2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A tip for those reapplying: schedule a tour with Jonesboro admissions, if you can. They make a note of it in your file. It even came up during my (successful) interview.
Same here! Do it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They told me over the phone to expect an email letting everyone on the waitlist know that the cycle is over by the end of last week! But haven't gotten that yet so who knows ah
Still didn't get the rejection email lol. Oh well, hopefully we all get lucky next year.

Honestly, If you've only been accepted to NYITCOM's Jonesboro campus, do not go. Apply again another year and you can change the entire trajectory of your life with just a little more time and effort. It's just not worth it to waste your time and money on a failing school like NYITCOM at ASU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, If you've only been accepted to NYITCOM's Jonesboro campus, do not go. Apply again another year and you can change the entire trajectory of your life with just a little more time and effort. It's just not worth it to waste your time and money on a failing school like NYITCOM at ASU.
I’m what ways is it failing?

I’m what ways is it failing?

Less than desirable faculty support, pitiful student morale, cumbersome access to help/personal connections with pre-clinical faculty, extremely high faculty turnover rates, students not respected by admins, limited options for desirable placement for clerkship sites, very expensive student campus housing with strict rules likened to that of undergraduate dorms (Circle), lack of transparency on passing boards scores by strictly Jonesboro student doctors, lack of student mental health support, lack of student respect/support from OW flagship campus.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Less than desirable faculty support, pitiful student morale, cumbersome access to help/personal connections with pre-clinical faculty, extremely high faculty turnover rates, students not respected by admins, limited options for desirable placement for clerkship sites, very expensive student campus housing with strict rules likened to that of undergraduate dorms (Circle), lack of transparency on passing boards scores by strictly Jonesboro student doctors, lack of student mental health support, lack of student respect/support from OW flagship campus.
This sounds awful... considering not going to my interview in a few weeks now lol

Wondering how I got a promotional email from this school...

This student was apparently dismissed from the NYIT at A state campus. Just clarifying for people perusing threads like I have been.

• Haha
Did anyone that was waitlisted last cycle just never hear back? Wound up going to another school but found it funny I never got an email stating the cycle was over/I was not going to be pulled off the WL.

Posting this here (last year's cycle) in case anyone is also viewing this thread ----

Hey all,

Current student at NYITCOM at Arkansas, and seriously just wanted to say do NOT listen to the user earlier in this thread that is obviously using the school as a scapegoat for his own shortcomings.

I just started in August, but already the faculty here have been very supportive; for one thing, our campus is ~120 students/class and the majority of the professors already know me by my first name and I have had professors email me individually because they felt that I may need extra support. I did not even have to reach out to them - they came to me, which I thought was so nice.

Secondly, I have not yet seen any gunner mentality or competitive environment within my class. On the contrary, I have clicked quickly with most of my classmates and we all seem to have this idea that we are on this boat together. A lot of us share resources and study material in our class facebook/group chats.

I would also disagree with saying that we are not respected by the administration; our class has regular "town hall" meetings with the administration where they sit there and listen to our concerns. I've also heard that NYITCOM has particularly paid close attention to our student body's concerns because we are the relatively newer campus and they want to make sure that we succeed.

Similarly, the class lectures are streamed from both NY and AR (I want to say about 65% of lectures come from NY and 35% com from AR) meaning that because we are learning the same exact material at the same exact time from the same exact professors and taking the same exact exams there should be no difference in average board scores between campuses except for your own individual study habits and factors. The streaming technology is actually pretty good where you can see and hear your instructors very well and each seat has its own microphone where you can ask questions regardless of where the professor is lecturing. All lectures are also recorded and posted online and the majority are nonmandatory. We are a new campus, but not necessarily a new school.

Moreover, this campus has made great strides in its clerkship sites. We have rotation sites in Jonesboro (two large hospitals in town) as well as at hospitals in Fayetville, Little Rock and Memphis. All of our rotation sites/preceptors are thoroughly looked into and approved by our associate deen. Our campus specifically also has a partnership with the Baptist Memorial Health System which allows for students to do their rotations (as well as physician shadowing and mentoring) at any one of its 22 hospitals and then encourages NYITCOM at A-state students to apply at their affiliated residency programs which range from family medicine, internal medicine, radiology, obstetrics and gynecology, surgery, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, pathology, and pulmonary medicine. More info on that here: NYITCOM at Arkansas State – Baptist Memorial Health Care Partnership | Arkansas | NYIT

Also as far as "lack of mental health support" that is straight BS. Our students are offered free support through NYITCOM in OW counselors, we are also offered support at the mental health clinic at St. Bernards, a local hospital in town, AND we are offered free support from the counselors at Arkansas State University. In ADDITION to all of that our campus is currently in the process of hiring its own counselor for the COM. They have made it so accessible to get the right mental health support here.

