2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+5 since 7/24. They seem to not be reading apps entirely based on order of submission... :'(
+6 since foreverrrr

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody should be worried about the availability of/number of remaining interviews at this point in time.

I received my interview invite on January 26th for January 28th, though I ended up rescheduling mine to the following weekend. I understand the application cycle is terribly stressful throughout the year, but there are still plenty of doors open for interviewees. =]

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody should be worried about the availability of/number of remaining interviews at this point in time.

I received my interview invite on January 26th for January 28th, though I ended up rescheduling mine to the following weekend. I understand the application cycle is terribly stressful throughout the year, but there are still plenty of doors open for interviewees. =]

If you don't mind us asking, were you accepted? I think we're all nervous b/c we've been conditioned to believe late interview = lower chance of acceptance.

Hm...the earliest date that shows up on my portal currently is January 17th..all the way to late February. Perhaps as interview dates get closer and spots are not filled there may be late interview invites.

+5 since 7/24. They seem to not be reading apps entirely based on order of submission... :'(
Applications are dealt with at the subcommittee level based on order received, with the exception of in-state/out-of-state status. File reviews, which are what lead to interview invites, are not handled in order received; rather, they are prioritized at the subcommittee level.

Applications are dealt with at the subcommittee level based on order received, with the exception of in-state/out-of-state status. File reviews, which are what lead to interview invites, are not handled in order received; rather, they are prioritized at the subcommittee level.

Thank you for the information! So will we receive a portal change when our application has been reviewed by the subcommittee and prioritized for a file review?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your portal status should change from something like "Subcommittee will do a review" to something similar to "Subcommittee review completed."

If you don't mind us asking, were you accepted? I think we're all nervous b/c we've been conditioned to believe late interview = lower chance of acceptance.
Yep! My class had its first exam on Tuesday this past week, and there were two others from my interview group (that I know of -- haven't met everyone in the class yet) that also made it in.

Hi, @Dean Mission! Thanks for being an insightful presence in this forum. Would you be able to tell us how many interview spots are still available at this point? I know around mid-August you said there were about 450 left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, @Dean Mission! Thanks for being an insightful presence in this forum. Would you be able to tell us how many interview spots are still available at this point? I know around mid-August you said there were about 450 left.
320 people have been invited thus far -- probably 340 or so left.

Reactions: 5 users
320 people have been invited thus far -- probably 340 or so left.

Thank you for answering our questions! By any chance would you be able to let us know that if the dates for the interview matter? I know people got August dates but I got a January one so I wasn't sure if it was a negative sign.

Received the secondary sometime recently!

Thank you for answering our questions! By any chance would you be able to let us know that if the dates for the interview matter? I know people got August dates but I got a January one so I wasn't sure if it was a negative sign.
Someone earlier said they interviewed in January and matriculated. I don't think it matters, don't let that bother you! Just rock your interview, that's all you can do :)

Reactions: 1 users
Worry about things you can change, instead of those things out of your control. This year a student received an invitation to join the incoming class the day medical school started; one minute they were not in med school, the next they were....and with a scholarship too, since they were the last one in.

Reactions: 8 users
Any current students care to share their favorite parts of VCU?

After looking a bit through the website/MSAR, the curriculum, project HEART, and the I2CRP clerkships seem pretty cool. Also, Richmond seems like a pretty cool place in general.

After looking a bit through the website/MSAR, the curriculum, project HEART, and the I2CRP clerkships seem pretty cool. Also, Richmond seems like a pretty cool place in general.

Went to VCU for undergrad and have many current M1 and M2 friends there. Can confirm, Richmond is a really cool place. It's super artsy and very hipster in certain places. There's always fun stuff to do in and around the city (great food, festivals, hiking, white water rafting, vibrant nightlife, etc.). As for the school, there's TONS of study space on the MCV campus and undergrad campus. The med school building itself is pretty nice and high tech. My friends are pretty content there haha.

