2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many DO schools don't tend to have IS biases given they are private schools. They have no obligation to take from within, but they do want to keep you in state once it's all over. @chemistry hahgdgjjhdf

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My friend is current first year here and she received a 503 on her first mcat with a 499 on her second attempt!
Apparently they were very understanding about it because she was going through a hard time.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good news! Fall Interview dates coming in soon on either Mondays or Fridays 3-5 times a month from Sep to Dec! Good luck!

Very first available interview is Monday, September 21st
Last FALL interview is Friday, Dec 18th.

Spring interview dates yet to be announced! I go to school at BCOM, Just FYI

Reactions: 12 users
Good news! Fall Interview dates coming in soon on either Mondays or Fridays 3-5 times a month from Sep to Dec! Good luck!

Very first available interview is Monday, September 21st
Last FALL interview is Friday, Dec 18th.

Spring interview dates yet to be announced! I go to school at BCOM, Just FYI

Awesome news! So II's could start this week?

Can any current student(s) speak to research opportunities (and their experiences with research) at this school? I am having difficulty finding streamlined information on their website.

Can any current student(s) speak to research opportunities (and their experiences with research) at this school? I am having difficulty finding streamlined information on their website.

I personally haven't done any research yet, BUT there is a summer research program that many of my classmates participated in this past summer (between years 1 and 2). I know a few of them are getting publications out of it too (I'm sure all of them are but I didn't participate in the summer program so I don't know for sure). Hope this helps.

I personally haven't done any research yet, BUT there is a summer research program that many of my classmates participated in this past summer (between years 1 and 2). I know a few of them are getting publications out of it too (I'm sure all of them are but I didn't participate in the summer program so I don't know for sure). Hope this helps.
This is great, thank you so much

no interview invites yet anyone?
i check my email like 100 times a day lmao

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who goes to BCOM and she told me earlier this week that they were told we would hear soon! I just don’t know how soon they will be haha

I have a friend who goes to BCOM and she told me earlier this week that they were told we would hear soon! I just don’t know how soon they will be haha
awesome to know!! Thank you! we just have to remain calm and patient to the best of our abilities right now hahhahah and try not to check our email 1000 times a day :')

I participated in the summer research experience this past summer. Let me summarize: With COVID everything was different this year compared to previous summer research years; PIs did ALL of the lab work since we weren't allowed into the buildings at the time, students analyzed the data (with guidance from the PIs) and students presented the findings of the research. Presentations this year were virtual (recorded by each team then played live to the attendees). The research goes for 6 weeks and at the last day, when presentations are given, every student-research team faces a panel for a Q&A. The best presentation from each category (i.e. biomedical, clinical etc.) wins an award (monetary + recognition). Most projects comprise of 2 students.

Applications and list of research projects are usually sent out at the end of the fall semester and a matching process is done early spring of the summer research year. Each student has the opportunity to select 3 projects and rank them (hence the matching process).

As for publication, most (if not all, not a 100% sure) of the research projects are still ongoing and will most likely lead to publication. This is something you would discuss with the PI when the applications are out. Hopefully this gives you an idea, if not, what else would you like to know?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I scheduled my interview next Monday (Sep 28). I sincerely hope to see all of you guys there.

Reactions: 1 users
II through email. OOS, scheduled for this friday. Submitted my secondary in July

Interview invite! Secondary submitted July 9th!

Does BCOM send out "application complete" emails. After I submitted my secondary, I just got the following email: "Your Burrell College Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted! We look forward to learning more about you as we thoroughly evaluate your full application in the coming weeks"

Does BCOM send out "application complete" emails. After I submitted my secondary, I just got the following email: "Your Burrell College Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted! We look forward to learning more about you as we thoroughly evaluate your full application in the coming weeks"
No they don’t. I didn’t hear anything for a few months after secondary submitted

I had a question about curriculum,
How many hours per week are spent on learning OMM and is there a huge emphasis on OMM at Burrell. Every DO schools seems to approach this differently which is why I’m asking.

I had a question about curriculum,
How many hours per week are spent on learning OMM and is there a huge emphasis on OMM at Burrell. Every DO schools seems to approach this differently which is why I’m asking.

So we have a 1 hour lecture once a week (both first and second years) and then lab on the same day. For second years, the lab is one hour (i think for the first years as of right now it is too). Pre-covid, we would have lab for an hour and a half once a week but the group sizes were much larger. With COVID, groups are smaller and there's 6 students to 1 professor in lab right now (I actually like this better since I get more time making sure I'm doing things correctly).

I'm not sure how other schools do OMM/what a huge emphasis would be. People can and have failed OMM and have had to repeat the year due to this--so yes, it is emphasized? It's definitely taken seriously and you do need to study and practice in order to succeed. There are some topics that are harder than others. We have 3 OMM exams/semester. It doesn't usually blend into our science courses though, like you won't see OMM related stuff on science exams, at least, I haven't noticed that yet. What we do learn in OMM typically follows what we're learning in science class which is nice. So if you're learning GI in the science courses, we learned OMM for the GI system around that time.

I hope this helps!

