2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
had my interview this week. thought it went pretty good. they said we would know in 2 weeks!! fingers crossed. loved the school and the facilities are amazing
How was the interview day itself?! Stressful or pretty chill?!

Members don't see this ad.

had my interview this week. thought it went pretty good. they said we would know in 2 weeks!! fingers crossed. loved the school and the facilities are amazing
I second this! Also, I liked everyone that interviewed with us so whoever you are, you’re a real one lol.

Reactions: 1 user
How was the interview day itself?! Stressful or pretty chill?!
It was my first interview of the season so i was stressing lolol the interview itself was pretty relaxed. they asked me a lot of questions regarding team work! i think most of them had something to do with collaboration.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was my first interview of the season so i was stressing lolol the interview itself was pretty relaxed. they asked me a lot of questions regarding team work! i think most of them had something to do with collaboration.
Yay! Good to hear! Thanks!

Did anyone manage to book a hotel with discount for your II? The DMU hotel admissions page on the website says that some of the ones listed do offer them but I am having a hard time finding out how to obtain one while booking online. Is it just something that has to be done via a phone call to the hotel itself?

Did anyone manage to book a hotel with discount for your II? The DMU hotel admissions page on the website says that some of the ones listed do offer them but I am having a hard time finding out how to obtain one while booking online. Is it just something that has to be done via a phone call to the hotel itself?
None of the hotels I called from theist where acknowledging a discount :/

MS1 here if anyone has any questions. 31 y/o non-trad from FL.

I didn’t use a hotel on their site, but at a different interview I had to call the hotel for the discount. For DMU, I stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites at the Event Center which was nice. Its within walking distance to a lot of restaurants and attractions. I booked with Southwest Vacations and ended up with a nice deal imo.

None of the hotels I called from theist where acknowledging a discount :/

That's unfortunate, thanks for the info. I'll be staying at either the Comfort Inn or the Holiday Inn Downtown, seems to be the cheapest out of the close recommended hotels.

That's unfortunate, thanks for the info. I'll be staying at either the Comfort Inn or the Holiday Inn Downtown, seems to be the cheapest out of the close recommended hotels.

You should look at Airbnb. There are some pretty cheap ones last I looked ($50 or less)

MS1 here if anyone has any questions. 31 y/o non-trad from FL.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! You may not know the answers to these, and if you don’t just say so.
  1. So I noticed that the housing allowance is like $700 a month. Do you know if financial aid allows changes to that for families?
  2. Are there required away rotations or can you do everything in Des Moines?

The allocations are just estimates of the breakdown. You will get your loan as a lump sum in early fall/ spring and you have to live off that until next semester...
Something like 40% of the class stays in DSM for third year.

I stayed at the holiday inn. It’s nice and 10 min drive from campus. Walking distance from downtown/ even the trendy east village area by capitol if u have free time to explore :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually stayed at the Holiday Inn air port location. I got a pretty nice discount and was able to get reliable shuttle service to and from the University as well as the airport. If it’s true that none of the others are doing this, this is the place to go. I did have to call though.

Reactions: 2 users
The allocations are just estimates of the breakdown. You will get your loan as a lump sum in early fall/ spring and you have to live off that until next semester...
Something like 40% of the class stays in DSM for third year.
I think its more than that. 40% get the year long DSM sites. Many many more are in DSM for most of the year, save for a few 'out' rotations if you get non-year long

@Chibucks15 You certainly know more than me. My big brother tried to explain a lot of it to me last week but he also isn't overly informed.
Either way the school is insanely nice. Top quality facility and awesome professors. DSM is nice with plenty to do downtown and I have a special love for the West Des Moines area and could see myself living there permanently. (I am born and raised in So. FL)
All of the lectures are loaded online quick and easy and I have nearly zero complaints. One small gripe would be that the mandatory lectures tend to line up early in the am and then later in the day. I wake up at 6:15 every day so I actually like going in to school in the morning but to then have 2 optional lectures (Which I will watch later) and then at 1 pm to have a mandatory 50 min lecture... now I have to hang out for 2-3 hours or go home and return. Granted there is never busy traffic and its only 10 mins from my house I am complaining about something minor.
I will also mention that while other first years are feeling overwhelmed and soul crushed during the first two weeks, I feel busy yet in control and I think that's just the atmosphere at DMU and the students and faculty fight to keep things manageable. Most days are 9-12 or 10-2 unless something like BLS or whatever is scheduled.
Some people mention that FM is "pushed" on you at their school or DO program. I have had literally zero of that experience. I did not mention primary care in my interview and it has almost not come up at all. Most faculty I engage with often mentions primary care and specialty differences and seem very open about us going for what we love.
I am extremely happy with my choice to attend DMU and I did have acceptances at a bunch of DO programs.