@Dean Mission Would you happen to know if those that completed the post-bacc program at VCU are looked at differently? Students that successfully complete the program apparently receive a guaranteed interview. Does the rough estimate of interviews left you gave include these students, or are they considered differently? Thank you!
I believe you are speaking of CERT, which is a graduate-level program, not postbac. And, yes, successful graduates of that program are looked at very favorably. All of them have already been interviewed, or are scheduled to do so

Went to VCU for undergrad and have many current M1 and M2 friends there. Can confirm, Richmond is a really cool place. It's super artsy and very hipster in certain places. There's always fun stuff to do in and around the city (great food, festivals, hiking, white water rafting, vibrant nightlife, etc.). As for the school, there's TONS of study space on the MCV campus and undergrad campus. The med school building itself is pretty nice and high tech. My friends are pretty content there haha.

Have they mentioned anything else about MCV specifically?

I can't quite speak to everything you've mentioned in your post, but Richmond is a great place to be. I feel like I've been more social in the past several weeks than I was in all of college; you can go hiking, white water rafting, rock climbing, and rec leagues if you're interested in the outdoors; there are dozens of breweries across the city if that's what you're interested in; and music and visual arts both thrive here. I've only been here a month so I can't really speak to everything Richmond has to offer, but I can tell you the food is great.

Project HEART is pretty nice - we get a core group of 7-9 M1s under a faculty member, and we talk about how med school is going and what we want to do in the future. I know my advisor's hosting a get together this Friday, and he's cooking for our whole group while socializing. Thus far he's given valuable advice for how to manage time and how he's gotten to where he is now, as well as recommendations for places around Richmond to try. That's my personal experience, but I do know it varies from group to group.

Insofar as i2crp is concerned, I can't tell you very much because I'm an M1. I'm most certainly applying for it, as working with underserved populations is of significant interest to me, but they aren't making selections for the next month or two. From what I've heard from M2s and M3s, you get ample opportunities to work with urban and rural communities, and you have a few extra classes and clinical opportunities sprinkled throughout the curriculum.

The curriculum is interesting, as the basic pre-clinical and clinical science is condensed into 18 months. It's fast-paced, and there are various classes in addition to basic science that take place in afternoons. As someone who came in with very little applied clinical experience (i.e. I haven't been an EMT or scribe), VCU gets you working with standardized patients multiple times in the first month. I've stumbled over my words repeatedly during medical interviews (just as an example), and I'm glad that I can get feedback and practice for the first time now rather than in a real clinic. Beyond that, there are small groups you participate in that give you practice time for your clinical skills while being taught by a doc and M4 (something I'm a very big fan of, as my group faculty member is wonderful). There are a few new bells and whistles for our class that weren't around for even last year's class, and like many medical schools they're very good at taking student feedback into account.

If you have any questions about something specific, shoot me a message/post here and I'd be happy to answer. =]

I can't quite speak to everything you've mentioned in your post, but Richmond is a great place to be. I feel like I've been more social in the past several weeks than I was in all of college; you can go hiking, white water rafting, rock climbing, and rec leagues if you're interested in the outdoors; there are dozens of breweries across the city if that's what you're interested in; and music and visual arts both thrive here. I've only been here a month so I can't really speak to everything Richmond has to offer, but I can tell you the food is great.

Project HEART is pretty nice - we get a core group of 7-9 M1s under a faculty member, and we talk about how med school is going and what we want to do in the future. I know my advisor's hosting a get together this Friday, and he's cooking for our whole group while socializing. Thus far he's given valuable advice for how to manage time and how he's gotten to where he is now, as well as recommendations for places around Richmond to try. That's my personal experience, but I do know it varies from group to group.

Insofar as i2crp is concerned, I can't tell you very much because I'm an M1. I'm most certainly applying for it, as working with underserved populations is of significant interest to me, but they aren't making selections for the next month or two. From what I've heard from M2s and M3s, you get ample opportunities to work with urban and rural communities, and you have a few extra classes and clinical opportunities sprinkled throughout the curriculum.

