2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also I'd imagine that other factors like the essays, shadowing hours/clinical exposure play a role as well. If they are as 'holistic' as they say they are, they wouldn't offer an interview solely because an applicant meets the stats criteria. But I agree with catwoman. You should call them up and make your case.

Forgot to mention I shadowed 31 hours with D.O. Rest with an M.D. (70 total) and got a LOR from a graduate of their med school, which I don’t know if that would help or not, one could always hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an II! Looking forward to seeing the area and school ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Medscigirl Hey I was wondering if you knew what the post II acceptance rates are like, I got an interview a couple of days after submitting my secondary and I am very nervous! Thank you!

@Medscigirl I was wondering about KYCOM's curriculum. Is there any talk of it changing to systems-based? Is it pass/file or letter grade? I read on their site that it's pass/file but my friends from previous years have been saying letter grades so I wanted to make sure. Furthermore, how is the interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, could anyone give me their opinion on what to do?

I applied here, and it is my #1 school, I completed my secondary on 7/26 but still no II. I saw where someone put up criteria for interviews at 3.2 gpa and 498 mcat. So I was wondering if you guys think I should just give up or do I still have a chance at an interview?

MCAT: 497
sGPA: 3.49
cGPA: 3.65
100+ Hours volunteering (no medical)
~15 hours student mentoring
~50 hours of tutoring
Worked student job since I’ve been in college
OOS (Ohio) but from a rural, underserved Appalachian Area

Should I basically just plan on taking a gap year and fixing my mcat score and getting medical experience? I’m sort of stressed now

I think it's a bit early to worry. However, worst case scenario, you may want to improve your mcat score and find some way to gain medical experience. Especially for DO schools, service to the underserved can be important. However, way too early to tell!

@Medscigirl I was wondering about KYCOM's curriculum. Is there any talk of it changing to systems-based? Is it pass/file or letter grade? I read on their site that it's pass/file but my friends from previous years have been saying letter grades so I wanted to make sure. Furthermore, how is the interview?
The interview is very laid back, no pressure at all. It was the easiest one I had. OPP and OPC (these are your OMT and clinical skills classes) are pass/fail but the rest are grades. It is going to more of a systems based but I’m not sure when. Second year is more systems based in my opinion. Pathology, pharmacology as well as other disciplines try to teach all the same topic so you can correlate the topic you are learning in every class

@Medscigirl Hey I was wondering if you knew what the post II acceptance rates are like, I got an interview a couple of days after submitting my secondary and I am very nervous! Thank you!
The earlier the better! Most people who interview are offered a spot. They screen heavily before offering an interview

Reactions: 4 users
holy **** i got an ii! so unexpected i'm crying lmao

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all KYCOM is so nice they just called me to check up on me on a SATURDAY

Reactions: 6 users
Talked with Mike, the admissions director, this morning and he was so nice. Just answering any questions we might have and give us information on next weeks interview. What a great process this has been so far!

Recieved my first II earlier today!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, could anyone give me their opinion on what to do?

I applied here, and it is my #1 school, I completed my secondary on 7/26 but still no II. I saw where someone put up criteria for interviews at 3.2 gpa and 498 mcat. So I was wondering if you guys think I should just give up or do I still have a chance at an interview?

MCAT: 497
sGPA: 3.49
cGPA: 3.65
100+ Hours volunteering (no medical)
~15 hours student mentoring
~50 hours of tutoring
Worked student job since I’ve been in college
OOS (Ohio) but from a rural, underserved Appalachian Area

Should I basically just plan on taking a gap year and fixing my mcat score and getting medical experience? I’m sort of stressed now
email them, they may have screened you post secondary for the MCAT score. last year the screened at 498

II just now, complete 7/17, OOS!

Reactions: 3 users
Can we call ahead and find out who our interviewers will be? Or is that a bad look?

Can we call ahead and find out who our interviewers will be? Or is that a bad look?
Definitely don’t do that. They will provide you with a folder once you arrive with info about the faculty interviewing you. You will have time to talk look it over and talk with current students about those faculty prior to going in to your interview

Should we bring anything to the interview?

Should we bring anything to the interview?
Just a pen for some note taking and an ID is all you really need. The school will provide lunch and you will be taking a tour of the school. The faculty interviewers already have all your info.

I am a current student about to start my 3rd year rotations so if you have any questions feel free to ask here on the forum or DM me
Hey! Wondering if lecture is mandatory or if you can watch recorded lectures? (Excluding OMM courses of course) Also, how long did you have for dedicated prep for Comlex Level 1? I had read somewhere that it was 8 weeks but I can't find that back at all. Thank you!

Lectures are mandatory your first year (especially Anatomy lab Tuesday/Thursday’s and OPP Wednesday) and all are recovered. While classes are “mandatory”, if you miss a day or two it’s not a big deal especially if you are doing well in the class. As far as dedicated goes, there is talk of adjusting the time to include more dedicated, but currently it is currently 2 months.

Lectures are mandatory your first year (especially Anatomy lab Tuesday/Thursday’s and OPP Wednesday) and all are recovered. While classes are “mandatory”, if you miss a day or two it’s not a big deal especially if you are doing well in the class. As far as dedicated goes, there is talk of adjusting the time to include more dedicated, but currently it is currently 2 months.
Sounds good, thank you!

What are some hotels nearby campus that current interviewees/students recommend? I called the four on the list earlier and don't have any openings for my date.

What are some hotels nearby campus that current interviewees/students recommend? I called the four on the list earlier and don't have any openings for my date.
The only ones near campus are the Hilton/Hampton, and Holiday Inn. You can also look into Airbnb, some students rent a spare room out for occasions like this.

II received! Interviewing 10/25 which is as early as i could:arghh:

Congrats everyone for your II’s! I was complete 7/20. Haven’t heard anything yet!

I just called Michael and he said that they haven't forgotten about us. He said they have received over 2400 applications and it takes a while to hand review them :(

I just called Michael and he said that they haven't forgotten about us. He said they have received over 2400 applications and it takes a while to hand review them :(
Meanwhile one of my friends got an ii literally just hours after submitting.. :(

Reactions: 1 users