2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Just trying to figure out the why essay including "how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?"

I think for this question, it’s best to focus on the Cura Personalis aspect of Georgetown, how the required service and required research will help you, etc.

Hey guys! I'm a little confused about the exact question this prompt is asking:

"Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body."

Can anyone clarify their take on it? Is it just the classic diversity essay, and we can write about anything about ourselves/copy paste our generic diversity essay? Or did you guys write something specific about experiences that tie into "caring for the whole person"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm a little confused about the exact question this prompt is asking:

"Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body."

Can anyone clarify their take on it? Is it just the classic diversity essay, and we can write about anything about ourselves/copy paste our generic diversity essay? Or did you guys write something specific about experiences that tie into "caring for the whole person"?

Diversity + Service

Just submitted and it instantly went under review! Really excited about this one, I think it became my top choice school when I was researching why I'd like to go there.

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted last Friday and had all of my letters into AMCAS by June29 but it still says my letters aren't received. I did get an email from them saying that I don't need to worry and it is an extended process of downloading letters off AMCAS so it is not negatively impacting my secondary, but I haven't been marked under review yet...this is worrying me, should I call?

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted last Friday and had all of my letters into AMCAS by June29 but it still says my letters aren't received. I did get an email from them saying that I don't need to worry and it is an extended process of downloading letters off AMCAS so it is not negatively impacting my secondary, but I haven't been marked under review yet...this is worrying me, should I call?

+1 but submitted 2 weeks ago. This is getting so frustrating :shifty:

Help!!

I just realized I made a stupid mistake on my 1 page Why Georgetown essay (I wrote the acronym of an organization incorrectly), it is too late to do anything after submitting it? Advice on sending an email or calling?

Secondary (finally) submitted! May have gotten a *little* heated about the state of the union in it but it felt very cathartic to put it into words lol

Still waiting for their secondary

Help!!

I just realized I made a stupid mistake on my 1 page Why Georgetown essay (I wrote the acronym of an organization incorrectly), it is too late to do anything after submitting it? Advice on sending an email or calling?

I did something similar and am holding my tongue. They see a ton of mistakes, in your case they might not even notice. I also figure you're applying to an MD program, not an English PhD program... mistakes happen. As long as the content is there, I don't think you should worry.

Help!!

Yeah I wouldn't stress too much about that! I made a typo on my one page essay and just got offered an interview :D :D super psyched but my point is it shouldn't hurt you unless that essay was just riddled with mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I wouldn't stress too much about that! I made a typo on my one page essay and just got offered an interview :D :D super psyced but my point is it shouldn't hurt you unless that essay was just riddled with mistakes.
Were your LORs marked as complete before you got the interview ?

For Ppl who submitted secondaries— FYIbut gtown can be very quick with II’s, or very late. You can get an interview mere days after submitting or in December.

Likewise, if you haven’t received a rejection, you’re still in the running as they are very upfront about rejecting.

Also, don’t worry about minor spelling mistakes or whatever :) Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I wouldn't stress too much about that! I made a typo on my one page essay and just got offered an interview :D :D super psyced but my point is it shouldn't hurt you unless that essay was just riddled with mistakes.
Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

Thank you!! :) I submitted on 7/1 haha I had prewritten their big essay and the little ones were super similar to ones I wrote for other schools :D just needed a little tailoring

Were your LORs marked as complete before you got the interview ?

Yeah I believe they sent me an email that my application was complete a few days after I submitted, but then again I had an LOR writer submit his letter on 7/2 so mine might have taken longer than normal

I know we got that e-mail saying to not worry about LORs, but I submitted on 7/2 and was verified by AMCAS on 6/5 and they're still missing... My writers all submitted before 6/5. Anyone else submit that early and still not have theirs in at Georgetown?

I'm on the same boat, but I heard that they have been downloading the LOR in waves, so its nothing to worry about. I'm sure it won't affect your chances.. And like you said, they did send out the email assuring us

I submitted on 7/1 and my letters also have not been marked as recieved

I believe GW sends secondaries prior to recieving the primary. Anyone got the secondary yet? I haven't added this school yet as I am still waiting on MCAT score.

yes they send an auto secondary once you submit AMCAS

I'm on the same boat, but I heard that they have been downloading the LOR in waves, so its nothing to worry about. I'm sure it won't affect your chances.. And like you said, they did send out the email assuring us

I submitted on 7/1 and my letters also have not been marked as recieved

Ahh this is so annoying since II's are already coming out, but good to know I'm not alone! Thanks guys.

