2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interviewing tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

@Tgfu34 What are my chances of getting in? 490 MCAT, and around 25 hours volunteering. I have an interview for later this month. Also, how easily have you made friends I am very antisocial and am worried that I’ll be very lonely.
What was your GPA, if you dont mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not heard back. I applied back in mid September. Lm=65

@Tgfu34 What are my chances of getting in? 490 MCAT, and around 25 hours volunteering. I have an interview for later this month. Also, how easily have you made friends I am very antisocial and am worried that I’ll be very lonely.

Sent you a PM

Idk about y’all but I am nervous! I keep checking my phone.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear back today? I’m pretty much going crazy with stress

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk man I am not sure anymore
It’s too soon to tell. Idk either. But you got a good feeling from the school which is good. I’m just crossing my fingers. I feel like I am more stressed post interview than pre

Accepted! Ironically missed the call..but I called back. Cried so hard.

Withdrawing my acceptance today - good vibes for everyone!

Can someone who goes to the school offer insight about how clinical rotations work? i saw they have multiple sites, do students get any say on where they go - or does it depend on what the rotation is - or are students randomly assigned? thanks!

Can someone who goes to the school offer insight about how clinical rotations work? i saw they have multiple sites, do students get any say on where they go - or does it depend on what the rotation is - or are students randomly assigned? thanks!
Also how do away rotations work?
Are we allowed to find our own? Can they be any state? Are there any limitations?

Hi! So there are core sites that you have to choose from spring of second year. You will pick your top 3 choices and then there will be a survey that comes out stating how many spots are available at that site, how many students desire that site as their number 1, etc. They’ll allow students to change their choices and send the survey back out a couple of times. Then, if there are enough spots for however many students want that particular place as their number 1, they’ll get it. But if there’s more, then it goes to lottery. Basically draw your name out of a hat to figure out who gets to stay there and who will go somewhere else. I believe fourth year you can go anywhere you want. But third year you have to choose from their sites. Some sites are application only and do not fall under the lottery system. There’s a spreadsheet that you sign up on and it shows you how many others have that as their #1,2, or 3 and how many spots there are, etc. so if you absolutely wanted to avoid lottery you’d be able to see what sites you could for sure get. Because say you don’t get your #1 in the lottery, but your #2 and #3 picks are filled because they were taken by those who had that as #1, then you pretty much have to go where they send you. There are a couple of other states, like Mississippi had two sites, Ohio has some, I think Indiana might, etc.

Hi! So there are core sites that you have to choose from spring of second year. You will pick your top 3 choices and then there will be a survey that comes out stating how many spots are available at that site, how many students desire that site as their number 1, etc. They’ll allow students to change their choices and send the survey back out a couple of times. Then, if there are enough spots for however many students want that particular place as their number 1, they’ll get it. But if there’s more, then it goes to lottery. Basically draw your name out of a hat to figure out who gets to stay there and who will go somewhere else. I believe fourth year you can go anywhere you want. But third year you have to choose from their sites. Some sites are application only and do not fall under the lottery system. There’s a spreadsheet that you sign up on and it shows you how many others have that as their #1,2, or 3 and how many spots there are, etc. so if you absolutely wanted to avoid lottery you’d be able to see what sites you could for sure get. Because say you don’t get your #1 in the lottery, but your #2 and #3 picks are filled because they were taken by those who had that as #1, then you pretty much have to go where they send you. There are a couple of other states, like Mississippi had two sites, Ohio has some, I think Indiana might, etc.

Just to piggy-back off of this, there is potential that you can establish your own rotation site but you have to work extensively with the school and desired site to make sure that all the requirements are met. There was another site established in Ohio by two students and they worked with the school to get that one done but it took a lot of work. Also, it can‘t just be you who wants to attend the site. There has to be at least two spots open for students to apply to. Most of the students do what’s stated above but if you’re really adamant about establishing a core site, it’s not out of the question. Also, there are sites that are application-based instead of lottery-based.

II a few days ago, will be withdrawing though. Hope it goes to someone here

Just declined my acceptance offer, hopefully someone else on here can take my space, was a hard choice school seems great!

Has anyone from the 21st heard back yet
I also interviewed on the 21st and haven't heard back. I emailed Michael Kennedy with a question I had during my interview that he told me to remind and email him about, and I also asked about any updates. He said the dean is out of town and we likely won't hear back until early next week.

Has anyone from the 21st heard back yet
I also interviewed on the 21st and haven't heard back. I emailed Michael Kennedy with a question I had during my interview that he told me to remind and email him about, and I also asked about any updates. He said the dean is out of town and we likely won't hear back until early next week.
If ya'll havent heard back yet, it might just be that they havent gotten around to it yet. remember that they did say they were going to call everyone individually, which may take some time.

Reactions: 1 users
I just received a II today for 4/24! I’m not sure how to feel with it being so late in the cycle. What are my chances? Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point? Also, what is the interview day like? This is my first one and I live about 5 hours from Pikeville so I’m very nervous.

Reactions: 1 users
If ya'll havent heard back yet, it might just be that they haven't gotten around to it yet. remember that they did say they were going to call everyone individually, which may take some time.
Thanks for the uplifting reminder! Getting quite anxious though. Did anyone else hear back from the 2/21 interview?

Best of luck to you Premedbix98! The interview day was very relaxed, don't stress about it at all. I was too far to drive so I flew into Lexington and drove from there.

Last edited:
I just received a II today for 4/24! I’m not sure how to feel with it being so late in the cycle. What are my chances? Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point? Also, what is the interview day like? This is my first one and I live about 5 hours from Pikeville so I’m very nervous.

it's not over til it's over! Go crush it :)

Can anyone from the school answer these questions I have?

> How many weeks do they give for dedicated board prep?
> Does the non-system based curriculum help or hinder your ability to study for boards?
> Do you know how many HPSP students are attending (people going the military route)?
> Do you know how many people who are national service corps scholarship recipients?
> How are the local grocery stores? Do they have international food options? How about food for people with certain dietary restrictions (like soy milk, gluten-free options, etc.)?

Can anyone from the school answer these questions I have?

> How many weeks do they give for dedicated board prep?
> Does the non-system based curriculum help or hinder your ability to study for boards?
> Do you know how many HPSP students are attending (people going the military route)?
> Do you know how many people who are national service corps scholarship recipients?
> How are the local grocery stores? Do they have international food options? How about food for people with certain dietary restrictions (like soy milk, gluten-free options, etc.)?

1.) About 8 weeks after the semester ends in May.
2.) I’m indifferent towards it honestly. I’m still learning necessary board material in my classes which is good. In the end, the curriculum will prepare you To do well on boards and you’ll supplement with outside sources along the way To fill in the cracks.
3.) I’ve seen A handful of students from each class but it differs from year to year.
4.) Not a clue on this one, sorry.
5.) Local grocery stores are adequate. We have a Walmart, Food City (nicer/smaller grocery store) and Velocity Market (even smaller). There are international food options and restaurants throughout the area and I can’t speak on the variety of options for dietary restrictions but I’ve seen both of the examples you’ve listed at Food City.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM!