2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt you do. I received a secondary with <3.3 sGPA.

There are specific reasons why you may have been allowed to go forward with numbers less than a 3.3. Among those might be a better than class average MCAT, a graduate degree, etc.

There are specific reasons why you may have been allowed to go forward with numbers less than a 3.3. Among those might be a better than class average MCAT, a graduate degree, etc.

A graduate degree... like I have! It's all good. I got secondaries from every other school (22). Just thought this was odd.

Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.

Yup. You are still being reviewed. they haven't sent emails for interview (not as far as for me) so it's still very early

Reactions: 1 user
Just logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):

Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.

Did you get an email saying you had a status update?

Did you get an email saying you had a status update?

Nope (which is weird cause I thought they said they would send email updates when are status changes). I just logged-in and saw that message

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with the rest of your cycle! I was complete around your time, so I'm nervous now haha

It's ok, I enjoy paying money to be told I'm not loved

What did your service profile look like? This is an area that can be problematic for some applicants, particularly if they don't have a good non-clinical service profile.

What did your service profile look like? This is an area that can be problematic for some applicants, particularly if they don't have a good non-clinical service profile.

So I graduated back in 2011. From 2005-2011 I had a ton of volunteering stuff (like 500+ hours worth) doing hospital volunteering and visiting a nursing home weekly to visit people. Then I started a PhD program, so my hours are more limited. I did some service stuff from 2013-2014 (like 40 hours worth) doing food bank/soup kitchen volunteering, and then have been doing hospice volunteering from early 2016-present.

NO news is good news! Just checked the portal and I'm still not rejected:nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I graduated back in 2011. From 2005-2011 I had a ton of volunteering stuff (like 500+ hours worth) doing hospital volunteering and visiting a nursing home weekly to visit people. Then I started a PhD program, so my hours are more limited. I did some service stuff from 2013-2014 (like 40 hours worth) doing food bank/soup kitchen volunteering, and then have been doing hospice volunteering from early 2016-present.
Do not underestimate the value of longitudinal commitment to a non-clinical service endeavor.

Do not underestimate the value of longitudinal commitment to a non-clinical service endeavor.

Oh no doubt! I just wanted to try various areas of service to see what areas grab my interest (also, the fact of researching 60 hrs/week + 20 hrs/week of teaching takes up a ton of time that I had volunteering opportunities working around my schedule).

Just logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):

Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.

Sorry to hear that! It sounds like you have good chances elsewhere though! Can I ask when you were complete? Trying to figure out where I am in there stack right now.

Sorry to hear that! It sounds like you have good chances elsewhere though! Can I ask when you were complete? Trying to figure out where I am in there stack right now.

Nevermind haha I am an idiot and just saw you submitted 7/13

Complete 7/12 and still no change... I just want to know if I have a shot or not so I can stop obsessing :p

No change either. I'm not fmstat so that could affect it.

Anyone else submit MDPHD? That's definitely why i got a secondary OOS tbh. 3.38 cgpa, 3.18 sgpa, 518 with decent EC's but nothing crazy bc still a college junior
Edit: a senior now

Mine says:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

????

Mine says:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

????
Man, that's the most ambiguous one I've seen. Doesn't tell you anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.

I'm similar. Completed 7/7, same "committee will now do a review" status. I'm IS with higher GPA but lower MCAT. Some people who submitted after us seem to have already received IIs and rejections, so to my thinking we're still in the running but not first round picks? Fingers crossed dude!

Man, that's the most ambiguous one I've seen. Doesn't tell you anything.
As you progress through the tiered process of review, your file will be binned and held at certain points. Your message indicates you have reached the terminal point of file review. Depending upon your score, you may or may not receive an interview. Given the message you received, it seems likely you are an out-of-state resident. VCU typically interviews ~635 people, so interview slots will be filled with applicants as they are available and in conjunction with their file review scores.

