2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m in the same position as you, I could’ve sworn they told us we would’ve heard by last Friday. How far back you think they are?
Considering 10/02 interviewees heard back on 10/15, they can’t be very far behind. I anticipate that we will hear back very soon. I do wish BCOM would send us an update email about the delay but I understand how busy they are.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I spoke the decision into existence, because I just got the acceptance email!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted, BCOM is forcing us to pay for a seat deposit on Nov 30, 2020. This is a big red flag for me. It seems like a good program but I’m not sure if I should put a seat deposit that early. I’ve been accepted into two other schools and the November 30 deadline seems like a huge red flag for me. To anyone who feels very adamant about going to BCOM, can you explain why you want to attend? Any responses are greatly appreciated. If you feel more comfortable direct messaging me feel free

I was accepted, BCOM is forcing us to pay for a seat deposit on Nov 30, 2020. This is a big red flag for me. It seems like a good program but I’m not sure if I should put a seat deposit that early. I’ve been accepted into two other schools and the November 30 deadline seems like a huge red flag for me. To anyone who feels very adamant about going to BCOM, can you explain why you want to attend? Any responses are greatly appreciated. If you feel more comfortable direct messaging me feel free
Woah! That's an issue for sure. They need to abide by the traffic rules set out in the AACOM guidelines. How unfair and disrespectful to other schools! I haven't interviewed there, but I can only imagine paying that if I hadn't been accepted anywhere else, or I literally lived next door to them.

I thought per AACOMAS trafficking guidelines they had to give you until December 14th. That’s wild. Also, isn’t their deposit $2000 or something like that?

Reactions: 1 users
I heard TUNCOM also requires a seat deposit before aacomas guidelines so I’m not sure if that means it is actually a “red flag” but it still sucks

I heard TUNCOM also requires a seat deposit before aacomas guidelines so I’m not sure if that means it is actually a “red flag” but it still sucks

I got accepted there and they gave me 2 weeks to put in the deposit. I think schools can set their own deposit deadlines apart from what AACOMAS says.

II today :) Any current students here who would be open to me PMing with some questions?

Members don't see this ad :)

So I was reading a thread somewhere (can't remember if it was here on SDN or if it was on Reddit) but the dates that AACOMAS have are just what they say they are--guidelines. They are, unfortunately, not hard and fast rules, which is why some schools have earlier dates than others when it comes to receiving the deposit. You have a month still before you have to put down a deposit which is a decent amount of time.

If you have any specific questions about BCOM, feel free to DM me and I can answer them the best I can! I am a current second year. Hope this helps.

I am very curious about this early seat deposit issue.

For me, if I was already admitted to multiple schools (no such luck), I would think there would be at least some sense of priority order. What kinds of things prevent you from saying, given a choice of 3 schools, I pick 1?

If either you really don't know or don't have the luxury of multiple acceptances, is there a risk in putting off the interview (scheduling a somewhat later date), to allow time for other dominoes to fall? Do they fill up spaces such that a later interview may be moot?

At seat deposit levels such as this ($2000?), and ICOM ($1500), this can be a very costly insurance policy.

Regarding the for-profit elephant in the room, I found this article very enlightening: For-Profit Medical Schools, Once Banished, Are Sneaking Back

So, to give my two cents: the deposit due dates are guidelines set by AACOMAS, but schools are free to do whatever. Newer DO schools tend to do their own thing and require deposits early (and are at a hefty price) as their way of doing yield protection. They may well accept higher-stat applicants early because they want to bring their matriculating/accepted average GPA/MCAT up (as a way to tout growing prestige), but they also know higher-stat applicants will likely get accepted elsewhere and, because the risks of a new school are certainly a factor in deciding where to matriculate, will most likely attend a different school. So they figure if you way an outrageously high deposit, and either 1) don't want to lose that money or 2) can't afford another deposit, you'll still go there even if you have other options. It sucks, but I wouldn't call it inherently a red flag because that's just what new schools, especially new DO schools, do. So it's completely up to you if you want to pay the deposit on/by 11/30 to hold your seat while you think about your other options through the spring, but don't give up on Burrell (if you like the program) because of what you think to be a red flag. Is it immoral at the very least, what they do? Yeah, but again, it's not uncommon for the newer DO schools, it's not a BCOM specific thing, so I wouldn't let this taint your opinion of the school so much as to reject their acceptance.

