2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I discussed my family ties to the program and then segued into a why us essay.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having issues uploading a photo of themselves onto the app? It wont let me open any jpg files.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Tufts a research-oriented school?

I need to add a couple sentences explaining old sub-par academic performance. I haven't received the secondary yet so I can't see character limits, but is there room to address this more broadly under the "Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s)" prompt, or would this go better under the "do you wish to include any additional comments..." prompt?

Submitted today; received email of completion

For the relatives who have graduated from Tufts medical question.... my great uncle graduated from here but it is not an option on the drop down menu although the question itself doesn't specify it needs to be immediate family... can I include it... and how?

For the relatives who have graduated from Tufts medical question.... my great uncle graduated from here but it is not an option on the drop down menu although the question itself doesn't specify it needs to be immediate family... can I include it... and how?
I’m in a similar boat as you- I have uncles and several cousins who have attended. I just wrote it under the “any other information” essay.

What are you guys writing in the additional comments
That I'm a bad-ass, LOL.
Seriously though, I did point out some unique challenges that I faced through most of my extracurriculars and post-bacc work. I didn't use much of the allotted word count. You're not going to make your reviewer happy reading fluff.

• Haha
For the competency pre-reqs, are people writing whole stories about them (ie research experience for Laboratory) or just 1 sentence like "I worked in this lab for 2 years"

For the competency pre-reqs, are people writing whole stories about them (ie research experience for Laboratory) or just 1 sentence like "I worked in this lab for 2 years"

I just listed. Class, lab, or short description of experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what Tufts tend to put heavy value on? Their mission/vision statement is low key broad.. lol

wait thats awesome lol. when did you submti that you're not verified yet? wondering bc im submitting this week and wonder how long itll take.
NYMC sent the secondary on Saturday, AMCAS updated my status the following Monday. There's a forum where people are posting their submit/verification dates, so you can see how close you are. Mine took three weeks (6/9-7/1), but last year it took 5 weeks (I think like 6/28 to like 8/2). I think it really depends on how early you apply. I think the bulk of applications get submitted at the end of June.

Just realized I said I had no W's on my transcript when I actually had one from a measly PE credit. I've already submitted and can't fix it :eek:

Is anyone else still waiting for their letters of recommendation to say received in their portal? I submitted my secondary and assigned my letters yesterday afternoon, but it still says they haven't been received (other schools have received them just fine)

Is anyone else still waiting for their letters of recommendation to say received in their portal? I submitted my secondary and assigned my letters yesterday afternoon, but it still says they haven't been received (other schools have received them just fine)
It took a few hours for me. They probably just have to match your letters to your application which occasionally takes time.

Hi everyone, current Tufts M4 here. Happy to answer any questions you have.

EDIT: I don't come on here much these days, so if you DM me with anything important it may be a week before I respond.

Last edited:
Trying to prewrite secondaries, would someone mind sharing the character limit for the anything else prompt?

The gap year essay doesn't have a character count and allows me to paste my 1400 character essay without cutting it off. The diversity essay has a 1000 character limit and will cut off after that. Should I submit as is, or do you think that it will cut off upon submission?

The gap year essay doesn't have a character count and allows me to paste my 1400 character essay without cutting it off. The diversity essay has a 1000 character limit and will cut off after that. Should I submit as is, or do you think that it will cut off upon submission?
I was the same. I didn’t double check to see if it got cut off though.

Hey guys, would a couple of Calc courses satisfy the statistics requirement?

Hey guys, would a couple of Calc courses satisfy the statistics requirement?

Calc =/= stats, sorry. If you have done some research or a project that involved statistical analysis, I think you could use that.

Reactions: 1 users
My app is listed as ready for review on the portal, but my committee letter has not been uploaded yet (all other letters have). Will they begin reviewing my app without the committee letter, and will this negatively affect it?

I know Tufts med says that it is P/F but does it have internal rankings that it sends to residencies/uses for AOA?
Does Tufts use NBME-based exams during its preclinical years?

