2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can people post their MCATs to give us an idea of who has been getting interviews. I’m just curious to see if they are going for all high Stats first or if they are selecting based on other information as well. My MCAT is only 2 below their average

Can people post their MCATs to give us an idea of who has been getting interviews. I’m just curious to see if they are going for all high Stats first or if they are selecting based on other information as well. My MCAT is only 2 below their average
The average MCAT of those invited to interview that have posted thus far is 507-508.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average MCAT of those invited to interview that have posted thus far is 507-508.
I think you'll be okay, I believe KCU-COMs MCAT average is 506-507 and I still got a II with a 502 and am expecting to interview at DMU as well. DO schools are more holistic in their approach, as long as you're a reasonably well rounded candidate then you have a shot.

II tonight! First one ever! complete on 8/7

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! I'm over the moon!!! Good luck to everyone - I hope we all achieve our goals! :)

Congrats! Did your email link to the new fb group? Mine sent me to last year’s.

And for those wondering about MCAT scores for the early interviewees, I’m slightly above the average for DMU. I also submitted my app the first week, so I think it was a combination of the two. I know a few ppl with similar scores but applied much later and are still waiting to hear back for a possible II.

Just be patient y’all. It’s still very early in the cycle!

Congrats! Did your email link to the new fb group? Mine sent me to last year’s.

And for those wondering about MCAT scores for the early interviewees, I’m slightly above the average for DMU. I also submitted my app the first week, so I think it was a combination of the two. I know a few ppl with similar scores but applied much later and are still waiting to hear back for a possible II.

Just be patient y’all. It’s still very early in the cycle!
Oh weird, mine didn't link to any fb group! Was that the very first email you got?

Oh weird, mine didn't link to any fb group! Was that the very first email you got?

In the admission email there is a link to a class guide and in the class guide it has a link to the FB page. It’s actually the class of 2023 class guide lol.

In the admission email there is a link to a class guide and in the class guide it has a link to the FB page. It’s actually the class of 2023 class guide lol.
Oh mine doesn't have anything about a FB page. Under the social media it just says use #DMUBOUND and nothing else haha

Is it too late to submit primary to this school? I am just now thinking to add it

Is it too late to submit primary to this school? I am just now thinking to add it

I think it's still early. No secondary though so might just take a little while for your stuff to be processed. I believe I saw that they are on November II dates.

I think it's still early. No secondary though so might just take a little while for your stuff to be processed. I believe I saw that they are on November II dates.
thank you! Am submitting today!

Accepted! I'm over the moon!!! Good luck to everyone - I hope we all achieve our goals! :)

I got accepted yesterday as well! When did you interview? It would be funny if we met there! Mine was on 8/30.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I was complete 7/25. Too early to call the school to inquire? No news yet.

Hey all. I was complete 7/25. Too early to call the school to inquire? No news yet.
Dont call the school. It wont do anything and it will look bad. The admissions team knows you're there be patient

Reactions: 1 users
Dont call the school. It wont do anything and it will look bad. The admissions team knows you're there be patient
I second this. Schools can still interview you up until next Spring.

You’re right- it’s just so hard waiting! Thanks for the reality check.

App submitted!
Hope to hear soon.
How long did it take for people to hear back from adcom for an II?

There’s usually a pretty good amount of waitlist movement. Last cycle, they exhausted the first quartile, I think. (The quartiles aren’t all the same size, and most waitlisted people in last cycle’s SDN thread were in the first quartile, including me.)

Tl;dr, If you got waitlisted, you’re still in a decent spot.

Reactions: 1 user
@those accepted, am I correct in gathering that our deposit/any action is due only by December 14?

@those accepted, am I correct in gathering that our deposit/any action is due only by December 14?

That’s what I gathered from the emails. I submitted the extra supplemental doc tho.

What time does the interview day end (for those who have interviewed already)?

What time does the interview day end (for those who have interviewed already)?

May depend on the timing of your actual interview. Most people on my day got out by 3:30 or earlier. I didn't get out till 3:45 because my interview went long! Hope that's helpful! :)

II just now. Pretty late at night for the team. Super pumped though

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II! First one to hit my spam box lol

Edit: I was complete very early on, so if anyone else is in the same boat, don't lose hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Will it hurt my application if I have been out of school for 3 years? No post bach degree just undergrad. Have a 3.4 gpa with a 3.3 science gpa.

Will it hurt my application if I have been out of school for 3 years? No post bach degree just undergrad. Have a 3.4 gpa with a 3.3 science gpa.
Why do you think it would hurt you app? Were you productive the last 3 years?

Does anyone know what materials the interviewers have, if any? (i.e. primary, secondary, mcat score, etc.)

Why do you think it would hurt you app? Were you productive the last 3 years?
I have just heard from other applicants if you had a lower science gpa schools may have preferred if I had gone and got a post bach degree to show I can handle medical school. I have been working in a hospital since college but no research or schooling.

I have just heard from other applicants if you had a lower science gpa schools may have preferred if I had gone and got a post bach degree to show I can handle medical school. I have been working in a hospital since college but no research or schooling.
I think it depends also on your MCAT score as well. I think a post bacc could help you, but I wouldn't say you're DOA with a 3.3 science GPA. If you're otherwise a well rounded applicant and cast a wide net with your schools, you should get several interviews.

Does anyone know what materials the interviewers have, if any? (i.e. primary, secondary, mcat score, etc.)

Students have everything but metrics. Faculty and other interviewers have everything.

I’ve also been out of school for multiple years and working in a clinical setting since. No research at all. Was accepted a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: No post bacc either

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! Complete 6/28

Anyone who interviewed on 8/30 heard anything back yet?

Does anyone know if DMU actually pulls people off of the hold list? Just got an email saying that they reviewed my app and will put me on hold for a possible interview.

not sure if this is still relevant but i was complete 8/6 and got an II 8/12, 515 MCAT

ACCEPTED! I never thought this day would come!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed today, you guys were all awesome I hope we all get it!

Reactions: 1 users
II! Wasn’t expecting that because my essay was subpar lol.