Reactions: 3 users
Do they send II to early decision applicants at this point of the cycle or to anyone?

i submitted my primary on june 19 but i still haven't received a secondary from here, should i be concerned? i know they send secondaries before getting verified so i'm not sure what the delay would be for

i submitted my primary on june 19 but i still haven't received a secondary from here, should i be concerned? i know they send secondaries before getting verified so i'm not sure what the delay would be for
They do not send secondaries before getting verified, that's GW.

It seems like someone submitted 7/1 and already had verified LOR. I submitted 6/30 LOL and still haven't got them marked as received...

Should I call? :/

It seems like someone submitted 7/1 and already had verified LOR. I submitted 6/30 LOL and still haven't got them marked as received...

Should I call? :/
It just takes a while. Give it time. This is what they sent automatically after I submitted.

"
Thank you for your interest in the Georgetown University School of Medicine. Please be aware that once you have submitted your secondary application, it may not be marked as complete right away. This is due to an extended process of downloading your Letters of Recommendation from AMCAS into our system. Please do not worry! There is no need to call our office or email about this issue as it is not negatively impacting your secondary application.

Best regards,
The Office of Admissions"

I received that as well (3 or so weeks after submitting the secondary haha)

Just marked compete

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Just marked compete

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I truly don't understand how they decide who's LORs to download first... I feel like I'm gonna have to call them.

I truly don't understand how they decide who's LORs to download first... I feel like I'm gonna have to call them.
I feel ya, this is very frustrating. I interviewed here last year and I really loved the school, so I was hoping that by submitting on the first day I'd have a better chance at getting the opportunity to interview here again. Now that its approaching late July and I'm still not complete because of my LOR's, I can't help but feel terrible about my chances. I feel like my chances have diminished greatly because my app will just be sitting in a pile of thousands upon thousands of other apps now.

I feel ya, this is very frustrating. I interviewed here last year and I really loved the school, so I was hoping that by submitting on the first day I'd have a better chance at getting the opportunity to interview here again. Now that its approaching late July and I'm still not complete because of my LOR's, I can't help but feel terrible about my chances. I feel like my chances have diminished greatly because my app will just be sitting in a pile of thousands upon thousands of other apps now.
Honestly just feel like someone stole $130 from me XD

Regarding the prompt :"Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?"

I was wondering if I should address my low CARS score? My overall score was a 91th percentile so I made up for the low CARS in my other sections. I'm just scared to point it out in my optional essay and make it a bigger deal than it is. Any advice?

Regarding the prompt :"Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?"

I was wondering if I should address my low CARS score? My overall score was a 91th percentile so I made up for the low CARS in my other sections. I'm just scared to point it out in my optional essay and make it a bigger deal than it is. Any advice?

did you get below a 125? I wouldn't address it unless it was below 124-125

I would go for it.

They are probably going to notice so you aren't going to be "pointing it out", you know? And if you have a reason or a way to explain then I think that is what the extra essay is for.

Does anybody know if they take ITA requests? Not like a "Im gonna be there so plz review fast" but more like a "hey Im gonna be here this day. If you are going to extend an interview before this time, is there any way you could accommodate?" Cuz I know their site says they dont take them if you are asking them to speed uo the review but my interview is in 1.5 months anyways.

Anyone still not verified yet? Submitted late June and letters still showing as not received. Thinking about calling but I don't want to annoy them..

Reactions: 5 users
submitted late june and also letters are not showing as received. does anyone know if they are using the submission date for their queue or is it completion? bc this date almost three weeks later is not on me

submitted late june and also letters are not showing as received. does anyone know if they are using the submission date for their queue or is it completion? bc this date almost three weeks later is not on me

Probably completion since they are already reviewing apps and they will not review apps until all materials are submitted and received.

@Goro @hushcom @gonnif
For the George Washington Prompts:
"What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)"

"What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)"

If any of you wise AdCom types could offer advice. I answered these questions as part of my most meaningful experiences on my primary app. I am not sure if I should elaborate on them, or if I should use another experience? I worry about redundancy. I was thinking about telling a specific story maybe. Thanks so much!
wait... this is Georgetown post, not George Washington though.

I disagree with the other advice. If it’s a 124, they’ll see it but don’t point it out. It’s not necessary and makes it a bigger deal than it really is since most applicants have a lower CARS score than the rest of their sections. Use the space to tell them something else about you that would make them want you. Don’t use the space to give them a reason why they shouldn’t take you.

Anyone still not verified yet? Submitted late June and letters still showing as not received. Thinking about calling but I don't want to annoy them..
same, it is quite annoying...