2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question that I know has been answered a little bit here and there but for current/former students, how early did you apply for housing and are all the best options on Grand Ave basically? (Any complexes you’d recommend in particular?) I know the parking is spotty on campus so being able to walk to campus is key.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question that I know has been answered a little bit here and there but for current/former students, how early did you apply for housing and are all the best options on Grand Ave basically? (Any complexes you’d recommend in particular?) I know the parking is spotty on campus so being able to walk to campus is key.
Walking to campus is absolutely key. Its easy to get around anywhere you want to when you don't have school. It all depends on what you want out of your place I believe they're all on apartments.com and the like. Honestly I'll say 85% of the apartments within 4 blocks are DMU students. I'm on a light week so PM me I guess with specifics

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back today? From pervious posts seems like they send post interview updates on Wednesday’s

Anyone heard back today? From pervious posts seems like they send post interview updates on Wednesday’s

Nothing so far. Kinda surprised because they said we should hear back within 2 weeks too

Nothing so far. Kinda surprised because they said we should hear back within 2 weeks too
Ya they have been pretty consistent Wednesday’s. They also said maybe Thursday in some cases at my interview

Has anyone received a scholarship yet?

I could be wrong, but I believe the vast majority (if not all) of the merit-based scholarships have been handed out. During my interview, I was told that approximately 15-20 first years would receive these. I was also under the impression that they were given out at the time of acceptance (usually earlier in the cycle). I interviewed in October and they said that a good portion of the merit scholarships had already been given out at that point. I think there are more scholarship opportunities on Pulse and for years 2, 3, and 4... but I'm not sure when these are given.

Perhaps a current student could clarify this.

Just received an email putting me on the alternate list.

Does alternate list =waitlist? Some school differentiate between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed Feb 18 and was hoping to hear back yesterday but didn't. anyone else?

I was accepted on Wednesday after 3 weeks of waiting. LizzyM 67. Looks like Wednesdays are the day and a longer wait may not be a bad thing. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed today, thought I would let everyone know that we were told changing to a block schedule is more than likely NOT happening for this years class.

I interviewed today, thought I would let everyone know that we were told changing to a block schedule is more than likely NOT happening for this years class.
Well that's unfortunate, I think....

What the..
Block schedule doesn’t mean much of anything honestly don’t get upset about it. It’s just changing the test structure. Which requires a curriculum alteration that takes a while. You’ll get through it fine just keep your head down and grind we all made it through

Block schedule doesn’t mean much of anything honestly don’t get upset about it. It’s just changing the test structure. Which requires a curriculum alteration that takes a while. You’ll get through it fine just keep your head down and grind we all made it through

Yes I will survive but it’ll be nicer for block.

Yes I will survive but it’ll be nicer for block.

It's really more of a personal preference. I thought I would much prefer a block schedule instead of traditional curriculum, but I came to DMU anyways. Turns out, traditional fits my study style perfectly. I wouldn't do as well with a block schedule looking back, but our current schedule/curriculum allows me a lot of flexibility while still being able to do well enough in classes. Like my esteemed learning colleague said, it's likely not going to be detrimental. If anything, this curriculum is proven and though the schedule sucks sometimes, they at least are pretty effective with it.

Reactions: 1 users
It's really more of a personal preference. I thought I would much prefer a block schedule instead of traditional curriculum, but I came to DMU anyways. Turns out, traditional fits my study style perfectly. I wouldn't do as well with a block schedule looking back, but our current schedule/curriculum allows me a lot of flexibility while still being able to do well enough in classes. Like my esteemed learning colleague said, it's likely not going to be detrimental. If anything, this curriculum is proven and though the schedule sucks sometimes, they at least are pretty effective with it.

So essentially, we have 2-3 exams per week instead of 1 big exam like a block schedule?

So essentially, we have 2-3 exams per week instead of 1 big exam like a block schedule?

Much closer to 1-2 exams per week, and on average it's probably like 1.25 or something. There will be maybe 5 or 6 times in the first two years that there are two exams in a week. We had/have exams like Monday/Friday/Monday/Friday this month and that's about as extreme as it's been second year. There are basically two weeks in first year that blow about that hard, but generally it will be 1/week with other miscellaneous stuff like simulated patient encounters and the occasional week with 2 exams.

^and to add to it. It sounds a lot worse than it is. The exams are usually pretty small in terms of lectures so it isn’t THAT bad. You kinda get in a zone.

Our class averages were like 89s usually (frustrating as hell) but I guess we’re an anomaly with high scoring. Usually averages are like 86s so obviously people get it and do pretty well

^and to add to it. It sounds a lot worse than it is. The exams are usually pretty small in terms of lectures so it isn’t THAT bad. You kinda get in a zone.

