2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the waitlist yesterday! First acceptance in 2 cycles and I just can't believe it. So happy it's over!
Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone got accepted who are waitlisted in March/early April and in top 1/3 group?

Hi, I just wanted to share that I got accepted off the waitlist from EVMS today (notified via e-mail, no phone call)! Most likely will be withdrawing, but here is some information for future lurkers:

1st time applicant, LM ~70, OOS
I never bothered to call which third on the waitlist I was on LOL.
  • Complete: Aug 2018
  • Update: Nov 2018
  • Interview invite: Dec 2018
  • Interview: mid Jan 2019
  • Waitlisted: Feb 2019
  • Letter of Interest: Mar 2019
  • Accepted: April 24, 2019
Good luck to everyone else in the running!
Would you mind providing your demographics?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope waitlist move faster after 1st May... :)

Reactions: 2 users
Joining DO school is worth if I don’t get into EVMS ?

That's a question only you can really answer. Do you already have a DO acceptance? It's getting much more competitive to get into DO schools and some require DO shadowing as well so it's definitely not a sure thing if you apply DO next cycle.

That's a question only you can really answer. Do you already have a DO acceptance? It's getting much more competitive to get into DO schools and some require DO shadowing as well so it's definitely not a sure thing if you apply DO next cycle.
Yes, I got acceptance into a DO school. But I want to go to EVMS....

Yes, I got acceptance into a DO school. But I want to go to EVMS....

Trust me, I totally get it. You really shouldn't have applied to DO schools though if you weren't willing to attend them if they were your only acceptance. There is also no guarantee that you'll ever receive another acceptance from any school. I'm not saying that your application isn't good, but nobody can predict the future. Also, I'd consider the potential for blacklisting from schools on the basis of turning down an acceptance without a legit reason. Personally, if it was me I'd take the acceptance in your shoes if I didn't get off the waitlist. I also don't know your stats though and if you have like a 3.8 and a 515 then it's probably a different story lol.

so i am at work, bored (instead of studying for exams :) hahaha) ,and i decided to go ahead and read this thread from the very beginning of the cycle. It is so interesting! really opens up your eyes on how far we've come. highly recommend!

Trust me, I totally get it. You really shouldn't have applied to DO schools though if you weren't willing to attend them if they were your only acceptance. There is also no guarantee that you'll ever receive another acceptance from any school. I'm not saying that your application isn't good, but nobody can predict the future. Also, I'd consider the potential for blacklisting from schools on the basis of turning down an acceptance without a legit reason. Personally, if it was me I'd take the acceptance in your shoes if I didn't get off the waitlist. I also don't know your stats though and if you have like a 3.8 and a 515 then it's probably a different story lol.
Thanks for your inputs. My stats 516 and 3.4

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your inputs. My stats 516 and 3.4

Congrats on the awesome MCAT score! That's a tough call tbh, but I'd still probably take the DO acceptance unless you're willing to do a post-bacc to up your GPA some prior to reapplying. Unfortunately, your GPA is a bit on the low side and unless you had an epic upward trend you may run into the same issues if you decide to reapply. Hopefully, that won't even be a concern though because you'll get in off the waitlist! Wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the MIDDLE third of the waitlist!!!
Congrats!! Email or phone call. Stats and demographics (edit: I snooped. 3.5gpa 507 MCAT African American, accepted to multiple schools) ? Also when did you get the notice?

Last edited:
Congrats!! Email or phone call. Stats and demographics (edit: I snooped. 3.5gpa 507 MCAT African American, accepted to multiple schools) ? Also when did you get the notice?
Haha, wow. But thanks! It was an email I got this morning

Thanks. Now I don’t have to check all day. Are you going to accept?
I’m not sure yet. Fortunately I have 7 days so I can have time to factor in a few things, but I definitely loved this school when I visited

Sorry I know this has been asked a million times already but is the school pass/fail?

Congratulations! Can you please share stats?
When did you take your interview and waitlisted?
I interviewed March 8th and was waitlisted a few weeks after. Stats weren’t amazing, 507 MCAT and 3.55 GPA

Ouch ... I guess I should wait then . You mean it took you 22 days since acceptance????

Yup! 22 days after the acceptance comes the login credential for me. It might be different for you though but rest assured it'll be there.

• Wow
5 days here!
hmmm.... maybe i would wait till next monday (it would be 12 days since acceptance) and call them if i dont receive it till then. I do not want to bother them too much, i can only imagine how busy they are, but i just have to get a lot of paperwork together and it takes time. I wanna make sure i am on top of things

hmmm.... maybe i would wait till next monday (it would be 12 days since acceptance) and call them if i dont receive it till then. I do not want to bother them too much, i can only imagine how busy they are, but i just have to get a lot of paperwork together and it takes time. I wanna make sure i am on top of things
This might seem like a dumb thing for me to say, but did you check spam/junk? Another schools first email was from a different email address and went to junk.

Yup! 22 days after the acceptance comes the login credential for me. It might be different for you though but rest assured it'll be there.
How long did it take for you to get an email from certiphi about the background check? I got accepted 2 weeks ago and haven't received anything yet

This might seem like a dumb thing for me to say, but did you check spam/junk? Another schools first email was from a different email address and went to junk.
Yeah , that’s exactly what I thought too ! I’ve been checking spam folder hourly :). I was accepted last Tuesday , so it is probably too early

Is the commit to enroll button under the choose your medical school tool? for some reason I don't have the option to choose CTE yet...
yes, it is there. go to "choose your medical school", then "edit selection", and when you select edit, it will give you an option to choose CTE instead of PTE

yes, it is there. go to "choose your medical school", then "edit selection", and when you select edit, it will give you an option to choose CTE instead of PTE
Yep, figured out that the first time I checked was before 9:30am. Oops!
Officially clicked CTE - can't wait for august!

There is no need to think about hitting "commit to enroll" today if I have already selected "plan to enroll" for EVMS and it is my one acceptance, right?

There is no need to think about hitting "commit to enroll" today if I have already selected "plan to enroll" for EVMS and it is my one acceptance, right?
Right. If you’re still waitlisted somewhere you want to go, you remain PTE, but you’re supposed to be pte for one school only

Before hitting CTE did you withdraw from all the schools you applied to? Or just the ones you were accepted/waitlisted at? The wording on the amcas site is a bit confusing.
Just the ones I was accepted at!

Before hitting CTE did you withdraw from all the schools you applied to? Or just the ones you were accepted/waitlisted at? The wording on the amcas site is a bit confusing.
Since the interview season in my schools is over, i am assuming all of them are rejections. I have already narrowed down to one acceptance a week ago, but after being accepted to EVMS on Tuesday, i immediately notified that school and withdrew. So, as of today i just have the EVMS acceptance and one waitlist. Today after hitting the CTE button for EVMS i emailed the school that i am waitlisted at to ask them to remove me from waitlist.