2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First II! Scheduled for 9/6. Anyone know if they do student hosts? :)

Some of the students do. You’d have to reach out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They told me that the gpa cut off for initial II was 3.4. So no matter high of an MCAT score you have if your gpa is under a 3.4, you won’t get the II, yet.

interesting... my gpa is below 3.4 and i have an ii. MCAT is high though.

Invite to interview received this morning! Blessed way to start the day and wake up to that puppy haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the best/cheapest way to get to ACOM from the northeast?
I’m from VA and will be driving lol. It’s about 11-12 hours for me. If you want to fly some say fly into Atlanta then drive from there is cheap but I’m not sure.

I’m from VA and will be driving lol. It’s about 11-12 hours for me. If you want to fly some say fly into Atlanta then drive from there is cheap but I’m not sure.
It’s also 2 hours away from destin, Florida so you can fly in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know the best/cheapest way to get to ACOM from the northeast?
I’m flying from the Midwest into Panama City and driving 1.5 hours to Dothan. It’ll be ~$140 cheaper to fly there, rent a car for two days, and pay for gas to drive there/back than a direct flight into Dothan and use Uber/Lyft (from my own calculations YMMV).

Smart - I was thinking of flying into Atlanta but it’s 3hrs from Dothan. Panama city might be a better option.
Yeah a couple of things to take into account are your time (if you’re in school a couple extra hours can be pretty important during September) and your rental miles. After ~100 miles/day most rental companies charge $.25-.50 per mile.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, another nearby airport is Albany GA. The prices are sometimes comparable to Panama City, but they are usually still a little cheaper than Dothan. I believe that airport is about an hour away from Dothan. I have used that airport before without issue. If you are willing to fork up the cash to fly into/out of Dothan airport, just an FYI, their airport is TERRIBLE at staying on schedule. I think they are usually okay when arriving into Dothan on time but anytime myself or one of my classmates has flown out of Dothan, their flight has been delayed EVERY TIME. I would consider you very lucky if you outgoing flight left on time out of Dothan lol. One time, my friend's flight got delayed twice and then rescheduled to the following day. Just food for thought.

When I interviewed, I was living in CO with my mom and flew into Atlanta and rented a car. It was the truly the cheapest option at the time. Looking back, I wish I had paid a little more to fly into Albany or Panama City though because that drive is painfully boring.

If anyone is interested a couple bars that are student favorites: KT's Pizza (Pizza is great and back patio is a fun hangout spot with cornhole and pool. They used to give free personal pizzas to ACOM students on Thursday nights, not sure if that is still a thing or not though.), Folklore (about 15 min away and hidden in a random neighborhood. It looks a little sketchy the first time you go because it literally looks like you're going down someone's long driveway but the place is very welcoming and very fun! They also have cornhole and are stocked with some other board games and cards against humanity. They are a microbrewery and also serve delicious mead. If you're lucky, you may even run into a couple professors there on a weekend.), and the Recovery Room (this was the favorite location during my first year but it seems to have fallen behind KT's and Folklore but it is the conveniently close to the school). If you want a chance to run into ACOM students, KT's will be your best bet on a weekend night.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else had issues with finding the discover.ACOM link? I checked all of my email folders and even emailed someone at admissions. Still no response. Thanks in advance!

Anyone else had issues with finding the discover.ACOM link? I checked all of my email folders and even emailed someone at admissions. Still no response. Thanks in advance!

I had this issue, just send an email to them. There are instructions on how to properly head the email too on their website. Really fast at replying and sent me the link.

IIRC Mine was “discover.acom.edu/FirstLast/Landing.aspx”

Members don't see this ad :)
Current students. How is the campus housing? Easy to get into and good rates?

For anyone still needing to book a flight consider flying to JAX airport in Florida and renting a car from there. The flights when I booked were going for like 107 dollars roundtrip and I'm from the Detroit area. This is in comparison to like a 500 dollar ticket directly to Dothan.

Anyone interviewing this coming Friday?!