Our class averages were like 89s usually (frustrating as hell) but I guess we’re an anomaly with high scoring. Usually averages are like 86s so obviously people get it and do pretty well
how important is it to get A’s in med school? Like does it make a difference in your residency chances?

how important is it to get A’s in med school? Like does it make a difference in your residency chances?
Its obviously important to do well. But at the same time, you learn real quick what your level is. Basically, try to stay out of the bottom quartile. (DMU reports quartiles on MSPE). I've always been told that class rank matters if you're in the top 25%, and the bottom 25%. The middle has such a small deviation that it isn't as big of a factor. All of us were good students to get here. Someone has to be in the bottom half/quartile, etc.

That being said, its all depending on what you want to do. Look at the NRMP program director survey. If you want surgery somewhere, or top places for any specialty, you damn well better be at or near the top. If you want FM/community IM, then just don't fail things and you should be okay. Search on here for relative competitiveness of specialties if you aren't aware of them.

I'm typing all this out because I wish someone would've told me this when I started. I freaked out incessantly about getting certain grades and it drove me insane. I personally don't want to do anything crazy competitive or in competitive locations so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much for me. I'm somewhere in the middle 50% of the class. SDN is notorious for being a neurotic cesspool so be careful on here. It isn't a mirror of the real med school world.

Don't brush off class rank and everything, because having good stats is always better than not, but it isn't something that will make or break you unless you fail a class. Always bust your ass and work hard, but if that puts you at 50th percentile, so be it. Its all about the ROI of putting an extra 15 hours in for that extra 3% to get to a high A, for me it wasn't worth it, but for some it is. If you have specific questions I can try to help

Reactions: 2 users
Timeline is approximately 2022-2023. It will likely not affect the incoming first years, but will be huge for the University.

The move will essentially relocate everything to West Des Moines, just south of the Jordan Creek Mall (huge shopping and dining destination) and really close to the beautiful raccoon river and parks. DMU will build all new facilities that I'm sure are state of the art and extremely innovative, as well as a new clinic. It's all on 90 acres of farm ground that will be incredible. To say I'm jealous to the future classes would be an understatement.

In addition, even while they've announced this, they're still going to continue renovating our current campus, redoing study rooms this upcoming week, renovating one of the auditoriums this summer, and adding new furniture throughout the entire campus. In the clinic, they're adding a behavioral health clinic too. They definitely aren't forgetting about all of us that will be here the next 4 years.

Last edited:
The move will essentially relocate everything to West Des Moines, just south of the Jordan Creek Mall (huge shopping destination) and really close to the beautiful raccoon river and parks. DMU will build all new facilities that I'm sure are state of the art and extremely innovative, as well as a new clinic. It's all on 90 acres of farm ground that will be beautiful. To say I'm jealous to the future classes would be an understatement.

In addition, even while they've announced this, they're still going to continue renovating our current campus, redoing study rooms this upcoming week, renovating one of the auditoriums this summer, and adding new furniture throughout. In the clinic, they're adding a behavioral health clinic too. They definitely aren't forgetting about all of us that will be here the next 4 years.

Haven’t even started yet and I’m already jelly of the new changes. Glad to know dmu is so supportive of current students

Hoping this new project doesn't lead to a larger-than-expected tuition increase.

Hoping this new project doesn't lead to a larger-than-expected tuition increase.

We asked the president that today. She said that there shouldn't be any major changes to tuition. I bet most of it will be purchased with capital funds anyways, from donors and investors.

Overall, I feel like the new campus is a huge pro for DMU.

I could be thinking into this too much (typical neurotic pre-med) but I do have concerns there might be a period of flux while we are on campus - e.g. Equipment being moved from one campus to another, faculty turnover... etc.

Overall, I feel like the new campus is a huge pro for DMU.

I could be thinking into this too much (typical neurotic pre-med) but I do have concerns there might be a period of flux while we are on campus - e.g. Equipment being moved from one campus to another, faculty turnover... etc.

I totally get that concern. That would be super frustrating. From everything they said, it sounds like they'll be putting all new everything in the new building, and that should not take away anything while students are currently using it. The transition point should happen during the summer of 2022 or 2023 so they'll have the time to move while nobody is on campus and transfer everything over. I wouldn't be worried about faculty retention, because the faculty are all super excited about this, especially since it's moving them a ton closer to their homes and families in WDM. A few of our professors even drove around the site last night because they were so excited. In addition, it sounds like they're going to be able to add significantly expanded research, which should bring more faculty on board, and new areas for students to get involved. Finally, they already talked about how they're looking to incorporate new ways for students to learn and creating an environment that is entirely student centered and focused on wellness.