The curriculum is interesting, as the basic pre-clinical and clinical science is condensed into 18 months. It's fast-paced, and there are various classes in addition to basic science that take place in afternoons. As someone who came in with very little applied clinical experience (i.e. I haven't been an EMT or scribe), VCU gets you working with standardized patients multiple times in the first month. I've stumbled over my words repeatedly during medical interviews (just as an example), and I'm glad that I can get feedback and practice for the first time now rather than in a real clinic. Beyond that, there are small groups you participate in that give you practice time for your clinical skills while being taught by a doc and M4 (something I'm a very big fan of, as my group faculty member is wonderful). There are a few new bells and whistles for our class that weren't around for even last year's class, and like many medical schools they're very good at taking student feedback into account.

If you have any questions about something specific, shoot me a message/post here and I'd be happy to answer. =]

Thanks for the detailed response! MSAR shows that learning is a 50/50 split between lecture and small group learning. However, I'm curious if the small group learning is for the basic pre-clinical material, "extra" classes, or a hybrid between the two.

One last question: I see that there's dedicated time to study for Step 1 and people take it around April/May. Is this something that interested you in the curriculum? Also, have the M3/M4s who have passed that stage had good things to say about the current setup?

One last question: I see that there's dedicated time to study for Step 1 and people take it around April/May. Is this something that interested you in the curriculum? Also, have the M3/M4s who have passed that stage had good things to say about the current setup?
M2Bs get two months to study, in January and February. The exam is generally taken in March if you attend VCU. M3 begins in April.

Thanks for the detailed response! MSAR shows that learning is a 50/50 split between lecture and small group learning. However, I'm curious if the small group learning is for the basic pre-clinical material, "extra" classes, or a hybrid between the two.

Non-lecture learning is split between team-based learning, small-group learning, flipped classroom, simulation (e.g. of outpatient visits), and solving clinical cases. For small-group learning, we're put into several different groups; these separate groups are intended for practice of clinical skills (both technical and interpersonal), mid-lecture activities, and advising (to an extent), among other things. For example, this past Friday, a small group of mine conducted a medical interview, made a differential diagnosis, and ran tests through a case study system to help us narrow our search to a single diagnosis using those test results.

"Extra" classes mentioned on the curriculum are either very hands-on or are taught in a lecture fashion -- for example, epidemiology may be primarily taught through lectures, while PCM is primarily technical and interpersonal skills practice. PCM does have a lecture here and there, but it's almost always followed by a relevant clinical skills session (or two!).

And yeah, for Step study time and M3 start, Dean Mission is correct. I like the amount of time VCU provides for studying for Step 1, and they also provide for personalized scheduling/allotment of study time with an adviser prior to M2Bs' January study start time. I don't know many M4s (aside from those directly involved in teaching), but the M3s I've spoken to really seemed to appreciate the plan VCU laid out for them.

Last edited:
@Dean Mission
What should we expect from the "
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

status? I have noticed this is different from the "very interested" status but it is not a rejection either, does this mean we have been passed over for an interview at this time, or are ranked below the applicants you're currently sending interview invites to?

@Dean Mission
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

status? I have noticed this is different from the "very interested" status but it is not a rejection either, does this mean we have been passed over for an interview at this time, or are ranked below the applicants you're currently sending interview invites to?

+1

@Dean Mission

It means your file review score may or may not be in the invitation range. Unfortunately, there is no way to know; file review priority scores drift as the season progresses and interview slots become limiting. Your residency status may also come into play. Plenty of interviewees originally receive the message you have.

Did anyone have trouble with the app adding an extra apostrophe after the ones you write in your essays? I put my essays into a program that un-formats everything before copying and pasting them into the text box... but the app keeps adding an extra one anyway?

It means your file review score may or may not be in the invitation range. Unfortunately, there is no way to know; file review priority scores drift as the season progresses and interview slots become limiting. Your residency status may also come into play. Plenty of interviewees originally receive the message you have.

Dean Mission,

You had mentioned 340 or so interview slots left, how many students is VCU planning to accept out of the 660 interviews being offered for this year?

