2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my secondary! Plan to submit it either tonight or tomorrow. Still SUPER undecided about the video though.
I have a friend who goes to BCOM and she said some people who got accepted had done the video and some hadn't. So whatever you feel comfortable with!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who goes to BCOM and she said some people who got accepted had done the video and some hadn't. So whatever you feel comfortable with!

That makes me feel better. I'll think about it some more, but it's definitely nice to know it's not a soft requirement. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Got my secondary! Plan to submit it either tonight or tomorrow. Still SUPER undecided about the video though.
OMS-II student here. I never did a video. More than half my class did not do one. Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of Burrell has a strong preference towards primary-care interested applicants? I'm interested in primary care, but in writing my secondary that doesn't come through (though I also don't want to rule out specialties either). I feel lie what I have written is really strong and don't want to change it, but I'm not sure if specifying I'm interested in primary care would be beneficial for me to do?

Does anyone know of Burrell has a strong preference towards primary-care interested applicants? I'm interested in primary care, but in writing my secondary that doesn't come through (though I also don't want to rule out specialties either). I feel lie what I have written is really strong and don't want to change it, but I'm not sure if specifying I'm interested in primary care would be beneficial for me to do?
Yes Burrell has a strong preference towards primary-care, as do many other osteopathic medical schools in the country. That being said they don't make you sign a contract saying you'll do that (its a preference for them). Keep an open mind as to which specialty to go into because it may change between when you start medical school and when you go through rotations in your 3rd year. Importantly - try and tailor your answers to each medical school (i.e. their mission), worry about specialties later (when you get in).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yes Burrell has a strong preference towards primary-care, as do many other osteopathic medical schools in the country. That being said they don't make you sign a contract saying you'll do that (its a preference for them). Keep an open mind as to which specialty to go into because it may change between when you start medical school and when you go through rotations in your 3rd year. Importantly - try and tailor your answers to each medical school (i.e. their mission), worry about specialties later (when you get in).
Exactly! BTW this SDN poster I am quoting helped out people from previous cycle! I got in for Class of 2024 and used advice this person gave!

• Love
Exactly! BTW this SDN poster I am quoting helped out people from previous cycle! I got in for Class of 2024 and used advice this person gave!

That's awesome! Yeah I definitely have been tailoring secondary responses to each school. I just wasn't sure if I should've (and I already submitted it earlier) but interest in primary care because I do think it's an important aspect of my application. I ended up adding a sentence or two about it though, nothing crazy.

This made my day!!!:love: I'm so glad to hear you got in!!! You deserve it!!

• Love
Anyone receive an II yet?

Current OMS-II, We got an email not too long ago from the school saying they're not going to start interviews until September, so I don't think the II's have gone out yet. It's still super early. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary app. video was viewed by Burrell 2 days ago. Not sure if that helps us narrow down how soon they'll be sending out II's!

My secondary app. video was viewed by Burrell 2 days ago. Not sure if that helps us narrow down how soon they'll be sending out II's!

Really hoping me not doing the video impacted interview decisions in a negative way

Really hoping me not doing the video impacted interview decisions in a negative way
I read that it's truly optional, and that lots of people got in last year without doing it. I think you'll be fine, don't stress!

Hey guys,

I didn't hit the "Return to Merchant" page after paying my secondary fee and so the secondary app didn't register my fee and I can't submit. They took money out of my account but I can't submit. Did you guys run into this issue?:(

Do I have to pay $80 again?:(

Hey guys,

I didn't hit the "Return to Merchant" page after paying my secondary fee and so the secondary app didn't register my fee and I can't submit. They took money out of my account but I can't submit. Did you guys run into this issue?:(

Do I have to pay $80 again?:(

Call them! They can either push it through probably (especially if you email a screenshot of your account showing it was deducted) or give you a refund and reset it so you can resubmit.

BCOM never sent me any completion email. I completed my secondary around 7/8/20. I did not do a video, but did everything else. Any correspondence or II for yall?

I received an email I did not get a secondary and I am rejected this cycle because I did not meet requirements and I’m absolutely dumbfounded. Based off their website, I met all requirements with the exception of not having an mcat on file as I haven’t taken it yet?!

What happened to the statement aacomas released of schools taking holistic approaches and extending secondaries/II with pending mcat?!!!

I live in Florida, the most backward state and when testing centers were finally opened back, the soonest I could’ve scheduled myself for is mid August

I received an email I did not get a secondary and I am rejected this cycle because I did not meet requirements and I’m absolutely dumbfounded. Based off their website, I met all requirements with the exception of not having an mcat on file as I haven’t taken it yet?!