Reactions: 7 users
OMS-1 here. I chose DMU over a school that was very close to home.

DMU is the best DO school, and Des Moines is a fun (and affordable!) city with lots of stuff to do; it’s not a giant corn field, lol. So far, I’m very happy with my decision to come here.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
My portal says 0/1 for supplemental materials. Could this be my missing Casper score or do I have to send something in?

II received today :) LM 66.

First of the cycle and DMU is one of my top choices!!! Can't even talk about how excited I am! Good to hear from those who already attended interviews. It sounds like it wasn't too stressful. Just have to be comfortable and confident, but that's easier said than done, especially with dreams on the line haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
OOS Complete 8/16, II yesterday 8/19. can anyone share the interview day? is there only one half-an-hour interview with three people? how many interviewees in one day? and what is the average stat for their acceptants, it seems everyone on this thread has stellar stats

OOS Complete 8/16, II yesterday 8/19. can anyone share the interview day? is there only one half-an-hour interview with three people? how many interviewees in one day? and what is the average stat for their acceptants, it seems everyone on this thread has stellar stats

One interview that is 30-45 minutes long with 2-3 interviewers.

15 interviewees

I believe they said the average stats were MCAT: 507 and cGPA: 3.6-3.7

Source: interviewed last week

The Holiday Inn right by the airport gave me a discount. they also shuttle you to and from DMU and the airport

Does anyone know if they are going to be adding additional interview dates beyond the ones that are currently listed right now? Thanks!

Does anyone know if they are going to be adding additional interview dates beyond the ones that are currently listed right now? Thanks!
mine has only early October dates, what do you have?

mine has only early October dates, what do you have?

Same, when I confirmed my date yesterday, I only had the first two weeks of October available. Ended up choosing the Friday, will be making a vacation out of my interview day!

Where is this portal? Might've totally missed it, but didn't realize DMU had a portal

When they receive your primary, they invite you to complete a supplemental form online. Kinda like a secondary but without any essays lol.

Chillest interview I’ve ever been a part of. They didn’t even ask why DMU lol

Reactions: 4 users
My interview is in two weeks--so excited as DMU is a top choice for me! Anyone else interviewing on 9/5? Also, anyone in the area have recommendations on must-see places/restaurants? I'd love to get a feel for the surrounding community while I'm there. Thanks!

Chillest interview I’ve ever been a part of. They didn’t even ask why DMU lol
Hey. I have a quick question. What was the tour like? Was there a lot of walking outside? It's supposed to rain on the day of my interview next week so i'm just trying to prepare just in case.

Hey. I have a quick question. What was the tour like? Was there a lot of walking outside? It's supposed to rain on the day of my interview next week so i'm just trying to prepare just in case.

We walked like less than a minute outside last week. We used the tunnels underground, so if it’s raining they will most likely use that.

so FYI to everyone...when DMU says 3 weeks to hear back a lot of times its more than that. Lot of interviews, etc. Stay patient

so FYI to everyone...when DMU says 3 weeks to hear back a lot of times its more than that. Lot of interviews, etc. Stay patient

Looking at last year's thread they said 2-3 weeks and got back in 1 week... so you never know :unsure:

Looking at last year's thread they said 2-3 weeks and got back in 1 week... so you never know :unsure:
True. But I wouldn't count on that 100% of the time. I got a lot of messages last year with people freaking out. Much better to expect the longest delay and not sit there hitting the refresh button on your email for a month

True. But I wouldn't count on that 100% of the time. I got a lot of messages last year with people freaking out. Much better to expect the longest delay and not sit there hitting the refresh button on your email for a month

Thanks for the information! I think no matter what, I'm going to be spending every day refreshing.

Thanks for the information! I think no matter what, I'm going to be spending every day refreshing.
The biggest advice is to not do that and keep busy haha its stressful, but its a long process. For your sanity, stay busy. Checking it every 15 seconds wont change a thing.

I worked a ton during my wait so I didn't think about it. Then all of a sudden I got an email with DMU in it and then got mentally prepared

Had a dream last night that I got an acceptance email today lol. Would be awesome if it came true!

Had a dream last night that I got an acceptance email today lol. Would be awesome if it came true!
Haha hopefully! :) from my understanding the committee meets on Tuesday’s and people start hearing the good news on Wednesday’s but I could be a bit off on that.

ACCEPTED!!! IM SO EXCITED! omg we did it you guys! WE DID IT!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted I’m screaming!!! Interview 8/16 and since people always wonder - IS, 507, c3.87, s3.91

• Love
Congrats everyone! I'm interviewing in October and hope to share the same fate :)