2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get any holds or R’s?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be flying into Charleston, WV and driving the 2 hours into Pikesville. I land at around 7:30pm on the 15th if anyone needs a ride

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary and was complete a few days before some of the people who have received II's. Think it's worth a call to see I am rejected or does that seem too desperate?

Last edited:
interview invite this morning

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II!!!!

Just talked with Michael and he said that currently they are screening IIs at cGPA>3.2, sGPA>3.2, and MCAT>498. If you're below, they'll look at you later in the cycle. They will not be doing silent rejections.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Got an II!!!!

Just talked with Michael and he said that currently they are screening IIs at cGPA>3.2, sGPA>3.2, and MCAT>498. If you're below, they'll look at you later in the cycle. They will not be doing silent rejections.
All of my stats made this threshold but I do not have an II... I wonder if they screen subsection scores as well because I have a 123 in CARS but overall is a 504.

Edit: II received 8/5

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All of my stats made this threshold but I do not have an II... I wonder if they screen subsection scores as well because I have a 123 in CARS but overall is a 504.
I'm unsure of the subsection screens, but I had a 123 Bio. They just started sending out invites yesterday so I wouldn't worry just yet.

We’re you complete a while ago? Or just recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current student about to start my 3rd year rotations so if you have any questions feel free to ask here on the forum or DM me
Is it true that you have to travel to several different states for rotations? Do they cover the cost of your stay? Not sure how that works...

Is it true that you have to travel to several different states for rotations? Do they cover the cost of your stay? Not sure how that works...
No. You get to chose your rotation site from many different options, but you do all your rotations for the year at that site. You will live in the area you are doing rotations at just like you lived at a place in Pikeville. So they don’t cover the cost of your stay, it’s like being in school, just at a different place if that makes sense.

No. You get to chose your rotation site from many different options, but you do all your rotations for the year at that site. You will live in the area you are doing rotations at just like you lived at a place in Pikeville. So they don’t cover the cost of your stay, it’s like being in school, just at a different place if that makes sense.
Do you know if Pikeville requires their student to do rotations at their core clinical sites? For example, let's say I have a connection to a hospital where I live that hosts medical students, would I be able to go there if I want?

Yes haha. Makes more sense. Thank you!

Do you know if Pikeville requires their student to do rotations at their core clinical sites? For example, let's say I have a connection to a hospital where I live that hosts medical students, would I be able to go there if I want?
Unfortunately no, the school books out rotation sites and makes sure there are enough available for all student so you can’t go to a different site, but you can for your 4th year rotation and for selective rotations I believe

I submitted my secondary and was complete a few days before some of the people who have received II's. Think it's worth a call to see I am rejected or does that seem too desperate?
Ehhhh I don't think you need to call. Might be a bit much.

Anyone interviewing on 8/30? Maybe we can get a SDN group together for dinner or something :) PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm interviewing on 8/30! I have been trying to figure out the best way to get to the school (Uber? Taxi? Running really fast for two hours straight?), what airport is best to look for a flight to, and the best place to stay (hotel? airbnb? In the admissions office?).

What are you guys doing for all that?

I'm interviewing on 8/30! I have been trying to figure out the best way to get to the school (Uber? Taxi? Running really fast for two hours straight?), what airport is best to look for a flight to, and the best place to stay (hotel? airbnb? In the admissions office?).

Flying into Lexington and renting a car. The town is like 2.5 hours away from the airport so driving/renting a car is the best option.

The Hampton and Hilton are connected and right across the street from the school

Received an interview invite this morning at around 7:30!!! My very first one! Scheduled for Sept 20th which was the first date available.

What were your stats and when were you complete?
I'm IS, submitted the secondary response on July 3rd but my file wasn't complete (due to pending MCAT scores) until Aug 6th, yesterday morning. I will message you with my stats!

My application was marked complete on 07/21. 502 mcat and 3.2 gpa. Still no II :(

My application was marked complete on 07/21. 502 mcat and 3.2 gpa. Still no II :(
I think unfortunately we are truly going to have to be patient. Applicants with solid MCAT scores or GPAs are getting interviews first. I see people with 510+ MCATs and 3.7+ GPAs posting here (not both simultaneously). When these applicants are accepted to multiple schools and subsequently decline Pikeville, then the rest of us will hopefully have a chance to demonstrate our value. You got this.

I think unfortunately we are truly going to have to be patient. Applicants with solid MCAT scores or GPAs are getting interviews first. I see people with 510+ MCATs and 3.7+ GPAs posting here (not both simultaneously). When these applicants are accepted to multiple schools and subsequently decline Pikeville, then the rest of us will hopefully have a chance to demonstrate our value. You got this.
I have a sGPA of 3.72 and have no heard anything. I have no idea how they are going through people... maybe IS first?

You're above the screen! I know its easier said than done but just hang in there. I'm IS and from the region so I think that helped my case a bit. Good luck!

Hey guys, could anyone give me their opinion on what to do?

I applied here, and it is my #1 school, I completed my secondary on 7/26 but still no II. I saw where someone put up criteria for interviews at 3.2 gpa and 498 mcat. So I was wondering if you guys think I should just give up or do I still have a chance at an interview?

MCAT: 497
sGPA: 3.49
cGPA: 3.65
100+ Hours volunteering (no medical)
~15 hours student mentoring
~50 hours of tutoring
Worked student job since I’ve been in college
OOS (Ohio) but from a rural, underserved Appalachian Area

Should I basically just plan on taking a gap year and fixing my mcat score and getting medical experience? I’m sort of stressed now

Hey guys, could anyone give me their opinion on what to do?

I applied here, and it is my #1 school, I completed my secondary on 7/26 but still no II. I saw where someone put up criteria for interviews at 3.2 gpa and 498 mcat. So I was wondering if you guys think I should just give up or do I still have a chance at an interview?

MCAT: 497
sGPA: 3.49
cGPA: 3.65
100+ Hours volunteering (no medical)
~15 hours student mentoring
~50 hours of tutoring
Worked student job since I’ve been in college
OOS (Ohio) but from a rural, underserved Appalachian Area

Should I basically just plan on taking a gap year and fixing my mcat score and getting medical experience? I’m sort of stressed now

I would email the school or call and tell them your story. They could potentially tell you nothing and just say here are our stats. But they could also be very open and honest with you. It doesn’t hurt to reach out. That way if you do end up applying you will be on their radar! I’ve done that with a few schools and they were extremely kind and honest and even said they would forward my email to the dean of admissions and look forward to reviewing my application. Best of luck!

I would email the school or call and tell them your story. They could potentially tell you nothing and just say here are our stats. But they could also be very open and honest with you. It doesn’t hurt to reach out. That way if you do end up applying you will be on their radar! I’ve done that with a few schools and they were extremely kind and honest and even said they would forward my email to the dean of admissions and look forward to reviewing my application. Best of luck!
Also I'd imagine that other factors like the essays, shadowing hours/clinical exposure play a role as well. If they are as 'holistic' as they say they are, they wouldn't offer an interview solely because an applicant meets the stats criteria. But I agree with catwoman. You should call them up and make your case.

I thought about doing that, was just wondering if it would be too soon to do that since interviews just started going out about a week ago. But I might go ahead and give it a try.