2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you all for the reply!
Edit: I got an email today informing me I can proceed!
Does that mean I have a decent shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you all for the reply!
Edit: I got an email today informing me I can proceed!
Does that mean I have a decent shot?
It just means you passed the initial screening and you may now complete the secondary. That's all it means. Nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps you do have a decent shot. Just do your best and see what happens!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I pre-screened out. Pretty average stats (506 MCAT, 3.40 UGPA, 3.62 in my bioethics MA program at Wake Forest), but I'm a non-traditional (philosophy, history, Latin American Studies), in-state, older student (28 yo) and have 2000 hours of shadowing and clinical research experience, 600 unique patient encounters as an oncology research coordinator here at UVA, a year of service work in Latin America, extensive social science research work, several hundred hospital volunteer hours around Charlottesville, three presentations at a national bioethics conference, and I'm a gay, first-gen college grad.

I definitely was a little disappointed, but I know you can't win them all. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
To put some data in perspective, VCU SOM has about 9,500-10,000 applicants each year. About 1/3 are invited to complete a secondary (~3,000) and about 1,000 are invited to interview. In-staters tend to have a better shot, as about 500 interviews are given to in-state students (out of the ~1,200 in-staters that submit an initial application). From there, slightly less than 400 offers of admission are given in total.

This info comes from what I was told during my interview in the fall 2016 and the sources below:

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/media/medschool/documents/2015-2016ExecutiveSummary8-11-16FINAL.pdf

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/63/Virginia-Commonwealth-University-School-of-Medicine

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else also having trouble logging in? I have reset my password twice and then when I log out and try to log in again it won't let me.

Is anyone else also having trouble logging in? I have reset my password twice and then when I log out and try to log in again it won't let me.

Had this issue as well, this is what I found out a while back:

Update on the portal log in issues, in case anyone else is having the same problem: I talked to someone on the phone, and it turns out that passwords need to be 10 characters or less, and can only include numbers or letters. If the password you choose is too long or has invalid characters, you won't get an error when you set it, but you won't be able to use it to log in. Now that I've set a password within those parameters, everything works fine! The admissions folks were super helpful, and it sounds like they're trying to get these instructions added to the portal for the future.

9,500-10,000 applicants each year. About 1/3 are invited to complete a secondary (~3,000) and about 1,000 are invited to interview.

If this is true, this makes me much happier about getting invited to complete a secondary as an OOS applicant. Who's with me?

Reactions: 19 users
Anybody here have really strong state ties but did not voice it on the secondary? I am a military kid, that was born and lived in Virginia, but I am now in the midwest. I haven't been rejected yet and I completed my application 7/7 so I was hoping my strong ties could bump me over.

Does this school do silent rejections?
I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...

I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...
It's been a couple of weeks at most, and they get 10,000+ applications. Be patient. I'm sure you'll hear back soon.

I pre-screened out. Pretty average stats (506 MCAT, 3.40 UGPA, 3.62 in my bioethics MA program at Wake Forest), but I'm a non-traditional (philosophy, history, Latin American Studies), in-state, older student (28 yo) and have 2000 hours of shadowing and clinical research experience, 600 unique patient encounters as an oncology research coordinator here at UVA, a year of service work in Latin America, extensive social science research work, several hundred hospital volunteer hours around Charlottesville, three presentations at a national bioethics conference, and I'm a gay, first-gen college grad.

I definitely was a little disappointed, but I know you can't win them all. Good luck everyone!
What was your science GPA?? If what you say is true, then I would place money on your science GPA being lower than is required.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming admissions for fmSTAT and the SoM are separate decisions?

did you apply fmSTAT?

Yes, I'm interviewing at both fmSTAT and regular SoM. I'm assuming it's based on a decision by the SoM and then, if accepted, I'll have a subsequent decision by fmSTAT

Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...

"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

Sounds like a pre-interview hold

Jk. It's been addressed.

When were you complete?

Does anyone know how I should notify them of state ties? They've said not to call and stress on their website to only give updates at their request.

Nix that. I read the whole thing. No updates on my app yet :/

Does anyone know how I should notify them of state ties? They've said not to call and stress on their website to only give updates at their request.
There is no mechanism to indicate this above and beyond your personal statement, your past institutions, and your potential legacy status. Apart from that, you can make your Virginia state ties known at a potential interview.

Hey guys I had a quick question about whether you think I satisfy the pre-req requirements. So I used AP credit for General bio 1, gen chem 1, calc 1, calc 2, and an english class. The general bio 1 and gen chem 1 that I got credit for have labs within them. The VCU pre-req website says that they accept AP credit but that lab credit will still be required. Would my lab credit that was part of the classes I got AP credit still satisfy that requirement? Also, I have advanced biology coursework beyond general bio, do you think that would satisfy the biology pre-req?

Hey guys I had a quick question about whether you think I satisfy the pre-req requirements. So I used AP credit for General bio 1, gen chem 1, calc 1, calc 2, and an english class. The general bio 1 and gen chem 1 that I got credit for have labs within them. The VCU pre-req website says that they accept AP credit but that lab credit will still be required. Would my lab credit that was part of the classes I got AP credit still satisfy that requirement? Also, I have advanced biology coursework beyond general bio, do you think that would satisfy the biology pre-req?

Emailing them would give you a more accurate answer than any of us could provide.

When did you submit your secondary?

When did you submit your secondary?

I got an email from them about status change on my application on July 12th (which was just an update on my secondary receipt). I think I submitted on the 11th though.

Did you apply to fmSTAT or just the regular program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just regular. Was there an extra essay or something for the fmstat or did we just have an option for this? I cant remember exactly (which i should lol)

For this question:

Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)

Does this include time taken off after undergraduate to work a job and go to grad school? The second part suggests yes, but it's not a "lapse in my undergraduate education" as the first part prompts us to do.
What's the character limit on this?

Just regular. Was there an extra essay or something for the fmstat or did we just have an option for this? I cant remember exactly (which i should lol)

If you ranked FM #1 on your desired specialty then you had the option to apply for fmSTAT and do two other essays

If you ranked FM #1 on your desired specialty then you had the option to apply for fmSTAT and do two other essays

I've always wanted to be a family practitioner, so I applied for fmSTAT. I have been wondering: does applying for fmSTAT lend leniency to some of the stats? I don't have a great MCAT score, but I have a passion to practice FM. Hope they see that, but I'm not sure it will make a big enough difference.

Does anyone have VCU SOM's email? Or know how I can send updated info? I don't see a place for it on the portal.

Does anyone have VCU SOM's email? Or know how I can send updated info? I don't see a place for it on the portal.

I'm pretty sure they don't accept updates unless specifically requested.

Submitted! Hoping my hometown gives me some love :)

Just submitted too, so appreciate a break from the cookie cutter secondary questions

If you still haven't heard anything try checking the actual portal if you haven't done so already. I got invited to complete a secondary. Never got the email for it, but it was updated in my portal!

Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.

Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.
I am in the same boat with similar stats.

Just logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):

Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.

Just logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):

Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.
Call them and demand a refund