2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still sending out interview invitations for the waitlist or are they done?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the specific list of where and what specialty the class of 2020 matched, but you can search #kycom2020match on Instagram to get a glimpse of some of the matches this year.

Additionally, it is reported that 97% of the graduating class of 2020 at kycom secured a residency spot through the NRMP match. Hope this helps answer some of your questions, as I too have been trying to keep an eye out for a full match list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what kind of iPad we’ll get? Also, do most first years have roommates?

can someone who was supposed to have an interview 3/20 or later that was rescheduled because it was put online, PM me?

I’m asking because i want to know if anyone has heard anything about rescheduling their interview

I’m asking because i want to know if anyone has heard anything about rescheduling their interview

I’m still waiting to hear back about my interview that was originally on 3/20

Reactions: 1 user
I am also waiting to hear back from my interview originally on 03/24.

I am also waiting to hear back from my interview originally on 03/24.
so you already had the interview online and are waiting to hear back from it? or you are waiting for them to reach out and reschedule? sorry to specify i’ve just been stressed that i haven’t heard anything more haha

so you already had the interview online and are waiting to hear back from it? or you are waiting for them to reach out and reschedule? sorry to specify i’ve just been stressed that i haven’t heard anything more haha
I am waiting for them to reach out and reschedule. Mr. Kennedy did state to me two weeks ago that this process would take longer, so I am hoping it comes sooner rather later than my scheduled date.

Don't worry lol..I am a little stressed about it too but if we are in the same boat, I am sure plenty of others are as well, not only in this institution. Feel free to ask any more questions too :)

I'm sorry if this sounds rude in anyway, but KYCOM has usually had lower First Time Pass rates, compared to other schools, for the COMLEX (~85%). Do you guys think it is because of the curriculum or a different reason? And something to worry about?

I'm sorry if this sounds rude in anyway, but KYCOM has usually had lower First Time Pass rates, compared to other schools, for the COMLEX (~85%). Do you guys think it is because of the curriculum or a different reason? And something to worry about?
I was wondering the same thing too!

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the faculty has made some great adjustments to improve those first time pass rates for both Class of 2022 and 2023. They listened to student feedback and implemented more board-relevant material into their courses, more required practice board questions by certain dates and other things. If you study hard to perform well in your classes and supplement that with a solid board prep strategy found on here or Reddit, you’re setting yourself up for success.

can current students tell me about where you workout? do people mainly belong to a gym or is there one at upike that students use?

can current students tell me about where you workout? do people mainly belong to a gym or is there one at upike that students use?

During my interview they mentioned there was a CrossFit/gym close by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that for last year? We heard it was 96%pass rate. The curriculum is ok but the bang for your buck comes from the board study materials and test bank the school buys for you. They also pay for all COMLEX exams (with the exception of the PE Portion your 3rd year). I also purchased Uworld and passed my first time.

The ymca is really close and they offer a student discount, there is also and anytime fitness and there used to be CrossFit but not sure if it’s still there

How quick did you guys hear back after the interview (I did mine over Zoom two weeks ago)?

Does anyone know if interviewing all over?

When I last contacted Michael Kennedy, I was informed that interviews have been suspended. Not sure if that means they're done for now... hopefully not!

For already admitted students or current students, do you think we will get the newest iPad Pro or last years model?

For already admitted students or current students, do you think we will get the newest iPad Pro or last years model?
More than likely new, but you can call IT and ask them

Applied January 10. Interviewed March 6. Accepted March 17.

Does anybody know anything about classes starting online in July?

I had my zoom interview last Monday and Mr. Kennedy told me that the committee is meeting today(every two weeks). Hopefully we all hear something soon!

when i met with him on the 27th he said they were meeting thursday the 30th

when i met with him on the 27th he said they were meeting thursday the 30th

They’re probably waiting for May 15th to pass to know for sure how many spots they have available. I’m sure may of you will here back early next week the latest

They’re probably waiting for May 15th to pass to know for sure how many spots they have available. I’m sure may of you will here back early next week the latest

They are waiting to see how many spots are available. They still don’t really know for sure yet.

I officially withdrew my acceptance a few days ago. Good luck to everyone!

Received an email from Mr. Kennedy yesterday. Due to a personal circumstance with one of the admission committee members, a decision for me will be given next week. I do not know how that affects someone who interviewed before or after me that has not received a decision yet, I just wanted to notify you all in case they do not contact anyone this week.

Accepted this morning via email. Interview date was 4/30.

Wonderful campus, students and faculty I just don’t think it’s the right fit for me. I hope my A goes to one of you guys

I was waitlisted after interviewing 3/6. Praying I get accepted for this school! It is my number one choice.

Can any current or former students answer my questions?

-What’s the typical daily schedule? What’s the usual dress code for this schedule?
-Are lectures recorded? Is attendance mandatory?
-What all do they provide in their “KYCOM Advantage” besides the iPad?
-How do you all feel about living in the Commons apartments if anybody has lived there?

has anyone who interviewed on 4/27 heard anything? or anyone who zoom interviewed heard about waitlist - or have the only notified acceptances?

has anyone who interviewed on 4/27 heard anything? or anyone who zoom interviewed heard about waitlist - or have the only notified acceptances?

Interviewed on 05/01. No post-interview updates for me yet, but I am thinking I am going to hear back this week from what Mr. Kennedy has advised me.

Hope my spot goes to one of you well-deserving humans! KYCOM’s environment was absolutely incredible

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current or former students answer my questions?

-What’s the typical daily schedule? What’s the usual dress code for this schedule?
-Are lectures recorded? Is attendance mandatory?
-What all do they provide in their “KYCOM Advantage” besides the iPad?
-How do you all feel about living in the Commons apartments if anybody has lived there?
Typically classes run from 8am-3pm with some variations. Sometimes class goes till 5, Wednesday’s I don’t think you start till 10 if I remember correctly. Lunch is like clockwork at noon everyday. Attendance is mandatory for the first year but all lectures are recorded. Dress code is business casual/ professional dress but men have to wear ties unless they wear a crew neck sweater. No need for suits etc. KYCOM advantage included the iPad, all your books electronically, question banks for boards, all of your board exams (except for the PE portion in 2nd year), OMT table and medical equipment (stethoscope, otoscope etc), white coat, I believe they still do 1 pair of scrubs, a certain amount of free printing, and free parking at school except in a few certain areas. Being a student also grants you discounts at a ton of places in town including the ymca. I didn’t live in the commons so I can’t comment on that.

I know we’re quite early, but do any matriculating/older students have suggestions to find research for next summer? I really want to find a lab to take me after we get a handle on the first couple blocks, & I have little undergrad experience.

I know we’re quite early, but do any matriculating/older students have suggestions to find research for next summer? I really want to find a lab to take me after we get a handle on the first couple blocks, & I have little undergrad experience.
Join the research club. They have lists of opportunities and meet to discuss options etc. There is also a summer research scholarship where you would get paid a little to do the research.