being over? Will the AdCom member reading our essays know that we weren't aware of a character limit for this question? Mine was closer to 4200 characters for the Research Essay.
No, you're fine.

I've asked our CCLCM colleagues to update this and will pass it along when I hear back.
The character limit for this essay is 3,500. It will be updated on the secondary platform in the next couple of days. Again, don't worry if you've already submitted and your response may have been slightly over 3,500 characters.

I've asked our CCLCM colleagues to update this and will pass it along when I hear back.
The character limit for this essay is 3,500. It will be updated on the secondary platform in the next couple of days. Again, don't worry if you've already submitted and your response may have been slightly over 3,500 characters.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have already submitted with a slightly higher character count, but I appreciate you taking the time to address our concerns.

Is there any overlap in the application review process between the university program and CCLCM? Would applying to both programs hurt one's chances in one or the other in any way?

Last edited:
@CWRU.Sman was wondering what you think students with multiple completed projects should do about the research question

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Are we able to email admissions and cut down on the essay if we submitted the CCLCM version before the cap was announced? Mine is way over 3500 and am worried about being substantially penalized for it.

Is there any overlap in the application review process between the university program and CCLCM? Would applying to both programs hurt one's chances in one or the other in any way?
No. Each program will evaluate your application separately! The decision by one program does not influence the decision by the other program.

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?
Our secondary has an additional optional essay for "anything not already mentioned or captured in your application." This would be an appropriate place to put something like this.

@CWRU.Sman was wondering what you think students with multiple completed projects should do about the research question
I have to assume that you indicated these multiple projects in the Experiences section so we'll get to read a little bit about them there. If you are applying to CCLCM, then I would recommend the project that you did the longest and/or had can share the most results. If applying to the University Program only, then choose your favorite project, the one that was most challenging or you learned the most from or did the longest. I hope this helps.

Are we able to email admissions and cut down on the essay if we submitted the CCLCM version before the cap was announced? Mine is way over 3500 and am worried about being substantially penalized for it.
I'll have to look into this. We (admissions) cannot edit directly the essay responses. Again, you're not going to be penalized for this. On our end we don't see a character count for the essay responses when screening.

Just to clarify, CCLCM will see the Additional Information response even though the prompt says that it will be considered by the University Program only? I don't have an Additional Information prompt for CCLCM.

For the University program, I’m wondering if we should discuss each of our publications in the research prompt.

Will it be a red flag if we only discuss one?

For the University program, I’m wondering if we should discuss each of our publications in the research prompt.

That depends. It's a very fine line. Given that you only have a limited amount of characters, albeit 3500 is a lot, you can discuss multiple pubs. Just be careful of not diluting your overall message and not favoring quantity over quality.

I'll have to look into this. We (admissions) cannot edit directly the essay responses. Again, you're not going to be penalized for this. On our end we don't see a character count for the essay responses when screening.
Ok! Thank you for your help!

I'd say that it is up to you. I'm going to assume that you also listed them in the experiences section, right? If so, we'll also be reading about them there too. It may not be necessary to reiterate them but, again, up to you.

I'd say that it is up to you. I'm going to assume that you also listed them in the experiences section, right? If so, we'll also be reading about them there too. It may not be necessary to reiterate them but, again, up to you.

Thank you for the reply. I was only able to expand upon one publication due to space-limits in my primary. I will try to decide what is best to give the admissions committee the broadest scope of my research.

@CWRU.Sman I saw above that you said people writing short novels in their essay responses can slow down the review process. I'd been thinking of using the additional information prompt to discuss my fit for the school, but I don't want to frustrate the people reading my application since they'll be looking at a couple 3,500 character essays about me already! Do you think it's better to leave that section blank or to take advantage of that extra opportunity to show my interest?

@CWRU.Sman I saw above that you said people writing short novels in their essay responses can slow down the review process. I'd been thinking of using the additional information prompt to discuss my fit for the school, but I don't want to frustrate the people reading my application since they'll be looking at a couple 3,500 character essays about me already! Do you think it's better to leave that section blank or to take advantage of that extra opportunity to show my interest?
If it makes your decision any easier, I'm leaving it blank. They have enough essays to read. #adcomsarepeopletoo

Is there a gap year prompt? I haven’t gotten my secondary yet.
Yeah this is the prompt:

If you are taking time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation, please tell us in no more than four sentences what you are doing during this gap, and why.

I was thinking of using my adversity essay because it shows an additional aspect of me