2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! How did your interview go, if you don't mind me asking?

It was great, everyone was very friendly and was easy to talk to. Definitely a load of presentations and waiting tho.

Members don't see this ad.

It was great, everyone was very friendly and was easy to talk to. Definitely a load of presentations and waiting tho.

How did you like the MMI's? Fairly manageable? Great to hear about the welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure, lots of presentations and waiting haha.

How did you like the MMI's? Fairly manageable? Great to hear about the welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure, lots of presentations and waiting haha.

You get 2 MMI and its fairly short. Honestly I don't know how I feel about the MMI since it was my first one and I'm not sure how I did on it because they give you almost no feedback. Apparently, they have the top national Comlex 2 PE scores and their patient simulations are top notch, so you can assume how the MMI should go. I just youtube'd some very generic MMI situations but other than that I wouldn't really suggest "practicing" for it because you really can't. However, I feel I did better on the panel, since all the other schools do panel interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back from 02/15 interviews. Waiting is so hard.

Reactions: 1 user
same here! has anyone heard back from 2/15? and if they only give out responses on thursdays?

My friend found out last Thursday and her last name is B. She found out last Thursday when she got an email saying that her portal had been updated. So yeah, I'm thinking we're gonna find out soon.

I interviewed on 2/15 and haven't heard anything yet. And my last name starts with a B. I am so nervous lol, I just wanna know lol

While almost 200/240 seats have been already filled and everyone is commenting about their final decisions coming out, I wait in despair for an interview. What a great feeling.

While almost 200/240 seats have been already filled and everyone is commenting about their final decisions coming out, I wait in despair for an interview. What a great feeling.
How do you know 200/240 seats are filled?

Same, I thought I was the only one getting radio silence from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted :):):):) I interviewed 2/15 in the blue group, red suit if anyone was there haha. Good luck to everyone else!

Does anyone know when the deposit is due? My thing says March 8 at 9 pm. But that is today, and I just got accepted 10 mins ago so I feel like that is wrong...

Reactions: 4 users
Any international students applying/attending here?

I was just accepted :):):):) I interviewed 2/15 in the blue group, red suit if anyone was there haha. Good luck to everyone else!

Does anyone know when the deposit is due? My thing says March 8 at 9 pm. But that is today, and I just got accepted 10 mins ago so I feel like that is wrong...

Omg congrats!!!!!!! Did you get notified by email? Ive been refreshing my email every 10 mins today... ugh why they gotta do us like this

Reactions: 1 users

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Accepted from blue group on 2/15 as well!

Good luck to all.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted from blue group on 2/15 as well!

Good luck to all.
congrats! I'm interviewing next week. I wonder how many people are there during the interview day? Are you guys divided into different groups?

Just received an II today. Anyone know if the class is full? Prefer not to spend a couple hundred dollars to interview for a waitlist position...

Just received an II today. Anyone know if the class is full? Prefer not to spend a couple hundred dollars to interview for a waitlist position...

Same! Would love to find this info to see if we're just interviewing for the waitlist

Any current students able to comment on the DO/MSHS combined program? Just accepted here and really interested in this program; they say it helps with residency placement?

Same! Would love to find this info to see if we're just interviewing for the waitlist
They interview you means they consider you. Every school tries to select the most qualified students. You have to ask yourself how much do you like WesternU COMP and how does it compare to the ones accepted you. I spent travel money on other schools and finally paid WesternU deposit in November. Now, I settled on the WesternU after rejected by my own school.

No
Omg congrats!!!!!!! Did you get notified by email? Ive been refreshing my email every 10 mins today... ugh why they gotta do us like this
Notified via email. You could be in the half of our interview group that won’t be discussed in the committee til next week. So I would freak out over it :)

Would you mind sharing your stats?
Out of state, 505, 3.6, published research paper, lots of research, lots of shadowing

Also I think it helped a lot that I got along AMAZINGLY with my two interviewers. Like i could feel they loved me and I loved them

congrats! I'm interviewing next week. I wonder how many people are there during the interview day? Are you guys divided into different groups?
So there was like 80 people on my day. They split you into four groups that are all different colors. They literally don’t mean anything, it’s just a way to split people up and make it easier to move people to the different parts of the interview. Good luck!

