2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there some kind of second look for accepted students?
No. Your best option is to sign up for a preview day, I emailed my admissions counselor and she made it sound like you can also possibly see certain things post acceptance if you wanted to come back and look? Not sure about that part though. Her advice mainly was to sign up for a preview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone got their school e-mail to work? I still can't sign in

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine works fine. Been able to use it, does your password you set up just not work or what seems to be the issue?
I haven't been able to sign in yet. I tried using the temporary username/password but it says incorrect id/password. I think I'll just try e-mailing them

I haven't been able to sign in yet. I tried using the temporary username/password but it says incorrect id/password. I think I'll just try e-mailing them
Oh gotcha. Yeah, it was weird because the portal changed for me. When I initially made the email, I didn’t have a created password given yet. I had to make my own given those parameters then I ended up changing it after the fact. Not sure though, emailing them is probably your best bet.

Alternate status... Check your portals yo. Interviewed 1/30/20

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate status as well.... praying somehow spots open up for us. Was really hoping for some sort of acceptance, even if it was deferred.

I have a feeling by mid March, spots are gonna start opening up because every MD school should have made decisions pre- and post- interviews by then. I talked to someone last year in April and they were at the time waitlisted at Western, ended up getting in eventually for class of 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are there differences in alternate and wait list?

Are there differences in alternate and wait list?
I believe Western's waitlist=alternate. There is a deferred acceptance that people have gotten. If spaces opens up, deferred acceptances will be considered first, then alternates.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they only offer deferred acceptances to 1/9 and 1/16?
Not sure, but according to SDN posts, yes. Only deferred acceptances I saw were from 1/9 and 1/16 interviewees. Myself and the others that posted on here from 1/30 were all placed on the alternate list. Looks like timing really screwed us.

Not sure, but according to SDN posts, yes. Only deferred acceptances I saw were from 1/9 and 1/16 interviewees. Myself and the others that posted on here from 1/30 were all placed on the alternate list. Looks like timing really screwed us.
Also placed on alternate list. Frustrating since we were the given option to interview 1/16 or 1/30

• Sad
1/30 interviewee. Alternate list as well. I scheduled my interview a month out in hopes of a MD one but it backfired. Oh well.

Do you guys know when would be the last interview date? Also, those who have been invited to an interview, were you guys given a date or could you choose a date yourself? Thanks

Anyone know when we'll hear back about that SPARC program that starts in June? I thought it would be an application but it was more of a sign up thing... did I miss something?

Do you guys know when would be the last interview date? Also, those who have been invited to an interview, were you guys given a date or could you choose a date yourself? Thanks
An interviewer posted a page or so back in the thread the remaining interview days so look out for ICanHelpYou’s responses. When I got my II I was offered a choice but I think there’s only one or two days INterview days left so if you got one at this point you may not have a choice since from what I’ve gathered one of those days is just for the linkage students ...also taking into consideration if they’re even sending anymore IIs out since the class has been full since the beginning of January.

Anyone know when we'll hear back about that SPARC program that starts in June? I thought it would be an application but it was more of a sign up thing... did I miss something?
02/27 and 03/05 are currently the only interview dates left. If a lot of students withdraw their acceptances, there might be additional interview dates later, but it seems somewhat doubtful right now.

02/27 and 03/05 are currently the only interview dates left. If a lot of students withdraw their acceptances, there might be additional interview dates later, but it seems somewhat doubtful right now.

ICanHelpYou,

Is there any possibility of alternates being taken off the list this year? I know in previous years WesternU had taken a lot of alternates. However, it seems that this year too many people have been accepted (including those deferred) to see any type of movement from the alternate list?

Thanks for your input.

Do you have an estimate on the chances of deferred applicants being accepted this year and when they might hear back?

ICanHelpYou,

Is there any possibility of alternates being taken off the list this year? I know in previous years WesternU had taken a lot of alternates. However, it seems that this year too many people have been accepted (including those deferred) to see any type of movement from the alternate list?