Too bad it won't happen for us, but I imagine a future DMU where you live nearby in brand new apartments, just 400 feet from a nice bike trail that goes along Raccoon River, and not far from the school. We'll have a new 90 acre campus full of trails and exploring, with new facilities (wellness center, cafeteria, classrooms, library, study areas, etc.) that are state of the art. Campus will be less than 5 minutes from all the shopping in the Des Moines Area, including 4 minutes from Costco and grocery stores nearby. It sounds like the area around DMU's new campus will bring tons of restaurants nearby, and attract a new nightlife scene to that area. And to make it even better, DMU will still have the incredibly high quality reputation that it currently has as a top DO school. It will entirely transform the DMU as we know it, and be super fun to see progress.

Reactions: 4 users
When does interview season end at DMU? Hoping they release quartiles to waitlisted folks soon...

When does interview season end at DMU? Hoping they release quartiles to waitlisted folks soon...
I've heard from current students that they received word on waitlist quartiles in the past on or around April 31/May 1.

Well I’m still on their waitlist for an interview........ Is anyone else in this boat?

well i've been on the alternate list since last September hahaha

I totally get that concern. That would be super frustrating. From everything they said, it sounds like they'll be putting all new everything in the new building, and that should not take away anything while students are currently using it. The transition point should happen during the summer of 2022 or 2023 so they'll have the time to move while nobody is on campus and transfer everything over. I wouldn't be worried about faculty retention, because the faculty are all super excited about this, especially since it's moving them a ton closer to their homes and families in WDM. A few of our professors even drove around the site last night because they were so excited. In addition, it sounds like they're going to be able to add significantly expanded research, which should bring more faculty on board, and new areas for students to get involved. Finally, they already talked about how they're looking to incorporate new ways for students to learn and creating an environment that is entirely student centered and focused on wellness.

Too bad it won't happen for us, but I imagine a future DMU where you live nearby in brand new apartments, just 400 feet from a nice bike trail that goes along Raccoon River, and not far from the school. We'll have a new 90 acre campus full of trails and exploring, with new facilities (wellness center, cafeteria, classrooms, library, study areas, etc.) that are state of the art. Campus will be less than 5 minutes from all the shopping in the Des Moines Area, including 4 minutes from Costco and grocery stores nearby. It sounds like the area around DMU's new campus will bring tons of restaurants nearby, and attract a new nightlife scene to that area. And to make it even better, DMU will still have the incredibly high quality reputation that it currently has as a top DO school. It will entirely transform the DMU as we know it, and be super fun to see progress.

My understanding is that we (Class of 2023 DO students) would only spend the first two preclinical years mostly on campus and the last two off campus anyways, so we wouldn't be impacted much at all even if the move starts as early as mid/late 2021 (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Additionally, during my interview just a few months ago, my interviewers cautiously told me that they're planning to open up PhD programs in the upcoming years. They made it sound like the plan had just been finalized, so their info aligns with DMU's plan to expand the campus size and their research as you described.

My understanding is that we (Class of 2023 DO students) would only spend the first two preclinical years mostly on campus and the last two off campus anyways, so we wouldn't be impacted much at all even if the move starts as early as mid/late 2021 (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Additionally, during my interview just a few months ago, my interviewers cautiously told me that they're planning to open up PhD programs in the upcoming years. They made it sound like the plan had just been finalized, so their info aligns with DMU's plan to expand the campus size and their research as you described.

You're correct- the first class this would truly affect would either be the class of 2024 or 2025. I don't think the PhD programs have been solidified yet, but with an expanded campus I'm 100% sure they'll add more academic programs. Sounds like potentially OT, and I know they've talked about a a few PhD programs. However, I don't think those will get started until they have expanded space on the new campus (I may be wrong on that one though).

You're correct- the first class this would truly affect would either be the class of 2024 or 2025. I don't think the PhD programs have been solidified yet, but with an expanded campus I'm 100% sure they'll add more academic programs. Sounds like potentially OT, and I know they've talked about a a few PhD programs. However, I don't think those will get started until they have expanded space on the new campus (I may be wrong on that one though).
Yes, they won't start any of these programs before moving and settling.

If I recall correctly, they said to email them if we haven't heard back post-II if it's been more than 2 weeks right? Wondering if it's worth sending them an email tonight inquiring about my status, especially since my deposit at another school is due on Friday...

If I recall correctly, they said to email them if we haven't heard back post-II if it's been more than 2 weeks right? Wondering if it's worth sending them an email tonight inquiring about my status, especially since my deposit at another school is due on Friday...
I would shoot them an email. I interviewed on a Friday and found out a week and a half later on a Wednesday so you should have heard back by now.