As you progress through the tiered process of review, your file will be binned and held at certain points. Your message indicates you have reached the terminal point of file review. Depending upon your score, you may or may not receive an interview. Given the message you received, it seems likely you are an out-of-state resident. VCU typically interviews ~635 people, so interview slots will be filled with applicants as they are available and in conjunction with their file review scores.

Hello Dean Mission,

What about my message,

"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date"

Does this mean I'm definitely getting an interview or still on some kind of hold?

Hello Dean Mission,

What about my message,

"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date"

Does this mean I'm definitely getting an interview or still on some kind of hold?
File review scores for in-state residents that are good enough will receive an automatic interview. I suspect you are an in-state resident. I would expect to hear something soon.

Also, everybody else has that little blurb about reasons an application might be on hold under their status message right? Mine says it's complete and "to be reviewed" but the thing afterward about apps on hold for MCAT or pending courses has me a bit spooked

File review scores for in-state residents that are good enough will receive an automatic interview. I suspect you are an in-state resident. I would expect to hear something soon.
Wait if our residence is noted on AMCAS as Virginia we are automatically considered in state, right?

I'm actually not. I'm out of state. That's one of the reasons I am wondering.

Also, everybody else has that little blurb about reasons an application might be on hold under their status message right? Mine says it's complete and "to be reviewed" but the thing afterward about apps on hold for MCAT or pending courses has me a bit spooked
You have not been file reviewed yet. You are still in the preliminary stages if your message says you are "to be reviewed."

I'm actually not. I'm out of state.
I'm not entirely familiar with the verbiage of every message that is sent out; however, this early in the season, as an out-of-stater, you should still secure an interview slot.
Interviews will begin in late-August, so invites are already going out.

I'm not entirely familiar with the verbiage of every message that is sent out; however, this early in the season, as an out-of-stater, you should still secure an interview slot.
Interviews will begin in late-August, so invites are already going out.

Okay. Thank you for your response. I will wait for an invite then. Admissions seems to be interested but I think my out of state status is holding me back for now. Hope there's an invite for me soon :D

I'm IS and sent my verified AMCAS app 7/18, but have not yet received any verification/correspondence from VCU... Shouldn't I at least receive an email that they got my app?

You have not been file reviewed yet. You are still in the preliminary stages if your message says you are "to be reviewed."
I'd guess so...I'm not sure why though, I submitted 7/7 with all my letters already in. Curious if I'm being held for something but I suppose all I can do is be patient! Thanks for your help!

Congrats! Did you find out over email, portal, or did they call you?

I'm out of country, so I'm not sure if I received a call or not, but I felt like checking th portal after notifications from this portal were blowing up my alerts and lo and behold, a new tab popped up to schedule an interview!

I submitted this baby 7/6. No update besides your file is now under review. What is the method to their madness?

I submitted this baby 7/6. No update besides your file is now under review. What is the method to their madness?
There is a pile of probably 1,000 secondary applications or more that need to be looked at before they are allowed to be file reviewed. Usually, secondary applications will be ranked and then placed into separate piles that need to be file reviewed. Since file reviews take a long time to do, you can imagine that the ranking system expedites the files that are exceptionally promising. In some cases, file reviews will take place very quickly. In other cases, it may be until the new year or beyond before a particular application is looked at intensely. It is a numbers game, and there are only so many eyes to read the applications.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a pile of probably 1,000 secondary applications or more that need to be looked at before they are allowed to be file reviewed. Usually, secondary applications will be ranked and then placed into separate piles that need to be file reviewed. Since file reviews take a long time to do, you can imagine that the ranking system expedites the files that are exceptionally promising. In some cases, file reviews will take place very quickly. In other cases, it may be until the new year or beyond before a particular application is looked at intensely. It is a numbers game, and there are only so many eyes to read the applications.

I'm probably not at the top of the pile then LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II sometime yesterday. I did not receive an email for the invite, just noticed the schedule interview tab on my portal. I originally had the "very interested in your candidacy" status.

Reactions: 1 users
Ouch, I got pre-screened! First rejection always stings.

Best of luck to everybody this cycle! :)

Reactions: 4 users