Thanks for your input.
Following this... I thought they said last year almost everyone on the alternate list was offered an acceptance, are things going to be different this year?

idk what chances there are of an II now...i received the interview consideration email in december and i'm still waiting for an II ..is there anything i can do? like upload an interest letter, etc?

idk what chances there are of an II now...i received the interview consideration email in december and i'm still waiting for an II ..is there anything i can do? like upload an interest letter, etc?
I contacted office of admissions last week and they said the last interview is on February 27th, and all the slots have been filled. So no more invitation will be sent out.

I am on the alternate list. I uploaded my LOI. What else can I do to increase my chances of admission? This DO school is on the top of my list!

I contacted office of admissions last week and they said the last interview is on February 27th, and all the slots have been filled. So no more invitation will be sent out.
wow i feel gutted. but that's life, thank you so much for letting me know!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance later today, good luck everyone!! This process is a wild ride but will be worth it in the end!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm also an accepted COMP student, and I'll be taking ISAC in the summer. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have a room available in a gated community really close to campus. Let me know if you're interested!
I’ll see you at ISAC!

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm also an accepted COMP student, and I'll be taking ISAC in the summer. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have a room available in a gated community really close to campus. Let me know if you're interested!
Have you already signed up for the ISAC program?

Did you have to be invited for ISAC, or do they contact you?

Did you have to be invited for ISAC, or do they contact you?
You reach out and request to be in it, there is a slight application process which i did via email. Just be aware there are limited spots, about 30 of them or so i believe, that are given to students.

For those who interviewed on Feb 27, do you think we will hear back today?

Last edited:
Is the summer ISAC program worth it?
I feel like that’s a hard question to answer. For me it is worth it, I have already been out of school for a while, had plenty of time to travel and to enjoy life with my family and friends. So I don’t necessarily need that time to be dedicated to having a summer. For me having pervious anatomy courses, dissection classes etc and clinical experience where I had to know a lot of anatomy I think it’ll be worth it for me to have a shot at becoming a TA during the year and having one less exam to worry about through out the year. I think you need to figure out what’s worth It or not for you personally. Also FYI, the program seems to be filled as of now if you have not applied for it already.

I feel like that’s a hard question to answer. For me it is worth it, I have already been out of school for a while, had plenty of time to travel and to enjoy life with my family and friends. So I don’t necessarily need that time to be dedicated to having a summer. For me having pervious anatomy courses, dissection classes etc and clinical experience where I had to know a lot of anatomy I think it’ll be worth it for me to have a shot at becoming a TA during the year and having one less exam to worry about through out the year. I think you need to figure out what’s worth It or not for you personally. Also FYI, the program seems to be filled as of now if you have not applied for it already.

Is it just one exam that you can test out of?

Is it just one exam that you can test out of?
No it is a 6 week course where we cover the entirety of the anatomy class that you would normally take starting in the fall. I believe there are exams every two weeks so 3 exams total over the six weeks.

No it is a 6 week course where we cover the entirety of the anatomy class that you would normally take starting in the fall. I believe there are exams every two weeks so 3 exams total over the six weeks.
Did you already submit the payment? I was admitted but haven't paid yet

Did you already submit the payment? I was admitted but haven't paid yet
There is no payment, just an application process. There is no added cost to tuition you would just pay for living expenses while in Pomona for class. The application process for me was an email to the professor running the course and then some follow up questions pertinent to the ability to be successful in the course and then I was accepted into the program after being admitted to the medical school.

The 2020 and beyond entering classes will now have a pass or fail USMLE Step 1 exam. How does this impact DO students at a school like Western?

3rd year here. Nobody knows. People will speculate. Some theories are more plausible than others. But nobody really knows.

I used to be quite bullish on DO schools and westernu in general, recommending it wholeheartedly to anyone who was okay with primary care or mid tier comp specialties. But I'm considerably less confident with the change of P/F step1 and the recent corona virus exposing a lot of our clinical year weaknesses.

