2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a nice call today. II! OOS 4.0, 509(unbalanced). Good E.C's. FM stat applicant. You guys can do it!
That's awesome, congrats! I can't believe they're already starting invites :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Got a nice call today. II! OOS 4.0, 509(unbalanced). Good E.C's. FM stat applicant. You guys can do it!

Congrats! When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Was rejected today as well. OOS, 511 MCAT (balanced), 3.7 GPA. I have 500+ hours of hospital and clinical work, and 1200+ hours of research. Hoping to have better luck elsewhere, but congrats to everyone who gets IIs! I'm rooting for you :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. Congrats to everyone who has received an interview invite so far! I'm a recently accepted student, so if anyone has any questions about the application process feel free to ask or PM

Just finished writing a draft for the secondary prompt. No idea if I'm doing this correctly

Oh geez! They're calling people already?!? I'm so nervous!

I feel like they putting a lot of weight on that secondary, thats how they rejecting so fast. That prompt is trickier than you think in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like they putting a lot of weight on that secondary, thats how they rejecting so fast. That prompt is trickier than you think in my opinion
Tbh, I was as honest and true to my values in the prompt as possible. If they don't like what I have to say, then perhaps a rejection is for the better.

Reactions: 6 users
The prompt can definitely be tricky if you forget the context of what your position in the situation is as a volunteer premed at the clinic because that highly limits what you can do without seeking the healthcare professional's help in the clinic.

Based on last year's thread, those who apply FMstat got interview invites sooner because a different set of family practice doctors review their applications. The first batch of interview invites for the rest of us came out in the middle of August.

I applied FMstat lolz oh well, maybe I'll get picked up for the regular program

Last edited:
The prompt can definitely be tricky if you forget the context of what your position in the situation is as a volunteer premed at the clinic because that highly limits what you can do without seeking the healthcare professional's help in the clinic.
Yeah, your authority is limited for sure. But I was pretty honest and said that in the extremely unlikely event nobody does anything, I would do it myself or else she will literally die. Which perhaps is a terrible answer from their eyes, but hey, if they don't like it they can reject me.

Yeah, your authority is limited for sure. But I was pretty honest and said that in the extremely unlikely event nobody does anything, I would do it myself or else she will literally die. Which perhaps is a terrible answer from their eyes, but hey, if they don't like it they can reject me.

I completely agree with you in a situation like that the person really needs to know no matter what. If the physician is truly following Amercian medical ethics then the physician would intervene and correct the situation as needed, but sometimes that may not happen unfortunately

Reactions: 1 users
I completely agree with you in a situation like that the person really needs to know no matter what. If the physician is truly following Amercian medical ethics then the physician would intervene and correct the situation as needed, but sometimes that may not happen unfortunately

So basically, we need future docs that give a ****

I actually had a very similar situation happen to me as a volunteer not exactly but similar. I wasn't going to have any of that bs and told the doctor.

I actually had a very similar situation happen to me as a volunteer not exactly but similar. I wasn't going to have any of that bs and told the doctor.
Same. Tossed in a low-key brag about working with immigrant populations while answer the q hahaha

Oh my god. Your stats are awesome though!
Yield protection. They figured he/she would matriculate elsewhere. This is a rare case where URM can hurt an app bc some schools figured with those numbers and a URM tag they stay in state or go to a higher ranked school

Last edited:
Are we supposed to get a confirmation email after we submit? I didn't get anything.

Are we supposed to get a confirmation email after we submit? I didn't get anything.
I submitted yesterday and did not get a confirmation email. I think it is supposed to take 48 hours or something.

Do what yourself? Tell her she has cancer? I was going to go with the approach that, as a premed volunteer just taking a history, I wouldn't be making or giving any diagnoses anyway. The son's concern doesn't even really make sense in context, and I'm not sure whether we're meant to address that.

Hopefully this is a case where, as long as we sound like thoughtful and responsible people who care about patient autonomy, we are good. We'll see I guess!

Secondary complete and now under review by the sub-committee!!!

Do what yourself? Tell her she has cancer? I was going to go with the approach that, as a premed volunteer just taking a history, I wouldn't be making or giving any diagnoses anyway. The son's concern doesn't even really make sense in context, and I'm not sure whether we're meant to address that.

Hopefully this is a case where, as long as we sound like thoughtful and responsible people who care about patient autonomy, we are good. We'll see I guess!
I feel like this question wasn't phrased the best way and I was confused. I actually talked a little about being a volunteer and what I would do but discussed more what I would do as a doctor because I feel like as a volunteer you really can't do much.