For those who already received IIs, could you please share when you were considered complete/when you got an email that your secondary was received? I sent a primary late (7/20), sent in my secondary (7/23), received an email that they received my secondary and everything showed up in my portal (7/29) and I was wondering what they turnaround time looked like for other applicants. Do they send under review emails?

marked
For those who already received IIs, could you please share when you were considered complete/when you got an email that your secondary was received? I sent a primary late (7/20), sent in my secondary (7/23), received an email that they received my secondary and everything showed up in my portal (7/29) and I was wondering what they turnaround time looked like for other applicants. Do they send under review emails?

complete 7/24, II received today (7/29)

2° submitted 7/15,
“complete in review” 7/17,
II received 7/24

Anyone interviewing this Friday, 8/02 want to grab something with me and other interviewees at the end of the day? If so, PM me. :)

Congratulations! I'm assuming your complete email was separate from the one saying your secondary was received?
Yah the completed date I provided was when marked complete not when submitted

Not in particular! They just mentioned the MCAT minimum for this first round
The school might be trying to bump up their MCAT average. I heard the c/o 2023 had the same GPA average (3.4) but a 504 MCAT.

Current students. How is the campus housing? Easy to get into and good rates?
On campus housing is relatively expensive ~1k/mo for a 1 bed. The rate is all inclusive though and its slightly more convenient (but still a 5 minute walk). There's a couple apartment/townhomes within a 5 minute drive for $400-$600/1 bed. The better apartments are ~15-20 minutes away and cost $850-1300 for 1/2 bedroom. Some students will group together and rent a house. There's a couple in a complex right by the hospital paying $250 a month.

Also, I'm sure there's plenty of students who're willing to host interviewees for a night or two. Both classes and the 3/4th years rotating at SAMC are very friendly. Just reach out! :)

If you're trying to get here as cheaply as possible, fly into Atlanta (or one of the other non-regional airports) and greyhound down to dothan. It's $50 for a roundtrip. ~5 hours one way.

The school might be trying to bump up their MCAT average. I heard the c/o 2023 had the same GPA average (3.4) but a 504 MCAT.

On campus housing is relatively expensive ~1k/mo for a 1 bed. The rate is all inclusive though and its slightly more convenient (but still a 5 minute walk). There's a couple apartment/townhomes within a 5 minute drive for $400-$600/1 bed. The better apartments are ~15-20 minutes away and cost $850-1300 for 1/2 bedroom. Some students will group together and rent a house. There's a couple in a complex right by the hospital paying $250 a month.

Also, I'm sure there's plenty of students who're willing to host interviewees for a night or two. Both classes and the 3/4th years rotating at SAMC are very friendly. Just reach out! :)

If you're trying to get here as cheaply as possible, fly into Atlanta (or one of the other non-regional airports) and greyhound down to dothan. It's $50 for a roundtrip. ~5 hours one way.
I am completely in awe that you stated 1k for a 1 bedroom a month is expensive! Here in CT we pay A LOT more for a one bedroom and utilities are not included! I need to move south ASAP!

I am completely in awe that you stated 1k for a 1 bedroom a month is expensive! Here in CT we pay A LOT more for a one bedroom and utilities are not included! I need to move south ASAP!

It's expensive for the area especially when the average rent price ~5 minutes away is $400-600. A nice 2 bed 2 bath house will cost you ~60-120k here. There's a couple classmates who actually bought houses here, are doing their rotations here and are just going to sell the house/rent it out to students when they graduate.

It's expensive for the area especially when the average rent price ~5 minutes away is $400-600. A nice 2 bed 2 bath house will cost you ~60-120k here. There's a couple classmates who actually bought houses here, are doing their rotations here and are just going to sell the house/rent it out to students when they graduate.
You are only helping to feed my desire to move South :laugh:

Hi Guys! Just sent out primaries, so I'm a little behind the curve - decided to apply the first week of this month. Can someone post the secondary questions? I'm hoping to have all of them done before I am even verified.

Hi Guys! Just sent out primaries, so I'm a little behind the curve - decided to apply the first week of this month. Can someone post the secondary questions? I'm hoping to have all of them done before I am even verified.

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician? 500 words
b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician? 500 words

Can any current students describe the quality of clinical rotations here? (Ex. Are the locations only in AL and FL? Does Acom being a new school affect the quality?) Thanks!

Can any current students describe the quality of clinical rotations here? (Ex. Are the locations only in AL and FL? Does Acom being a new school affect the quality?) Thanks!

Locations are only in AL and Florida, but you can schedule elective rotations anywhere.

Despite being a new(ish) school, the rotations are comparable to more established DO schools since unlike most newer DO schools ACOM was founded after clinical sites had been set up for several years.

