2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a FYI to all of you who will interview. The information on the website is wrong regarding the timing of the questions. Each MMI question is 6 minutes in length, with the first being 12, not 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a FYI to all of you who will interview. The information on the website is wrong regarding the timing of the questions. Each MMI question is 6 minutes in length, with the first being 12, not 15.

From my interview on Tuesday, we were given 2 minutes to read each prompt, 14 minutes to do the traditional interview, and 7 minutes to do the other scenarios.

From my interview on Tuesday, we were given 2 minutes to read each prompt, 14 minutes to do the traditional interview, and 7 minutes to do the other scenarios.

Interesting. I interviewed Saturday, and they asked to provide feedback so may be they changed the time for you guys? The 6 minutes flew by for us.

Interesting. I interviewed Saturday, and they asked to provide feedback so may be they changed the time for you guys? The 6 minutes flew by for us.

That seems likely. 7 minutes felt like the perfect amount of time, so definitely appreciate your feedback!

You are incorrect. The questions this year are 14 and 7 minutes in duration; there has been no adjustment to any times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone having a hard time logging in? When i login it gives me an error page

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I am an M2 here and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions about MCV, student life, richmond, application processes...really anything. PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck!!

Hey all, I am an M2 here and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions about MCV, student life, richmond, application processes...really anything. PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck!!
How screwed am I if I submit my secondary on Monday? Am I considered really late?

How screwed am I if I submit my secondary on Monday? Am I considered really late?

As you know, there are a lot of factors involved in deciding who gets an interview. Rapid turn around on secondaries is only part of it. If you have strong stats and stand out among the crowd, I don't see why you wouldn't get an interview offer, you may just need to wait until later in the cycle. They interview well into the spring semester...plenty of time!

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, but like someone else mentioned there's a lot of factors. You could receive an interview in a month or in several. It's just a waiting game at this point.

do you guys know exactly how this whole process works in terms of rank score, then file review, then interview invite, etc.?

I was verified last thursday... VCU said they got my receipt friday... How long will it take me to get rejected from the preliminary screen? This wait is killing me...

What is the best way to update the school about additions to my application like getting a new job for the upcoming year?

Rejected yesterday. OOS with no ties, complete 7/17, LM 70.

Good luck everyone!

Scheduled an interview after getting the very interested status last week!

Got my first rejection.... It stings... But I knew it was going to happen. Good luck everyone!!!

This means that they have reviewed your application and have already ranked you comparing with others. Looking above, some applicants with II had received this message first.
I'm guessing it's like a step below "very interested".
The 'very interested' are on deck, you're in the hole, the rest of the apps are on the bench in the dugout.

Can someone explain yield protecting to me please? Sorry for the ignorance...:(

Ahhh this makes sense. I have heard of this occurring but was unaware there was a term for it. Thanks for the clarification!

II invite but all for Jan & later. Is that true for other people too?

So for all the people as neurotic as me...

I'm IS. Undergrad gpa 3.47, grad gpa 4.0, MCAT 509-511. Doing a SMP right now. I have some okay ECs I think hahaha. Had the File Review is now complete since I completed ~7/8ish, no change (not even now)... randomly got an email at 7 PM tonight.

May I ask what interview slots you were offered? Not sure if all the early ones are just filled up or it's a priority thing?

II invite but all for Jan & later. Is that true for other people too?
January?? That's insane. I haven't seen interviews that late on any thread. The latest is November at this point.

May I ask what interview slots you were offered? Not sure if all the early ones are just filled up or it's a priority thing?

So what had happened:
I got an email on Thursday night (8/24) and offered interview slots for Saturday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I took the Tuesday (8/29) interview date.
Everyone who showed up on Tuesday was in-state/Maryland. I think that they hadn't originally planned for an interview that Tuesday, but wanted to try filling up the slots so they contacted people nearby to see if they could make it. I obviously don't know this for sure, but that's the idea we all got.

January?? That's insane. I haven't seen interviews that late on any thread. The latest is November at this point.
So what had happened:
I got an email on Thursday night (8/24) and offered interview slots for Saturday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I took the Tuesday (8/29) interview date.
Everyone who showed up on Tuesday was in-state/Maryland. I think that they hadn't originally planned for an interview that Tuesday, but wanted to try filling up the slots so they contacted people nearby to see if they could make it. I obviously don't know this for sure, but that's the idea we all got.

Interviews run until March 7th. All the dates that interviews will be held on are scheduled months and months in advance.

What happens early on in the season is that candidates don't want to be too early, so it sometimes becomes difficult to fill all the slots in the first date or two, especially on short notice. VCU is addressing that problem, and it will no longer be an issue in the future.

Interviews run until March 7th. All the dates that interviews will be held on are scheduled months and months in advance.

What happens early on in the season is that candidates don't want to be too early, so it sometimes becomes difficult to fill all the slots in the first date or two, especially on short notice. VCU is addressing that problem, and it will no longer be an issue in the future.

That makes sense. I didn't mean to say interviews didn't go until January. I meant to say I haven't seen schools scheduling out that far at this point. Most schools I see are scheduling for October or November, so I didn't expect to see January so soon. But the previous post about perhaps the local folks being offered the earlier slots (due to planning) makes sense.

That makes sense. I didn't mean to say interviews didn't go until January. I meant to say I haven't seen schools scheduling out that far at this point. Most schools I see are scheduling for October or November, so I didn't expect to see January so soon. But the previous post about perhaps the local folks being offered the earlier slots (due to planning) makes sense.

Yeah I guess I'm confused then because I am a "local" in the sense that I'm in state haha

Been on very interested status for a month now. UGH anyone know if this thing has actually led to a rejection?

Been on very interested status for a month now. UGH anyone know if this thing has actually led to a rejection?
It did a few times last year, but be patient, there's still a good chance a II will come.

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

have been stuck on this since early August. Hopefully there's still a chance for II!

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

have been stuck on this since early August. Hopefully there's still a chance for II!
+1 since 8/1