My concern for our clinical years is namely the lack of our own hospital and residency slots. For instance, GWU is opting to shut down aways for their students. That sucks majorly for them, but they're MDs, have a home program and have good academic rotations inhouse. If VSAS shut down, most of us at western would be in a way more trouble than them. We basically set up our own rotations 4th year, and lots do rotations through VSAS (away rotation service run by the MD side). Where we don't set up rotations through VSAS, we just pop out into the community and see who will take us.

I don't think it would get so bad that VSAS shuts down, but I can't discount it at this stage. And additionally, if our community partnerships are strained by coronavirus, we have very little alternatives or pushback. Many of our rotations are powered by the goodwill of physicians who simply enjoy teaching. We hold very little power over them as a medical school. COCA, our accrediting body, requires a ratio of 1.2x rotation slots per student. There isn't a lot of breathing room. And there's 220+ of us per year.

I don't think it will affect the class coming in right now, presuming that corona is less of an emergency 3 years from now. But it highlights how much more precarious our rotations situation is than I originally thought it was.

Informed consent is my thing, and is why i'm here. Someone smart enough to be accepted should be smart enough to know what to do with this sort of information once they're aware of it.

In either case, feel free to ask me anything about those concerns or anything else. My bio in short: I actually have been loving my experience here, and have no regrets since being accepted. Staff are great, curriculum allowed me to be above average on boards, clinical rotations have been mostly hit, and i'm optimistic about my chances of matching in my desired specialty where I want.

How much mandatory class time is there? I interviewed back in October so can’t quite remember but I wrote down 24 hours a week of IPE.

Also could anyone speak more about the curriculum changes they are making? Either they made changes last year or they’re making them this upcoming year.

Last edited:
For those who interviewed on Feb 27, do you think we will hear back today?
The school is currently trying to deal with conrona virus right now, school Is moved online and students were told to avoid campus. Staff are still required to show up but this will probs delay admission results I would believe

How much mandatory class time is there? I interviewed back in October so can’t quite remember but I wrote down 24 hours a week of IPE.

Also could anyone speak more about the curriculum changes they are making? Either they made changes last year or they’re making them this upcoming year.
first year here

8-10 hours-ish, it varies by week but there is usually 2-4 hours of OMM and CMR a week and whatever other mandatory lectures they schedule.

IPE is at most 2 hours a week and usually doesn’t run the entire two hours, it also doesn’t happen ever week.

I satisfied with the curriculum changes but I don’t speak for everyone.

first year here

8-10 hours-ish, it varies by week but there is usually 2-4 hours of OMM and CMR a week and whatever other mandatory lectures they schedule.

IPE is at most 2 hours a week and usually doesn’t run the entire two hours, it also doesn’t happen ever week.

I satisfied with the curriculum changes but I don’t speak for everyone.

Thanks for the reply! Can you speak about the curriculum changes? What is their motivation with the curriculum changes? More boards focused, etc?

Thanks for the reply! Can you speak about the curriculum changes? What is their motivation with the curriculum changes? More boards focused, etc?
I am not too knowledgable in terms of what it was like before so I can't comment on their motivations. I feel like all med schools teach towards boards, some teachers here do a better job of it than others. We do have a good number of PhDs teaching so there tends to be some "low yield" stuff we need to know but it is not horrible. A lot of students study for boards primarily and just try to pass the class, but this is also true for other medical schools also.

Is the summer ISAC program worth it?

Coming from someone who didn’t do it, no. About 20 or so people do ISAC, and then most of them TA for their fellow classmates come the school year (so it’s like a double time sink). Even if you’re into surgery, no surgery residency is going to care that you did a few extra weeks the first year. And even if you’re into anatomy, you can learn it just as well with one pass with the rest of your class come the school year. Enjoy your summer, that is the best thing you can do to prepare yourself for school.

Reactions: 2 users