Just got an email from BCOM saying that my application continues to be under review. I know it doesn't mean anything but I thought I'd share.

Submitted: 6/28/2020 -> At this point it's been over 4 months. I'm probably out of the race here.

Just got an email from BCOM saying that my application continues to be under review. I know it doesn't mean anything but I thought I'd share.

Submitted: 6/28/2020 -> At this point it's been over 4 months. I'm probably out of the race here.

Have gotten a couple of these. Seems to be a "soft" WL, IMHO.

II just now via email. OOS (FL) with no ties to the southwest. Submitted secondary 6/28. Earliest interview date was 12/7.

Just threw my secondary hat into this race, hopefully I am not too late!

Anyone going to the Virtual Chat today?? If so....what are you wearing? Like...not a suit w blazer right?

Accepted! Interviewed 10/23. Declined my offer, hope it goes to one of you guys!

ACCEPTED! I have no idea if I will accept the offer bc they're giving us 30 days to do so and to pay the full deposit. I have a lot of thinking to do. If anyone has an insight, please feel free to share! (Other As are at RVUCOM-Utah and ACOM)

Accepted but going to decline. I also hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck.

Also accepted and going to decline. I wish you all the best of luck!

So, to give my two cents: the deposit due dates are guidelines set by AACOMAS, but schools are free to do whatever. Newer DO schools tend to do their own thing and require deposits early (and are at a hefty price) as their way of doing yield protection. They may well accept higher-stat applicants early because they want to bring their matriculating/accepted average GPA/MCAT up (as a way to tout growing prestige), but they also know higher-stat applicants will likely get accepted elsewhere and, because the risks of a new school are certainly a factor in deciding where to matriculate, will most likely attend a different school. So they figure if you way an outrageously high deposit, and either 1) don't want to lose that money or 2) can't afford another deposit, you'll still go there even if you have other options. It sucks, but I wouldn't call it inherently a red flag because that's just what new schools, especially new DO schools, do. So it's completely up to you if you want to pay the deposit on/by 11/30 to hold your seat while you think about your other options through the spring, but don't give up on Burrell (if you like the program) because of what you think to be a red flag. Is it immoral at the very least, what they do? Yeah, but again, it's not uncommon for the newer DO schools, it's not a BCOM specific thing, so I wouldn't let this taint your opinion of the school so much as to reject their acceptance.
Thank you for your wonderful paragraph. I’ve looked into BCOM and I am still confused on why I should go there over LECOM-FL or LUCOM. If you have any insight please let me know.

ACCEPTED! I have no idea if I will accept the offer bc they're giving us 30 days to do so and to pay the full deposit. I have a lot of thinking to do. If anyone has an insight, please feel free to share! (Other As are at RVUCOM-Utah and ACOM)
I am in the same terrible situation of having to make a decision too quick

Thank you for your wonderful paragraph. I’ve looked into BCOM and I am still confused on why I should go there over LECOM-FL or LUCOM. If you have any insight please let me know.

Np! I don't really know anything about LUCOM or LECOM Bradenton. I would say to look into their clinical rotation sites, talk to current students (especially third/fourth years), board scores if those are available, where their students have gone on to do residencies, how current students like the administration, and compare all of that. Once you have an idea of how "good" each of the schools are, you could decide if location is a huge factor to you, or cost, etc.

I have some thoughts on LECOM if you want to PM me, but I won't post them here since this isn't really the place for it.

I am in the same terrible situation of having to make a decision too quick
Right. I'm honestly going to go with the cheapest school lol so I will have to do some cost of attendance calculations

Right. I'm honestly going to go with the cheapest school lol so I will have to do some cost of attendance calculations
I’m going to do HPSP most likely. Cost is by far the least important factor. Regardless if it’s free or not, I’m choosing a school to be able to be the best physician I can be. I completely understand that cost is a huge factor for most individuals.

pro tip: if you decide to accept BCOM's offer at the last possible minute....make sure that the last minute is more than 72 hours before the deadline

My deadline to accept is coming up and I just realized that it takes them 72 hours after me accepting the offer for them to send the portal info so I can pay my deposit........

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Interview day did a great job of convincing me not to go here

Reactions: 2 users