Yeah, and that's a valid approach. It's just not what I would do in real life. If nobody wants to tell her she has cancer, she is going to die. And I, in good conscious, would not let that stand even if it means surpassing the boundaries imposed upon me by my position. Probably not the answer they want but yolo. Standing by my values

If I haven't even received a secondary yet, can I assume that I have been rejected?
Relax, we're less than 2 weeks into the cycle. Until you receive something that says you've been rejected, you're still in it :)

For this question:

Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)

Does this include time taken off after undergraduate to work a job and go to grad school? The second part suggests yes, but it's not a "lapse in my undergraduate education" as the first part prompts us to do.

For this question:

Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)

Does this include time taken off after undergraduate to work a job and go to grad school? The second part suggests yes, but it's not a "lapse in my undergraduate education" as the first part prompts us to do.
Yes, a lapse could either be a result of poor grades or simply an interval of time between undergrad & med school, which applies to you.

I was reading through the admissions requirements (Admissions Requirements - MD Program Admissions - VCU School of Medicine) and the hours requirements caught my eye.

It says 200 hours of volunteering over the past 4 years...does that mean non-clinical only or clinical and non-clinical combined? Its confusing because they list the volunteering separately from the clinical experience, but my clinical experience is also my volunteering (hospital volunteering). I don't have that many non-clinical hours. Anyone have any thoughts?

What could be causing these quick rejections? If someone was complete a week ago and has not been rejected yet, does that mean they are probably on the good side...or just maybe that they haven't gotten to their app yet?

I would say that they just haven't gotten to their app yet. Regarding the cause, perhaps its the secondaries?

I was reading through the admissions requirements (Admissions Requirements - MD Program Admissions - VCU School of Medicine) and the hours requirements caught my eye.

It says 200 hours of volunteering over the past 4 years...does that mean non-clinical only or clinical and non-clinical combined? Its confusing because they list the volunteering separately from the clinical experience, but my clinical experience is also my volunteering (hospital volunteering). I don't have that many non-clinical hours. Anyone have any thoughts?

Service can be divided up into different components, clinical and non-clinical. Clinical service is not considered shadowing, observation, or exposure. Non-clinical service will carry more weight than clinical service.

Does anyone else think that the "(you may seek help to answer this question)" is begging us to actually look into some bioethics so that we can consider all aspects of the case?

Also, If I'm taking a gap year, but also have a very compelling reason for my grades to suck one semester, can I used one paragraph each to explain that? or should I stick to one?

Last edited:
Also, If I'm taking a gap year, but also have a very compelling reason for my grades to suck one semester, can I used one paragraph each to explain that? or should I stick to one?
I think you could mention each -- maybe drop a sentence in between to bridge them, if you're nervous about it.

Does anyone else think that the "(you may seek help to answer this question)" is begging us to actually look into some bioethics so that we can consider all aspects of the case?

Yes.

[removed] -- turns out I was confused about nothing and I'll be getting an II when one opens up, per the portal update. FMstat app complete 7/9 - 7/12.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
App status changed to:

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Not sure if I should be excited, disappointed, or indifferent
That means you have an interview. Congrats.

Sent you an email or just in the portal? Congrats

Portal update and email saying I had a change in my application status. Any change to your portal will result in an email letting you know!

Hi,
I'm a little bit confused with the secondary application.
I received an email to access the VCU portal around 10 days ago. As I entered, the first page says
"Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will begin the process of evaluation. There will be a preliminary review of your application prior to receipt of a supplemental application. Please be aware that all applicants are not invited to complete a supplemental application. You may check the status of your application at any point during this process using the applicant website. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing of your application."
However, on the tabs on the side under "main menu", I am also able to click on the supplemental app and start writing.

What does this mean?!

Hi,
I received an email to access the VCU portal around 10 days ago. As I entered, the first page says
"Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will begin the process of evaluation. There will be a preliminary review of your application prior to receipt of a supplemental application. Please be aware that all applicants are not invited to complete a supplemental application. You may check the status of your application at any point during this process using the applicant website. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing of your application."
However, on the tabs on the side under "main menu", I am also able to click on the supplemental app and start writing.

What does this mean?!

It means you passed the screen and were given the app but they haven't updated your status yet

You can start

Hi,

What does this mean?!

Not all applications will get a secondary. If you go through a pre-screen, your application may get delayed by a week or two, but they are just ensuring you will be competitive upon a closer examination. VCU won't take your money by asking for a secondary application unless you are minimally qualified.