2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch, I got pre-screened! First rejection always stings.

Best of luck to everybody this cycle! :)
You are still in the game my friend

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received for all my lower stats!
OOS Nontrad 3.5 GPA 500 MCAT

Secondary received for all my lower stats!
OOS Nontrad 3.5 GPA 500 MCAT

Wow really? I thought their minimum screen was 503! This is surprising to me, but congrats! Did they place you on hold for a new mcat score? Also, are you URM by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch, I got pre-screened! First rejection always stings.

Best of luck to everybody this cycle! :)

When did you get the very interested status change after submission? Mine is still "ready for review"

When did you get the very interested status change after submission? Mine is still "ready for review"

I only received an email from VCU today, and my status was a rejection.

Last edited:
I once received an email from VCU today, and my status was a rejection.
Hmm hopefully that's not the case with me. I got the email about 30 minutes ago, but I'm at the gym, so I can't log in and view everything. As to a previous question, I am URM but I'm also a reapplicant with hella clinical experience, so perhaps that played a role

Hmm hopefully that's not the case with me. I got the email about 30 minutes ago, but I'm at the gym, so I can't log in and view everything. As to a previous question, I am URM but I'm also a reapplicant with hella clinical experience, so perhaps that played a role

When were you complete?

Wow really? I thought their minimum screen was 503! This is surprising to me, but congrats! Did they place you on hold for a new mcat score? Also, are you URM by any chance?
There are no special circumstances that are offered URM candidates in lieu of foundational academic credentials. Unless there are unusually mitigating circumstances, the minimum MCAT score is 503.

There are no special circumstances that are offered URM candidates for foundational academic credentials. Unless there are unusually mitigating circumstances, the minimum MCAT score is 503.
Can confirm, when I had my meeting with Whitehurst-Cooke she said 503 was the minimum across the board for everyone, including URM's

LOL nvm, just checked the email at home. Got the big R
Interesting how they make you go through so much work, just to reject you.

Sorry to hear that. At least you know :(

I sent my secondary 7/12 and still waiting, it's killing me

Application complete on the 7th and it still says that it's under review. I don't know how to feel about this. Well... except anxious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Application put on hold. Does this mean rejected or will they review my app at a later time?

Nope (which is weird cause I thought they said they would send email updates when are status changes). I just logged-in and saw that message
Did you select 2017 or 2018 for the year (not sure which since this cycle is technically both) because I tried with my AMCAS ID and birthdate and it still didn't work.

For anyone who hasn't seen my post at the start of this thread, I'm an M2 at VCU and am happy to answer any questions about the school, application process or general med school questions. PM me if you want to ask anything. Good luck with interviews!

Application put on hold. Does this mean rejected or will they review my app at a later time?
Your application is on hold for one of two reasons. Either you have indicated you will be taking the MCAT and the scores have not yet come back, or your grades from a summer session have not yet been released. A hold is in no way indicative of good or bad, it just means more information is needed before your application can proceed.

Last edited:
Rejected :(. Got an email at 4:32 AM saying portal was updated. I was expecting to get at least and interview here. IS, 3.46 cgpa, 3.82 sgpa, and 508 MCAT.

Rejected :(. Got an email at 4:32 AM saying portal was updated. I was expecting to get at least and interview here. IS, 3.46 cgpa, 3.82 sgpa, and 508 MCAT.
Sorry to hear that :/ don't fret. It's still super duper early! Mind if I ask your complete date?

Sorry to hear that :/ don't fret. It's still super duper early! Mind if I ask your complete date?
VCU is a state school. There is a natural preference to prioritize applicants that are from Virginia first. This time of year it is probably 3:1, in terms of applications that are handled from applicants that are in-state vs. out-of-state. Thus, applicants that are not from Virginia may have to wait for what seems like a tortuously long time, but all applications will be dealt with in due time.

Reactions: 1 users
II!! OOS

Just checked the portal bc someone noted here that their status changed as well. No email or anything though....but regardless, very excited!

Reactions: 6 users
I wish more schools were this transparent.

Last edited:
VCU is a state school. There is a natural preference to prioritize applicants that are from Virginia first. This time of year it is probably 3:1, in terms of applications that are handled from applicants that are in-state vs. out-of-state. Thus, applicants that are not from Virginia may have to wait for what seems like a tortuously long time, but all applications will be dealt with in due time.
Dean Mission maybe you can answer this. I was born in Chesapeake VA but moved away because of my Dad's military career. I lived in VA periodically throughout my childhood and I love the area. As an OOS would this help me or does it not matter? Because it isn't very apparent that I have ties with VA on my primary or secondary.

Dean Mission maybe you can answer this. I was born in Chesapeake VA but moved away because of my Dad's military career. I lived in VA periodically throughout my childhood and I love the area. As an OOS would this help me or does it not matter? Because it isn't very apparent that I have ties with VA on my primary or secondary.
Unless you are a VCU legacy, it is difficult overtly establish ties to Virginia on your application in a way that will stand out. If you went to high school in Virginia, that will show up on your AMCAS info if you entered it. Beyond that, your personal statement can mention your ties to Virginia and your experiences can also establish activity in the state. That is about all you can do on paper. If you get through the screening process and interview, you can certainly make it known that you are a former (and intend to be a future) Virginian. VCU is very receptive to that type of situation, especially as a "military brat."