• Love
Invite today! Will withdraw as soon as I can.
thank you. someone who applied late like me appreciates seeing this kind of post. this thread is quieter than others. i wish to read more posts from people to help with my anxiety. seriously, any kind of post. just wanna know what's up. lol

thank you. someone who applied late like me appreciates seeing this kind of post. this thread is quieter than others. i wish to read more posts from people to help with my anxiety. seriously, any kind of post. just wanna know what's up. lol

For sure! You are definitely not applying late at all.

For sure! You are definitely not applying late at all.
appreciate the encouragement! i assume you have been accepted at your top choice? do you mind sharing where and your stats so i can gauge my chances of who they're sending ii's to rn? this is my top choice and i have just sent my secondary just now. not complete yet. thank you!

Did you guys get a complete email? the only email i have was that i submitted my secondary in july.

Does anyone know what the interview acceptance rate is at Burrell? I haven't been able to find it.

Did you guys get a complete email? the only email i have was that i submitted my secondary in july.

This was discussed a few posts up (from yesterday). BCOM does not send complete emails.

Does anyone know what the interview acceptance rate is at Burrell? I haven't been able to find it.

From my year, they had over 5300 applications and interviewed about 500 students and gave acceptances out to 400 students for 162 seats. I'm not sure what the stats were for the current first class, but they had just over 5700 applications.

appreciate the encouragement! i assume you have been accepted at your top choice? do you mind sharing where and your stats so i can gauge my chances of who they're sending ii's to rn? this is my top choice and i have just sent my secondary just now. not complete yet. thank you!

Yes I got my number 1/2ish. I have 13 interviews (or had) to RVU, ICOM, DMU, NYIT, Touro, LECOM, ATSU K, BCOM, WVSOM, LUCOM, AZCOM, UIW, and CUSOM. MCAT is 507, 3.77 sGPA and 3.67 cGPA!

• Wow
Just got my first II! Here are my stats: 507 MCAT (retake from 498), 3.80 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA.

Does anyone know if the interviews are open or closed file interviews? Also, is it alright if I don't take the first interview date (Sept 25) because it just seems a bit too soon? I was thinking Oct 2, just so I get more prep time.

Just got my first II! Here are my stats: 507 MCAT (retake from 498), 3.80 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA.

Does anyone know if the interviews are open or closed file interviews? Also, is it alright if I don't take the first interview date (Sept 25) because it just seems a bit too soon? I was thinking Oct 2, just so I get more prep time.
Choose a date you can be at your best, still early in the cycle. Interviewers you are assigned to would have already studied your file in and out - that being said, your interview questions may not come from your file, at least during my interview, no questions came from file.

• Love
Completed my interview here yesterday. Staff was extremely nice! No need to be nervous:)

Reactions: 11 users
For people who previously interviewed how did it go? Any tips? (My interview is October 12th)

For people who previously interviewed how did it go? Any tips? (My interview is October 12th)

It was good :) All the admissions staff are super friendly! They mention early on that they want it to be a more relaxed setting just because of the current conditions in being a virtual interview.

I’m having anxiety sitting here waiting for interviews . Why can’t somebody love me already . I can’t be the only one that feel like this lmao

It was good :) All the admissions staff are super friendly! They mention early on that they want it to be a more relaxed setting just because of the current conditions in being a virtual interview.

Thats really great to hear thank you! I'm the kind of guy who gets the jitters right before interviews (which happened at my last two) so it's good that they are making it more relaxed

Good morning all, I just wanted to hop on here and give everyone a quick reminder to keep your head up during this whole crazy process. I am a first year here at BCOM and loving the school and community. The staff has been amazing and truly invested in our understanding and success.

There are going to be times when waiting and the accompanying anxiety feel unbearable. That being said, try to take it in stride. Not receiving an early interview invitation is not indicative of a lack of interest on the schools part. There are simply a lot of candidates and each candidate deserves to have their packet evaluated fully, which takes time. I myself waited six months, and had already started my applications for the next cycle, before I received an interview invitation.

Lastly, be honest, be yourself. A stellar application and interview is not just one with the appropriate numbers and "all the right answers" . Who You Are is just as important as what you scored. As a completely non-traditional student myself I can honestly attest that your experiences, good and bad, mistakes and successes, can work in your favor. How you respond to those experiences, and how you allow those experiences to shape you or color your world (i.e. learning from those experiences) can speak volumes to your interview committee.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Good morning all, I just wanted to hop on here and give everyone a quick reminder to keep your head up during this whole crazy process. I am a first year here at BCOM and loving the school and community. The staff has been amazing and truly invested in our understanding and success.

There are going to be times when waiting and the accompanying anxiety feel unbearable. That being said, try to take it in stride. Not receiving an early interview invitation is not indicative of a lack of interest on the schools part. There are simply a lot of candidates and each candidate deserves to have their packet evaluated fully, which takes time. I myself waited six months, and had already started my applications for the next cycle, before I received an interview invitation.

Lastly, be honest, be yourself. A stellar application and interview is not just one with the appropriate numbers and "all the right answers" . Who You Are is just as important as what you scored. As a completely non-traditional student myself I can honestly attest that your experiences, good and bad, mistakes and successes, can work in your favor. How you respond to those experiences, and how you allow those experiences to shape you or color your world (i.e. learning from those experiences) can speak volumes to your interview committee.

You're a saint and I really appreciate the encouragement. This makes me like this school even more.

what’s the average stats for this school?
BCOMstats.png

II just now. OOS complete 07/22