2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing your stats and when you were complete?
Not at all. Instate reapplicant. MCAT: 520. cGPA: 3.93. sGPA: 4.0. MPH in addition to Bachelors.
Completed 08/09.

Reactions: 1 user
Not at all. Instate reapplicant. MCAT: 520. cGPA: 3.93. sGPA: 4.0. MPH in addition to Bachelors.
Completed 08/09.
They're yield protecting you, your stats are damn high for VCU. You'll have more love at UVA.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what are peoples thoughts on being a 3.3 uGrad, 3.9 Grad, OOS, 512 MCAT complete on July 7th, and still have the "subcommittee will now do a review..." status on the portal. Its been almost two months! sheesh. :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
So what are peoples thoughts on being a 3.3 uGrad, 3.9 Grad, OOS, 512 MCAT complete on July 7th, and still have the "subcommittee will now do a review..." status on the portal. Its been almost two months! sheesh. :dead:
+1 except submitted 7/12, OOS and slightly higher stats.. I guess we don't deserve to be looked at just yet.

Not sure if I posted here yet that I got a II a few weeks back. Posting to get updates.

II earlier this week! OOS fmSTAT applicant for anyone interested. They gave me a choice of dates to choose from since they're coordinating fmSTAT interviews with the VCUSOM ones.

I actually don't think VCU does yield protection...their admissions representative denied it at open house many times @Dean Mission did they change this policy?

Could be that they missed the mark on answering the secondary? Will let you know though bc I have a similar LM and am still under review :oops:

Not an admissions rep, but I don't think VCU uses yield protection. They certainly didn't in my case or many other cases where they could have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woke up this morning to Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Really don't know what to think of it.

Woke up this morning to Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the general concencus is that this is the "hold" status. However, I received an interview invite after having this status for about 2 weeks, so I wouldn't view it as a bad thing. Just we've reviewed your file and put you in this pile for a bit to think about it further.

I believe were on hold.

I was complete around 7/10 and had that message until last Thursday. No warning, they just sent an email at 7 PM saying I got an interview. It basically means you've been placed in a pile for re-review.
Keep your heads up!

I was complete around 7/10 and had that message until last Thursday. No warning, they just sent an email at 7 PM saying I got an interview. It basically means you've been placed in a pile for re-review.
Keep your heads up!
@Dean Mission can you confirm this is what it is?

@Dean Mission can you confirm this is what it is?
There is no re-review of files that have already been scored. The scores received are associated with priority assessments for interview slots, particularly early on.

Has anyone else gotten this message?
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

Did anyone else's portal update with the following?

Please note that your file may be put on hold for the following reasons:
Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.

Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.

whats your mcat score?

Your file is now in review. Another week maybe

how do we send updates to this school? do we just email admissions?

No change in status so far. Complete 7/31. OOS.

Reactions: 2 users

If your application does not have one of those two circumstances, you should call the Admissions Office.

If your application does not have one of those two circumstances, you should call the Admissions Office.

I am hesitant to call because of the bolded:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

I met Dr. Whitehurst-Cook before during an admissions fair at my school. She gave me her email. Should I email her instead? Thanks.

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

I met Dr. Whitehurst-Cook before during an admissions fair at my school. She gave me her email. Should I email her instead? Thanks.
yeah mine is the same thing

I wouldn't call about that. They receive many applications and I think it just takes them a while to review everyone's file. I've been complete since 07/12 and have the same status as you.

Your application is not on hold with that message and there is no need to contact anyone.

Just received this message " Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Is this a kind way to reject me? I checked the portal and no interview invite

Just received this message " Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

This means that they have reviewed your application and have already ranked you comparing with others. Looking above, some applicants with II had received this message first.

When did you submit and when were you complete?

If I were you, I would've been in contact with Dr. Cook and would've emailed her updating about my application. I don't know why you haven't been. Networks count. Just sayinnn....

Not to imply that its a determining factor and I'm not a VCU student but just my thoughts.....

(i had met with someone from another med school who gave me their email. I was updating that person the whole time I was applying and received an early interview myself at that same school -- networks. they count. You gotta play the game to win it.)

Last edited:
If I were you, I would've been in contact with Dr. Cook and would've emailed her updating about my application. I don't know why you haven't been. Networks count. Just sayinnn....

Not to imply that its a determining factor and I'm not a VCU student but just my thoughts.....

(i had met with someone from another med school who gave me their email. I was updating that person the whole time I was applying and received an early interview myself at that same school -- networks. they count. You gotta play the game to win it.)
The Sub-Committee pile is 2000 strong at this point. Files will be handled in an expeditious manner, but with a pile that large it is usually weeks to months, rather than days.

The Sub-Committee pile is 2000 strong at this point. Files will be handled in an expeditious manner, but with a pile that large it is usually weeks to months, rather than days.

Thank you for the info!! I wish more schools had a representative on SDN. Helps ease the neurotic nature of premeds and probably reduces the number of phone calls their office gets.

II here end of Sept. late post. kinda getting used to sdn lol.

submitted July 12. II 2 weeks after

Reactions: 2 users