No

Notified via email. You could be in the half of our interview group that won’t be discussed in the committee til next week. So I would freak out over it :)

Shouldn’t today be the last day to be notified for 2/15?! It’s been 3 weeks and people heard back last week too!

Shouldn’t today be the last day to be notified for 2/15?! It’s been 3 weeks and people heard back last week too!
I feel like the other schools have been running behind in letting people know. Don’t worry about thgh

I have never refreshed my email this much in a day before lmao I hope we hear back by today! One girl I kept in contact with in my group (green) got accepted yesterday.

Last edited:
To everyone who interviewed on 2/15 and still hasn’t heard back, I called Admissions just a few minutes ago to ask if they were releasing them today, and Martha said that they are delayed and expected to update them sometime on Tuesday! Figured I’d share that info to everyone else who is draining their phone battery from email refreshing. Enjoy your weekend!

To everyone who interviewed on 2/15 and still hasn’t heard back, I called Admissions just a few minutes ago to ask if they were releasing them today, and Martha said that they are delayed and expected to update them sometime on Tuesday! Figured I’d share that info to everyone else who is draining their phone battery from email refreshing. Enjoy your weekend!

Oh man.....another 4 days of waiting =(

Does interview day actually go until 2:00pm? And about how long did it take you to get through security at Ontario International Airport? I booked an outgoing flight that departs at 4:10pm and wondering if I just screwed myself over...

Can students bring luggage to the interview?

EDIT: How is the UBER service around here?

Last edited:
Any current students able to comment on the DO/MSHS combined program? Just accepted here and really interested in this program; they say it helps with residency placement?

I respectfully disagree that the masters program is worth it and to substantiate that, I will point you towards the residency program director survey (just google, "residency program director survey"). Per the survey, board scores >>> LOR > dean's letter > grades in clerkships > personal statement > class rank > perceived committment to specialty > leadership qualities > audition rotation > consistency of grades > AOA (honors) membership > other life experience.

As you can see, basically everything ranks above, "other life experience," which is where I would slot the extra degree. Perhaps you could get a minor boost in your deans' letter or a mildly better personal statement, but I'm not convinced it's worth your time.

Also, the value of a degree is often correlated with the prestige of the granting instutition. While I think that people do respect western's DO program, I'm not sure how people view its other programs. It is well known that there exist post-bac programs around the country that exist for the purpose of boosting med school applicants' numbers. In other words, it could very well be seen as a med school stepping stone, not a residency stepping stone.

All of that said, if you need a booster year to reacclimate yourself to academics, that doesn't seem like a bad option. But if you're solely concerned about residency placement, skip the extra degree and just kill boards.

(my 2 cents as first year. Grain of salt and all that because.., again.., i'm a first year. To my credit though, I regularly browse /r/medschool and infrequently browse sdn and this seems to be the often touted advice by the upperclassmen, so it's not completely out of thin air that I conjure this up.)

Reactions: 2 users
Does interview day actually go until 2:00pm? And about how long did it take you to get through security at Ontario International Airport? I booked an outgoing flight that departs at 4:10pm and wondering if I just screwed myself over...

If I recall correctly, my interview date ended closer to 2:30ish-3pm.....Even with CLEAR or TSA precheck, it would be pushing it for a 4:10pm departure. I mean, I think they board 40 min before take off? and I'm assuming it'll take you AT LEAST 20-30 min to get there from Pomona. I would reschedule if you can for a later flight....but then the last hour or so was just more of the orientation so I'm sure you'd be able to leave early? I'd check with admin on this...

Did anyone call the school to see when the deposit is due for those accepted from the 2/15 interview? I don't think the current date of 3/8/18 is correct since thats the same day some decisions came out and at the interview, they said we will get 2 weeks to reply.

Did anyone call the school to see when the deposit is due for those accepted from the 2/15 interview? I don't think the current date of 3/8/18 is correct since thats the same day some decisions came out and at the interview, they said we will get 2 weeks to reply.
I freaked out over this but you are able to accept it immediately and not pay the deposit. You can accept the offer and still wait two weeks to pay.

It said on mine it's due the 22nd of this month

anyone from 2/15 interview heard back yet? ._.

Anyone know if we're actually going to hear back today??