Finally, the last comment about campus housing - it has been great, and I have no complaints. A-State has four buildings dedicated solely for the medical students at NYITCOM and it is only a short walk to school. The buildings are gated, and from what I believe, very safe. They come in 1-bedroom (~850/mo) or 2-bedroom (~700/mo) with all utilities included. They were just built so everything in there is pretty clean, nice and modern. There have also been no strict rules with this type of housing and you can come and go whenever you like. I come from a large city so finding an apartment that was nice, less than a thousand bucks and within walking distance to school was a no brainer for me; however, I have plenty of friends that live in A-State apartments (Stadium View ~500/mo) or other apartments or even houses in town for very cheap; nothing in Jonesboro is really far from anything and it a very "college-town" which I think is nice.

There was also a post earlier about how NYITCOM-JB is focused on telemedicine which is not wrong; we do have telemedicine workshops (which are cool) but we do also have opportunities for direct patient contact. We have a Delta-Care A Van which you can start participating in the first year of med school, you basically go to different communities and screen patients there. More info on that here: Delta Care-a-van | Arkansas | NYIT

I did not intend to make this a long-winded post but I just wanted to be clear on my views of our school so far and not have someone that is clearly biased deter anyone from coming here. No school is going to be absolutely perfect, but I think they have done a good job here at JB.

I am actually a minority and come from a big city so I put OW on my secondary application last year, but ended up getting picked for JB (and chose it over other schools I was accepted at!) I was hesitant at first, but it has really grown on me and I like it a lot so far.

I do not check SDN often but feel free to message me if you have any questions about this school.

Best of luck

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everybody
I applied to NYITCOM-OW this cycle, and am fortunate to have received an interview invite. The date is in January, I was wondering, would the class be full by then? I know generally DO schools are on a slower cycle than MD schools, but I have heard that UNECOM's class is pretty much full already so I'm worried the same is true for NYCOM.
Is a Jan date for NYITCOM-OW a "valid" date, or is it just interviewing for a spot on the WL?

Thanks in advance,
-mwsapphire

Members don't see this ad :)
The date is in January, I was wondering, would the class be full by then?

Absolutely not, NYITCOM's class doesn't usually reach capacity until late March. Even then, there are some students who are accepted after that. NYITCOM has even accepted students as close as a week prior to classes.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
I interviewed here in January, its been just shy of a month. I know NYITCOM sends an email if you've WL'd or Accepted post-interview, but do they let you know if you've been rejected, or is it a silent R post-interview? I know it's silent before.Just wicked curious over here.

Thanks,
mwsapphire

Hi everyone,
I interviewed here in January, its been just shy of a month. I know NYITCOM sends an email if you've WL'd or Accepted post-interview, but do they let you know if you've been rejected, or is it a silent R post-interview? I know it's silent before.Just wicked curious over here.

Thanks,
mwsapphire
I am a first year student here, I am not sure if they let you know whether or not if you've been rejected but I can ask if you would like.

I am a first year student here, I am not sure if they let you know whether or not if you've been rejected but I can ask if you would like.
That would be cool! Id like to know if WL means something or if they just dump everyone they don't accept onto the WL.Thanku :)

That would be cool! Id like to know if WL means something or if they just dump everyone they don't accept onto the WL.Thanku :)
From what I was told they will let students know if they've been rejected. I was told there's a lot of waitlist movement apparently so people on WL have a high chance of being accepted. Also, what a time to be alive, all classes/labs will be done online until further notice bc of the current epidemic situation.

From what I was told they will let students know if they've been rejected. I was told there's a lot of waitlist movement apparently so people on WL have a high chance of being accepted. Also, what a time to be alive, all classes/labs will be done online until further notice bc of the current epidemic situation.
Thanks man. So WL is an actual good sign :)

*pandemic ;)
and also I would always make plans as if you don't get off just in case, because even though there is "movement" tbh I wouldn't say "high chance" because there are always sooo many people on the waitlist that a vast majority are not moved off... also depends on the year and school, but for most this isn't always the case

*pandemic ;)
and also I would always make plans as if you don't get off just in case, because even though there is "movement" tbh I wouldn't say "high chance" because there are always sooo many people on the waitlist that a vast majority are not moved off... also depends on the year and school, but for most this isn't always the case
Oh ofc. I know. I still havent heard from my state school, but my pt is the WL is not a soft R like some ppl seem to think