What happened to the statement aacomas released of schools taking holistic approaches and extending secondaries/II with pending mcat?!!!

I live in Florida, the most backward state and when testing centers were finally opened back, the soonest I could’ve scheduled myself for is mid August
I would call the Admissions Office and explain to them the situation. I had an issue with a LOR and got it resolved within 2 days or so. They were extremely friendly. I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Yeah definitely give them a call, @_Trauma_Queen_ It might be a simple oversight.
They basically told me the system rejected me pre-secondary because of no mcat. Once I get my score, I have to call adcoms and let them know.

Now I’m afraid once I get my score in September and it’s processed via aacomas and sent to BCOM, it’ll be too late in the cycle

They basically told me the system rejected me pre-secondary because of no mcat. Once I get my score, I have to call adcoms and let them know.

Now I’m afraid once I get my score in September and it’s processed via aacomas and sent to BCOM, it’ll be too late in the cycle
I still think it's worth a shot. The DO cycle is a longgg one, and interview/acceptances go on for months even into the next year. Plus, with this whole pandemic going on, who knows what the timeline is going to be like lol Make sure you pre-write any secondary prompts and have them ready so as soon as you get the application, you can send it right back. You got this!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't submit my secondary until around Thanksgiving and now I'm a second year :) If I were you, I would just have everything ready so when you get your MCAT score, there's no delay. Good luck!

Hmm that's strange. I am also from Florida and had my MCAT cancelled twice (originally May 29th and I actually took it July 18th). I received a secondary in June with no MCAT on file. I would recommend emailing them to see why exactly they rejected you, because it beats me.

Hmm that's strange. I am also from Florida and had my MCAT cancelled twice (originally May 29th and I actually took it July 18th). I received a secondary in June with no MCAT on file. I would recommend emailing them to see why exactly they rejected you, because it beats me.
I did. They said it’s because the mcat on file is expired from 2016 and the system automatically rejected that as invalid. I was told to inform them once my new score is in

I did. They said it’s because the mcat on file is expired from 2016 and the system automatically rejected that as invalid. I was told to inform them once my new score is in
Ah okay, I'm glad it was just system error! Good luck on your upcoming exam!

Hey maybe check ur secondary app as well, just to make sure its fully submitted. I realized about a month after paying the fee that I never clicked the submit button at the end of the app :lame:

First Time applicant here, Is anyone here willing to critique my secondary? :)

Did anyone submit the secondary without the video?
According to last year’s thread, the video was truly optional. Many people who got in didn’t do it. They won’t hold it against you if you don’t do it. I didn’t lol

Hey! you take that back about FL! I just moved to BCOM from FL about 2 months ago! JK- FL was really weird about testing, and my friends applying this cycle got kinda screwed over tbh. Good luck this cycle! ;)

Apparently my bio lab class doesn't count since it wasn't part of a corresponding lecture class. Guess I won't be continuing with my application here...

• Care
Apparently my bio lab class doesn't count since it wasn't part of a corresponding lecture class. Guess I won't be continuing with my application here...
well that's wild. I'm sorry to hear that!!

Did they notify you before you submitted secondary app?

Nope they sent me an email asking for the syllabus to my lab class. Then 2 weeks later told me it won't count because it is a standalone class.

Nope they sent me an email asking for the syllabus to my lab class. Then 2 weeks later told me it won't count because it is a standalone class.
I completely feel for you. I applied to a school who didn't count Microbiology as a Cell Biology course. Spent time and money for nothing. I guess this school just isn't worthy of you my dude! Keep your head up!

Anyone receive anything yet? The silence is maddening :eek:

Hey, do you know if there is an in state bias for this school?

While there are a lot of students from the SW region of the US (there's a document somewhere that shows how many students are from TX, NM, AZ for example), theres a good chunk of students (myself included) who are not from NM. I lived on the East Coast my entire life until now. So no, theres not really an in state bias per se, at least not right now. But it definitely doesn't hurt if you're from the SW US. But not being from this region should not stop you from applying. hope this helps!

While there are a lot of students from the SW region of the US (there's a document somewhere that shows how many students are from TX, NM, AZ for example), theres a good chunk of students (myself included) who are not from NM. I lived on the East Coast my entire life until now. So no, theres not really an in state bias per se, at least not right now. But it definitely doesn't hurt if you're from the SW US. But not being from this region should not stop you from applying. hope this helps!
Helps a lot! Thank you!