Also, do you roughly know how many OOS students get accepted out of the ones that are interviewed?

Dean mission,

When should one expect a re-review after receiving the complete but no interview yet message?

Dean Mission,

You had mentioned 340 or so interview slots left, how many students is VCU planning to accept out of the 660 interviews being offered for this year?

Also, do you roughly know how many OOS students get accepted out of the ones that are interviewed?
That is not information I'm at liberty to discuss, since I don't believe that it is publicly available. Suffice to say, the selectivity is focused at VCU moreso than at many other institutions, so the percentage of those accepting the offer is fairly high.

Dean mission,

When should one expect a re-review after receiving the complete but no interview yet message?
Your score and profile are constantly reassessed and prioritized. For some, that may mean a quick turnaround that results in an interview; others may need to wait until early March.

Last year VCU interviewed 964 applicants. So looks like they've changed their screening process if they're planning to interview ~660 applicants?

II! Complete early July. Had the very interested for about a month. Cant wait to interview here

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone gotten II following this update: Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Has anyone gotten II following this update: Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

From what Dean Mission has been saying, this status could mean a multitude of things, possibly including a future II. I had this status last cycle and was ultimately rejected pre-II, but other people got II's from it.

SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED! II this morning! had the "very interested" status for 3 weeks and finally pulled through :)

Reactions: 5 users
Last year VCU interviewed 964 applicants. So looks like they've changed their screening process if they're planning to interview ~660 applicants?
Not certain where you are getting your numbers, but the 964 number you state is incorrect; it may have been the interview number from the 2016 cycle two years ago. Last year, 637 applicants were interviewed to fill a class of 216. This cycle, ~600 people will interview to fill a class of 184. Thus far, 57 applicants have interviewed, 370 have been invited.

Not certain where you are getting your numbers, but the 964 number you state is incorrect; it may have been the interview number from the 2016 cycle two years ago. Last year, 637 applicants were interviewed to fill a class of 216. This cycle, ~600 people will interview to fill a class of 184. Thus far, 57 applicants have interviewed, 370 have been invited.
do you know how many they accepted last year out of the 637 who interviewed

Just got this update this morning:
"
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in late-March), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Please refrain from contacting the Admissions Office. We thank you for your interest in our school."

I vaguely remember at the interview they mentioned that everyone is placed on hold before the first acceptance date and it doesn't actually mean anything (also found this in previous threads), but was really hoping someone could explain exactly what this means because I am panicking!

Just got this update this morning:
"
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in late-March), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Please refrain from contacting the Admissions Office. We thank you for your interest in our school."

I vaguely remember at the interview they mentioned that everyone is placed on hold before the first acceptance date and it doesn't actually mean anything (also found this in previous threads), but was really hoping someone could explain exactly what this means because I am panicking!

I have no background here, but I think it means they'll let you know around October 16 whether it's Accept/waitlist/the other thing! That's cool they give you the dates. Good luck, hope it's an accept!

To anyone who is from the DMV area: I have a flight arriving late at night before my interview and have a hotel I'll be staying at near IAD. My plan was to get a rental car and drive to Richmond the morning of my interview, but I just learned that Enterprise only allows those ages 25 and up to rent a car. Any ideas on how to get to Richmond on a Saturday morning using public transportation? Or does anyone know of another rental service that will allow me to rent a car for the day. Thanks!

GOT AN II!!! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE. I checked the portal and saw an interview tab though my status still said:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application.

Reactions: 11 users
To anyone who is from the DMV area: I have a flight arriving late at night before my interview and have a hotel I'll be staying at near IAD. My plan was to get a rental car and drive to Richmond the morning of my interview, but I just learned that Enterprise only allows those ages 25 and up to rent a car. Any ideas on how to get to Richmond on a Saturday morning using public transportation? Or does anyone know of another rental service that will allow me to rent a car for the day. Thanks!

Are you sure about this? I've never tried to rent a car in the DMV area, but I've rented from enterprise in other states while under 25. They usually just add an additional "young driver fee"