Alabama created a training program called the AMEC pipeline in 2005 to give training to medical students by creating several core sites around major hospitals. It was setup so students from UAB and schools in adjacent states could rotate in Alabama which would hopefully increase the number of graduates staying in Alabama. ACOM was then started in 2013 as the academic division of Southeast Health (which has a major hospital ~a mile from campus).

So, when ACOM popped up, it took those AMEC core sites for itself (including the Southeast Health hospital) which means despite being a new school it had established clinical sites. You won't have to move for rotations and quite a few students just stay in Dothan for all 4 years.

They're still working on developing more core sites and I believe the state has funded AMEC to create ~400 more residency positions at some of those core sites and other hospitals.

Reactions: 2 users
a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician? 500 words
b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician? 500 words
Thank you so much!

I got an II on 7/29 but interview registration is full. Anyone in the same boat?

Today was an interview day, and everyone was busy with that.

I've called and emailed a total of 4 times since Monday and they said they were opening up September 27 by Friday (today) and that hasn't happened. I've been neurotic all day and now I'm frustrated

Just be patient. There's no real difference interviewing September vs November (other than the slightly better weather).
The admin's also probably quite busy getting the new class settled in. This week is their first week of actual class.

Those who interviewed yesterday, how was your experience? What are your thoughts about the school after visiting it?

Reactions: 3 users
Those who interviewed yesterday, how was your experience? What are your thoughts about the school after visiting it?

I interviewed yesterday and thought it was very similar to the feedback that previous classes have given.

The interview process was probably the second item on the agenda, which was nice since you get to relax for the rest of the day. The interview itself was relaxed and questions were very standard (why ACOM, why DO, etc.), open file, nothing out of left field.

The school was very upfront about its strengths and shortages.

Strengths:
- a ton of support from the school, peers, and the city itself
- new facilities, continuing to advance their GME, and other programs
- this most recent class had great board scores including ~5 that matched ortho, so it seems their ironing out any kinks in the curriculum
- everyone was SUPER nice, and I’m from the south and even I was a bit surprised
- students and staff seemed happy, and dedicated to making the school better
- Dothan is very proud of the school
- Cost of living is cheap

Shortages:
- Dothan is smaller compared to other cities. There were literally only 2-3 lyfts in the city, but there were cab companies you can call (though expensive). Some of you may not like the small town feel
- Tuition is set to rise every year, but it’s a private school so what can you do
- The airport is small, and nearly all flights are connected to Atlanta through Delta so flights are expensive

Overall, I really enjoyed the school. I think if accepted, I would be happy going there. There were a few interviewees who didn’t seem to gel with the atmosphere, but I can say with confidence, you’d won’t regret going there. The faculty seemed very invested the students success, and told us that they’d understand if the school isn’t a fit for everyone. I think 8! about 10 years, the school will be a very solid school and doesn’t seem to have a lot of the issues that other new DO schools have. They mentioned that they’d like to expand the school into a University of Health Sciences in the future.

I’d say brush up on your application, don’t be nervous, be prepared to answer why ACOM, and you’ll be set. Hope y’all enjoy your interviews!

Reactions: 10 users
I also interviewed here yesterday. @SmallTownSocks is right on the money.

Just wanted to add one thing. Coming from someone who is out of state, this is a very ideal medical school to attend, particularly with the family-like feel. This campus does everything in its power to prevent feeling home-sick or burnout. Faculty was phenomenal and the students were very open.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Great school for the reasons stated above. I would say I was happily surprised with Uber and Lyft there. I used them both a lot during my 4 day visit and never had an issue getting one. I was even able to get one at 2 in the morning lol.

Great school for the reasons stated above. I would say I was happily surprised with Uber and Lyft there. I used them both a lot during my 4 day visit and never had an issue getting one. I was even able to get one at 2 in the morning lol.

Its funny, we have the same I wanna say like 4 drivers when Uber first started here. So if you didn't have a car and took Uber a couple times a year you got to know them pretty well.

Shortages:
- The airport is small, and nearly all flights are connected to Atlanta through Delta so flights are expensive
There's several car rental companies in Dothan. Most of us either drive to ATL and pay for long term parking (~$6-8 a day) or rent a car in Dothan for $50, drive to ATL and drop off there.