Amcas made a mistake in my GPA calculation for sophomore year of college that significantly lowered my sGPA. I put in an academic change request, but for the schools that have all my application materials, will that wrong gpa hurt me?? Or will they be fine once they get the fixed version (whenever that may be)

I know Tufts med says that it is P/F but does it have internal rankings that it sends to residencies/uses for AOA?
Does Tufts use NBME-based exams during its preclinical years?
First and second year are straight P/F. If you fail a course, you just have to pass it before the next year starts and there is no comment on your Dean's Letter unless you fail the re-test. There is no internal ranking for pre-clinicals. 3rd year is fail/low pass/pass/high pass/honors. We use NMBE exams for 3rd year rotations.

The 1st and 2nd year curriculum is changing for the incoming class this year, but it is still P/F.

For the competencies, are you guys just writing like 1 sentences?

For the competencies, are you guys just writing like 1 sentences?

Yea I think I just listed the courses and then if it was one I had to explain like the English one I just did a quick sentence.

To anyone applying to the Maine track, did you use the full 3000 character limit on your responses? I'm barely hitting half and I'm a tad concerned lol

To anyone applying to the Maine track, did you use the full 3000 character limit on your responses? I'm barely hitting half and I'm a tad concerned lol

I am not close to the 3000 character limit either! I think they are just giving us a lot of breathing room in case we do have that much to say.

What's the secondary for Maine track?

What's the secondary for Maine track?

What, if any, connections or ties do you have to Maine or a similar rural state? 3000 characters
What aspects of the Maine Medical Center (MMC) - Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) track do you find most attractive and interesting? 3000 characters
How do you foresee your completion of the MMC-TUSM track helping you achieve your future medical career goals? 3000 characters

Anybody screwed for the physics requirement? I took AP Physics C in high school, got fives on both, and never touched physics again. Apparently I don't meet the pre-requisites? 131 C/P too lol. I'm at a loss.... I feel like I'm clearly qualified in terms of physics.

Anybody have experience asking for a waiver on this?

Anybody screwed for the physics requirement? I took AP Physics C in high school, got fives on both, and never touched physics again. Apparently I don't meet the pre-requisites? 131 C/P too lol. I'm at a loss.... I feel like I'm clearly qualified in terms of physics.

I mean technically don't you need to just have taken it before you matriculate? So couldn't you do a course/courses this year...?

I’m not sure about a waiver, but you just need it completed before you matriculate. Are you still in undergrad? If not, is there a school nearby that would let you enroll in a couple of physics classes? With your 131 C/P, physics should be easy for you. But virtually every medical school has a physics requirement, at least the 30 that I applied to.

Last edited:
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/3/19
Secondary Submitted and Complete 7/28/19

Verified: 6/5/19
Secondary Received: 7/26/19
Submitted and Complete: 7/28/19

I mean technically don't you need to just have taken it before you matriculate? So couldn't you do a course/courses this year...?

I’m not sure about a waiver, but you just need it completed before you matriculate. Are you still in undergrad? If not, is there a school nearby that would let you enroll in a couple of physics classes? With your 131 C/P, physics should be easy for you. But virtually every medical school has a physics requirement, at least the 30 that I applied to.

I'm not in undergrad anymore so I'd need to take it somewhere else. It would be easy but I would have to take out loans to pay for additional tuition. It's doable it's just a pain. You're right that almost every school has a physics requirement, but of the 28 I am applying to, 27 of them accept the AP Exam as substitution.

I doubt they would accept an edX online self-paced course even if it was offered by a real school... But it would really make my life easier.

I'm not in undergrad anymore so I'd need to take it somewhere else. It would be easy but I would have to take out loans to pay for additional tuition. It's doable it's just a pain. You're right that almost every school has a physics requirement, but of the 28 I am applying to, 27 of them accept the AP Exam as substitution.

I doubt they would accept an edX online self-paced course even if it was offered by a real school... But it would really make my life easier.

Did you take any courses that had physics as a prerequisite? That also counts I think

Why not just apply, and then make the decision after you get in just in case they're your only A? Taking an extra physics class is a lot cheaper than doing another app cycle

Reactions: 3 users
Did you take any courses that had physics as a prerequisite? That also counts I think
No I didn't unfortunately. I had a humanities major. The only upper level science courses I took were in biology, chemistry, and biochem.
Why not just apply, and then make the decision after you get in just in case they're your only A? Taking an extra physics class is a lot cheaper than doing another app cycle
True. I'll just tell them I'm planning on taking the physics course in Spring semester and get it done if I need to. Hopefully I'd hear back by then if I apply today.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Is the portal down for you guys as well? I get an error message when I try to log in