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you are a VCU legacy, it is difficult overtly establish ties to Virginia on your application in a way that will stand out. If you went to high school in Virginia, that will show up on your AMCAS info if you entered it. Beyond that, your personal statement can mention your ties to Virginia and your experiences can also establish activity in the state. That is about all you can do on paper. If you get through the screening process and interview, you can certainly make it known that you are a former (and intend to be a future) Virginian. VCU is very receptive to that type of situation, especially as a "military brat."
I just want to take a minute to say 'Thank you' for being so active on this thread and giving applicants a window into what is happening. I wish more schools would follow your lead on this front. Its awesome.

Reactions: 12 users
I just want to take a minute to say 'Thank you' for being so active on this thread and giving applicants a window into what is happening. I wish more schools would follow your lead on this front. Its awesome.
I was going to say the same! Thank you!

I don't have an answer to your question but I couldn't help but respond that I'm Chesapeake born and bred as well! Best of luck!

I don't have an answer to your question but I couldn't help but respond that I'm Chesapeake born and bred as well! Best of luck!
Awesome, thank you and to you as well! Yeah talk about the best striper fishing! I need to get back there!

Is it still only 1/3 of applicants who get secondaries? Seems like the majority of people on this thread have received one

Is it still only 1/3 of applicants who get secondaries? Seems like the majority of people on this thread have received one
Probably some sort of sampling bias. It may be that only those that receive a secondary are the ones that feel like posting.

II!! OOS

Just checked the portal bc someone noted here that their status changed as well. No email or anything though....but regardless, very excited!

Sorry if this has been asked... but when did you submit your secondary? I'm OOS, complete 7/12 or 7/13 (too lazy to check) and still waiting the sub-committee review or w/e

Sorry if this has been asked... but when did you submit your secondary? I'm OOS, complete 7/12 or 7/13 (too lazy to check) and still waiting the sub-committee review or w/e

I had a very fast turnaround. 7/12 is when I submitted my secondary and the week after that my status changed to stating that the committee is very interested in my candidacy etc. And then checked today and had a tab for scheduling an interview.

Got the one update:
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Is there any consensus on this status? Since it's only July 27th should I anticipate an interview or should I assume it's still up in the air? I am really hoping to interview here and am trying to hold back my excitement until i know my interview is secured but any idea of what this status means?

Hi everyone - not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I'm missing something big and my application is still not complete.

I got the status change email after I submitted my secondary on 7/17. I logged in today to check the status of my application and it still says: "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete. For those applicants who are not citizens of the US or Canada, must submit an electronic copy of your Green Card using the “applicant portal” before a full review can proceed. Your application will then be forwarded to the subcommittee for review. Please be aware that it may take up to 4-6 weeks for processing."

Is it odd that I haven't gotten an update saying it was complete? I paid the fee and my committee letter was sent to AMCAS. Does it not send another update until its under review? I'm just really worried I am missing something and my application isn't complete due to something on my end! I'd love any help!
I think you should email admissions

Hi everyone - not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I'm missing something big and my application is still not complete.

I got the status change email after I submitted my secondary on 7/17. I logged in today to check the status of my application and it still says: "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete. For those applicants who are not citizens of the US or Canada, must submit an electronic copy of your Green Card using the “applicant portal” before a full review can proceed. Your application will then be forwarded to the subcommittee for review. Please be aware that it may take up to 4-6 weeks for processing."

Is it odd that I haven't gotten an update saying it was complete? I paid the fee and my committee letter was sent to AMCAS. Does it not send another update until its under review? I'm just really worried I am missing something and my application isn't complete due to something on my end! I'd love any help!
That is the message everyone will have on their portal once their Supplemental Application is received but not yet in the hopper for subcommittee review. You have paid? You have released letters?

It is my pleasure.

Got the one update:
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Is there any consensus on this status? Since it's only July 27th should I anticipate an interview or should I assume it's still up in the air? I am really hoping to interview here and am trying to hold back my excitement until i know my interview is secured but any idea of what this status means?

I had this status last week and now II :D

You have an interview (most likely). You might not receive an email (because I didn't) so just keep checking your portal everyday. Curious to know when your interview will be so update me lol. GL

I had this status last week and now II :D

You have an interview (most likely). You might not receive an email (because I didn't) so just keep checking your portal everyday. Curious to know when your interview will be so update me lol. GL

Wow congrats!

I keep checking the portal but I still have the message that they've reviewed my file and will grant me an interview if they want (assuming I'm on re-review). Any idea when they re-review? Would it be after the first round of interviews?

Wow congrats!

I keep checking the portal but I still have the message that they've reviewed my file and will grant me an interview if they want (assuming I'm on re-review). Any idea when they re-review? Would it be after the first round of interviews?

if you have the same message as the other guy (and as me) then you should expect an interview. I'm not admissions committee so I can't guarantee anything but I would assume so. Until you have a tab to schedule an interview, just hope for the best. You are definitely in the game though so I wouldn't worry too much

Hello and thank you for your response! I ended up emailing the VCU Office of Admissions, who let me know that VCU had not received my letters yet. However, AMCAS has confirmed that it received my committee letter, and this is the only school I have heard about this being a problem at - every other school I applied to has me marked as complete/confirmed letter receipt.

Has anyone else had this problem? I emailed the Office of Admissions back and have tried calling but I'm not very hopeful I will hear anything back soon as its a Friday afternoon.

My friend had this happen last year and VCU had somehow lost her LOE. They're open for call-ins1-4p (maybe 5p?), so I'd go straight to the source and ask VCU. Otherwise, you can call AMCAS and see about having it sent to VCU again or something.

Woo! My first interview invite! Also no email, just happened to check the portal.

Reactions: 2 users