2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those who interviewed yesterday, how was your experience? What are your thoughts about the school after visiting it?
Interviewed yesterday. I agree with what SmallTownSocks said but would like to add they have way more than their website portrays. After my visit, this school jumped way up on my list. They have patient experiences, standardized patients, and simulations starting YEAR 1, which was huge for me. Additionally, hospital one mile from the school is a level 2 trauma center with 400+ beds and the only things they transfer are burns and pediatric emergencies. Everything else stays and is treated in house.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys I’m a current first year and if you have any questions, I can try to answer them. Although we’ve only had 1 week of classes so far so don’t expect too much lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview invitation prior to my Casper scores being sent to the school.

Hey guys! I have been invited to fill out a secondary. I finally secured a DO letter, she assured me it will be done sometime in August, so let's hope Aug 15-25, should I submit my secondary in the next few days or wait until the letter? Essentially wondering if you can get an II before it is in.

Hey guys! I have been invited to fill out a secondary. I finally secured a DO letter, she assured me it will be done sometime in August, so let's hope Aug 15-25, should I submit my secondary in the next few days or wait until the letter? Essentially wondering if you can get an II before it is in.
Is that the only physician letter you have? ACOM does not require a DO letter, but does require some sort of physician letter. You could always submit the secondary and have that done then work on the letter. I do not believe you can get an II before having the letter from a physician, but I am not 100% sure.

EDIT: They do require the physician letter so you will not be considered complete and in review until they receive that

I have an MD letter I also hope to receive in the next 2 weeks. Do you know if for MD admissions I should submit secondaries before my MD letter is in (I have the required 2 science / 1 non science professor letters.)

Is that the only physician letter you have? ACOM does not require a DO letter, but does require some sort of physician letter. You could always submit the secondary and have that done then work on the letter. I do not believe you can get an II before having the letter from a physician, but I am not 100% sure.

EDIT: They do require the physician letter so you will not be considered complete and in review until they receive that

I have an MD letter I also hope to receive in the next 2 weeks. Do you know if for MD admissions I should submit secondaries before my MD letter is in (I have the required 2 science / 1 non science professor letters.)
Whether you want to submit a secondary before having letters is completely up to you. I personally would get things in ASAP because that's how I am. But, you will not be considered complete if you do not have all the required materials so you would not receive IIs until you are complete. Because of this, it really is up to you what you want to focus on first.

Your application won't be flagged complete for review without a physician LOR (MD or DO) on file so it won't make much of a difference when you submit the secondary (unless its after your LOR gets in).

This is highly school dependent. If the school doesn't say they encourage having a physician LOR, then I would say don't wait for it.

Not considered for an interview at this time. Waitlisted. Oh well.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from our interview last Friday?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received an email on 7/15 saying I was not selected for an interview at this time, but I had yet to submit my CASPer to them yet at this point. Is it possible that this was the reason I was not given an II, as they were still waiting for the CASPer score? Or have other people gotten II's without their CASPer scores sent to them yet? I am just confused because I have a LizzyM of 70.3 so I thought I would have a shot for an interview here.

So I received an email on 7/15 saying I was not selected for an interview at this time, but I had yet to submit my CASPer to them yet at this point. Is it possible that this was the reason I was not given an II, as they were still waiting for the CASPer score? Or have other people gotten II's without their CASPer scores sent to them yet? I am just confused because I have a LizzyM of 70.3 so I thought I would have a shot for an interview here.
I got an II without CASPer

They have a holistic admission approach so they factor in more than just stats here. I submitted CASPer and got an interview but others didn’t submit the CASPer so I think it’s more of a bonus to the application.

Don’t get anxious! We are all in this together lol

I literally haven't gotten sleep :lol: my anxiety is through the roof. Realistically though, I feel that many of the people in our interview group meshed really well with the program, so i have high hopes for everyone. It really all just came down to the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I literally haven't gotten sleep :lol: my anxiety is through the roof. Realistically though, I feel that many of the people in our interview group meshed really well with the program, so i have high hopes for everyone. It really all just came down to the interview.
Yeah, I enjoyed our interview group. Everyone was so easy to talk to, which was great. If that’s what my med school class is like, I’d love those 4 years.

I guess tomorrow is the big day huh

I guess tomorrow is the big day huh
I wouldn't think so because of interviews going on but who knows at this point lol. If he is as involved as he was during our interview day there is no way we get communication from him tomorrow. He did say he would start calls around 11a/12p local time, where it is 11:46a right now.

ACCEPTED!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Guys I just got accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Locations are only in AL and Florida, but you can schedule elective rotations anywhere.

Despite being a new(ish) school, the rotations are comparable to more established DO schools since unlike most newer DO schools ACOM was founded after clinical sites had been set up for several years.

Alabama created a training program called the AMEC pipeline in 2005 to give training to medical students by creating several core sites around major hospitals. It was setup so students from UAB and schools in adjacent states could rotate in Alabama which would hopefully increase the number of graduates staying in Alabama. ACOM was then started in 2013 as the academic division of Southeast Health (which has a major hospital ~a mile from campus).

So, when ACOM popped up, it took those AMEC core sites for itself (including the Southeast Health hospital) which means despite being a new school it had established clinical sites. You won't have to move for rotations and quite a few students just stay in Dothan for all 4 years.

They're still working on developing more core sites and I believe the state has funded AMEC to create ~400 more residency positions at some of those core sites and other hospitals.

It’s usually 10-12/ now 190 That can stay in Dothan. The rest will get a core site for 3&4. So yes no traveling month to month for rotations. The one bad thing is AMEC was reserved for ACOM under the old governor. With the new one, she isn’t as invested in ACOM, and in result VCOM-Auburn is starting to put a lot of their students in AMEC sites. With the new increase in students (30) and VCOM students getting spots there has been concern from current students and recent alumni about the standardized quality of education for rotations. I would still say at this moment they are one of the better off new schools for rotation quality.

Anyone remember when the official email of acceptance comes? I was too excited after he said I was accepted to hear anything else haha.

Anyone remember when the official email of acceptance comes? I was too excited after he said I was accepted to hear anything else haha.
I got one while I was talking to him but he did say he was sending something else Monday/Tuesday.

current student! feel free to message with any questions and I'll try to reply in a timely manner :) I know this time is SO STRESSFUL and feel like I was just in your shoes, so I'd love to help alleviate stress wherever possible.
Best of luck to each of you!

Received II on 7/29. Received secondary 6/24, finished 7/22, and complete email 7/24. I'm OOS and URM, cGPA 3.3 and MCAT 502.

Secondary completed on July 16th. Marked as received on the 24th. Marked as complete on Aug 2nd. Nothing since then...:uhno:

I'm a little late with this but also accepted here (interviewed 8/2)! I loved this school!

Reactions: 4 users
The newest class and boards data is also available if anyone is interested.

For anyone interested in their recent match list. 99% match rate with these placements! I'm shooketh lolll. ACOM's making alpha moves.

I just want to clarify that the 99% number is the placement rate. The match rate was closer to 95%.

The newest class and boards data is also available if anyone is interested.

I just want to clarify that the 99% number is the placement rate. The match rate was closer to 95%.
The match was way lower than 95%. I remember there was about 20 people that had to scramble and I believe 138 people were eligible for the match.